What Do You Do When You Are Playing With a SLOW Golfer

[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='02 March 2010 - 05:41 PM' timestamp='1267569665' post='2288745']
One thing I am not accused of is tippy toeing through the tulips when something needs to be said. Where that might different from what's said here and else where on the Internet - I will say what needs to be said to someone's face. If that doesn't speed the person up, I am not above phoning the pro shop and see what if anything they will do. If nothing works, I walk that much slower and enjoy another cigar. Then I have no excuse for that stinky bogie.
[/quote]

somehow I sense that you really don't hold back!!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm playing with slowpokes I know, and there are a open holes ahead with people waiting behind us, I'm usually quick to say "let's let that group behind us play through" and then I wave them on.

If they are random slowpokes the starter at a public course hooked me up with, there appear to be open holes ahead, I'll often ditch the slow group when they stop for snacks after 9 and finish by myself.

If I'm playing with people who are slow as crap on the greens, i. e. plum bobbing 3 footers and looking at them from both sides so they can win their $1 match, I'll often quickly putt out, start walking to the next tee, tee off, and stand there waiting for them. After a few holes of that they usually get the point.

If it's a casual round, I'll play out of turn and/or disregard the honors in an attempt to get it moving. If they hit out of bounds I'll say stuff like "you'll never find it in there, it's a swamp" "it went over the fence" etc. in order to dissuade them from looking for it for 5 minutes.

I'm not always ballsy enough to directly tell someone "you're slow and need to speed it up."

There are other good suggestions here, especially the one who said don't talk anytime near when they are getting ready to hit a shot, they'll stop and talk to you for 3 minutes.

I inform the slowpoke we need to hurry because I have a date with Lorena Bobbit and I dont want to make her angry at me.

hello 1993, good to see you again drinks.gif

and geez...a lady has one bad moment....

oh btw...apparently she's remarried...imagine being that guy? yikes...the first sleepover must've been interesting...bet he didn't get much sleep!

Image how much of a looser he is to marry a whack job like her.  My guess is he sleep :crazy: very well because whack o's live in denial.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I've done most if not all the above at times. At times I have played much faster than normal to make up for these inconsiderate boobs. I hate slow play, but worrying about everyone else is a sure way for me to lose concentration and play worse. So I say eff it. Let the starter, and golf committee worry about it. The only time folks get a clue is when they get a letter stating they can longer tee off before 2pm on weekends.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Socrates' date='02 March 2010 - 10:39 AM' timestamp='1267544379' post='2287755']
Watching them whack it around from 3 feet when you are behind is frustrating to the group and the group waiting. I will either pick it up or hit it back to them. A quick, "That's good" and the flag goes into the hole.
[/quote]

I must say that's one of my pet peeves. As a universal rule - don't touch another man's balls w/o permission. Happens more in the rough when someone's checking if it's their ball (usually when i'm 10 feet from getting to it wtf?). You can't give someone a putt unless you're playing a match against them.

That said, i'll just say we need to keep pace w/ the people in front of us. if it gets real bad (2 holes behind) i've left my group more than once to play ahead. There's not much you can do. slow players don't want to be rushed just as much as we don't like to get slowed down. if you can part ways i think everyone's happy (well, save the people still behind the slow group lol).

[quote name='OneBowTie' date='02 March 2010 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1267537113' post='2287542']
really..... what do you do when you are playing with someone who is slow.... I don't mean just kinda slow.... but a person who is not only holding you up, but the course up?????

I am curious to see how everybody handles this situation.....
[/quote]

On my league last night the guy we were playing with went up to the guys in front of us and said "I thought you were changing tires in the middle of the fairway on a couple of holes".

No beating around the bush there! :)

And I also played a 2-man best ball tournament in which we fell behind 1 hole after about 4 holes. The guys we were playing with would NEVER drop one guy off and drive to the other player's ball, even though they had a number of opportunities. On one hole they drove over 50 yards to the right to watch me hit my shot. WTF? On the 6th hole I felt like a parent scolding their kids. I said "Guys, you're going to have to get ready to hit your shot instead of sitting in the cart. We're a hole behind and the GAM will not have a problem penalizing us on the 9th hole". They apologized and started to play ready golf for the most part the rest of the round, and we did catch up to the group in front by the 9th hole.

I'll play with just about anybody. I don't care if they are any good or not. I just tell them "I don't care if you take a 10 on every hole, just do it quickly." When I was a kid with my dad he would always tell me that I got one practice swing and that was it. I told him I was trying to get better, he said you can get better on your own time, with me you will play quickly.

[quote name='Borthwick' date='14 July 2010 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1279160490' post='2576712']
[quote name='masterli' date='14 July 2010 - 05:24 PM' timestamp='1279142653' post='2576137']
As a universal rule - don't touch another man's balls [s]w/o permission.[/s] [/quote]

That should go without saying.
[/quote]

Edited the universal rule to indicate my own rule which is a little more general.