2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

OBAN SHAFT GIVEAWAY --- plus 5 KIYOSHI T-Shirt winners!

Paired my trusty FT-5 with a Devotion 6 04 early in the season after much whispers in this Golfwrx forum.

It was the first time my buddies have seen or heard of Oban shaft. Needless to say after 3 months of consistency and long on the fairway, 2 of them have upgraded their gear with the Kiyoshi's and now Ive got serious competitions from them. If you haven't tried oban, you're missing out!!

Now, I think a free shaft upgrade or a medium sized oban t-shirt will do the trick!!

Thanks!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just purchesed an Oban Kiyoshi 65 x stiff shaft. This will be going into a Ping G15 head. I know that this thread is for people who have already used this shaft but I feel that since I already made a purchase without even trying the shaft that I should be included. By going by all the reviews of this shaft I have no doubt that it will give me the high launch low spin I am looking for. Golf season is over in B.C., Canada but I have so much confidence that this setup is for me that I have already sold my current gamer ( Cobra S9-1 pro S/ Fubuki x) and I havent even hit my new setup yet. At-shirt(L) or better yet a new shaft for my 3 wood would be icing on the cake.
Thank you

As someone who dosen't exactly live in a huge golfing area; quality products, let alone fitting, are hard to come by. I was looking to get dialed into my driver with a decent shaft fitting. I love my driver and was looking for the right shaft. My problem was that most shafts that tend to fit my swing style, smoother tempo with less aggressive loading, were either to expensive or just didn't feel right. Hence, I decided to go out of state and see a reputable fitter.

After going through the lot of shafts in the fitting cart recommended for me, I was getting a bit discouraged as nothing I hit felt right. I was also getting aggravated that I had traveled all this way and would be going home empty handed. Numbers are one thing but if it doesn't feel right, then why play it. After turning down all the big brands, Mitsubishi Rayon, Matrix, Aldila, Graphite Design, etc. I asked about the Oban Revenge, and I'm glad that I did. Within the first few swings I immediately became hooked.

In the Oban Revenge (7 in stiff to be exact) I found a driver shaft that just felt right, like a old pair of jeans. The shaft feels perfect whether I go after it a bit or back off. My game has improved because I don't have to work, the club now works with me.

Thanks to Joe, Sakman, and Oban for the oppurtunity!

9.5° Titleist 910 D3 | UST Proforce V2 6S

15° Titleist 910 F | UST Proforce V2 7S

2-9 Mizuno MP-32 | DG S300 | 2° weak

50°, 55°, 60° Titleist TVD | DG Spinner

Never Compromise GM2 Exchange 4

As I look back on this last golf season, I can trace my good play to one decision, Oban Devotion. The worst part of my game was my driving. I was all over the course. I was in serious need of a lesson and some good equipment. The lessons were the easy part, finding something different in equipment was not. I had always played stock shafts, never been fitted and could only guess at my swingspeed. Now I needed a driver shaft that maximized my new swing. Nothing stock would work. What I wanted was a shaft that was smooth and stable. And Oban Devotion was that shaft. I added it to my TaylorMade R9 460 driver and it came alive. Straight and long but, what I love about this shaft is that if I need to take something off of it,[i] [/i]I could. It was like the shaft has a brain and knows what you are trying to do. The shaft proves that stiff doesn't have to feel like rebar. Well the 460 is history now but, the shaft lives on in my SuperTri. My handicap has dropped almost 5 strokes since last fall and Oban Devotion is the reason. Now if only you can make me a putter shaft. LOL.

[attachment=683397:021.JPG]

Ed

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Dear Oban

I am a collegiate golfer who is looking to elevate my game to the highest. Since I am a college golfer, I am not flexible in how I use my money since every penny I have goes towards school :( ......My long game overall is great with the exception of my driver. I have a titleist driver wiith a UST shaft, but it seems as if I just don't have enough confidence. I have had other shafts as well: diamana, fubuki, Rombax, voodoo, and you name I've probably tested with it. I have heard good things about what the Oban shaft can do so I hope I win this!!! If I do, I think it will have a huge impact on my driving game - which I desperately need because it's hurting my game.

Thanks!!!!

