What brand makes the best carry/stand bags?

I bought a Sun Mountain bag on my Pro,s say so. Worst bag I've ever had, could never get the balance right half my clubs always seemed to be hanging out, the legs don't work together so either one or the other comes out meaning you have to bang the thing down to work properly but the worst and most annoying thing was that you couldn't just reach over and unzip a pocket with one hand, they are just too floppy so you have to be a contortionist as you're walking down the fairway.
3 out of 10 for me.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tc3putter' timestamp='1423827834' post='10944441']
I bought a Sun Mountain bag on my Pro,s say so. Worst bag I've ever had, could never get the balance right half my clubs always seemed to be hanging out, the legs don't work together so either one or the other comes out meaning you have to bang the thing down to work properly but the worst and most annoying thing was that you couldn't just reach over and unzip a pocket with one hand, they are just too floppy so you have to be a contortionist as you're walking down the fairway.
3 out of 10 for me.
[/quote]

Which SM bag model did you buy? I'm looking for a new bag and I'd like to know which models to avoid. Anyone have feedback on the rain hood pouch hip pad comfort level on the hoofers?

• 3 weeks later...

My SunMountain (Titleist) StaDry works great. I can hardly wait for spring though. I gotta break out the Nike GolfWRX bag again. :)

Both bags work flawlessly. I just wish that my StaDry had a drink pocket.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

Sun Mountain is my go to bag. Currently use the hybrid since its basically a cart bag with legs. Fits great on my clicgear and gives me plenty of storage. Plus it has 14 slots and keeps my sticks from clanging together.

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1K Black 65

Titleist TSR2 16.5* Tensei 1K Black 75

Ping G425* 19* Tour 85

Ping i230 4-PW DG 120

Titleist SM9 50F/54S/58M

PXG Closer or Taylormade Spider Tour

Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

Have always used Ping Hoofers or 4 series. Both very similar in weight and functionality. I tend to stick with what works. Don't like how other stand bags tilt the bottom of the bag to a 45 degree angle off the ground when you set them down. I just can't get past that.

TaylorMade M2 9.5, Oban Devotion 75-05<br />Callaway XHot Pro 13.5<br />Titleist 913h 19*,21* Diamana D+92X<br />PXG 0311T 5-PW, KBS Tour 120<br />Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08<br />Cobra Tour Trusty 54.10<br />Titleist Vokey SM6 62.08<br />TaylorMade White Smoke Big Fontana

I've got the Nike performance stand bag and it still looks new after 3 years and a ton of rounds. For the price along with design/features. I think they hold their own against the brands others have mentioned. (Great suggestions as well) Personally, I also think Nike bags look the best in comparison to other models, just fit my style overall. They don't make my bag anymore since they replaced it with the Air Hybrid models.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

I own 2 ping hoofer xtreme bags and may pick up a ping hoofer 14. You can't go wrong with ping.

Cobra F7 11.5' Driver, Matrix Ozik TP-6 S
Cobra Fly Z XL 15' & 18' Fairway Woods with Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Miura Neo 9005G Irons, 5-PW, Project X LZ 5.0
Miura Y & C Grind Wedges 51, 55 & 59. Project X LZ 5.0
Miura KM-009 Putter

I know it sounds crazy, but it's time to throw back. I currently use a pushcart so carrying is not a usual problem for me. But when forced to, such as (no pushcarts allowed, etc.) GET A JONES!!! Jones bags look the part and will stand out on the course. Plus it only weighs 3 pounds!!! It is amazing and I absolutely love mine! Check them out at [url="http://www.jonesgolfbags.com/"]http://www.jonesgolfbags.com/[/url] they even have a special edition masters bag until April 13th. Hope this helps your decision.

