New and Improved Shaft Chart

smoky25

I'm at work, so can't spend the next 30 minutes scrolling through all the pages, but can someone say if the Nippon Modus 3 shafts have been discussed and compared/added to the chart?

Only True Temper and KBS shafts is in that chart, but FCM specs is close to useless, it tells about the very butt end of the shaft only. Here is the MODUS series placed among other know shafts so you can see where they belong in terms of flex. They are very soft vs label. As an example KBS TOUR R flex is stronger than MODUS X

Looking at the chart at point 11 the Modus reads the highest at 941 of S flex shafts. Is it the strongest of those listed at this point of the shaft? If so what is the expected effect on a well struck shot?

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

I'm at work, so can't spend the next 30 minutes scrolling through all the pages, but can someone say if the Nippon Modus 3 shafts have been discussed and compared/added to the chart?

Only True Temper and KBS shafts is in that chart, but FCM specs is close to useless, it tells about the very butt end of the shaft only. Here is the MODUS series placed among other know shafts so you can see where they belong in terms of flex. They are very soft vs label. As an example KBS TOUR R flex is stronger than MODUS X

Looking at the chart at point 11 the Modus reads the highest at 941 of S flex shafts. Is it the strongest of those listed at this point of the shaft? If so what is the expected effect on a well struck shot?

That really depend on a lot of factors, but if you are able to sense what difference the latest 11 inch of the shaft has for the hole profile, you would feel a firmer tip section, but dont read the difference as a 1:1 difference, judge the difference in %.

A firmer tip section also contribute to a higher bend point in the shaft, but its still the shaft as a hole that counts, and how the player respond to that.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Hi Howard, a pleasure reading your posts. I m trying to define the better shaft for my new MP25 before completing my final spec order. I will be using a +1/2" shaft length. Order specs must be sent within 10 days

Mizuno fitting dna gave me a choice between PROJECT X 5.5 - DGS300 - KBS Tour. I tested on my golf course randomly those configuration unfortunately using MP25 white number head (6 iron, 61 deg lie) with 1/2" over standard shaft (because for us lefty its always more difficult , isn't it!).

Specifically the white head paired with the PROJECT X 5.5 RIFLE (115 grams) over length shaft (+1/2") gave me a reading of D8. Based on the chart I assume have being hitting (very well) at 5.5 FCM.Could you please confirm me those numbers ?

On previous posts I remember you saying that PX has a particular profile in particular if played at oversize length. Unfortunately Mizuno is not able to find a left handed correct head (yellow number) to be tested. So I decided to test the white head numbers with standard shaft length maybe compensating by teeing the ball up 1/2 inch. Any suggestion by you to how test the closer to my final specs would be appreciated.

In your opinion, choosing the Project X 5.5 Rifle 115 mg, using the 8 iron shaft cut at 36" on my 46 50 56 60 wedges would behave properly (8 iron trick) or the butt will be reduced too much ?

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where does an S200 fit in here? S300 SS?

Fit into what? if it was a question of BUTT CPM, then yes, they get closer, so does weight, but going SS1 adds 0.5 tip length and reduce butt length by 0.5"

• 2 weeks later...

One quick question please. Please excuse me if this was already answered. Does soft-stepping an iron shaft make it lighter? For example, if I do ssx2 on X7 for my 5 iron, would it come out lighter than a straight in X7? Thanks.

Yes it does reduce weight when we softstep since we cut of either 0,5 or 1,0 from butt so shaft weight goes down with the same that piece weight

Example Dynamic Gold 130 grams

#6 iron shaft is 130 / 38,50" = 3,37 grams pr. inch

Going SS1 = minus 1.68 gram

Going SS2 = minus 3.37 gram

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I had always wondered about this.

One quick question please. Please excuse me if this was already answered. Does soft-stepping an iron shaft make it lighter? For example, if I do ssx2 on X7 for my 5 iron, would it come out lighter than a straight in X7? Thanks.

