Nick Price WITB at the Honda Classic Pics

easyyy

1. Hitting a hosel rocket is no reason to sell a club, that responder can do it with any. Actually, the sweet spot is very close to that area IMO.
2. To me, mp63 is not a compact head by any means.
3. Hey, Mcoz, not everyone is perfect like you...wait a minute...errr...not even you are. Relax a bit with the nastiness and self praise. Opinion forum, remember? :tongue:
4. It's a shame he had to put lead tape all over that nice forging. Messes the whole thing up for me.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='cheeks' timestamp='1299086170' post='3019344']
[quote]The smaller size -- 15 percent smaller overall -- makes the clubhead easier to square up at impact.[/quote]
I tend to agree with Mr. Miura.

I am a 10 handicap and have tried and owned several 460cc drivers and although supposedly forgiving I never have blistered the sweet spot with any consistency. One day on the range I was repeatedly nutting my Titleist 906f4 3 wood ....off the tee, off the turf, it didn't matter, every swing was almost an afterthought....and wondered why everything couldn't be this easy. Thus I have moved back down to a 350cc Titleist 983e which I hit on the screws much better. I'm also smoking a 280cc Sonartec driver and may move to it once I find the right shaft.

Over the last two decades I have run the gamut on my irons as well, now back to compact heads and gaming MP-63s. I pulled my buddy's old school King Cobra oversized 4 iron out of his bag last summer, the clubs that kinda started this whole oversize mess, and wondered how the hell he hits that thing. Honestly I don't know how you can ask a high handicapper who already has issues to hit a golf ball with a highly offset snow shovel and compress it like it's supposed to be done.

I agree that more than a little of this game improvement stuff is marketing hype. The only "myth" I've bought into are (non-offset) hybrids which I do believe are the real deal.

Different strokes for different folks, play what you think works best for you. But before you do, at least take notice and contemplate the words of a wise man with boatloads of experience, like Mr. Miura
[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more, No offset hybrids are great; but all the other stuff givees me trouble. I'm a 3 and have gone back to my Mizunos mp33's and simply play better. The "band-aid" effect doesn't allow you to learn how to swing, thus "the Tour Striker" comes out. I have a 50 year old putter, 8 years old wedges, my blades, and a 460 driver, guess what gives me the most trouble. I understand I need to adapt too, but I dont think you'll improve long term until you play clubs that make you produce a proper downward strike. Interesting nick has lead tape on his higher lofted irons.

[quote name='freshprince99' timestamp='1299137954' post='3021866']
[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1299137473' post='3021863']
[quote]The smaller size -- 15 percent smaller overall -- makes the clubhead easier to square up at impact.[/quote]

I am a 10 handicap and have tried and owned several 460cc drivers and although supposedly forgiving I never have blistered the sweet spot with any consistency. One day on the range I was repeatedly nutting my Titleist 906f4 3 wood ....off the tee, off the turf, it didn't matter, every swing was almost an afterthought....and wondered why everything couldn't be this easy. Thus I have moved back down to a 350cc Titleist 983e which I hit on the screws much better. I'm also smoking a 280cc Sonartec driver and may move to it once I find the right shaft.

Over the last two decades I have run the gamut on my irons as well, now back to compact heads and gaming MP-63s. I pulled my buddy's old school King Cobra oversized 4 iron out of his bag last summer, the clubs that kinda started this whole oversize mess, and wondered how the hell he hits that thing. Honestly I don't know how you can ask a high handicapper who already has issues to hit a golf ball with a highly offset snow shovel and compress it like it's supposed to be done.

I agree that more than a little of this game improvement stuff is marketing hype. The only "myth" I've bought into are (non-offset) hybrids which I do believe are the real deal.

