2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

lightest shaft with low torque

jkim021587

[quote name='jkim021587' date='28 June 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1277744010' post='2542131']
whats the lightest shaft i can find with

stiff flex
torque around 2.2~2.7
low spin/flight??
[/quote]

Grafalloy Prolaunch Red perhaps--64g in stiff flex, 3.0 torque. You might have a hard time finding a lightweight shaft that has that low of a torque. Here is a link to basic specs on a decent amount of shafts--you might find one that fits what you are looking for.

[url="http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/shafts_grips/shafts/default.asp?Filter=1"]http://www.titleist....lt.asp?Filter=1[/url]

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade Qi Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

[quote name='jkim021587' date='28 June 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1277744010' post='2542131']

stiff flex
torque around 2.2~2.7
low spin/flight??
[/quote]

Torque is probably the last shaft variable you need to be concerned about. First off there is no standard way of measuring so a 2.7 in one make of shaft may be a 3.2 in another. Second it mostly just affects feel; more torque more feel, less torque more harsh. Tip stiffness, bend point, overall profile are a lot more important.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

I think a UST ProForce V2 Stiff at 65g is about as close as you will get to what you're asking for. Any lighter and the torque # goes up. Great shaft for the $ too.

• Like 1

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

[quote name='marrigo' date='28 June 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1277745100' post='2542176']

stiff flex
torque around 2.2~2.7
low spin/flight??
[/quote]

Torque is probably the last shaft variable you need to be concerned about. First off there is no standard way of measuring so a 2.7 in one make of shaft may be a 3.2 in another. Second it mostly just affects feel; more torque more feel, less torque more harsh. Tip stiffness, bend point, overall profile are a lot more important.
[/quote]

i currently use ust v2 76 gram stiff... i duno much about bend point, tip stiffness and stuff like that but i like the harsh boardy feel i get from this shaft, helps me hit it straighter and i mentioned low torque because i remember one of the club fitters telling me that the v2 torque is much lower compared to my previous shaft, but i can feel that i lost some swing speed, well i "feel" like i lost some swing speed i duno if i really did i never went on a launch monitor or anything to see if i really did, so i was wondering maybe if theres a shaft with this harsh boardy feel but a little lighter to help me "feel" like my swing speed is faster

If you like the feel of the V2 76g shaft, but want a lighter shaft, then wouldn't a good possibility be the V2 65g shaft? I can tell you that all V2 shafts that I have used have that boardy feel. I have a V2 65g reg flex in my backup Burner driver, and V2s of varying weights in my Wilson fybrids (again, reg flex--the stiff V2 shafts are too stiff and boardy for me).

[quote name='jeffrey r' date='28 June 2010 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1277761862' post='2542792']
If you like the feel of the V2 76g shaft, but want a lighter shaft, then wouldn't a good possibility be the V2 65g shaft? I can tell you that all V2 shafts that I have used have that boardy feel. I have a V2 65g reg flex in my backup Burner driver, and V2s of varying weights in my Wilson fybrids (again, reg flex--the stiff V2 shafts are too stiff and boardy for me).

[/quote]

hmmm looks like i should try a v2 67g s

[quote name='jkim021587' date='28 June 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1277762290' post='2542813']

[/quote]

Not sure if you are near a Golfsmith, but you can pick up the V2 65g shaft from them online for in-store pickup, for $45 plus tax through tomorrow (friends and family sale). Code is FFJ10.

[url="http://www.golfsmith.com/products/4899W/UST/Proforce%20V2%2065%20Wood%20Shaft"]http://www.golfsmith...%20Wood%20Shaft[/url]

[quote name='jeffrey r' date='28 June 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1277762822' post='2542835']
[quote name='jkim021587' date='28 June 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1277762290' post='2542813']
[/quote]

Not sure if you are near a Golfsmith, but you can pick up the V2 65g shaft from them online for in-store pickup, for $45 plus tax through tomorrow (friends and family sale). Code is FFJ10.

[url="http://www.golfsmith.com/products/4899W/UST/Proforce%20V2%2065%20Wood%20Shaft"]http://www.golfsmith...%20Wood%20Shaft[/url]
[/quote]

how much to have it installed also?