Yes it does reduce weight when we softstep since we cut of either 0,5 or 1,0 from butt so shaft weight goes down with the same that piece weight

There is no official term for it, but i call it "comparable weight" and since we always talk shaft weight as uncut, i like to put them up this way for compare, and then we talk different weight depending on if we go strait in, hard step or soft step, so if we use the same DG 130 grams as starting point we get this weight.

HS2 = 133.4 grams

HS1 = 131.7 grams

STD = 130.0 grams

SS1 = 128.3 grams

SS2 = 126.6 grams

It looks strange since we cant "add shaft weight" but thats what happen when we hard step, just like we loose weight when we soft step, so to make the numbers "comparable" this is how i do it.

On parallel tip descending weight shaft we have more or less the same issue, but those shafts dont add or loose weight if we change tip trim for hard or soft step, but i compare them at the same "uncut length" as tapers, so if we follow the same DG example it look like this:

DGS 300 is 130 grams at 41.00" and thats 3.17 grams pr. inch

A Constant weight #6 iron is 38.50" uncut so 3.17 x 38.50 = 122 grams uncut as "comparable weight"

That means DG parallels should be compared to a 122 grams constant weight shaft.

Do the same with what ever shaft it is, its all about grams pr. inch and since uncut length might vary, those numbers might fool us if we dont do the math like this, so many has by mistake judged DG parallel as a 130 gram shaft but its not to be compared using that weight info.

Thanks a lot again!!

Looks like my choice is whether to keep KBS Tour X soft ssx2, or change to X7 ssx2, which I may or may not be able to generate enough lag. But, I just dig for a heavy shaft. :)

There is no official term for it, but i call it "comparable weight" and since we always talk shaft weight as uncut, i like to put them up this way for compare, and then we talk different weight depending on if we go strait in, hard step or soft step, so if we use the same DG 130 grams as starting point we get this weight.

HS2 = 133.4 grams

HS1 = 131.7 grams

STD = 130.0 grams

SS1 = 128.3 grams

SS2 = 126.6 grams

It looks strange since we cant "add shaft weight" but thats what happen when we hard step, just like we loose weight when we soft step, so to make the numbers "comparable" this is how i do it.

On parallel tip descending weight shaft we have more or less the same issue, but those shafts dont add or loose weight if we change tip trim for hard or soft step, but i compare them at the same "uncut length" as tapers, so if we follow the same DG example it look like this:

DGS 300 is 130 grams at 41.00" and thats 3.17 grams pr. inch

A Constant weight #6 iron is 38.50" uncut so 3.17 x 38.50 = 122 grams uncut as "comparable weight"

That means DG parallels should be compared to a 122 grams constant weight shaft.

Do the same with what ever shaft it is, its all about grams pr. inch and since uncut length might vary, those numbers might fool us if we dont do the math like this, so many has by mistake judged DG parallel as a 130 gram shaft but its not to be compared using that weight info.

Just do the math for weight difference between them, and add that amount of weight about mid way down the shaft to see if a higher weight like that is beneficial for you or not. The NEW X7 is "only" 132 grams.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Currently playing Nippon Modus 3 130 S, been playing them since last summer. Thought they were a little firm for me when I first started playing them last year. Was trying to break them in but they still feel firm and I'm not consistent with them. Looking to switch out shafts. I'm interested in information/comparisons with KBS C-tapers, Tour-V, and Tour. Also Project-X shafts. Looking for something that is a little softer and hits a little lower than the Modus 3. Any help would be awesome.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei AV White Raw X 
Taylormade SIM UDI 2-Iron
Nike Vr Pro Blades P-4 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150 
Ping Blade 2.0 Wedges 50*54*60*
Odyssey White Ice #1

Love reading Howard's posts! Lots of really good information there.

I posted this question in the DGvsPX thread but I figure I'll post it in here since it applies here too. A DG SSx2 (8i in a wedge) raises the flex point and lowers the butt frequency so you end up with a lower launching, softer feeling wedge shaft. Will a PX SSx2 do the same thing in a wedge? Is the flex profile that different with PX that it wouldn't work out the same way?