Different strokes for different folks, play what you think works best for you. But before you do, at least take notice and contemplate the words of a wise man with boatloads of experience, like Mr. Miura
[/quote]
Maybe you should work a little more with clubs that can help. As a 10 hdcp after 2+ decades and trying to sell anyone that smaller and less corrective clubs are the way to go----isn't selling anyone but yourself. More than half of the tour players can use the stuff you essentially despise. You really think you have a clue after 20+ years and still a 10?? Not one tour player is using a driver of less than 380cc and there may only be 2-3 of those. As a plus 2 who plays with many tour players who have to give me 2 or more a side, reality is tough medicine. Play with some tour players who are going to give an honest 10, 7-9 a side. With the clubs you are talking about, once they see what you have in the bag they will gladly up the stakes on the first tee to what ever you have the guts to play for. [b]The only sign a tour player will be wary of is an old-timer with an old well worn putter which usually indicates a very good putter to be leery of.[/b]
[/quote]

yup, all the PGA tour players are terrified of 85 year old men with worn out acushnet bullseyes.

[attachment=738064:php4a14bfc04c32b.jpg]

[/quote]

HA! Love it!

Hard to believe Nick shot a [size="5"][b]60[/b][/size] this week with this stone age technology in the bag. Something must be wrong........

;)

Mizuno MP-650 10.5* Driver, Orochi Red
MP-650 3w 15*, hybrid 19*,Orochi Red S
MP-54 3-7 Nippon 1150 S
MP-5 8-PW Nippon 1150 S
MP-R12 52* and 56*, DG Spinner
T.P. Mills Softtail

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1299326198' post='3027669']
1. Hitting a hosel rocket is no reason to sell a club, that responder can do it with any. Actually, the sweet spot is very close to that area IMO.
2. To me, mp63 is not a compact head by any means.
3. Hey, Mcoz, not everyone is perfect like you...wait a minute...errr...not even you are. Relax a bit with the nastiness and self praise. Opinion forum, remember? :tongue:
4. It's a shame he had to put lead tape all over that nice forging. Messes the whole thing up for me.
[/quote]
My comments are no different than what any club pro, teaching pro or tour pro would say in the same case.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='cheeks' timestamp='1299997467' post='3050688']
Hard to believe Nick shot a [size="5"][b]60[/b][/size] this week with this stone age technology in the bag. Something must be wrong........

;)
[/quote]
Yeah that 2 Hybrid and Long putter are from the Stone age along with that "funny looking" White headed 440cc Driver, that has been pretty pure must have had nothing to do with his 60. Judging by his comments on what that club has done to his game, I don't think he is missing his old Atrigon too much or their money that they forget to pay him, back in the day.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='proquick72' timestamp='1299158439' post='3022065']
[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1299137473' post='3021863']

[/quote]
Maybe you should work a little more with clubs that can help. As a 10 hdcp after 2+ decades and trying to sell anyone that smaller and less corrective clubs are the way to go----isn't selling anyone but yourself. More than half of the tour players can use the stuff you essentially despise. You really think you have a clue after 20+ years and still a 10?? Not one tour player is using a driver of less than 380cc and there may only be 2-3 of those. As a plus 2 who plays with many tour players who have to give me 2 or more a side, reality is tough medicine. Play with some tour players who are going to give an honest 10, 7-9 a side. With the clubs you are talking about, once they see what you have in the bag they will gladly up the stakes on the first tee to what ever you have the guts to play for. The only sign a tour player will be wary of is an old-timer with an old well worn putter which usually indicates a very good putter to be leery of.
[/quote]

Do they offer a 1 and 2 iron? Noone really does anymore :black eye:

Also, people have certain clubs that look right to their eyes. I grew up playing my grandads old macgregor blades that were super hard to hit. I play once in a while with a set of arnold palmer tru-matics and a set of Mac 71 customs. The small head looks right to my eye. I hate offset. Some pros can hit GI clubs and some cant break 70 with them. Whenever I play with my friends clubs I cant play well, due to the offset or larger clubhead. Dont knock peoples preference in clubs. Maybe GI clubs would make his game worse. Reality is finding which clubs help you pay better, not the Golf Channel telling you that you need the biggest club possible because Charlie Howell does. "To each his own". I do believe people should hit the most forgiving club that they can bare to look at. For some, its a tiny blade. For some its Super Game improvement club.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure if he can get chrome babies Mr. Miura could whip together the 1 and 2 for Nick.

[quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1299100220' post='3020205']
I play mbs and they look hard to hit.

wk
[/quote]
but, are they?

