2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How did you decide you could afford to join a club?

Very subjective, and this is intended for those who live in areas where joining a private club is a significant investment. Where I live (Bergen County NJ) no club is less than $5k upfront and $10k+per year. In central NJ and most of the US there are great courses that offer season pass options, but close to my house its all about the private member clubs. I do not have that in between option, where I can pay 3500 a yr. Bergen cty sucks for that.

I'm 35 with a baby on the way. I play 70 rds a year, which I realize will decrease a lot with a new born. But a club would enable a lot more golf due to closer proximity to my house, faster rounds, no need for tee times. I want it for golf, I would not use it at all for business. My wife is not a golfer and I am assuming she would not be into the club, at least for a few years. Maybe later. But she is supportive of me joining one at some point.

I make a very good living, but at my age $12k per year is not throw away money. Its significant. Life is expensive in these parts. My plan is to wait and see how the next 1-2 yrs go, but I want to take advantage of the current membership drives for younger blood.

My question is for those who have been in my situation, how did you make the plunge? How did you rationalize it? How do you know when you can afford it, especially if you have a young family?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you have to ask if you can afford it to this extent, you probably aren't ready. That's how I always think of most financial decisions.

Sucks to be down there, you can join one of the top 4 courses in CT for pennies on the dollar compared to that. Don't get me wrong, if you live in Fairfield county it's a different story but in general its reasonable here.

I'm in a similar situation as well, just not quite as ready to jump into a club just yet (31 yrs old and just married). I live in Rockland County, NY so I'm your neighbor basically. I'm interested to see how this thread pans out.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Private clubs can be used A LOT more other than for golf. If you family will use the other amenities (clubhouse dinning, social events etc..) than it may be worth it. I'd also suggest that you check the club out extensively before you pull the trigger. Ask the membership director to hook with up with a couple different groups of guys that may have a nornal "weekly game" (preferably on the days that you think you will be able to golf) to see if you even fit in. There's nothing worse than joing a club full of douches. After you get a feel of the place then you can pull the trigger.

[quote name='rblmp32' timestamp='1330013154' post='4358347']
I think if you have to ask if you can afford it to this extent, you probably aren't ready. That's how I always think of most financial decisions.

Sucks to be down there, you can join one of the top 4 courses in CT for pennies on the dollar compared to that. Don't get me wrong, if you live in Fairfield county it's a different story but in general its reasonable here.
[/quote]

Agree 100%, but my point is its a little different if you are a young guy who wants badly to join a club but live in an area like this. Unless you are making ridiculous money in your early 30s, then this decision is not as clear cut. I live in a house a I will be in for a long time now. I am settled in my life and job. Do I wait to join until it means I have to make zero sacrifices in other aspects of lifestyle? When is the timing right?

[quote name='cinderellaboy' timestamp='1330014815' post='4358501']
[quote name='rblmp32' timestamp='1330013154' post='4358347']

[/quote]

Agree 100%, but my point is its a little different if you are a young guy who wants badly to join a club but live in an area like this. Unless you are making ridiculous money in your early 30s, then this decision is not as clear cut. I live in a house a I will be in for a long time now. I am settled in my life and job. Do I wait to join until it means I have to make zero sacrifices in other aspects of lifestyle? When is the timing right?
[/quote]

You play 70 rounds a year right now - I'm guessing that's about $5K by the time you pay range balls, etc., if not more. So right there, you can knock off half of your dues. You mentioned it's much more convenient - so obviously that justifies some premium as well (at least it did for me). Is there some other area of your spending that you could cut back on? Maybe you've got a car that's a couple hundred more per month than you could reasonably drive. Maybe you've got some other hobby that could be shelved?

I literally just joined a club. The financial commitment isn't even in the same universe as what you're talking about, but I still did a little "horse trading" to come up with the extra money. I kind of need a new car...mine's 8 years old with 125K miles. Since I joined, I decided that I will hold off for a while on the car though. I also quit my gym since the club has a perfectly acceptable one to use. Cut another portion of the dues right there. I think that you just need to be sure that you don't try to have it all. A lot of people feel self conscious about pulling up to their country club in a car that's a little below the upper crust. I'm the type of guy though that would rather drive a complete POS (not that mine is) and play golf somewhere I like. In your early 30s, you can't have it all, especially with a kid on the way. If golf's important to you, I bet you can find other places to sacrifice (and by the way, those places aren't things for your wife and child!).

Best of luck...it took me years to finally make the jump, and again, I'm only paying half in annual dues what you're talking.

