Presidents Cup 2011 Discussion Thread (merged)

8orBetter

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1321410655' post='3805763']
[quote name='jjd975' timestamp='1321410430' post='3805749']
Really? I really like them in match 1.
[/quote]

you have to go with experience in team format and els has it. who on the u.s. side is going to have a calming influence on who?

[/quote]

[size="3"]Matt Kuchar, [/size][size="3"]Steve Stricker, [/size][size="3"]David Toms, [/size][size="3"]Jim Furyk, [/size][size="3"]Tiger Woods, [/size][size="3"]Phil Mickelson all veterans of the sport who have played on many cups. you can even put Hunter Mahan in that group you can bet he is looking for some redemption from blowing it at the ryder cup[/size]

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1321405944' post='3805353']
You can bet the farm that Scott and Tiger play in the singles on Sunday too. Kudos to Freddy and GN for pairing these guys together.
[/quote]

"Scott vs.Tiger"

This is the thread in which "TheDarkOne" finally gets his fantasy cagematch where Cameron and Tiger face off.

Right?

[quote name='dangolf' timestamp='1321410994' post='3805793']

[size="3"]Matt Kuchar, [/size][size="3"]Steve Stricker, [/size][size="3"]David Toms, [/size][size="3"]Jim Furyk, [/size][size="3"]Tiger Woods, [/size][size="3"]Phil Mickelson all veterans of the sport who have played on many cups. you can even put Hunter Mahan in that group you can bet he is looking for some redemption from blowing it at the ryder cup[/size]
[/quote]

i was talking about that particular match, not the team as a whole.

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1321411571' post='3805823']
[quote name='dangolf' timestamp='1321410994' post='3805793']
[/quote]

i was talking about that particular match, not the team as a whole.

[/quote]

you asked who on the us side is going to have a calming influence, pick one.

[quote name='dangolf' timestamp='1321411705' post='3805835']

you asked who on the us side is going to have a calming influence, pick one.
[/quote]
i meant, watson on simpson, or simpson on watson.

els will certainly have a calming influence on his side.

as for the rest of the team, its irrelevant when it comes to this particular match.

please at least try to understand where i am coming from here.

[quote name='cfortner' timestamp='1321414312' post='3806001']
There is not a chance in Hell in that adam scott will beat Tiger. When he is on a mission, there isnt a human being on this earth that can beat him
[/quote]

Elin beat the hell out of him and he was on a mission to get away. Sorry, had to :russian_roulette:

But keep in mind, this isn't Scott vs Tiger. It is a team match which those two just happen to be on the opposing teams.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1321414642' post='3806019']
Adm is taking down tiger in this match, just watch.[quote name='cfortner' timestamp='1321414312' post='3806001']
There is not a chance in Hell in that adam scott will beat Tiger. When he is on a mission, there isnt a human being on this earth that can beat him
[/quote]
[/quote]

This isn't one against one, now on Sunday when they play eachother it will be something. I'm still thinking that tiger wins.

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1321410655' post='3805763']
[quote name='jjd975' timestamp='1321410430' post='3805749']
Really? I really like them in match 1.
[/quote]

you have to go with experience in team format and els has it. who on the u.s. side is going to have a calming influence on who?

[/quote]

Not always needed. Last year Bubba and Overton did OK as rookies in Ryder Cup. I just like our putting in that match.

anybody else notice Ogilvy's limp as he walked in?

....or maybe that was just a strut from his new found confidence resulting from the killer Three Muskateers stache.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

US will win this thing. The problem with the P-Cup Inter team is that they have a language barrier and there is no comradery. Even when they had 6 of the 12 top players in the world they could not beat the US. The time the US team spends together during the Ryder Cup and PGA Tour is a huge advantage. This year is a little different with it being in Australia and all the Aussies, but I still think the language barrier with the other players is a huge disadvantage. US will win....

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1321425149' post='3806513']
US will win this thing. The problem with the P-Cup Inter team is that they have a language barrier and there is no comradery. Even when they had 6 of the 12 top players in the world they could not beat the US. The time the US team spends together during the Ryder Cup and PGA Tour is a huge advantage. This year is a little different with it being in Australia and all the Aussies, but I still think the language barrier with the other players is a huge disadvantage. US will win....
[/quote]

The language barrier isn't all that large given the guys from Asia all have enough English to get by. At the end of the day, the discussion amounts to "you've hit it in the fairway, should I try to bomb one?" It's not like they are trying to solve the European debt crisis.

I also disagree about the comaradarie. Again, language has little to do with it. (watch Marayama in 1998 who had no English - he and his team mates are rocking). It is about a shared interest, trust and respect. Friendship helps. Comaradarie and team spirit - let's see Phil and Tiger high fiving!

Ultimately it is about golfing skill and within that who holes the most putts. With Els, Allenby and Goosen you have 3 of the worst putters on tour - Els and Goosen in the team on their 2010 performance you have some serious weak spots on that front in the international team. RM experience offsets it for Els and Allenby - Internationals by a point.