Taylormade M1 10.5* with Diamana Whiteboard S 70g shaft
Titleist 917 D2 3 wood with a Diamana 70 5ct S shaft
Ping Anser 20* hybrid,
Ping Anser 23* hybrid,
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW with KBS Tour 120 stiff shafts
50*, 54* & 60* Titleist SM6 wedges
Byron Morgan DH89 SS with Super Stroke 1.0 grip

Ive been playing the baby blades for 2 years, love them ! absolutely easy to hit ! [attachment=746654:Sydney-20110206-00032.jpg]

And yes you can have them chromed !

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

Nick Price puts in the Miura "Small Blade".

What I find so interesting is the explanation on the Miura website about these heads. Here is a quote from Katsuhiro Miura... "I have a special pride in this club," Mr. Miura says. "That's because it's so easy to hit."

http://www.miuragolf...ies57_blade.asp

This new Miura "Series 1957" Classic design blade goes through the same forging process which makes the Miura Irons so successful in the consistency of the strike of the ball and in terms of feel. "I have a special pride in this club," Mr. Miura says. "That's because it's so easy to hit."

A small blade? Easy to hit? In Mr. Miura's innovative mind, it makes sense. He doesn't buy in to the myth that small, blade-like heads have to be hard to hit. Instead, he encourages recreational golfers to try this pleasing design. The smaller size -- 15 percent smaller overall -- makes the clubhead easier to square up at impact. But Mr. Miura was careful to make the face dense and substantial, to deliver a robust impact and an aggressive ball flight.

The smaller head also glides through the turf easily -- and Mr. Miura added key touches in the design to enhance this advantage. For instance, examine the heel and the toe. The corners are ground upward ever so slightly. It's barely enough to notice, but it's enough "relief" to ensure the best path for the club through the turf.

"I'm always looking for new ways to help the recreational player hit the ball more easily," Mr. Miura says. "With this design, you really just have to put your swing on it" -- and here he smiles -- "In a way, we've done the thinking for you, so you can just play and enjoy."

Are the with conforming grooves? I can't see the cirkel K glare.gif

Nick is truly one of the class guys in the game, have numerous experiences to back this up and still have a set of no-logo irons that he used for a while that were designed by Tom Stites back in the old Impact Golf Technologies days. His irons through the years have kept a very consistent profile and the same x300 DG shaft.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

• 2 weeks later...
The smaller size -- 15 percent smaller overall -- makes the clubhead easier to square up at impact.

Maybe you should work a little more with clubs that can help. As a 10 hdcp after 2+ decades and trying to sell anyone that smaller and less corrective clubs are the way to go----isn't selling anyone but yourself. More than half of the tour players can use the stuff you essentially despise. You really think you have a clue after 20+ years and still a 10?? Not one tour player is using a driver of less than 380cc and there may only be 2-3 of those. As a plus 2 who plays with many tour players who have to give me 2 or more a side, reality is tough medicine. Play with some tour players who are going to give an honest 10, 7-9 a side. With the clubs you are talking about, once they see what you have in the bag they will gladly up the stakes on the first tee to what ever you have the guts to play for. The only sign a tour player will be wary of is an old-timer with an old well worn putter which usually indicates a very good putter to be leery of.

Do they offer a 1 and 2 iron? Noone really does anymore black eye.gif

Also, people have certain clubs that look right to their eyes. I grew up playing my grandads old macgregor blades that were super hard to hit. I play once in a while with a set of arnold palmer tru-matics and a set of Mac 71 customs. The small head looks right to my eye. I hate offset. Some pros can hit GI clubs and some cant break 70 with them. Whenever I play with my friends clubs I cant play well, due to the offset or larger clubhead. Dont knock peoples preference in clubs. Maybe GI clubs would make his game worse. Reality is finding which clubs help you pay better, not the Golf Channel telling you that you need the biggest club possible because Charlie Howell does. "To each his own". I do believe people should hit the most forgiving club that they can bare to look at. For some, its a tiny blade. For some its Super Game improvement club.

