2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Clicgear 2.0-3.0 vs Sun Mountain v2

muzz

Thinking hard about a push cart
I am considering a push cart, I need to get off the Electric Cart, to save $ AND get some exercise.
The money saved on what would be Electric cart fees will help me justify getting a membership somewhere, as that is $450-750 (30-50 rds), possibly more if I can find the time to go more, which is entirely possible if I have a membership to a club close by.

Don't bother mentioning carrying, I've done it many times, and I'm done with it.

I just started my search last night, was looking at the SM V2, then looked into the CG 3.0, and now I am even considering the CG 2.0 (closeout pricing is good-a refurb from CG is 119 for cripes sake).
Is there a BIG difference between the 2.0 and the 3.0? I see a lot of folks saying they would just get the 2.0.
Are those differences considered "worth it" by most people on here?

From the pics I've seen, the V2 looks to have better storage/console, but the cart of the CG 3.0 looks better, is that the gist of it, or am I imagining this?

I am leaning 3.0 right now, but I wanted to get the opinion of folks that have been using them, especially folks that have used BOTH/ all 3.
I am going to look these over in person(at least the 3.0 and V2) before I buy, people that have experience with them give a much better idea of performance than looking at it in the store.
I have an ogio ozone stand bag that I'd like to keep for now- not sure if one of these is better than the other when it comes to stand bags, but I'm skeptical of the V2's attachment system from the pics I've seen.

Thanks

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat as you looking to buy my first cart to save money and get some excercise. I don't have any experience with any of them but from the things I have read people usually say go for clic gear. And as far as the 2.0 vs 3.0 most people on here have said that if buying new go for the 3.0 but its not worth it to upgrade from the 2.0 to 3.0 but the new features are worth the extra $40 to get the 3.0 as a first cart. To me its more of a 2.0 vs 3.0 race and I figure I will end up with the 3. I will probably end up getting a remanufactured one for $160 and save my money for some extra rounds.

Sorry no on hand comparrisons but I will be watching for people with hands on experience.

To cause consternation there's also Bag-Boy push carts, which do NOT cost as much and are just as good quality wise; plus one-button break-down, no brainer. My wife and I have been using Express carts for five years with -0- problems. We play golf way more then most people too, and walk rather often. Good luck.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

"Only" 1 vote might reflect people that can afford the most expensive (me) but dont' want to spend the money on those two push carts, and prefer a new cart vs. used. All a push cart needs be is dependable free-wheeling non-air tires, a brake, handle both styles of bags, a place to hold a few items, umbrella holder, no brainer compact break down and fits in a compact trunk with golf bags, then we get on with golf.

PS - I don't need my push cart to be cool... :lol:

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

Looked at the Bag Boy Express carts at TGW, they too look like good units, and are $129/169 depending on steel/alu(maybe some other stuff).
The CG looks like a broader base, so it looks more stable.....maybe not.
I used to use a pull cart many years ago, and they weren't the most stable things around.

Looked at the pics of the Quad online, wonder when that's going to be for sale.
Looks a bit odd in the pic.

Thanks for the info guys

[b]@muzz [/b]- I let go of my Express cart when walking down hills all the time. Five years its never fallen over, and I've let go on some steep hills, so has my wife. The only time they veer off is when the turf moves them, and then it wasn't much. I'll carry before I use a pull cart.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1296773315' post='2949539']
[b]@muzz [/b]- I let go of my Express cart when walking down hills all the time. Five years its never fallen over, and I've let go on some steep hills, so has my wife. The only time they veer off is when the turf moves them, and then it wasn't much. [b]I'll carry before I use a pull cart.[/b]
[/quote]

Why?
I thought you didn't need your cart to be cool.......heheheh :busted2:

[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1296775007' post='2949584']
[b]@muzz [/b]- I let go of my Express cart when walking down hills all the time. Five years its never fallen over, and I've let go on some steep hills, so has my wife. The only time they veer off is when the turf moves them, and then it wasn't much. [b]I'll carry before I use a pull cart.[/b]
[/quote]

Why?
[/quote]

I won't pick the most "popular or expensive" to be cool... I am in no way cool... least that's what my son says. I don't like pull carts because then tend to cause aches in the shoulder of the arm that's pulling. Its easier to carry with Izzo straps.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[b]@toddnt [/b]- I just ordered the seat attachment for my Bagboy. :) You'zzzz exactly right. Its going to be especially nice for tee boxes with no bench's, which seems to be common of late in AZ and CA.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1296776281' post='2949615']
[/quote]

Why?
[/quote]

I won't pick the most "popular or expensive" to be cool... I am in no way cool... least that's what my son says. I don't like pull carts because then tend to cause aches in the shoulder of the arm that's pulling. Its easier to carry with Izzo straps.
[/quote]

I hear ya, but it's not like the bagboy carts are cheap, they cost as much or more than the 2.0 new these days.
We still think your cool Pepp, don't you worry.......heheheh (cool)

Used my seat several times oday at Torrey..Uuugh 5 hours! They also have the best nets/cargo system in my opinion, Id love to see them go to solid tires![quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1296778192' post='2949674']
[b]@toddnt [/b]- I just ordered the seat attachment for my Bagboy. :) You'zzzz exactly right. Its going to be especially nice for tee boxes with no bench's, which seems to be common of late in AZ and CA.
[/quote]

The tires have slow leaks and need to be pumped up every so often and CG folds down into a smaller packeage.. Im getting rid of my truck and getting a small car..Trunk space![quote name='muzz' timestamp='1296782592' post='2949845']
[quote name='toddnt' timestamp='1296777482' post='2949649']
I have the V2, but looking at the CG 3.0.. SM V2 has a slight edge because of the seat attachment... Works well on those 5hr rounds!
[/quote]

If you have the V2, and you give it the slight edge, WHY are you looking at the 3.0 ?

