2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Putt---looking at the hole

When I putt I look at the putt from both side of the cup. Find the line and something on the line approximately 6 to 16 inches in front ofkhe ball. Iine up the putt, look at the cup, come back on the line I'm going to putt on to the ball, then look backat the cup and stroke the ball.

What I have noticed is that my putting stroke is much better and smoother when I look at the cup as opposed to looking down at the ball.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have to break down and try this. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I must 3 putt on every other hole.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1309994988' post='3370055']
[quote name='BigFishSmallPond' timestamp='1309994075' post='3370028']
This spring was spent recovering from a 3rd right shoulder rotator cuff surgery. I have been able hence to spend significant time putting and chipping in the last month. Putting, a weakness of mine came to the forefront and I experimented putting looking at the hole. I have been putting this way now exclusively for the last month and it has, to this point, totally revolutionized my putting game and attitude. It has brought confidence where I only had wishful thinking before and I am beginning to learn to try and make every putt. I am very open to hearing from all on this subject.
[/quote]

More to the point - I look at the spot to which I want to roll the ball - sometimes that is the hole, and sometimes it's somewhere else, like the high point of the arc.

Either way - it works tremendously for me for over 4 years.
[/quote]
Have to agree with this method. I pick a spot on the line between ball and hole. I aim for it have to say it has done wonders for my putting. I could count on 1 hand the 3 putts I,ve had this year.

• 2 months later...

On my lounge carpet, I am quite adept at holing out "Bagger Vance" style with my eyes closed ... wouldn't dare try it on the course though :rolleyes:

I will give the "looking at the hole" a go. I am a very inconsistent putter so anything is worth a try!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

For the last 2 weeks, since I had it delivered from the US I have been putting what is termed face on with a Lateral Line putter. Not trying to plug the putter or the style of putting but for me this really works.
I line up the putt and look at the hole (don't fixate on the hole) and putt. I find it easy and very natural.
I have only been playing for a year, currently 26 USGA and I don't have the years of putting a certain way then having to change. I played last week with a 6 handicap player and he was amazed at my method but by the 14th hole he commented that my handicap wouldn't be 26 for long. it was actually the nicest compliment I have had from a fellow player since I have been playing.
The more I use this method the more confident I get, all I can say is it works for so far.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1320240359' post='3749961']
I may have to break down and try this. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I must 3 putt on every other hole.
[/quote]
I recently purchased Dave Stockton's book, [u]Unconscious Putting[/u][b][/b]. I think this is a must read for anyone with putting woes. Stockton promotes, and his primary point, not looking at the golf ball, but [b]focusing[/b] on a spot 2-3 inches in front of the ball and rolling the ball over that spot. Similar concept and I am finding it much more than adequate for my putting issues. This book is far from technical, is an easy read, and is and will continue to be very beneficial to me.

Update: This method has definitely been a significant improvement for me, and I'm committed to it for the time being. At first, the shorter putts weren't dropping any more frequently than before, but after awhile they've been dropping pretty nicely. To be fair, I haven't kept track of my putting stats, but I'm pretty sure this is saving me at least 2-3 strokes per round.

• 4 weeks later...

I can see where putting while looking at the hole would be helpful to some, but it would require un-learing some 'old-school' lessons for me. Yes, it seems logical that if you are already looking at the hole, your won't have to worry about looking up during the stroke. However, I learned too many years ago to: take my stance, look at the hole, take practice swings, step up to the golfball, head down, eyes over the ball, pendulum swing through the ball, and listen for the ball to hit the cup. I think this approach allows one to "visualize" the desired outcome (think "be the ball Danny," [Noonan]), rather than watching it as it happens and running the risk of trying to 'steer' the ball.
The other putting lesson of a 'lifetime,' I found in a golf instruction book by Doug Ford. Basically, Ford said that the game of golf "is complicated enough, . . . so [keep it simple,] use the same grip with all 14-clubs." I think about that lesson everytime I'm watching golf on TV and the announcers are talking about how one of the pros is having putting problems--even the yips--and all the changes they have made--grip, putter, technique, all for naught.
Never a "great putter," I've always been a better-than-average putter, by sticking with those basics.

[quote name='titleistnutter' timestamp='1318247461' post='3651361']
i do this on longer putts. it genuinely works, stops any decel and makes the process more subconscious too imo
[/quote]

I too will do this on the longer putts ( about 10' and longer). Ball seems to stay on line a lot better with the occassional putting it to hard past the hole, but that doesn't happen often. I have found it better for me (under 10') to look at the ball and pick a spot about a foot or two in front and trying to roll it over that spot.

Cleveland Classic 270
R11 3 Wood/Tee XCG-V 5 wood
Ping i20's 3-PW
Vokey 50,54
Tour Issue Ghost Corza
Srixon XV / Volvik /TP-X

• 6 months later...

Just gave up on this and went back to putting conventionally. I was having a really hard time lately making consistent contact in the center of the face, and that of course was affecting distance control. That said, I went almost a year putting while looking at the hole and I feel like it taught me to be a better putter in general. Now the tempo of my stroke is much better and visualizing the distance to the hole has become much more vivid for me.

Even though I'm not doing it anymore, I highly reccommend trying it as a change of pace if you're struggling.