i would agree.......i have a hell of a time hitting bigger irons and bigger drivers.........in my mind i wont be able to rotate and square the face in my backswing.......thats where it always gets messed up, the takeaway and the top of the BS.....i hit smaller forged clubs better ( not blades though)....though if i only had a choice between mumbo GI irons or a set of blades i would take the blades.....more like mp60 or any of their newer models......i also have a forged mizuno 3 wood that i can stripe solid almost everytime ( direction is subject though) and i cant hit my cleveland hi bore driver for s***.......and i am talking about contact.....direction is a whole nother story

also i am a digger....i take a pretty mean divot and players irons seem to cut through the turf easier.........the SGI clubs are like mallets, and even most of the GI clubs are mallets, they dont cut through the turf......maybe if i was a sweeper it would be different, but i was tought to compress and hit down on the ball from the very first time i swung a club

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1299080813' post='3019085']
Nick Price puts in the Miura "Small Blade".

What I find so interesting is the explanation on the Miura website about these heads. Here is a quote from Katsuhiro Miura... "I have a special pride in this club," Mr. Miura says. "That's because it's so easy to hit."

[url="http://www.miuragolf.com/series57_blade.asp"]http://www.miuragolf...ies57_blade.asp[/url]

[quote]This new Miura [b]"Series 1957" Classic design blade[/b] goes through the same forging process which makes the Miura Irons so successful in the consistency of the strike of the ball and in terms of feel. "I have a special pride in this club," Mr. Miura says. "That's because it's so easy to hit."

A small blade? Easy to hit? In Mr. Miura's innovative mind, it makes sense. He doesn't buy in to the myth that small, blade-like heads have to be hard to hit. Instead, he encourages recreational golfers to try this pleasing design. The smaller size -- 15 percent smaller overall -- makes the clubhead easier to square up at impact. But Mr. Miura was careful to make the face dense and substantial, to deliver a robust impact and an aggressive ball flight.

The smaller head also glides through the turf easily -- and Mr. Miura added key touches in the design to enhance this advantage. For instance, examine the heel and the toe. The corners are ground upward ever so slightly. It's barely enough to notice, but it's enough "relief" to ensure the best path for the club through the turf.

"I'm always looking for new ways to help the recreational player hit the ball more easily," Mr. Miura says. "With this design, you really just have to put your swing on it" -- and here he smiles -- "In a way, we've done the thinking for you, so you can just play and enjoy."[/quote]

[attachment=737633:b9c6ce328995daefe8575952ff08ff2c.jpg]
[attachment=737635:e0fd15a2d1ced7d1a4256a8d5967693a.jpg]
[attachment=737634:e1a2cf86da7d9e063365562a569d168a.jpg]
[/quote]

The muscle on these has a lot more curve than regular babies.

it just occured to me that this is the first set of miura baby blades sold to someone who can actually hit them.

partytime2.gif

In all fairness, they are super small compared to today's offerings, but the sweet spot is still the same size. They aren't that much smaller than most good old school blades. What has really changed is the size of the golf ball compared to older golf balls. The 3 iron in this set is pretty intimidating looking down on as it's nearly the size of the ball now. With that said the 6i-PW aren't that unplayable for a decent player.

+1

If you can't hit the sweet spot every time, you can't play these well. If you can, these are spectacular sticks.

I've often wondered about posters who claim low single digit handicaps yet claim that this iron or that is hard to hit.

The statement of handicap doesn't match the statement of ball striking skill!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 1 month later...

Looks more like an old Titleist shape.... oops, shouldn't say that....

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

• 2 months later...

Ive been playing the baby blades for 2 years, love them ! absolutely easy to hit !

And yes you can have them chromed !

hey i took pics like that too!

miura and bmw, goes together like peanut butter and jelly!

partytime2.gif

gorgeous club...my first set of irons was a Gene Littler Rams MB vintage 1972-1975 from the research I was able to do...2I-PW I think...sweet to hit if you catch it good but murder otherwise...still have them but I play with Callaway X-18 Pro Series with the least offset...I like the GI aspect but I also like the clean look of the MB's...my Callaway's come close to having the best of both worlds in relation to the GI performance and the MB looks...I read somewhere that the old timers actually wanted that bit of rust on the face of their irons to generate more backspin...any thoughts?

• 2 years later...