What brand makes the best carry/stand bags?

New Sun Mountain 2.5+

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Ogio not because I think they make the BEST bags, but because I like the Wood-E arrangement best... works well for both walking and reversed for riding.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

It's tough not to say Sun Mountain if you want to carry or just want something light - 9 inch diameter and 2.5+ and 3.5LS

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone used the Travis Mathew Stand Bag (or Boroff)? I was just perusing their website looking at Black Friday deals and saw these bags. I had no idea they made bags but these look pretty nice. I Google searched looking for reviews and only found 1 which is odd... Figured maybe my GolfWRX brothers have some some feedback? Thanks!

Titleist 917 D2 9.5
Titleist 913 F-d 13.5 & 18
Ping G25 3-PW
Cleveland CG15 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"
Apparel by Travis Mathew, Titleist, Nike, Ping, Footjoy, Adidas, Ogio, Under Armour, Oakley

Sun Mountain has an amazing selection of stand bags. Great quality too.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Sun Mountain 3.5 and a SM Speed Cart Bag DLX for many years each. A zipper finally failed on the 3.5 (and the stand was getting weak) so I replaced it with a Ping Hoofer. You Hoofer fan boys better not be lying to me! I plan on using it for a long time.

I agree with several people above: Sun Mountain and Ping make the best bags. They both seem to put a lot of thought in the design and use high quality materials. Sun Mountain service is top-notch, too. They replaced the brake cable on my Speed Cart after 15 years based on a phone call alone - no proof of purchase or returning the damaged part.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

• 1 month later...

So I'm between 3 bags. I tend to overthink these things so bare with me as I try to convey a stream on conscious...

Let me paint the scene... I've had a Sun Mountain for 3.5 years (that's ironic). I loved everything about it for the first 2 years. Then a few weird quirks started bugging me:

1) putting on the rain hood is a huge PITA and I feel like I forget how to do it each time I do it, it's not impossible, but so much harder than any other bag I've ever owned;

2) one of the openings for clubs continues to "catch" an iron when I try to pull it out... It's like the club is literally stuck and it will not come out. I got annoyed and forced the club out and it effin tore my grip!!! So now I I have to remove a bunch of clubs so I can squeeze me arm in and move it around so the club comes out...

3) the legs are tired from use because they are starting to lag open while I carry it a lot.

So I'm between a Ping Hoofer, another SM 3.5 LS (not sure why they added the LS, but whatevs), and the TM FlexTech.

Hoofer:

pros: no idea, I've never had one... Just everyone raves about good they are and how long they last... and lots of storage

Cons: they're kinda ugly bags... I'm not "moved" by any of the 3 colorway choices (insert sarcasm here)

Also what's up with the super weird organizer for the clubs.??? The biggest opening is at the bottom??? I would intuitively put my driver, 3w, Hybrid, and putter in there but having them ad the bottom seems weird. And feedback on this?? Also, it's kind of a pig at 5lbs

SM 3.5

Pros: used this style before, super lightweight

Cons: current bags look meh, not much storage, for some reason they got rid of their amazing strap system and they look like they are super easy to get them tangled up.

TM FlexTech:

Pros: bags look pretty good, lots of storage, bag system looks pretty solid, 5 way organizer from Hoofer but set the "right" way!! (At least for me)

Cons: basically also a fatty at 5lbs, TM bags Rent historically amazing, basically just a better looking Hoofer, their flex base is pretty knew so no reviews regarding durability.

What do we think here?

So I'm between 3 bags. I tend to overthink these things so bare with me as I try to convey a stream on conscious...

Let me paint the scene... I've had a Sun Mountain for 3.5 years (that's ironic). I loved everything about it for the first 2 years. Then a few weird quirks started bugging me:

1) putting on the rain hood is a huge PITA and I feel like I forget how to do it each time I do it, it's not impossible, but so much harder than any other bag I've ever owned;

2) one of the openings for clubs continues to "catch" an iron when I try to pull it out... It's like the club is literally stuck and it will not come out. I got annoyed and forced the club out and it effin tore my grip!!! So now I I have to remove a bunch of clubs so I can squeeze me arm in and move it around so the club comes out...