First congrats on your expecting little one. I to am around your age and have a 3 year old and another on the way. I also live in a similar type area on long island ny ware the only option for less than 5 hour round is a private club. I did join one last year based on the fact that it wouldn't impact as much on my family time and also allow for me to play 80 plus rounds. The questions that you asked on when you should know when the right time to make that kind of financial commitment shows that you know family comes first. If you are able to spend that kind of money is a question only you can answer. My deal was the money spent was in no way going to affect my family's life now or later on in life. So for me my time being around home is worth more then the money spent. I say if by joining a club it will not affect your family from a moneteraly stand point point by all means join a club. But if you feel it will be a burdin (belive me having a new born will cost you) on your family then now is not the right time.

How can anyone else possibly inform your decision. It's unlikely to be a whole lot cheaper next year or five years after that. But with the general crash of the golf industry in recent years it's also unlikely to be a whole lot more expensive next year or five years later. So it comes down to do you have the money and if so does being a member at the country club mean more to you than the other things you'd spend the money on. Totally a question only you can answer.

But I don't detect any urgency in your desire to join and in today's economic climate (not to mention with a baby soon to be added to the equation) if it were me I'd probably put it off. It's not so much the monthly or yearly expenditure, it's the big up-front buy-in that makes it hard to suddenly not be a member if your situation changes.

The only mistake would be to convince yourself that you can afford it now but won't be able to afford it in a few years. I think assuming the golf world will be a booming, money is no limit growth industry any time soon is not supported by the facts. My advice is to commit yourself to re-examining the question two years hence and moving forward then if it still makes sense. Those clubs aren't going anywhere and they're not going to double in cost between now and then.

H there and good morning,

I would like to share my situation, I negotiated with my employer for them to cover the entrance fee and yearly dues to a golf club of my choice. It is a declaired taxable benefit that I am taxed on (take the total amount paid by emplyer divide by 26 pay periods) through the year, but the share is in my name. I have negotiated this twice and its a great way to enjoy the benefits of a private country club without paying (directly and out of pocket) for it.

The first membership was at Elmhurst Golf and Country Club and my new membership is at Niakwa Golf and Country Club, both are in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada.

It is listed as a taxable benfit at year end, but part of my compensation package.

Just an idea that may help you get by the $$$ hurdle

Cheers Turbs!

Bergen County is extremely expensive in general, housing is high, taxes are high and general living(food etc) indexes very high. I am in a similar situation outside of Philadelphia. I have debated it myself on end. I had issues with the initiation mainly as I have relocated 4 times since 2003. With my luck I am certain if I pulled the trigger, I would get transferred! That said, I kick myself as the Club 1 mile from my house waived its initiation 2 years ago (12K) annual dues are $6500 which I could justify. The meal minimums are $250 a quarter which is OK, we eat out anyway. Now the initiation is back in play, so I am in no man's land again.

I may do it, because it is close, I can practice for free and play 7 holes at a time when I have the time. If it had a Pool I would be in already. I think the key is the club has to be close by so you can take advantage as much as possible, especially when you baby arrives...2 hour nap equals 9 holes, payback the wife with 2 free hours once the baby is awake!

$800 plus a month is a lot. I tried the math route and it doesn't work, you end up with $100-$150 a round, and even in NJ you can play any top end track for that. You have to figure out what the premium you are willing to pay for the convenience. My advice is wait a year to see how much your rounds go down with the baby and recalculate...

If you try to cost justify a private club membership then in most cases you won't do it. As someone else stated, annual dues of $10,000 equates to roughly $800 per month. If you played twice a week that's still $100 a round at the SAME course day in, day out. Only you know if that's something you can or want to do. If you like playing other courses then you can add that cost to your dues and soon you'll realize that your total golf budget has increased dramatically.

I have 2 kids (ages 3 1/2 and 7) and find that I play 3-4 times per month. There's no way I could cost justify a golf membership at $800 per month. Heck, I could pay the guest fee at any private club in Tampa for those 3-4 rounds per month and pay less than the member pays in dues! ;)

All that said, if you and your family will use the club to socialize; workout; swim; etc then it may make (dollars) and sense (cents).

For me i have a membership at a local public golf course which is less than $600.00 for a adult male membership , there were no upfront bond or a monthly charge like a private country club , this membership gets me unlimited golf for a year but not a riding cart which i do not use anyway ,our course is what i would call average and no where near great but it's a place to play from sun up to sun down 7 days a week, i know i could never play as much golf as i do without this membership , last year was a bad season for me due to health issues but in years past i on average played between 150 and 200 rounds , and i am looking forward to get to those numbers this year if i can stay healthy

I'm a member of a club that is in the same $ ballpark as mentioned by the OP. I debated for many years whether or not to join, always deciding to wait until the kids were a little older and we would have more free time to use it. Fast forward to 2 years ago, both kids in college and my wife and I had a lot of time on our hands so we decided to join. Best move we ever made - it's a smallish club about 3 miles from our home - great course with a super pro and a fantastic greens superintendent who keeps it in top shape, a pool, tennis courts, and a very nice clubhouse/mens grille/locker room facilities. We have made many friends and find ourselves really using the amenities. Frankly, I wish I would have pulled the trigger a few years earlier when the kids would have been able to groove their golf games at an earlier age. Sounds like you're a lot like me, you really want to do it but are cautious and careful - only you can know if it is right for you.