Thanks!!!

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Lets start with the most important part here, you CANT soft step the same flex and get lower launch.

The #8 iron spinner trick is using a flex stronger (about 10 CPM), so we talk S300 in irons, and X100 #8 iron shaft for wedge, THEN we get a lower launch, but its simply because the shaft we now use is stronger than a S300 #9 iron shaft, we went a hole flex up, and soft stepped only 1x compared to "strait in".

Yes the same can be done with most shafts, and some does it using the same flex as they have in irons, its NOT the same, but thats a option too for those who want a softer feel in wedge, but on full shots it will launch higher than a shaft made using the #8 iron spinner trick, and again its flex as a hole who is the major difference.

When we use the #8 iron spinner trick, we go stronger than if we used the standard #9 iron shaft for wedge as normal, but we loose weight equal to SS1 (uncut shaft weight / uncut length = grams pr. inch x 0.5) A DG X100 #8 iron shaft should be judged as 128.5 grams as uncut as a example.

A few words about shaft weight, flex and anatomy when we soft step DG X100 Tapers.

The shortest is the #9 iron shaft at 130 grams.

Butt vs Tipp has 2 inch difference to S300

That means we can soft step a DG X100 shaft 4x before we have a shaft with the same anatomy as S300 #9 iron shaft. (equal tip and butt length)

For each time we soft step we loose the weight of 0.5 inch, so to be able to judge "uncut shaft weight" we should adjust our numbers like this.

#9 - 130 grams / 37.00 = 3.51 grams pr.inch

#8 - 130 grams / 37.50 = 3.46 grams pr.inch x 0.5 = 1.73 grams down = 128.3

#7 - 130 grams / 38.00 = 3.42 grams pr.inch x 1.0 = 3.42 grams down = 126.6

#6 - 130 grams / 38.50 = 3.37 grams pr.inch x 1.5 = 5.05 grams down = 125.0

#5 - 130 grams / 39.00 = 3.33 grams pr inch x 2.0 = 6.66 grams down = 123.3

Then we are able to compare shaft weight vs standard wedge options

Be aware of that the numbers only "equalize" for weight down to 37.00" as start length.

When you butt cut down to play length, weight loss further will be less on soft stepped shafts since they are lighter pr inch.

Standard wedge options

S200 #9 iron shaft = 127 grams / 37.00 = 3.43 grams pr inch

S3/X1 #9 iron shaft = 130 grams / 37.00 = 3.51 grams pr inch

S400 #9 iron shaft = 132 grams / 37.00 = 3.57 grams pr inch

Example, you play S200 wedge flex and really like the weight who is 3.43 grams pr inch

If you dont want a shaft who plays a lot stronger but "close" and wants a tweak of ball flight (lower), X100 #7 iron shaft would make it for you. (1 inch shorter tip section and 1 inch longer butt section vs S200/S300)

Lets start with the most important part here, you CANT soft step the same flex and get lower launch.

The #8 iron spinner trick is using a flex stronger (about 10 CPM), so we talk S300 in irons, and X100 #8 iron shaft for wedge, THEN we get a lower launch, but its simply because the shaft we now use is stronger than a S300 #9 iron shaft, we went a hole flex up, and soft stepped only 1x compared to "strait in".

Yes the same can be done with most shafts, and some does it using the same flex as they have in irons, its NOT the same, but thats a option too for those who want a softer feel in wedge, but on full shots it will launch higher than a shaft made using the #8 iron spinner trick, and again its flex as a hole who is the major difference.

When we use the #8 iron spinner trick, we go stronger than if we used the standard #9 iron shaft for wedge as normal, but we loose weight equal to SS1 (uncut shaft weight / uncut length = grams pr. inch x 0.5) A DG X100 #8 iron shaft should be judged as 128.5 grams as uncut as a example.

A few words about shaft weight, flex and anatomy when we soft step DG X100 Tapers.