3) the legs are tired from use because they are starting to lag open while I carry it a lot.

So I'm between a Ping Hoofer, another SM 3.5 LS (not sure why they added the LS, but whatevs), and the TM FlexTech.

Hoofer:

pros: no idea, I've never had one... Just everyone raves about good they are and how long they last... and lots of storage

Cons: they're kinda ugly bags... I'm not "moved" by any of the 3 colorway choices (insert sarcasm here)

Also what's up with the super weird organizer for the clubs.??? The biggest opening is at the bottom??? I would intuitively put my driver, 3w, Hybrid, and putter in there but having them ad the bottom seems weird. And feedback on this?? Also, it's kind of a pig at 5lbs

SM 3.5

Cons: current bags look meh, not much storage, for some reason they got rid of their amazing strap system and they look like they are super easy to get them tangled up.

TM FlexTech:

Pros: bags look pretty good, lots of storage, bag system looks pretty solid, 5 way organizer from Hoofer but set the "right" way!! (At least for me)

Cons: basically also a fatty at 5lbs, TM bags Rent historically amazing, basically just a better looking Hoofer, their flex base is pretty knew so no reviews regarding durability.

What do we think here?

Definitely omit the hoofer if club jamming gets to you and you'll be carrying.

Similarly, the 3.5LS drove me crazy because the apparel pocket constantly got stuck in the legs.

Based on your list, I'd say the Flextech for you. But you should also look at the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 4 way.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Hoofer:

SM 3.5

TM FlexTech:

What do we think here?

Similarly, the 3.5LS drove me crazy because the apparel pocket constantly got stuck in the legs.

Based on your list, I'd say the Flextech for you. But you should also look at the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 4 way.

Good call. Looks like I'm between 2!

Hoofer:

SM 3.5

TM FlexTech:

What do we think here?

clubs will get stuck on most standby bags occasionally when the bag is leaning on it's legs simply because the clubs are laying on each other and grips are sticky/grabby. You have to set the bag upgright to pull the club out if it's stuck. Kinda funny people don't realize this but every bag thats in the standby bag size will be the same way

^ The problem is magnified 1000-fold with Hoofer due to the way the bottom collapses. This is why I advised to avoid it. It's a pain to have to always hold a Hoofer vertically to exchange clubs, especially when using a laser, etc. and only having 2 hands. And due to the way it mixes up the clubs when the stand is engaged, you still get club tangle. So, avoid the Hoofer unless you primarily use a cart, then it's a great choice. With a Sun Mtn or Flextech, the clubs go in and out just as easily whether held vertical, or with stand engaged.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

^ The problem is magnified 1000-fold with Hoofer due to the way the bottom collapses. This is why I advised to avoid it. It's a pain to have to always hold a Hoofer vertically to exchange clubs, especially when using a laser, etc. and only having 2 hands. And due to the way it mixes up the clubs when the stand is engaged, you still get club tangle. So, avoid the Hoofer unless you primarily use a cart, then it's a great choice. With a Sun Mtn or Flextech, the clubs go in and out just as easily whether held vertical, or with stand engaged.

I'm on my 3rd ping 4 series and I pull clubs out the entire rounds with the stand engaged on the ground. Occasionally, like maybe once every 18 I would have to set it upright to get a club out because it's tangled, although I usually do set it upright to put my clubs back in.

^Just curious, have you ever had a Sun Mtn? It could be enlightening.

I've had sun mountain cart bags but not stand. I've read complaints over the years of club tangle on every stand bag out there including sun mountain. It's never been something that I had much of an issue with that would make me want a bag to help with it. It's like those bags people get with 14 way individual dividers, never really been my thing. Most of the time its higher caps getting these sorts of things for some reason

Hoofer:

SM 3.5

TM FlexTech:

What do we think here?

clubs will get stuck on most standby bags occasionally when the bag is leaning on it's legs simply because the clubs are laying on each other and grips are sticky/grabby. You have to set the bag upgright to pull the club out if it's stuck. Kinda funny people don't realize this but every bag thats in the standby bag size will be the same way

I'm not an idiot. The first thing I do is to stand the bag upright and try to shake the bag to see if I can loosen the club. No dice.