[quote name='cinderellaboy' timestamp='1330012782' post='4358313']
Very subjective, and this is intended for those who live in areas where joining a private club is a significant investment. Where I live (Bergen County NJ) no club is less than $5k upfront and $10k+per year. In central NJ and most of the US there are great courses that offer season pass options, but close to my house its all about the private member clubs. I do not have that in between option, where I can pay 3500 a yr. Bergen cty sucks for that.

I'm 35 with a baby on the way. I play 70 rds a year, which I realize will decrease a lot with a new born. But a club would enable a lot more golf due to closer proximity to my house, faster rounds, no need for tee times. I want it for golf, I would not use it at all for business. My wife is not a golfer and I am assuming she would not be into the club, at least for a few years. Maybe later. But she is supportive of me joining one at some point.

I make a very good living, but at my age $12k per year is not throw away money. Its significant. Life is expensive in these parts. My plan is to wait and see how the next 1-2 yrs go, but I want to take advantage of the current membership drives for younger blood.

My question is for those who have been in my situation, how did you make the plunge? How did you rationalize it? How do you know when you can afford it, especially if you have a young family?
[/quote]

Keep in mind that there may be a gap between when you join and when you get full golf access. At many of my local clubs, the waiting list for full golf is ~5-7 years after you join the club. It makes sense to join as soon as you are settled, so the kids can use the pool right out of the gate, and you (finally) get on the golf course when they become self-sufficient 7 year olds.

I am in a similar position as the OP as well, but may be able offer a little different insight. I am 30 and joined my club 2 years ago as a "junior member". Basically if your father is a member you can join for reduced dues until you are 30. It worked well for me because it really gave me a chance to test things out with very little risk or downside. I have 3 children now (5,4,new baby) and I would not even consider leaving the club now. We have made great friends there that we enjoy the pool and amenities with. The golf is fast and the course is always in tip top shape. As an earlier poster said, it is hard to put a price on time saved to spend with your family.

Obviously it is a huge decision, but from my experience it has been an extremely rewarding investment.

The real danger is assessments with private clubs. If you can barely make the current payment, you might be in trouble when the club decides they want do renovations or improvements. I personally wouldn't join a club that I couldn't handle fees going up 25 to 50 %.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Especially in today's era of declining memberships (many but not all clubs) and escalating costs, bazinky has a good point. My own club is, under normal circumstances, a very self-indulgent luxury that's a lot of money relative to my monthly budget. But over the past year or two our membership numbers have declined to where any unusual expenses or shortfalls in our limited non-dues sources of revenue have to be covered by small assessments. More of a hassle than a large financial impact but if things don't improve this year there are probably some very sizable assessments on the horizon.

If next month I were forced to choose between coughing up the cash equivalent of an extra three or four months dues payments vs. resigning my membership I honestly don't know what I'd do. Ones golf budget can only stretch so much when the initial numbers are borderline to start with. But the thought of having to go find a public course to play on every week is not attractive, even though as always the numbers alone would make it look like a no-brainer.

I hope you are still able to find that kind of time to play golf and satisfy your work needs after having a kid. I have twin 5 year olds and am lucky to get out once a week. In Chicago, given the season is relatively short (same with NJ), that translates to about 40 rounds a year. Sadly, that number is going down as my kids get older and I have more stuff I enjoy doing with them - and more activities that I take them to.

Before making the plunge to shell out big $ on a club, I'd make sure your lifestyle will still enable that kind of time.

Also, and I am not a club member, I would make sure you are joining somewhere that you have friends to play with.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='sandwedge59' timestamp='1330030402' post='4360721']
For me i have a membership at a local public golf course which is less than $600.00 for a adult male membership , there were no upfront bond or a monthly charge like a private country club , this membership gets me unlimited golf for a year but not a riding cart which i do not use anyway ,our course is what i would call average and no where near great but it's a place to play from sun up to sun down 7 days a week, i know i could never play as much golf as i do without this membership , last year was a bad season for me due to health issues [b]but in years past i on average played between 150 and 200 rounds[/b] , and i am looking forward to get to those numbers this year if i can stay healthy
[/quote]

I have to assume you are retired in order to play golf 3 or 4 days a week?

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

I am not making a committment to join anywhere this year - I am waiting until my son is born and I see how that goes in relation to my golf. This year I will flirt, check out clubs, and solicit lots of opinions.