[quote name='Sing Golfer' timestamp='1321444804' post='3806747']
[/quote]

The language barrier isn't all that large given the guys from Asia all have enough English to get by. At the end of the day, the discussion amounts to "you've hit it in the fairway, should I try to bomb one?" It's not like they are trying to solve the European debt crisis.

I also disagree about the comaradarie. Again, language has little to do with it. (watch Marayama in 1998 who had no English - he and his team mates are rocking). It is about a shared interest, trust and respect. Friendship helps. Comaradarie and team spirit - let's see Phil and Tiger high fiving!

Ultimately it is about golfing skill and within that who holes the most putts. With Els, Allenby and Goosen you have 3 of the worst putters on tour - Els and Goosen in the team on their 2010 performance you have some serious weak spots on that front in the international team. RM experience offsets it for Els and Allenby - Internationals by a point.
[/quote]

I disagree- you are not looking at the big picture and only what happens on the course. The Euro's will tell you that much of team play has to do with what happens behind closed doors and the relationships formed in the team room. Could you imagine the team room of the international squad? Each click of buddies all from the same regions enjoying their time together, but little time spent with the entire team together. Wife’s and children will do the same.... Then they have to go play together and act like they care for one another. This is a team and in order for teams to be successful, they have to care for each other and unit.

Have you heard the stories of Tiger, Phil and everyone else playing ping pong? All the wife’s going on a day trip and wine tasting? These are the things that make a team successful and form relationships.

If I am wrong- how can you explain the internationals failures and how the US Team looks so good in the Presidents Cup only to lose to a more united team in the Ryder Cup?

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1321459034' post='3807675']
[quote name='Sing Golfer' timestamp='1321444804' post='3806747']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree- you are not looking at the big picture and only what happens on the course. The Euro's will tell you that much of team play has to do with what happens behind closed doors and the relationships formed in the team room. Could you imagine the team room of the international squad? Each click of buddies all from the same regions enjoying their time together, but little time spent with the entire team together. Wife's and children will do the same.... Then they have to go play together and act like they care for one another. This is a team and in order for teams to be successful, they have to care for each other and unit.

Have you heard the stories of Tiger, Phil and everyone else playing ping pong? All the wife's going on a day trip and wine tasting? These are the things that make a team successful and form relationships.

If I am wrong- how can you explain the internationals failures and how the US Team looks so good in the Presidents Cup only to lose to a more united team in the Ryder Cup?
[/quote]

Two things about your statement.

1) How do you know the internationals are not doing the same or their wives not doing the same? It isn't reported to the US, but that doesn't mean that it is not happening.
2) They are not more united in the Ryder Cup IMO. It is still from various countries (Europe) just as it is with the Pres Cup and Internationals. While I don't think their is any animosity between the players, having spent some time in the UK and married to a woman from Wales, I can tell you they are not all buddy buddy either. But neither is the US for that matter.

International team has lost most of the Pres Cups because they were outplayed, not because they couldn't understand each other or had no sense of unity.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

as someone who grew up playing team sports at a high level, you don't have to like everyone on your team to play as a team. i've won multiple state titles in baseball and basketball, and i really only liked about half the guys on any of those teams. we absolutely had little groups that hung out together and avoided the others on purpose.

it's even less important in golf imo. you're playing for the guy that's right next to you more so than the other guys on your team around the course. as long as you get along and match up well with you're playing partner.....all should be fine. as long as the mentality in the team room isn't actively hostile with dudes getting into arguments, you get past the differences once you step out onto the court/field/course.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1321459854' post='3807755']

Two things about your statement.

1) How do you know the internationals are not doing the same or their wives not doing the same? It isn't reported to the US, but that doesn't mean that it is not happening.
2) They are not more united in the Ryder Cup IMO. It is still from various countries (Europe) just as it is with the Pres Cup and Internationals. While I don't think their is any animosity between the players, having spent some time in the UK and married to a woman from Wales, I can tell you they are not all buddy buddy either. But neither is the US for that matter.

International team has lost most of the Pres Cups because they were outplayed, not because they couldn't understand each other or had no sense of unity.
[/quote]
I'm sure that they are spending time together. How much conversation do you think K.T. Kim and Robert Allenby have? Or Y.E. Yang and Jason Day? Compare them to any two on the US Team. That is the difference that I am referring to and what I know makes a difference when these guys are paired together.

Look, I am not saying that you can be best buds and automatically win a match. But I do believe it is worth a stroke or two and this has been the key to past US success. I look more of the same to continue.

This International Team is a little different, given the fact that they are loaded with home town Aussies and if they win, will be the key to their success.

[quote name='urkslaven' timestamp='1321417424' post='3806185']
[quote name='cfortner' timestamp='1321414312' post='3806001']
[/quote]

Don't tell Y.E. Yang that he's from another planet!

Go Adam :)
[/quote]

Tiger definitely didn't seem to have his focus in that PGA...squandering his final round. Still, I have to give credit where it was due...Y.E. played lights out and beat the world #1 (at that time).