[color=#0000cd][size=5] ---WITB---[/size][/color]

Driver: M2 2017 8* w/Project X PXv 39
3 Wood: XR16 14.5* w/Project X LZ 60 Handcrafted
Driving iron: Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 17* w/KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 85
Irons: Apex Pro 5-PW w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Wedges: Milled Grind Antique Bronze 50, 55, 60 w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Custom
Ball: TP5X

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 14way Titleist new this year, from the kids for Christmas, :golfer: Model TB5SX14-016

Lightweight, Plenty of storage, Valuable pocket w/ Hook, Cooler pocket, Rain gear storage, sturdy, both the bag and legs,
Clubs cascade for selection. You can get it customized if you want. Strap system works fantastic.

Best of all, it looks great with the headcovers.

Cart friendly, both riding and Push/Pull

[attachment=2712687:TB5SX14-016.jpg]

Mike M

Any thoughts on the Bennington Stand Bag, there's one with a 14 way divider and they specialize in eliminating club chatter. I've heard mixed reviews on their cart bag. The seems to be above and beyond when it comes to quality, the knock on the cart bag is the height. Cart bag is too tall for push/pull carts. The stand bag looks nice, but without any actual feedback it's hard to pull the trigger. Golfbagwarehouse.com has them if you are unfamiliar. Just trying to get some feedback before buying.
[url="http://golfbagwarehouse.com/golf-bags/stand-bags/bennington-golf-zone-stand-bag-wfo.html"]http://golfbagwarehouse.com/golf-bags/stand-bags/bennington-golf-zone-stand-bag-wfo.html[/url]

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

Any thoughts on the Bennington Stand Bag, there's one with a 14 way divider and they specialize in eliminating club chatter. I've heard mixed reviews on their cart bag. The seems to be above and beyond when it comes to quality, the knock on the cart bag is the height. Cart bag is too tall for push/pull carts. The stand bag looks nice, but without any actual feedback it's hard to pull the trigger. Golfbagwarehouse.com has them if you are unfamiliar. Just trying to get some feedback before buying.
[url="http://golfbagwarehouse.com/golf-bags/stand-bags/bennington-golf-zone-stand-bag-wfo.html"]http://golfbagwarehouse.com/golf-bags/stand-bags/bennington-golf-zone-stand-bag-wfo.html[/url]

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

[quote name='paul1406' timestamp='1429505733' post='11395913']
[url="http://golfbagwarehouse.com/golf-bags/stand-bags/bennington-golf-zone-stand-bag-wfo.html"]http://golfbagwareho...nd-bag-wfo.html[/url]
[/quote]

I used to use the Bennington Cart bag on my push cart with no major problems. The only annoyance was the Quiet Organizer system was "backwards" since it was meant for a power cart. I really liked the brand so I just recently purchased the waterproof stand bag from readygolf since it was the same price as the non waterproof version.
I only took it out for a quick 9 holes and I don't have any complaints while carrying. It weighs less than 7lbs empty so the weight was not an issue. The padding on the bag and the length of the bag made it very comfortable while walking. The length of the bag made it feel more balanced to me than previous stand bags that I had. The only gripe I have about the waterproof version is that there is no putter well on the outside of the bag. I was only researching the non waterproof version and pulled the trigger on the waterproof one without looking at it carefully. Live and learn.

I also placed the bag on my bag boy push cart but have not taken it to the course. I did not see any issues with it being too tall. Let me know if you want to see any pictures to help with your decision.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='OffCourse' timestamp='1333495904' post='4643079']
What do you people do that have the OGIO bags fail?? I've owned four now, played them all for at least a year (~100 rounds) one of them for 3 years and have sold every one of them in perfect working condition to fund the next bag.

The thing about the heavier weights is, you need to compare apples to apples; their fuller-featured bags are heavy, but my last model the Ozone was 6 lbs. with the straps, and the model I have now, last year's Velocity (basically this year's Sprint) is 4.4 lbs. with the straps. They now have an ultralite line with very light bags. Just remember, the weights they list are WITHOUT straps and the straps pretty much always weight 1/2 lb. So factor that in when you're looking at the weights. Not sure if other manufacturers do this too.

