New and Improved Shaft Chart

smoky25

Without scrolling through 21 pages, does anyone know the numbers for the AMT X-100 shaft in where it falls on the graph?

In terms of flex, AMT is equal to regular DG

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

What shaft nowadays would be very similar in characteristics to the old FCM Rifle shafts? In terms of weight, bend profile, launch etc?

New Rifle FCM model from 2012 would be the closest to the old RIFLE FCM

If I was to move away from Rifle any other recommendations that would be somewhat similar?

There is no shafts "just like Rifle", so we might find a shaft thats close on most parts, but different in one, and then it will not feel or be the same.

Project X PXI series is very close to RIFLE except the butt end, and because of that, they dont work and feel the same, so you will have to start by what shaft weight you want to play, as Constant weight or Descending weight like RIFLE, there is even Ascending weight today, so instead of looking for a Chevy with a Ford Logo, just get out there and try shafts in the weight range you want, thats the best advice i can provide since no shafts out there has the same specs as RIFLE.

Look at this compare of Rifle to PXi and PX.

They might seem to be close on most zones, but then butt side has a rather big difference, and then tip to butt deflection is almost opposites of each other (Rifle becomes high launch and PXi low to mid/low), so there is no "Rifle copies" out there, and no shafts that is "very close" on all zones

http://www.golfwrx.c...39976_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Not sure what weight and flex range you want, but TT XP 115 S or X might be close on profile, but i dont have them in my DB, only butt CPM, and XP115 X measure the same as RIFLE 6.0 on the butt end , but i think it will feel stronger than RIFLE 6.0 does, so maybe a soft stepped XP 115 X might be closer as a hole (a bit higher launch and closer to RIFLE FCM 6.0, but weight is lower at 120 grams strait in for XP 115 X) http://www.truetemper.com/products/xp-115/

This chart might be handy for a compare between Descending weight and Constant weight, and if my memory is correct, you played Rifle 6.5 or 6.0 so they should be judged as 127 or 123.5 grams compared to Constant weight shafts.

http://www.golfwrx.c...18362_thumb.jpg

Thank you. What about the KBS Tour shafts? Are they somewhat similar? I see on their website you can frequency match the parallel version. The only question is whether to frequency the x flex to 6,0 or cut the 'stiff' to 6.0.

I dont have Wishons DB on this machine, but send a PM to KBS, they would help out.

KBS or Kim Braley is the son of the RIFLE designer, and Kim is the designer behind the original Project X, so they know both the shaft you play, and what they make today, so thats the place to ask and get the correct advice.

I hope you won't mind me asking a educational question for myself.

I put a Fuji Evo Speeder II TS665 in my Epic SZ and love the feel of it - I do feel like it goes a little more left than I'd like, my preference wouldn't be to draw the driver as much as I do with that shaft. That said, feels very good - and I might just tweak it to make the tip feel a little stiffer but I like to try other options.

I borrowed a Tour AD BB thinking it would be lower launching, and it was a slice machine to me and contact didn't feel soft/smooth at all, very harsh feeling.

I looked at the specs of the two shafts and they seem similar in terms of torque and other specs - out of curiosity is there anything spec-wise that I would be feeling in the BB - and also, I like the idea of the Graphite Design shafts in terms of my ability to really go at drives (which I am doing more and more as I improve), curious which of those shafts would be closest to the feel of my Speeder. I have tried to research this as best I can but figured I'd try and ask.

Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been fit for x100 on many occasions which FCM out at 6.8. After playing c-taper S+, which I like, but they're only 125, I still prefer the heavier weight. My tempo is just too quick and the weight helps. I actually even like the s400 weight better than x100 but the s400 still launch and spin too much in my testing. I noticed that the x7 SSx2 is almost the same x100 FCM. I also see that s400 FCM is 6.1, so hard stepped 2x should be around 6.7? Thus, since the x7 is 132 grams and the s400 is 132, and they FCM to be very close, would a ssx2 X7 play about the same as a hs2x s400 or is there something else I'm not considering?

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

I've been fit for x100 on many occasions which FCM out at 6.8. After playing c-taper S+, which I like, but they're only 125, I still prefer the heavier weight. My tempo is just too quick and the weight helps. I actually even like the s400 weight better than x100 but the s400 still launch and spin too much in my testing. I noticed that the x7 SSx2 is almost the same x100 FCM. I also see that s400 FCM is 6.1, so hard stepped 2x should be around 6.7? Thus, since the x7 is 132 grams and the s400 is 132, and they FCM to be very close, would a ssx2 X7 play about the same as a hs2x s400 or is there something else I'm not considering?

We cant make S400 to become TX flex like X7 is, not even close, we cant make it to play like X100 either.

If X100 is the area of flex, and S400 feels better on weight, then look for X200 or even X300 who are the "fat brothers" of X100

Dynamic Gold is sorted to sub flex on weight but was really meant to be the same, but quality control after production found some shafts to be ligher than tolerance, other to be too heavy.