I literally have to remove the removable irons in the sleeve and the ones in the top sleeve so I can wedge my arm and dislodge the club. Even then it's not a simple thing. I even mentioned that it has torn a geip... This is more than the clubs being tangled while the bag is leaning over, I know you don't know me but give me a little bit of credit here.

I think there is a spot in that particular sleeve where the club's grip gets physically caught on the material of that sleeve and it is a very frustrating event at high frequency.

I've really only ever used Hoofers for the last 20 years. I am due for a new bag and after reading a lot and fiddling with bags in the store I am goiong SM 3.5LS.

Yes, I've dealt with the Hoofer club tangle, but it's not my biggest complaint, weight is. If I can shave 1.5 LBS thats a huge deal walking 18 holes for me. Oh, and the new Hoofer colors are ugly as sin too...

I've really only ever used Hoofers for the last 20 years. I am due for a new bag and after reading a lot and fiddling with bags in the store I am goiong SM 3.5LS.

Yes, I've dealt with the Hoofer club tangle, but it's not my biggest complaint, weight is. If I can shave 1.5 LBS thats a huge deal walking 18 holes for me. Oh, and the new Hoofer colors are ugly as sin too...

yea, I hear you on the colors. I think the ping website doesn't list them all for 2018 hoofers for some reason. I was on a website that sells golf equipment and clicked on the 2018 hoofer, non 14 way and they had like 3-4 more color choices than the ping website. Nothing too great but atleast more options. Ping website has really been lacking lately

When I travel or carry a bag on my back, it's the SM 2.5 - the objective is to keep it light.

Will probably go for a SM 4.5 for general purpose use - range and motorized cart.

Now for a push cart bag, since the SM leg mechanism is no bueno, as are other stand bags. Thinking about that bag. Vessel, Ping Pioneer, H2No Lite Cart bag.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

When I travel or carry a bag on my back, it's the SM 2.5 - the objective is to keep it light.

Will probably go for a SM 4.5 for general purpose use - range and motorized cart.

Now for a push cart bag, since the SM leg mechanism is no bueno, as are other stand bags. Thinking about that bag. Vessel, Ping Pioneer, H2No Lite Cart bag.

Picked up a Ping Pioneer recently and it's fantastic. Plenty of room and the magnetic pocket is perfect for a rangefinder.

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

Don't like the Ping carry straps, & Sun Mountain aren't nearly as good as they once were. The older 3.5 was the best IMO for carrying but you can't find them anymore. Wish I could find something similiar.

Ping G425 LST 9 Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec
Ping G425 LST 3 wood KBS TD Cat 4 
G 410 17 Hybrid KBS Proto 75X
PXG Gen2 0311T MMT 80
Vokey SM6 48F-50F-58L
Lajosi DD201

Callaway Hyper Lite Zero. Just picked it up. Love the weight. 2.5 lbs. that is a big deal to me. Easier to get clubs in and out then my PING Hoofer 4. Def lighter too. Not sure I love how the straps feel but I’ve yet to play around with it yet. Still too cold and wet.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

• 1 month later...

Just got the TM FlexTech today. So far it's everything j was looking for.

Straps and system are as good as the old SM system. More efficient design in storage as compared to my 13 SM 3.5. Weight feels ok, def heavier, but maybe 1lb and I walk around 60% of the time.

I also just really like the colorway as compared to just about everything else out there.

I just hope it's as durable as I've heard!!1f5f74e63c4dad84d570f45ccba8f712.jpg

I've used bags from Titleist and Ping. One issue I had with the Titleist bag was that I wore holes through the padding around the dividers after about a year, leaving exposed hard plastic rubbing against the shafts. In this regard the Ping bags that I've had have been much better, lasting for years. No experience with Sun Mountain bags though.

I got my first Ping Hoofer half way through last season. So far I'm impressed. I've had Sun Mountain and Ogio bags previously. I think Ping and Sun Mountain are similar in terms of quality and performance. Unfortunately my Ogio didn't last very long before the stand function began to fail and dangling legs.