What brand makes the best carry/stand bags?

Sorry man....just scrolling through this thread as I'm looking into a new bag.....your profile pic cracked me up!!!

TaylorMade SLDR TP 9.5* w Speeder TS6.3x
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 13* w/ UST V2 75x
Ping i20 17* & 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/C-Taper 130x SS
Cleveland 588 54* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ping Hoofer hands down.

Driver:Β Titleist TSi3 | Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60TX

Fairway:Β PING G425 SFT | Diamana 'ahina 80X

Driving Iron:Β Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons:Β PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges:Β Cleveland RTX6 | Dynamic Gold TI S400

Putter:Β Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

[quote name='dxdgenert' timestamp='1332963543' post='4600249']
PING bags will last forever but are frustrating as hell to use. The leg system is goofy, the strap system is odd and the clubs seem to always get stuck towards the end.
[/quote]

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this way. I LOVE Ping as a company, and love nearly all of their equipment. I have had terrible luck with their bags, though. Like you said, legs never fully extend for me, strap system is cumbersome, prone to twisting, and lends to poor bag balance, and the clubs never seem to come in or out smoothly. Had a hoofer that was terrible to use. Traded it for a great titleist lightweight that was perfect, but, due to Ping brand loyalty traded that for a 4 under that has all the same issues as the hoofer.

My vote goes to titleist/SM. That said, I am nearly fed up with the whole concept and may be heading towards an original Jones for the simplicity.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='BCULAW' timestamp='1392304967' post='8659191']
[quote name='dxdgenert' timestamp='1332963543' post='4600249']
PING bags will last forever but are frustrating as hell to use. The leg system is goofy, the strap system is odd and the clubs seem to always get stuck towards the end.
[/quote]

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this way. I LOVE Ping as a company, and love nearly all of their equipment. I have had terrible luck with their bags, though. Like you said, legs never fully extend for me, strap system is cumbersome, prone to twisting, and lends to poor bag balance, and the clubs never seem to come in or out smoothly. Had a hoofer that was terrible to use. Traded it for a great titleist lightweight that was perfect, but, due to Ping brand loyalty traded that for a 4 under that has all the same issues as the hoofer.

My vote goes to titleist/SM. That said, I am nearly fed up with the whole concept and may be heading towards an original Jones for the simplicity.
[/quote]

Would you get it just for walking or for everything the jones bag?

Mizuno Aerolite.

Had Callaway and Titleist's before, then Mizuno GTS which I loved, lasted 2+ years. Bought 029 last year because GTO was getting dirty. 029's awesome, lightweight, full length dividers, nice assortment of pockets, great bag for walker. Can be had for 99.00

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Stopped by my club today to pay dues early and got a chance to look at the new Titleist Sta Dry Premiere....close this thread. What a carry bag that is. Top notch across the board. Stupid expensive...but I bought one anyway.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

I guess I'm alone here but I checked out the 2014 sun mountain four five and was not impressed. Maybe I'm too picky but there is no drain hole for the beverage pocket, the rivets inside the top of the bag show, and the rubber bands that hold the legs in place are a pain to use. For 220 I expect more.
Not sure what to do. I really wanted a 14 way to protect my new clubs and eliminate three clubs coming out at once because they are tangled.

New York Jets

I've had my fair share of carry bags.

Ping; The ping bag was extremely tough well built and was great to have, but the legs on the bag bent on it.

CarryliteXI; Lite bag yeah, but the side pocket broke after a few months (5-6 months) but for 40$ was a good bag and had a weird dividing system

Ogio Grom; Great carry bag a little heavy but well built. The outside to the fleece lined valuable pocket was a little messed up (cosmetic only) but very sturdy bag

Now I am using a cart bag which is the 2014 Ogio Press 8-way divider. Very lite and very sturdy.

In my personal opinion, buy a custom bag from Vessel. You have a choice from synthetic leather or sport nylon and are customizable to your choice. I don't like buying bags spicifically ment for a branded club such as a Taylormade r7 staff/carry/cart bag I want my bag to be used for many years. I am saving up for a 650$ custom deluxe staff bag made by Vessel Bags. On the website they also have carry bags for 350$. As well with my choice of a staff bag in all reality you don't need to be on a PGA Tour for it, its how the bag is going to work for you. A 6-way divider is excellent really.