For S flex they are sorted like this

S200 - shafts below 128.5 grams

S300 - shafts between 128.5 to 131.5 grams

S400 - shafts above 131.5 grams - (Tour Issue 131.5 - 132.5)

For X flex they are sorted like this

X100 shafts from 128.5 to 131.5 grams - (Tour issue 129.5 to 130.5)

X200 shafts from 131.5 to 134.5 grams

X300 shafts above 134.5 grams

If we soft step a constant weight shaft, we loose the weight equal to 0.5 inch for each step, so soft stepping X7 who is 132 grams 2 x makes them about 128.5 grams...not what you want, or hard stepping S400 2x makes them close to 136 grams...very heavy and still softer than X100 strait in.

Look for X200 or X300 - Diamond Golf have them in stock

http://www.diamondtour.com/golf-components/club-shafts/true-temper/true-temper-dynamic-gold-taper-tip-3-pw.html

We cant make S400 to become TX flex like X7 is, not even close, we cant make it to play like X100 either.

If X100 is the area of flex, and S400 feels better on weight, then look for X200 or even X300 who are the "fat brothers" of X100

Dynamic Gold is sorted to sub flex on weight but was really meant to be the same, but quality control after production found some shafts to be ligher than tolerance, other to be too heavy.

If we soft step a constant weight shaft, we loose the weight equal to 0.5 inch for each step, so soft stepping X7 who is 132 grams 2 x makes them about 128.5 grams...not what you want, or hard stepping S400 2x makes them close to 136 grams...very heavy and still softer than X100 strait in.

http://www.diamondtour.com/golf-components/club-shafts/true-temper/true-temper-dynamic-gold-taper-tip-3-pw.html

Howard,

Excellent info as always. Very helpful!

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

bought an uncut parallel .370 KBS Tour shaft to build as a demo to try out before ordering a full set of shafts. I am building a 37.25'' 6 iron Mizuno MP 64. I have a frequency meter from Kaufman. As posted before I have been playing FCM Rifle 6.5 for years. However I have lost a little speed and decided to go half a flex weaker to 6.0.

My '6.5' labelled shaft which came from Mizuno measures 334-335 CPM without a grip on it and with the head dry assembled. I decided to use this as my benchmark figure to measure flex against. Since I am going half a flex weaker I thought I would aim to build this KBS Tour to 329-330CPM dry assembled with no grip also. It will be the same length as my old shaft.

On the KBS website it says to tip trim the x flex 2 11/16'' to frequency at 6.0 for a 6 iron.

I have been trimming bit by bit to the tip and so far have nearly cut off that amount. However its frequency is still 10CPM short at 319CPM.

What is correct? The KBS instructions or should I tip trim until it comes to 329-330? Maybe my own set were stronger than 6.5???

Anyone know the answer?

bought an uncut parallel .370 KBS Tour shaft to build as a demo to try out before ordering a full set of shafts. I am building a 37.25'' 6 iron Mizuno MP 64. I have a frequency meter from Kaufman. As posted before I have been playing FCM Rifle 6.5 for years. However I have lost a little speed and decided to go half a flex weaker to 6.0.

My '6.5' labelled shaft which came from Mizuno measures 334-335 CPM without a grip on it and with the head dry assembled. I decided to use this as my benchmark figure to measure flex against. Since I am going half a flex weaker I thought I would aim to build this KBS Tour to 329-330CPM dry assembled with no grip also. It will be the same length as my old shaft.

On the KBS website it says to tip trim the x flex 2 11/16'' to frequency at 6.0 for a 6 iron.

I have been trimming bit by bit to the tip and so far have nearly cut off that amount. However its frequency is still 10CPM short at 319CPM.

What is correct? The KBS instructions or should I tip trim until it comes to 329-330? Maybe my own set were stronger than 6.5???

Anyone know the answer?

This might be several issues at once. If we really dont know how the old set was made, that could be one reason, and be aware of that RIFLE OLD model was judged using a 2.5 inch long clamp, and the conversion of numbers to a 5 inch clamp might fail, but in general we see 17 stronger as average. If your numbers is using a 5.0 clamp and we go 17 down, we are at 317-318 who is 6.8-6.9 on the FCM chart for the old model.

KBS uses the same tip trim, or 3/16 for each CPM stronger, so 3-4 CPM stronger is 9-12/16 extra (compared to their chart for 6.5)

Now when you try to make another shaft to play like them we might fail again, so start by measuring butt OD with a caliper.

If your old Rifles is just a tad larger on butt (never mind official specs, you need actual to judge this), that means clamping pressure will go down and by that CPM reading.(for the KBS if they are slightly smaller)

The same clamping pressure is needed to get "comparable numbers", but your thinking is right. No matter how strong the old set was, you want your new set to play half a flex or 5 CPM softer, so the way you try to achieve that is the way to go, but make sure shaft OD is the same so you dont get fooled by a different clamping pressure. that might mess it up so you tip trim more than you want without knowing it was butt OD who trowed off the numbers you are using for compare.

I measured the butt diameter with a digital calipers. Old Rifle was .596''. KBS shaft is difficult to measure as I havent butt trimmed it and it is stepped but the butt appears to be touch larger. Maybe .598''.