Thanks
[/quote]

[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1296782104' post='2949827']
[/quote]

Why?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I hear ya, but it's not like the bagboy carts are cheap, they cost as much or more than the 2.0 new these days.
[/quote]

I didn't think cheap was desired based upon those listed at the top. On TGW the Express is 129... When they were first introduced I paid $149. Does everything that those at the top do, except have tire problems; they are solid. Plus, I have everything that comes with those at the top of the page, plus a mount for SkyCaddie and a cigar holder... and a seat on order. Me be happy comfortable camper.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='toddnt' timestamp='1296782873' post='2949854']
The tires have slow leaks and need to be pumped up every so often and CG folds down into a smaller packeage.. Im getting rid of my truck and getting a small car..Trunk space![quote name='muzz' timestamp='1296782592' post='2949845']
[quote name='toddnt' timestamp='1296777482' post='2949649']
I have the V2, but looking at the CG 3.0.. SM V2 has a slight edge because of the seat attachment... Works well on those 5hr rounds!
[/quote]

If you have the V2, and you give it the slight edge, WHY are you looking at the 3.0 ?

Thanks
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ahhhhhh yes, the slow leaks........ugggggggghhhhh
I read some of that, and even though it would seem to be the better walking system, the foam tires and their advantage in maintenance may actually make it a better decision.
Never really thought about a seat, but I've been riding a cart and resting in that when waiting.....

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1296783116' post='2949866']
[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1296782104' post='2949827']
[/quote]

Why?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't think cheap was desired based upon those listed at the top. On TGW the Express is 129... When they were first introduced I paid $149. Does everything that those at the top do, except have tire problems; they are solid. Plus, I have everything that comes with those at the top of the page, plus a mount for SkyCaddie and a cigar holder... and a seat on order. Me be happy comfortable camper.
[/quote]

You misunderstood me, when I said that I was referring to when you said "I won't pick the most "popular or expensive" to be cool.", the bagboy is right there in cost, of course it's a bit less, but it still costs.
I'm not trying to be cheap here, I know these are expensive, RIDICULOUSLY so actually, I even mentioned that in another thread a few weeks ago, but if I'm gonna spend $ on something like this, I'm gonna get something decent and well traveled by the gaming public......hence the thread.

Bagboy is not out of it, even though they weren't part of the poll.....but at this point, a few dollars either way will not sway me.

Good luck with your decision... :)

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

Clicgear 3.0..... I have a 2.0 and won't be upgrading (not worth it), but if I were buying new I would get the 3.0. Bigger console, little net, just a nice cart. The sun mountains are very nice, and might even roll a little better (barely), but they're way bigger when folded. Takes room in the vehicle, room in the garage, etc.

I have the SMV2, and I think it's the best cart. It's flaws are 1) inflatable tires that have to be inflated about once a month and 2) not very small when folded so takes up space.

I wanted the cart for it's on-course performance as I have a hatchback and SUV so trunk space isn't an issue. As to the tires, I just inflate monthly when I'm in my garage. I usually do it when I'm airing my bike tires, which need air monthly as well. I have a small electric inflater so it takes less than 2 mins to inflate my SMV2.

The roll on course is unbeatable. The storage is unbeatable. I've never had anyone who's seen it or pushed it not comment on how much nicer it is.

It holds bags incredibly well without straps, and I can get it unbagged, folded, and in my trunk in under 60 seconds. I have a huge Datrek bag with a ton of full pockets. SMV2 handles it with aplomb. I have the SMV2 cover and Speedpaq, but I don't use them often.

My only real complaint is SMV2s are expensive and rarely on sale if new.

I've had mine for over 2 years now, and I wouldn't even consider others to replace it. I would consider a CG2 or 3 for travel though when I carry less.

I have the Sun Mountain and Clikgear 2.0. They're both good but I much prefer the Clikgear. The Clik feels more solid, has a cupholder that's standard and seems to roll smoother.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I have the SM V1 and I bought it used off a buddy for $100, I love it. I won't be upgrading any time soon. Sun Mountain carts are great carts.
CG 3.0 looks awesome, in a few years I may buy one.
By the way the SM V1 replaced a 3 wheel PGA push cart I bought at Costco for $59 3 years ago. It has been great, now my son uses it.

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

I own a Clic Gear 2.0 and my course has SM available, so I have experience with both (but not 3.0 CG).

To me, CG is better built with few moving parts that can break. SM has lots of little things that don't stand up to a lot of wear (adjustment brackets being a good example).

In cool weather, I definitely prefer the foam handle on the CG versus the tape wrap on the SM.

The SM does roll a little easier, due to the narrower tire width. In winter, an advantage to SM.

CG accessories are superior, especially the shoe brush.

The CG is an amazing combination of engineering and durability.

[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1296854725' post='2951827']
Looks like they are considered very comparable in the eyes of most folks on here.
Leaning 3.0 at the moment.

Thank
[/quote]
Sun Mountain has a new push cart coming called the sv1. There is a picture somewhere in all the shots taken of the pga merchandise show posted on this site, but I could locate it again. Just another choice but I don't think it will be available until May/June.

[quote name='nodoubles' timestamp='1296877968' post='2952695']
[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1296854725' post='2951827']
Looks like they are considered very comparable in the eyes of most folks on here.
Leaning 3.0 at the moment.

Thank
[/quote]
Sun Mountain has a new push cart coming called the sv1. There is a picture somewhere in all the shots taken of the pga merchandise show posted on this site, but I could locate it again. Just another choice but I don't think it will be available until May/June.
[/quote]

Pretty sure I'll have one before May, probably by the end of March.

Thanks for the info