If I had a great public option close by, I would put off joining a club for a while. I would ease in with a season pass type option somewhere. But the courses closest to me suck. They are crowded, the admin are rude. Its funny because when I liived in Jersey City I frequented great courses in central NJ, Neshanic, RB, Heron Glen and Monmouth Cty courses. If I had any of those within 20 min I would "join" there. I moved to the burbs and somehow have worse options - those courses are all over an hour from me now. (wife from the area...)

My main requirement if I make the plunge, is the course has to be within 20 min drive. It has to be easy. That also limits my options. Preferably I am looking for a golf centric club for now.

One club close by seems to fit my criteria and is reasonable for the area. 5k to get in, 10k a yr golf with 2k a yr minimum. Its owned by a family, not the members, so I hope that means no big assesments. Its also golf centric, no pool etc so you dont pay for that aspect.

I appreciate the advice. Keep it coming. The point of the thread was to gauge how younger people worked a club and its costs into their lives, and if it was worth it to them. "Affording" it is always personal and subjective. Maybe I characterized the question in the wrong way.

[quote name='cinderellaboy' timestamp='1330098105' post='4366361']
I am not making a committment to join anywhere this year - I am waiting until my son is born and I see how that goes in relation to my golf. This year I will flirt, check out clubs, and solicit lots of opinions.

If I had a great public option close by, I would put off joining a club for a while. I would ease in with a season pass type option somewhere. But the courses closest to me suck. They are crowded, the admin are rude. Its funny because when I liived in Jersey City I frequented great courses in central NJ, Neshanic, RB, Heron Glen and Monmouth Cty courses. If I had any of those within 20 min I would "join" there. I moved to the burbs and somehow have worse options - those courses are all over an hour from me now. (wife from the area...)

My main requirement if I make the plunge, is the course has to be within 20 min drive. It has to be easy. That also limits my options. Preferably I am looking for a golf centric club for now.

One club close by seems to fit my criteria and is reasonable for the area. 5k to get in, 10k a yr golf with 2k a yr minimum. Its owned by a family, not the members, so I hope that means no big assesments. Its also golf centric, no pool etc so you dont pay for that aspect.

I appreciate the advice. Keep it coming. The point of the thread was to gauge how younger people worked a club and its costs into their lives, and if it was worth it to them. "Affording" it is always personal and subjective. Maybe I characterized the question in the wrong way.
[/quote]

You could also take this year to kind of "save up" for it since your son is being born. You'll probably play half as many rounds this year, so that could knock a big chunk off that initiation fee. Do you have other obligations you could pay down in the interim? For example, I know mine were student loans, which were by and large gone by the time I joined. If the club costs $750 a month, maybe you could spend 12 months or so using your good income to chip away at other obligations that eat up some chunk of money - i.e. loans, car, etc. It sounds like you make decent money and can probably "afford" all of that at once. I was in a similar boat, but I really felt better about taking care of a few other things first. It makes you feel much more like you've earned it.

I speak without knowing anything about your personal finances, so these are just some thoughts.

EDIT: And of course the best part of all of this is in 6 or 7 years, this will be a total no-brainer. You and your son will both be playing on that same bill...it will be a huge cost savings...or at least that's what you can tell your wife!

[size="3"][/size]

That is some pricy places.. Maybe because I am still considered a Jr (being 26)I have been offered some great deals here in AZ...

The Legacy - 2K Down & $140 a month - comes out to about $3700 per yearwhich is not bad being in AZ you can golf year round..

The only thing that is going through my mind and holding me up is that I alsohave a 16 month old son. So, my only 2 concerns are -

1) Not hanging out with him enough

2) Not playing enough to get make it worth it

Now there are the more pricy memberships - Troon, Estancia, etc.. Those are upthere at $75k upfront and 500 a month... Im not there yet.. lol

[size="3"][/size]

Do a financial test, to see what it does to your budget. Set the monthly dues aside for six months. That will tell you how it will change your financial lifestyle. Regarding the earlier post attempting to cost justify. It can't be done with a private club, unless you're retired. You become a member for the overall lifestyle. So it's very important to research and join a club with the type of people you want to associate with.

Joining a private club is a real luxury. In my area, the initiation fees have come down considerably, and I wonder how many people will join without recognizing the true monthly expense. It's always more than expected, at least for my family (the occasional lesson for the daughter, food above the minimum, weird little add-ons to the bill like turfgrass research donation, tournament fees and the associated gambling, etc.). It really adds up, certainly into the 10k+ annually. But to be able to waltz into the club where no advanced tee times are necessary or even available, is so so nice. It really made the decision to join easier when I decided to get my daughter into golf... it's all for her!