2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Pinehurst #2...wow...Coore and Crenshaw nailed it

volrus

I played #2 3 years ago and enjoyed it but it wasn't nearly as great of a course as I was expecting. Very good, but not great. Part of that was that I had built it up so much in my mind that there was no way it could live up to my expectations by the time I got there.

Anyway, I went back and played it again on Monday and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the course. Sure the fairways were pretty much dormant and the greens were not quite fully recovered from being aerated, but it didn't matter. That was the most fun I've ever had on a course. The changes Core and Crenshaw have made to take it back as close as possible to the original Ross design have made the course play so much better and I literally had a blast playing it. I didn't want to leave and was disappointed after I made my 10 footer for birdie on 18 because I knew that was the end.

It was also interesting to see some of the tee box locations they are adding for the U.S. Open in 2014. They are adding a tee box to number 5 that is going to make the most difficult Par 4 I've ever played play well over 500 yards. They've also added a tee box to the par 5 number 4 that I'm not sure they will be able to use due to logistics purposes. It is being added between number 3 green and number 6 tee box to add length and to give a different view of the landing area. I'm just not sure they'll be able to use it due to the amount of congestion it will add to the area.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might be adding the new boxes but I can assure you they DO NOT play 500 yard par 4's on tour. Unless they are downhill a good ways. I have played a lot of tour courses I have played in a fair amount of mini tour events. Even at Cog hill they have tee boxes that allow them too but they played everything from about 440. They had one at 465 and 18 (plays downhill) at 481. I agree with you tho the course is absolutely stunning! They hit is right on with the remake. I sat and talked to 3 older guys who run the academy there and they used footage from WW2 airplanes who still had there camera's on when they were making there turn to get back to the airbase. Very very cool.

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1322787099' post='3878187']
They might be adding the new boxes but I can assure you they DO NOT play 500 yard par 4's on tour. Unless they are downhill a good ways. I have played a lot of tour courses I have played in a fair amount of mini tour events. Even at Cog hill they have tee boxes that allow them too but they played everything from about 440. They had one at 465 and 18 (plays downhill) at 481. I agree with you tho the course is absolutely stunning! They hit is right on with the remake. I sat and talked to 3 older guys who run the academy there and they used footage from WW2 airplanes who still had there camera's on when they were making there turn to get back to the airbase. Very very cool.
[/quote]

I'm just basing it on what both of our caddies told us. They pointed out the new box on hole 5 and said those were the new tee boxes that would allow the hole to play 500 yards. Just doing a quick Google Earth measurement it is definitely right at 500 yards. The tee is elevated.

Oh I know I was out there this summer! We even walked back to it. I was playing the tips(those had some long holes if you hit the wrong part of the fairway). Golf courses are now tossing in stupid tees just to say they can do it, Everybody wants the longest number. Like Kiawah -- they are saying they are going to play the ocean course at 8100 yards. They will play it at 74xx maybe into 75xx. They want everybody in the game to think the guys pound the ball and every guy out there is hitting 330 yard 3 woods. Just not the case!

If anybody ever goes down to pinehurst you must play the course (THE COURSE) lol.

They might be adding the new boxes but I can assure you they DO NOT play 500 yard par 4's on tour.
[/quote]

We're talking the U.S. Open here, not the Bugtussle Open.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

[quote name='Simp' timestamp='1322837985' post='3880401']
They might be adding the new boxes but I can assure you they DO NOT play 500 yard par 4's on tour.
[/quote]

We're talking the U.S. Open here, not the Bugtussle Open.
[/quote]

I am talking real world application were there are 4 tour pro's who honestly carry the ball 295 in the air too. Getting into this argument is getting so old. Go play a actual tour course and play there actual tees (where they are marked) not the back tee box. You get to the markers and the sign says on the box 469 then you look at your yardage book or the marker on the tee and it is 429. How do you really think tour pro's go 3 wood 8 iron into a 460 par 4? IT DOESN'T HAPPEN. I can tell you from the tips at number 2 the course played 75xx something. If you need more examples of golf were they don't actually play the longest number on the course let me know. I can prove it time and time again.

My experience on 5 was that I hit the longest drive of the day for me (right at 290 yards) and was on the left hand side of the fairway. Then hit a 8 iron (I think) long and a little right into the back right collection area. From there I was dead. Pin was front left which meant a down hill pitch that I had no chance of stopping. Ended up making bogey with 2 pitch/chips!

They will have the tee box sure... Will they play it there NOPE. Why does it feel like I am beating a dead horse? I can show you the examples from previous US Opens that the course plays about 74xx-75xx. That is still a monster course but none of those have 500 plus yard par 4s. Most guys on tour would be then attacking with 3wd,5wd,2iron. Watch a US Open most have 4 iron into greens unless they hit a really bad drive. Again lets go back to Cog hill that course can get pushed to 7800, means all the par 3's are over 220. With one at 245. It takes golf out of golf. The USGA will never tell you what distance they are playing but the farthest point on the golf course to make them seem like monsters.