:secret: [quote name='marrigo' date='28 June 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1277745100' post='2542176']
Torque is probably the last shaft variable you need to be concerned about. First off [u]there is no standard way of measuring so a 2.7 in one make of shaft may be a 3.2 in another.[/u] Second it mostly just affects feel; more torque more feel, less torque more harsh. Tip stiffness, bend point, overall profile are a lot more important.
[/quote]

Is that right? I thought that a torque measurement was pretty standardized by applying a standard torque and measuring the 'degrees of twist'.

dave

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='28 June 2010 - 08:01 PM' timestamp='1277769682' post='2543098']
:secret: [quote name='marrigo' date='28 June 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1277745100' post='2542176']
Torque is probably the last shaft variable you need to be concerned about. First off [u]there is no standard way of measuring so a 2.7 in one make of shaft may be a 3.2 in another.[/u] Second it mostly just affects feel; more torque more feel, less torque more harsh. Tip stiffness, bend point, overall profile are a lot more important.
[/quote]

Is that right? I thought that a torque measurement was pretty standardized by applying a standard torque and measuring the 'degrees of twist'.

dave
[/quote]

Depends who you talk to. Several mentions here over the years about clubbuilders finding shafts rated by OEM as very low torque being measured side by side with higher torque shafts and being comparable. So might be partially due to lack of standard and also some "alteration" of results in order to advertise lower torque rating to sell more shafts.

Just found this article, which is very interesting and does contradict some of what I said text pasted below and link here..... [url="http://www.kleesgolf.com/content/torque-important"]http://www.kleesgolf.com/content/torque-important[/url]

[i]Torque is measure by clamping a shaft at both ends and then twisting the butt end (where the grip goes). The number of degrees the tip of the shaft rotates from this twisting is the measure of torque. So a torque value of 4.5 means the tip rotated 4.5 degrees when the shaft was twisted. However, who decides how much pressure or force is applied during the twisting? Obviously, a force of 50 pounds twisting the shaft will rotate the tip more than a force of 5 pounds. There is no standard measure of force used to determine torque, which means that it may be “relative” to the force of your swing.[/i]

[i]Since the center of gravity (COG) of the clubhead is not in line with the axis of the shaft the shaft will bend and twist in every swing, regardless of speed. However, the faster the swing tempo the more the shaft will move.[/i]

[i]Again, from the Harrison Shaft website article:[/i]

[i]“During the swing the golf shaft will stay leading unless the golfer engages a second force, commonly known as delayed release or wrist snapping, at 7 to 8 o'clock hand position. A moderate delayed release will likely bring the golf shaft to a relatively straight position. The shaft will lose power at this point. A strong delayed release will cause the shaft to lag again. This results in a powerful kick to the ball at impact."[/i]

[i]In general, the golfer with the quicker tempo and faster swing speed will benefit from a lower torque shaft if he can release his hands properly. The stronger his delayed release the faster the shaft recovery he needs to optimize the performance of his club. A higher torque shaft won”t get the clubhead square quickly enough for his swing.[/i]

[i]Golfers with moderate swing speeds or smooth tempos don”t generate as much force as their faster counterparts. For these golfers a low torque shaft will tend to lead forward at impact and may not let the clubhead rotate enough to provide the kick they need to get extra distance. For slower golfers or golfers who cannot release their hands quickly a low torque shaft is likely to cost them distance or reduce the playability of a club.[/i]

[i]“Is torque important?”[/i]

[i]There are four criteria for evaluating a shaft: 1) Weight 2) Flex 3) Torque 4) Kick point. Torque ranks third in importance. A lower torque shaft that resists bending and twisting will prevent the clubhead from rotating and that should result in more consistent ball dispersion.[/i]

[i]We know that torque measures are somewhat arbitrary. This factor reduces torque”s importance as a reliable indicator of shaft value. Nonetheless, the more expensive shafts have torque measures less than 5 degrees, irrespective of weight and flex. If you are willing to spend $50 (or more) for a replacement shaft, or $30 (or more) upcharge for a non-stock shaft then torque is probably important.[/i]

[i]What shaft torque is right for me?[/i]

[i]As clubheads have gotten bigger the tendency for the clubhead to rotate has also increased. Yet, getting a shaft with the lowest torque—a shaft with the least amount of twisting—may not be the answer to getting longer, straighter drives.[/i]

[i]In general, a good rule of thumb about shaft selection is as follows:[/i]

[i]Low clubhead speed + consistently square ball strike
=>medium torque, light to medium weight, light to regular flex[/i]

[i]Low clubhead speed + inconsistent ball strike
=>Med/high torque, light to medium weight, light to regular flex[/i]

[i]Moderate head speed + consistently square ball strike
=>medium torque, medium weight, regular flex
Moderate head speed + inconsistent ball strike
=> med/high torque, medium weight, regular flex[/i]