Great topic. The feel that always works for me while putting, chipping & pitching is to look at my target during practice swings then focus just in front of the ball for the actual stroke so I'm sure to swing through it.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

I am have been trying this a little recently. I have a habit of always leaving puts short and sometimes really short when putting normally (looking at the ball or putter). When looking at the hole, everything feels great but I seem to hit it too far. I tell myself to take a little off of it each time and have been doing pretty well but don't trust myself to not blast it by as my natural tendency with looking at the hole is to overshoot it. My putting, as with the rest of my golf game, needs some work.

• 2 weeks later...

I will look at the hole on the shorter putts, like around 3 feet to make sure I complete the stroke.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9* with Oban Isawa 55
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3hl and 5-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai smoke TD 7-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai Smoke 5h with Project X Cypher
Callaway Apex Pro  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 52 with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 56 with Nippon Modus 105
Toulon LeMans or Ai Mini Jailbird

I've been putting while looking at the hole for over a year now. It feels very natural to put this way, and I have gotten good results. Typically I have 26-30 putts per round. This past weekend, I had 8 putts on my first nine holes. I had 4 birdies with one chip in. I had some good puts, but it was actually a better chipping day. GIR was only 3 of 9. I finished the round with 21 putts for 18 holes with 6 birdies. I don't plan on switching back as long as it is working well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Gaijin_Golfer' timestamp='1351095319' post='5839213']
Tried it but quit because it doesnt work and it isnt a smart way to putt. The ONLY way that looking at the hole maybe works is if theres no break and even then, it promotes opening the shoulders, which isnt something you want in your putting stroke.
[/quote]

You forgot to include the part where this is [size=5][b]your opinion[/b][/size].

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was skeptical, but read the book “Instinct Putting: Putt Your Best Using the Breakthrough, Science-Based TargetVision Putting Technique” by Eric Alpenfels, which basically explains how beneficial looking at the hole can be for putting. I started to use the system and found it quite beneficial, especially for long putts. Distance control was much improved, though occasionally I would make quite poor contact, which would mess up both distance and line. About half way through the season I noticed that I was not putting as well either on the practice green or the course. Then it dawned on me that I was looking at the hole, but my mind was on my mechanics, my hand & arm motion. Once I started to focus on the hole again, my results improved. Thus I realized that I putt poorly when I’m focused on mechanics and making contact rather than, my target (the hole).

I have since been modifying my putting stroke and use a ‘Stockton’ type system looking a couple of inches in front of the ball. This has helped to keep my contact solid as I’m using my peripheral vision for club ball contact without being too ball focused. However I become very aware when my putting gets rough, it’s because I’m focusing on mechanics rather than feeling my target and I have often changed to looking at the hole to help me get re-focused on the target. It’s another technique that can help a duffer that doesn’t have 10hrs a day to practice.

I started doing it and forgetting about technique, i.e. shoulder rock. and have been holing a lot more. Also with doing this I have notice that I use my wrists more yet am more consistent in my distance control. I do still push a few putts now and again but feel more comfortable and like there is less pressure when concentrating on the hole and not the ball pr technique. I put it down to relying on feel.

Personal opinion all the way.

Just read Jim McLean's The Eight Step Swing He considers eyes moving off the ball a "death move"

However some Have their students hit with their eyes closed and say so much for the "death move"

“About 99 percent of my students putt better looking at the hole,” said Dana Rader, one of Golf Digest’s top 50 instructors, who runs a [url="http://www.danarader.com/"]golf academy[/url] in Charlotte, N.C. http://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/the-key-to-improved-putting-could-be-staring-right-at-the-hole/

====================

I just read the book. I have concluded that for me the entire concept is rubbish. (Until I change my mind)

The entire concept can be presented in two sentences. 1) look at the hole 2) you and the putter MUST MUST MUST be one

2) reveals the fatal flaw in the method. The book makes a big deal of claiming people throwing a ball look at the target Right? So you should putt that way.

The fatal flaw is that you have a long stick in your hand not the golf ball. You are not throwing that stick at the hole.
You are attempting to throw the stick at the ball not the hole - ALL THE WHILE NOT LOOKING AT THE BALL??? BUT LOOKING AT SOMETHING ELSE (the hole)?????

THIS IS LIKE TELLING A BASKETBALL PLAYER TO THROW THE BALL AT THE HOOP WHILE LOOKING AT HIS SHOE.

THE SYSTEM IS FATALLY FLAWED FOR THE REASON DESCRIBED the rest of the book promoting this method was filled with the standard putting blah, blah, blah.

• 2 weeks later...

have putted at the hole for 30 years. square it up, visualize the path, break and the swing path let it rip. the length of experience pays off. the touch just gets better and better over the years. short 5 footers get to be a breeze seems most misses are from bad reads. anyway ive tried to return normalcy but am way more efficient looking at the hole and dreaming of the bottom of the cup.

• 1 month later...

I voted "Tried but quit" also. Used it to help me stop hitting the putt & stopping. Helped me continue the stroke through to the hole.
I have practiced with the Lateral line Putter but have not used it in actual rounds. Very interesting concept. John Ambrose, the inventor is very accessible for questions.

I agree, the analogies are flawed. The pitcher is looking at the
target, however the batter is watching the ball.

In putting, though, since the ball is stationary and the putter
head is in very close proximity, you can obviously putt the
ball without looking at it.

I don't know why some get so argumentative over it. If you
use a high moi putter with a large sweet spot mishits are
likely minimal. I may even try it myself; but not with my
current putter, which is very unforgiving of mishits.

For those of you having success are you using blade or
mallet putters?

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

• 4 weeks later...

Only on the putting green, helps with "finding" the pace and also stops me looking at my stroke (following the putter back)

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X