Dear Oban

I am a collegiate golfer who is looking to elevate my game to the highest. Since I am a college golfer, I am not flexible in how I use my money since every penny I have goes towards school :( ......My long game overall is great with the exception of my driver. I have a titleist driver wiith a UST shaft, but it seems as if I just don't have enough confidence. I have had other shafts as well: diamana, fubuki, Rombax, voodoo, and you name I've probably tested with it. I have heard good things about what the Oban shaft can do so I hope I win this!!! If I do, I think it will have a huge impact on my driving game - which I desperately need because it's hurting my game.

Thanks!!!!

I play the Devotion 7 05 in a 9.5 r9. I absolutely love the feel and how straight/ consistent I hit my driver now. Before the switch my driver spin was around 4k with a Ft-Iq with a fubuki 63s. Since the switch my spin is down to around 2700 and I need another shaft to put into my ft-tour. The Devotion has changed my game by before I would hit my drives around 280 carry with little to no roll. Now it carries around 290 and I get 15- 20 yards of roll on average.

I recommend everyone to try this shaft if you have problems with spinning the driver to much/ want to lower your ball flight.

Callaway Smoke Ai ◊◊◊ 9º - HZRDUS Hulk 80 TX

Callaway Paradym ◊◊◊ 15º- HZRDUS Hulk 90 TX
Taylormade SIM UDI 20º - HZRDUS Black 105TX

Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - LA Golf L-Series 5
Callaway MD5 52º - LA Golf L-Series 5
Titleist SM9 56º & 60º - LA Golf L-Series 5
Miura KM-006 - MMT Putter Concept 135

I seem to be one of the minority - low launch, low spin. So when I was looking for shafts for my new TM SuperTri there wasn't much choice! I came across the new Oban Kiyoshi and the spec looked like a good fit. That was about 2 months ago and I haven't looked back. I've got a 65 gms 04 flex and everyone asks me what that purple shaft is. Not only do I get a high and boring trajectory (yes high!), I can easily move it both ways and it's unbelievably straight. I've never used a shaft that feels this stiff and yet forgiving.

I shot my best round of the year on sat (-4 gross) and missed 1 fairway in windy conditions. I'd love to be able to wear the t-shirt under my golf shirt to know that I'm powered by Kiyoshi .... and I'm dying to give the purple monster a go in a new Titleist 910 D3.

My congrats to Oban for designing a shaft that is head and shoulders above anything else I've tried for us low launch, low spinners.

I've had a Devotion in a superquad for about 9 months now, and could not be more satisfied. I've gone through a number of shafts over the past 2 years, and they all seemed either too boardy or lacking in performance. The Devotion was the first shaft I tried that felt great, and performed. It's difficult to describe, but this shaft almost feels a little loose, but in a really good way. There are no dispersion issues, but you can feel the shaft load and release. Obviously, I'm extremely happy with the results...that being said, I would love to try the Kiyoshi. Thank you Oban.

Elliot

I was new to golf - and had always played stock shafts...never understood why someone would pay $250 for a SHAFT... One day I borrowed a friend of mine's Rapture V2 with the Revenge and compared it to mine with the stock shaft... WOW... I was sold on it then and there. I had to wait until I had the cash to get my V2 reshafted to get it - but it was worth the wait. Gained distance and accuracy!!!!! Handicap fell 5 strokes in a few months! Unfortunately United Airlines lost my bag and I wasn't able to convince the airline to for what my clubs REALLY were worth - so back to stock shafts...I hope to be able to afford either a new Revenge or a Kiyoshi by Christmas....unless I happen to win this!!!!

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1289494575' post='2785503']
Everyone so stocked up on Oban shafts that there's no interest in a FREE one?
[/quote]

I will not lie, I never tried an Oban shaft before! The only things and comments we are hearing about them is that they are really good. The only thing I can say is that they are nice looking and really promissing on specs and reviews. I have not posted already because I never had the chance to try one and thus cannot relate any nice story.

This contest was not aimed at me I guess, maybe that is the case for many on here and that's why you do not have fast answers like other contests!

Would love to try one for sure, maybe next year I'll get the chance!
Good luck to everybody else.

Same as some others, I haven't been lucky enough to game any Oban shafts, but during a demonstration session on TrackMan I had a great experience hitting a Devotion. I'm in the same boat as others, I've been saving up to try making a big upgrade on shafts and the Obans are at the top of my list.