[i]High clubhead speed + consistent ball strike
=>low torque, heavy weight, stiff flex
High clubhead speed + inconsistent ball strike
=>medium low torque, medium heavy weight, stiff flex[/i]

[i]Low torque values are less than 3.0 degrees. In general, shafts with torque values under 2.5 degrees are too difficult for most golfers to use.[/i]

[i]Medium torque values are between 3.0 and 5.0 degrees. These are the most common torque values available in high quality shafts.[/i]

[i]High torque values are over 5.0 degrees, and are common in inexpensive shafts.[/i]

[i]The better golfer you are, regardless of swing speed, the more you will notice differences in torque.[/i]

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

[quote name='sanderslongdrive' date='28 June 2010 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1277762685' post='2542830']
Aerotech Claymore.
[/quote]

+1

I just got a new Claymore MX60 F5 from Golfsmith ($80) The HEAVIEST non-LD shaft they have is the one I got (60g) and it has absolutely no problem standing up to 120+. Honestly I was a bit surprised- pleasantly. Check it out: http://www.aerotechgolfshafts.com/claymore.php

Good luck!

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='driverwedge' date='29 June 2010 - 09:35 AM' timestamp='1277822104' post='2544435']
[quote name='sanderslongdrive' date='28 June 2010 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1277762685' post='2542830']
Aerotech Claymore.
[/quote]

+1

I just got a new Claymore MX60 F5 from Golfsmith ($80) The HEAVIEST non-LD shaft they have is the one I got (60g) and it has absolutely no problem standing up to 120+. Honestly I was a bit surprised- pleasantly. Check it out: [url="http://www.aerotechgolfshafts.com/claymore.php"]http://www.aerotechg...om/claymore.php[/url]

Good luck!
[/quote]

I've got two of the Claymore MX-48's sitting here in the office. I'll be trying them in my ZL as soon as the new adapter gets here.
I understand they are super stable,

Awesome! While I can only comment on the MX60's stability (super stable- especially for the weight!), I'm interested in what you think about the 48s!

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='marrigo' date='29 June 2010 - 07:48 AM' timestamp='1277812104' post='2544148']
[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='28 June 2010 - 08:01 PM' timestamp='1277769682' post='2543098']
[/quote]

dave
[/quote]

Depends who you talk to. Several mentions here over the years about clubbuilders finding shafts rated by OEM as very low torque being measured side by side with higher torque shafts and being comparable. So might be partially due to lack of standard and also some "alteration" of results in order to advertise lower torque rating to sell more shafts.

Just found this article, which is very interesting and does contradict some of what I said text pasted below and link here..... [url="http://www.kleesgolf.com/content/torque-important"]http://www.kleesgolf...orque-important[/url]

[i]Torque is measure by clamping a shaft at both ends and then twisting the butt end (where the grip goes). The number of degrees the tip of the shaft rotates from this twisting is the measure of torque. So a torque value of 4.5 means the tip rotated 4.5 degrees when the shaft was twisted. However, who decides how much pressure or force is applied during the twisting? Obviously, a force of 50 pounds twisting the shaft will rotate the tip more than a force of 5 pounds. There is no standard measure of force used to determine torque, which means that it may be "relative" to the force of your swing.[/i]

[i]SNIP of some interesting stuff
[/i]
[/quote]

I don't recall where I saw this, but I think that the standard "applied torque" (where the degrees of twist is the torque measurement) is 1 ft lb.

dave

Brothers Golf Design Solution 130

Mine is an X @ 71 grams and 2.5 degrees torque. I believe the S is 69 grams and 2.8 degrees but I'm not sure. Check out Bryant's site.

www.myclubmaker.com

Taylormade - M2 10.5* / Motore F3
Taylormade - Jetspeed 15* / Diamana D+
Nike - VR Pro 2, 4 thru PW / RIP Tour, PX
Nike - Engage 54*
Cleveland - 588 Custom 60*
Taylormade - Ghost Tour Daytona 62

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

To what degree does torque influence how fast the clubface closes?

I hit a driver with a 10.5* loft (my starting point) and lighter weight R-flex shafts with 5.7 degrees torque. I was getting OK face hits, but clubface was 7 and 8 degrees at impact and produced low, left shots despite decent clubhead speed.

I went to a heavier R-flex with less torque, and the problem went away. Any insights?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I went to a heavier R-flex with less torque, and the problem went away. Any insights?

More than likely a result of the change in weight (or maybe swing weight depending on if it changed as well) or even a change in profile. Just because they had the same flex label doesn't mean the stiffness was the same or even close.