[attachment=939355:IMG00044-20110417-0713.jpg] +[quote name='volrus' timestamp='1323108979' post='3894993']
My experience on 5 was that I hit the longest drive of the day for me (right at 290 yards) and was on the left hand side of the fairway. Then hit a 8 iron (I think) long and a little right into the back right collection area. From there I was dead. Pin was front left which meant a down hill pitch that I had no chance of stopping. Ended up making bogey with 2 pitch/chips!
[/quote]

True story, I birdied that damn hole! Drive down the middle, not real long then punched a hybrid up to the front of the green that bounced up and went right by the hole and stopped 15 feet past the hole....drained the putt. The guy I was playing with was a member and said he had played the course 100 times and had never birdied it...my caddy said he had been working there 10 years and that was about the 10th birdie he had seen there....I then doubled #6 for no apparent reason ....:rolleyes:

BTW, that course is so freaking cool after the remodel...
[attachment=939353:IMG00043-20110417-0712.jpg]

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1323151727' post='3898439']
^ agreed the course is well almost perfect. The course from every tee box was hard to play because I kept saying wow lol. I do have to say I posted a pretty sweet number and my caddy made some good money.
[/quote]

I'm with you, every hole I just couldn't believe how well the hole was framed by the native sandy/wire grass areas. Absolutely the most fun I have ever had on a golf course and it rained for about 4 holes! It also helped that I shot a 77 from the white tees which is pretty good for me as a 7.2 index and the 2nd time I've ever played the course.

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1323150002' post='3898381']
They will have the tee box sure... Will they play it there NOPE. Why does it feel like I am beating a dead horse? I can show you the examples from previous US Opens that the course plays about 74xx-75xx. That is still a monster course but none of those have 500 plus yard par 4s. Most guys on tour would be then attacking with 3wd,5wd,2iron. Watch a US Open most have 4 iron into greens unless they hit a really bad drive. Again lets go back to Cog hill that course can get pushed to 7800, means all the par 3's are over 220. With one at 245. It takes golf out of golf. The USGA will never tell you what distance they are playing but the farthest point on the golf course to make them seem like monsters.
[/quote]

I wish I actually knew you so we could make a bet. If you don't think they can and will play a 500 yard par 4 you're an idiot. Especially in NC. I just moved here from Florida and I easily hit the ball 30-50 yards further up here when things are downhill not only because of the elevation but because the fairways are a lot firmer than what I am used to playing on.

And for the record, a 500 yard hole for anybody that hits the ball any distance at all is still a driver and a mid to long iron, not a 3 wood...lol

And besides if the hole is going to play at that length it's not like it's going to be "uphill into the wind both ways..."

:D

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

I would tell ya that would not be a bet you wanna take lol. I understand what you are saying. I am telling for what I have played on the mini tours, what I have played on PGA Venues- I will stand corrected the only way they will play a 500 plus yard par 4 is if it is down hill. I am not trying to brag but the list of courses I have played at my age is pretty sweet meaning I have maxed out courses with it shorter then most guys on this site for the last 4 years. Tho yes I am still longer then Cory Pavin lol. They will tell you that the hole is 520 yards or whatever but if you honestly laser it will play 480 max. (unless downhill)

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1323225283' post='3902795']
I would tell ya that would not be a bet you wanna take lol. I understand what you are saying. I am telling for what I have played on the mini tours, what I have played on PGA Venues- I will stand corrected the only way they will play a 500 plus yard par 4 is if it is down hill. I am not trying to brag but the list of courses I have played at my age is pretty sweet meaning I have maxed out courses with it shorter then most guys on this site for the last 4 years. Tho yes I am still longer then Cory Pavin lol. They will tell you that the hole is 520 yards or whatever but if you honestly laser it will play 480 max. (unless downhill)
[/quote]

I think number 5 is just a touch down hill but I could be mistaken. The tee is a little elevated but the green may be at the same elevation as the tee.

I played #2 this past Sunday. It's the first time I'd seen it in 25 years. It's still an awesome course and yes Volrus and JD, C&C absolutely "nailed it".

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='volrus' timestamp='1323278759' post='3905589']
[/quote]

I think number 5 is just a touch down hill but I could be mistaken. The tee is a little elevated but the green may be at the same elevation as the tee.
[/quote]

Actually, #5 is uphill. The tee shot runs down a hill but the approach shot is a solid 1-2 clubs uphill. And the prevailing wind on that hole is green to tee (not every day, sometimes you can catch it down wind but majority of the time it plays into the wind).

But yes, it is an uphill second shot that you have to play close to 200 from around 185.

[quote name='fairways4life' timestamp='1323355830' post='3910261']
[quote name='volrus' timestamp='1323278759' post='3905589']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually, #5 is uphill. The tee shot runs down a hill but the approach shot is a solid 1-2 clubs uphill. And the prevailing wind on that hole is green to tee (not every day, sometimes you can catch it down wind but majority of the time it plays into the wind).

But yes, it is an uphill second shot that you have to play close to 200 from around 185.
[/quote]

Yeah, I caught it down wind.

Pretty sure 18 at Atlanta Athletic Club is right at 500 yards.. Why do you think so many tour players complained about it?

And just so you know, it did play 491 on the first day.. Not 460 or 470..

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1323150002' post='3898381']
[/quote]

I'm a member there, I've seen all the changes they have done in prep for the open.

They most certainly will be using that tee at some point in the Open in 2014. Pinehurst doesn't build tees just for the heck of it.

I doubt they would completely remake the course and then make a few dummy tees