Are my old rifles actually 6.8 or 6.9? Maybe I should be using much softer shafts circa 6.0?? My 6 iron speed has dropped to 87mph although I can hit it hard and get it to 93 on Trackman but my playing speed is probably between 87-90mph

I measured the butt diameter with a digital calipers. Old Rifle was .596''. KBS shaft is difficult to measure as I havent butt trimmed it and it is stepped but the butt appears to be touch larger. Maybe .598''.

Are my old rifles actually 6.8 or 6.9? Maybe I should be using much softer shafts circa 6.0?? My 6 iron speed has dropped to 87mph although I can hit it hard and get it to 93 on Trackman but my playing speed is probably between 87-90mph

im not able ti judge what flex is right for you, but here is the FCM chart for the original RIFLE FCM, but you will like i said above, get a return value about 17 CPM higher when you use a 5.0 clamp

http://www.golfwrx.c...40#entry7447344

The NEW RIFLE FCM who came on the marked in 2012 is measured with a 5.0 clamp, but they DONT fit the offset factor of 17 CPM, they are more like 22-23 stronger vs the old chart using a 2.5 clamp, so compared to the new chart, your old Rifle is about right vs label.

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry12623050

How does a shaft that is 1" longer than stock affect the stiffness. I play KBS tour x ss 1x, but they were frequency tested and shown to be regular stiff. I was fit into x stiff straight in originally using the mizuno shaft optimizer. My ball flight is very high and looking to change my shafts.

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
9.6* G Driver -------------------------------------------------------- Fujikura Pro 61 XLR8 Tour
13.6* G Stretch 3 Wood ------------------------------------------ Fujikura Speeder Pro 73 XLR8 Tour
18* 9031 Super Proto Hybrid ----------------------------------- Diamana 82 HY
4 - GW 716 T-MB Irons(4 2* & 5 1* strong) ----------------- KBS Tour V
56 (Bent to 55*) & 60 Mac Daddy PM Grind Wedges----- KBS Tour V Wedge
Ping Cadence Anser 2 Counter Balanced
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

How does a shaft that is 1" longer than stock affect the stiffness. I play KBS tour x ss 1x, but they were frequency tested and shown to be regular stiff. I was fit into x stiff straight in originally using the mizuno shaft optimizer. My ball flight is very high and looking to change my shafts.

How was they measured, with grips on?

How was they measured, with grips on?

I'm guessing that the shaft itself. I ordered them 1" over.

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
9.6* G Driver -------------------------------------------------------- Fujikura Pro 61 XLR8 Tour
13.6* G Stretch 3 Wood ------------------------------------------ Fujikura Speeder Pro 73 XLR8 Tour
18* 9031 Super Proto Hybrid ----------------------------------- Diamana 82 HY
4 - GW 716 T-MB Irons(4 2* & 5 1* strong) ----------------- KBS Tour V
56 (Bent to 55*) & 60 Mac Daddy PM Grind Wedges----- KBS Tour V Wedge
Ping Cadence Anser 2 Counter Balanced
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

Currently playing C Taper 130X SSx1. Looking to build another set of irons with something more smooth and more forgiving in the long irons and looking at the Project X LZ. What would be the closest in FCM to what I'm currently playing: 6.5 straight in, 6.5 SSx1, 6.0 hard stepped? Set makeup is 3-PW and standard length.

http://www.diamondto...r-tip-3-pw.html

Wow, great recap...did not realize this was the set up!

#TeamTitleist
#TCC
#FJA
#VokeyWedges
Insta: @Chris92009

• 3 weeks later...

Howard did all the work. I'm just the messenger. But since you're offering, I'll take a Bud Lite.

Only thing I can tell three posts into this thread is that you're not a beer drinker. I'd have had a little more respect if you'd have just ordered "watered down whale pee". As opposed to full Budweiser, which is "full strength whale pee". Carry on, but at least order up an "Old Leghumper" or something palatable.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure this has been answered in here but cant find it in such a large chain. How does Project X compare to Dynamic Gold in terms of spin, ball flight and launch angle? Thanks in advance.

PX vs DG is the exception from the rule where launch and spin goes 1:1, so the general consensus is that PX has a slightly higher launch, but with a little less spin than DG, but it all depend on the players swing. Feel and weight is different, so do choose one vs the other based on this since ball flight is only a question of loft at impact and should be tweaked that way. Go by weight feel and dispersion, NOT ball flight.

I was at the Mizuno fitting centre. I was amazed that I was recommended the 6.5 Project X in MP5. I have been playing olf Rifle 6.5 for years and was getting the feeling that they were too stiff and heavy for me these days. I always thought that PX were more harsh feeling and played even stiffer so quite confused tbh.

Stupidly I forgot to pay attention to the Swing DNA numbers but I do recall the speed on it was 92. They also used Trackman and my 6 iron was 88mph avg but if I decided to hit one a bit harder it went to 92mph. 6.5 PX sound like a good fit??