Maybe you can go into your local golf shop and try out different stand bags and ask the manager or who ever is working to allow you to put clubs in the bag for a feel of what you want out of your bag and what the bag will do for you and then go to eBay and buy one used or go off of a authorized dealer who has a lot of them and selling for a bulk price.

Nike Covert VR_s 8.5 Driver, 3W, 2H
Nike Covert VR_s 4-9 iron
Nike Covert VR_s PW, AW; VR 56*S, 60*L
Nike Method 001 putter
Nike RZN Black Golf Ball
Ogio Press Cart Bag

• 1 month later...

For years my wife has mentioned a new golf bag as something she has wanted to get me as a gift, but I always tell her I'll most likely never get a new bag. Mine is an old Ping L8+, and at 28 years old is probably one of the only things you'll hear me say "they just don't make 'em like they used to" about.

TaylorMade M2 9Β° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52Β°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56Β°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

I'm brand loyal to Sun Mountain. In college I worked in a pro shop and the rep for Sun Mountain handled any issues (Very rare) right away. Some guy broke one of the stand legs (pretty sure he smashed his hybrid against it, because he was reshafting a broke hybrid same day haha), anyways I call Sun Mountain and they overnight a new bag for the guy. Pretty impressed.

Currently I use a Sun Mountain Four5 for most rounds. I really like the 14 club divider. For lighter walking rounds or just heading to the range, I use a titleist super lightweight. The Titleist are made by Sun Mountain. Both have been great for me.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Exotics E8 Tour 3W
Ping G30 5w
Honma 737V 4-10 irons
Vokey 50/54/60
Bettinardi SS7 Halfmoon

I have been using the Sun Mountain Hybrid for a year now. I walk 2x a week and ride once a week and this bag is perfect for me. When I say I walk, I mean I walk using a push cart - not carrying the bag. It is too heavy for that, but what I like is it is a cart-size bag that has stand legs for the range and it has 14 dividers.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1398314096' post='9158037']
My Ogio bag fell apart almost instantly. They took it back and gave me another. I babied the new one and it still fell apart quickly. Between the two bags I didn't make it through the season. The Ping bag I had a few seasons ago was great, just didn't last forever.
[/quote]

Several years ago, I purchased an Ogio to replace an old Ping L8+ that I'd used for a good 12 years. The Ogio suffered a leg failure within a year, so I paid for a new leg through Ogio, and it didn't fit properly. Cut my losses at that point and decided that Ogio wasn't getting any more money from me. Bought a (Sun Mountain manufactured) Titleist stand bag, and it's been holding up beautifully for over 7 years. I've even beaten on it a couple of times in fits of rage, and it suffered no more than a very small tear in the fabric. Nothing but Ping or Sun Mountain for me when this bag eventually bites the dust.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sun Mountain is still the best I've ever used.

Ping G430 10K 9* w/ Ventus Blue Velocore 5R
Ping G430 3W w/ Helium R
Ping G430 5W w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 3 hybrid w/ Paderson S
Ping G430 4 hybrid w/Paderson R
Ping G430 5 hybrid w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 7-P, Paderson R shafts

Cleveland CBX2 Zip Core 48*, RTX Zipcore 54* & 58*
LAB DF3
TaylorMade SpeedSoft Ink Blue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1328286116' post='4205275'][quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1327085566' post='4125437']
[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1327073837' post='4124127']
[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1326758119' post='4095665']
Sun mountain IMO smokes the rest if you walk. My ogio bags had zippers break and other parts totally fail after 3 months. Took it back got a sun mountain and was super pleased!
[/quote]

Ogio quality is second to none. Quality just weighs too much.
[/quote]

Not from my experience with ogio.
[/quote]

Based on my experience and reviews I've read, I'd say you've had an very usual experience, but I wouldn't be surprised that it has tainted your view of Ogio.

I own 5 Ogio bags and had one with a minor defect with the metal bucket that covers the hole where the arm strap connects to the bag. Ogio was quick to replace it.

I own 2 Sun Mountain bags...a Four 5 and a Lightning ES. The Lightning ES has some stitching that has come lose exposing a a pocket.