I know this contest asks for past experience, but I'm certainly willing to come back to the site and give a full review should I be lucky enough to win an Oban shaft.

[b][u]My love affair with Oban Devotion

[/u][/b]It all started with reading a bunch of reviews on this "unknown" (to me at that time) shaft company. The philosophy sounded pretty good, extreme quality control, sound engineering, mid launch, low spin... and killer simple graphics. So I thought to myself, "Self, you should get one of those shafts and try it out." So I did. Picked one up and put it in my favourite driver head of all time. My adams 9015D prototype. I thought I liked this driver before, but after having a 75 gram, 04 flex shaft professionally installed, it was lights out. I knew every move in my swing. If I missed, I knew what I had done wrong because the shaft was so perfectly stable and smooth.

I've been drooling over the kiyoshi since the rumours came out about Oban's next great shaft, but the devo is definitely still doing the job. Hope my number gets called cause my wallet can't afford the upgrade right now, but there'll always be room in my bag for more Oban goodness. Plus, tour issue T-shirt? You gotta be kidding me, sign me up, I'm a sucker for tour issue anything!

TM M3 9.5 PX HZRDS Yellow 6.0
Cobra F8+ 3 wood PX LZ Handcrafted 6.0
TM M1 5 wood PX HZRDS Red 6.0
Adams V3 23 degree Attas 85 gram
Adams 9031 26 degree C-Taper Stiff
TM RocketBladez 6-9 PX LZ 5.5
Cleveland 588 Special PW 49 degree
Fourteen LE 52 degree
Scratch Custom 56 degree
Fourteen MGrind 60 degree
MannKrafted Custom Blade

Well, going into battle with my Kiyoshi powered driver again for round 2 of the 2011 season this weekend, the 21st for the Golf Channel AM tour. In my first post, I won my first event using this shaft after being fitted on trackman for it by a professional fitter. Like I said, the proof is on the golf course, and I getter better results every round with this shaft. For me, my miss hits are where this thing is really money! I'm keeping the ball in play, and not losing distance on the miss hits like I was before.
My good strikes fly very high, and hit the ground running! All reading this post who try everything, this really needs to be on your list! My torn is after the contest closes, but I will post results of how I do. This shaft makes me feel like no matter how I swing, there will be a fairway hit as a result! Confidence is everything!!!! GREAT JOB OBAN!!:clapping::yahoo:

I have been rockin the devotion for a while now and all I can say is WOW!!!! I have tried eveery shaft out there and this one kicks the crap out of everything I've tried. I love the way the shaft loads on the down swing and is extremely consistant. I would love to give the new Kiyoshi a try!!! Thanks for the opportunity.

I had an Oban Devotion 7 (05 Flex) in my Tour Burner TP. This season, I had the best driving stats of my high school golf team, and I was truly comfortable with a driver for the first time. I went two consecutive tournament rounds without missing a fairway which is unheard of for me, and my distance was up, due to reduced spin and the ability to swing harder without fearing a left miss. Sadly, my Tour Burner TP broke on me, and then I sold the shaft to help pay for some school supplies. I have gotten a new driver from Taylormade, but the shaft that is in it has no feel whatsoever, and cannot compare at all to the Devotion. I wish more than anything in the world to have a Devotion or Kiyoshi to put in the new head that I got from Taylormade. I want to feel comfortable with a driver again, like your shaft helped me to do, so thanks for this opportunity.

I play a Titleist 905T and have always played Titleist drivers. The one I hit now, and have been playing for the past 3 years, had a stiff flex stock shaft and I tried everything to stop hooking the ball, each effort to no avail. Finally I went to a local retail golf store and picked out the Oban Devotion 7, stiff flex, 75 grams off the wall. I hadnt hit it before, basically a leap of faith, and had the shaft installed. WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENECE!!! Im not saying this just because of a contest, the devotion is the best shaft for my game. It is longer, easier to control, stable, and responsive all at the same time. I am definitely not a great writer by any means, so I wont win this contest from that perspective, but this shaft has changed my game. Ive played the best rounds of my life this year, and coinicidentaly have been better off the tee. Drive for show and putt for dough???? I don't discount the importance of a solid short game, but I stuck an OBAN shaft in my driver and watched my scores drop, not to mention how much fun it is to hit strait bombs off the tee consistently.

Thanks
Logan