To be honest I've tried but I can't STOP using OGIO bags because of their Woode club system, it's just so good; Driver, and typically 3 woods / hybrids (2 in the Velocity) run down one side and your irons and wedges are on the other side, nearest you (for a right-handed player that drops the bag on their right side.) So it's incredibly ergonomic because the tallest clubs are farthest from you. This would work like crap for lefties though. The putter slot is also designed to only hold a putter and keeps it from touching any of the other clubs which is good for your putter (if you care, which I do not) and good for the other clubs (I do care, sucks when your graphite shafts get all torn up). And many of the their carry bags have the lift grip on top which is just an indispensable feature as far as I'm concerned.

Some clubs missing but that's another ho story...

[attachment=1102435:IMAG0224.jpg]
That's the Velocity
[/quote]

I just bought used Ogio Grom off eBay with the Woode club system. It is the best set-up I've seen to date. Bag is ok too. But the quality isnt nearly as nice as my Titleist/Sun Mountain bag. I just needed more room for midsize grips. Still using the Titleist for going to the range.

Ping G425 LST - / Black Ops stiff shaft
Titleist 915F  15*
Titleist 915H - 21° 3-Hybrid
Titleist- 718 AP1s 4-GW,
Vokey- SM9s - 52*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Cam GoLo 6
Titleist Tour Speed

I've owned just about every carry bag PING's made in the last 25 years, including an L8, Hoofer, Hoofer2, Hoofer Xtreme, and I currently have my weapons in a Hoofer 14. It really is a combination of the best things PING's done in their bags, in my opinion.
Pros: Not too heavy, lots of pockets, straps are great, legs are super stable, good looking, nice water bottle pocket, cool little clip for holding keys.
Negs: None of the 14 slots are big enough to accommodate an oversized putter grip. This was an issue when I had a Superstroke 3.0 on my old putter. Now I'm back to my Scotty with the original grip, so no issue. Other neg is that the legs don't want to stay retracted when it's strapped on my pushcart.

I got a Callaway Hyperlite when I made the All-Navy golf team last year, and it's also a great little bag...six way divider on top, otherwise pretty similar in terms of function to the PING. I liked the Velcro patch for holding gloves and the pen holder, just nice little touches. Didn't prefer the leg system, but that's because I'm spoiled on PING's hoofer system.

In the end had to keep the sticks in my Hoofer 14 because it had been a recent present from the wife, no way I was going to be allowed to bench it so early - not even for the All-Navy bag.

Driver: Stealth 2 9*
3-Metal: TSi2 13.5* at D4 (+0.75)

5-Metal:  0341 Gen2 18*

4-Hybrid:  i25 22* 
Irons: i210 5-U
Wedges: SM8 54D, SM9 60M
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2MCS 
Ball: -Pro-V1x 

My first vote is for Ping by a long shot and next in line would be Sun Mountain (by way of Titleist's 2012 Ultra Lightweight bag and SM's 3.5).

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Everyone had different experience with every oem. Thats kind of funny. After reading all the thread, there is absolutely no winner. I bought a push cart/ cart bag combo a month ago. Love it. ( ogio gotham ). Now i need a new stand bag because i returned my sun mountain 3.5 because of the straps, just wasnt for me. Was going hoofer direction but after reading bad reviews here, is just hard to pull hard the triger.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

I had a sun mountain four 5..liked it a lot and the 14way divider was nice but didn't love it. Moved to the Ping hoofer and like it much more but still don't love it, especially since I push cart it now. I have a Datrek CB lite coming in for the push cart and am hoping to finally stop playing Golf Bag Roulette. My buddies love that I don't settle for one damn thing because they always get my extras for a song.

I will add that I have gone through 3 Ogio golf bags and they all failed on me. For quality I would put Ping and Sun mountain...Ogio will not get my business again even if their cs is really top notch.

• 4 weeks later...