I also own 2 Nike bags...a Sport Performance II and a Sumo Tour Stand bag. Overall, these have been a surprise. I bought them for a good price and thought they be a cheap extra bag, but they've held up VERY well and I've found them to be very usable and functional. Only grip on Nike is the rubber feet they use. The rubber feet basically install inside the leg and they fall out over time which means you get bare metal hitting the grass or pavement. I found that you can buy some cheap rubber coverings at a local hardware store that actually solve the problem. Just put them on the end and twist them on. They work just as good (if not better) than the original rubber feet.

I've previously owned other various brands such as the Mizuno Stand Bag (can't remember which one) which developed a hole in the ball pocket and an Adidas stand bag which was absolute junk. Almost forgot...I also had a Datrek stand bag and that served me well for years until the leg deployment stand on the bottom broke.

I would honest say that Ogio, Sun Mountain and Nike golf bags are great.

Ogio is by far the most functional, but also the heaviest. I love the pockets, well designed club systems, putter pocket, etc. If feels sturdy and well constructed.

Sun Mountain is by far the most usable...it is light, easy to carry and just seems to fit really well on the back. I like the 14-way top, but I hate that it doesn't have a dedicated putter pocket. I end up squeezing my putter in a slot designed for an iron shaft. Plus, my Four 5 won't just "stand up" on it's own (with no leg deployment)...it wants to lean forward and deploy the legs. Not a big deal, but it's something I noticed. Like the Ogio, it's well constructed, but doesn't quite have the heft.

Nike Bags...by far one of the best values. You can find Nike bags for a good price and it's somewhere in between the Ogio and Sun Mountain. It has some cool functionality (not quite as good as Ogio) and it's very usable (thought not quite as good as Sun Mountain). It's somewhere right in the middle. Construction...well, my initial impression was it wouldn't be as good as Ogio or Sun Mountain, but the Nike bags have continued to remain solid. I can't knock them on the quality.[/quote] Sorry, pocket replied to this one. Mizuno Scratch Sac for carry, sadly no stand and single strapped!

44.5" X Flex Student Loans up my-
Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Tour Trusty RF Proto 55, 60
Ontic Signature Series II Blade
Sun Mountain Swift X

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Nike Hybrid performance carry and I bought my wife the Nike Air sport. Both of these bags I have been really pleased with, they are built very well and have features that I have found valuable. Both bags have a lined thermal pocket for beverages that I was keen on and does its job well. My hybrid has a 14 way top divider which is an essential for me and it keeps my grips from getting cluttered. The Air Sport only is divided 8 ways but does great for my wife and is extremely light. The strap system is very comfortable. I am quite a bag ho though and am already eyeing a Sun Mountain four 5. I am pleased overall with the value I have gotten out of the Nike. My wife’s previous bag was a Ping and it did not age well at all.

totally agree with Gdane.

I have an old 1990's Ping L8 (two straps) and it easily handles the 9 clubs I carry, my rain gear + umbrella, water bottle and other stuff. The material is very durable and the legs easily deploy.

Tried a Taylormade carry bag several years ago: too heavy.

(also have an old Ping Mantis - balky leg release; newer Ping Moonlite (2 straps) - no legs; older single strap Moonlite; Mizuno Scratch Sac - not enough cargo space)

Considering cost, weight, & cargo capacity, I prefer the old L8.

[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1394719709' post='8862259']
A while ago i discovered BIGMAX. The bags they make are outstanding. Plus: nice colors, not only boring black but bright white and flashy red.

[url="http://www.bigmaxgolf.com/"]www.bigmaxgolf.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Those look really nice. I especially like that Silencio bag. Do you know if these bags are available in the States?

[quote name='AG74683' timestamp='1406213610' post='9775295']
[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1394719709' post='8862259']
A while ago i discovered BIGMAX. The bags they make are outstanding. Plus: nice colors, not only boring black but bright white and flashy red.

[url="http://www.bigmaxgolf.com/"]www.bigmaxgolf.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Those look really nice. I especially like that Silencio bag. Do you know if these bags are available in the States?
[/quote]

Yes, they are - no idea which stores but best might be if you contact their US headquarter in California.

[color=#f00][size=4][b]USA[/b][/size][/color]
BIG MAX USA INC.
2540 Corporate PL Ste B107
Monterey Park, CA 91754
[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
[url="http://www.bigmaxgolf.com"]www.bigmaxgolf.com[/url]