The shortest is the #9 iron shaft at 130 grams.

Butt vs Tipp has 2 inch difference to S300

That means we can soft step a DG X100 shaft 4x before we have a shaft with the same anatomy as S300 #9 iron shaft. (equal tip and butt length)

For each time we soft step we loose the weight of 0.5 inch, so to be able to judge "uncut shaft weight" we should adjust our numbers like this.

#9 - 130 grams / 37.00 = 3.51 grams pr.inch

#8 - 130 grams / 37.50 = 3.46 grams pr.inch x 0.5 = 1.73 grams down = 128.3

#7 - 130 grams / 38.00 = 3.42 grams pr.inch x 1.0 = 3.42 grams down = 126.6

#6 - 130 grams / 38.50 = 3.37 grams pr.inch x 1.5 = 5.05 grams down = 125.0

#5 - 130 grams / 39.00 = 3.33 grams pr inch x 2.0 = 6.66 grams down = 123.3

Then we are able to compare shaft weight vs standard wedge options

Be aware of that the numbers only "equalize" for weight down to 37.00" as start length.

When you butt cut down to play length, weight loss further will be less on soft stepped shafts since they are lighter pr inch.

Standard wedge options

S200 #9 iron shaft = 127 grams / 37.00 = 3.43 grams pr inch

S3/X1 #9 iron shaft = 130 grams / 37.00 = 3.51 grams pr inch

S400 #9 iron shaft = 132 grams / 37.00 = 3.57 grams pr inch

Example, you play S200 wedge flex and really like the weight who is 3.43 grams pr inch

If you dont want a shaft who plays a lot stronger but "close" and wants a tweak of ball flight (lower), X100 #7 iron shaft would make it for you. (1 inch shorter tip section and 1 inch longer butt section vs S200/S300)

Thanks, Howard! Awesome info! I have some wedges with X200 8i shafts installed and love the weight and feel but play S400 in my irons. How do these compare in weight and flex?

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

it just like a combo of S300 irons and X100 #8 iron shafts, only 2 grams plus both places. On DG we normally se a difference in CPM close to 1 pr. gram, so your combo is expected to play 2 CPM stronger because its 2 grams plus in weight.

This rule where 1 gram is 1 CPM as average only apply to the same shaft when we weight sort DG (not soft stepped, but when we compare 2x #8 or 2x #9 shafts with the same label S or X)

it just like a combo of S300 irons and X100 #8 iron shafts, only 2 grams plus both places. On DG we normally se a difference in CPM close to 1 pr. gram, so your combo is expected to play 2 CPM stronger because its 2 grams plus in weight.

This rule where 1 gram is 1 CPM as average only apply to the same shaft when we weight sort DG (not soft stepped, but when we compare 2x #8 or 2x #9 shafts with the same label S or X)

thanks again!! I thought it may be the case but just wanted to be sure.

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

I'm in the market for shafts and iron sets as of late. Ill be playing .5" over standard length. How do you guys determine which shafts or FCM/CPMs is best for you? it all reads like chinese mostly...i do know I have around 90MPH swing speed with a 7 iron

The FCM flex system was designed by Royal Precision for RIFLE FCM shafts . NO OTHER

On RIFLE FCM we use that system both for flex match and to find a starting point for testing, NOT to choose a shaft from, its like static fitting, its ONLY a starting point, and in your case that starting point would be 6.0 if RIFLE FCM shafts was a option.

where would the newer xp115s x100 be rated at? most shaft selectors i use online recommend them based on information i provide

True Temper XP115 X100 measure FCM 6.0 if thats any help for you, but like most other shafts out there, they was NOT designed to be judged this way, and its only a tiny part of the shaft who is measured here, so to compare flex as a hole, the FCM system is totally useless, its for Rifle FCM shafts only.

So I asked this in another thread but....

So quick question. Even though the PX 6.0's cpm a tad softer than x100's from a purely design stand point should they spin less in the hands of the same player? Late release, moderate transition, longer swing. Driver SS ~115

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100