2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade buys Adams Golf!!! (merged)

easyyy

[quote name='Mikeco' timestamp='1332168337' post='4535481']
This is awesome now I can look forward to a new Adams line being launched every 3 days and a bunch of commercials with tour players saying the driver I bought 3 days ago is obsolete.

Side note did anyone else find that R11s commercial to be slightly odd? The same players that were pushing people to buy the R11 6 months ago are basically saying its no good anymore?
[/quote]

It is creative marketing. I can guarantee you that if I set up an R11s the exact same as my R11, that I will not see a difference in distance.

Call it what you will, but it is just like car companies who claim that their car has 260 hp. That is 260 baseline HP with no ancillary equpiment, not in the car, and only at the crank. After the transmission kills some of the HP, and the ancillary equipment is all running, you are down to about 220 hp at the wheels.

I will say that we can kiss the CB, CC, and MB lines good bye. Why would TM keep the hybrid iron sets or other GI sets around? Aren't their RBZ lines good enough?

TM will kill off Adams the same way that Callaway killed off Hogan. $70 million is worth it if you can take their driver, hybrid, and putter technology and eliminate a competitor. Their F12 drivers and 3 woods didn't get a fair shake, but Adams also don't put out the money for people to put one in the bag.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be very interested to see where this goes.

Adams had been following TM's trends with very quick product cycles for the last few years and this year they kind of followed them with the silver paint.

In a very small way you could say that Adams was mainly just trying to pull from TM's market share and not too many other peoples. (they certainly weren't going after the Titleist guys)

Is TM buying Adams swatting the fly that has been buzzing around their ear for the last few years or are they going to make two very distinct club companies that will complement eachother?

I can see TM transferring RBZ and all of their GI stuff to the Adams name therefore only having the R series and their players clubs branded under the Taylormade umbrella? Who knows what will happen but it will certainly be interesting to see.

Couple thoughts on the "What If's..." being bandied about...

If the alternative is to disappear completely, immediately, then this option is not "bad" for Adams. I suppose I wish it wasn't the case, for the diversity of marketplace and the additional jobs. But alive, and "optimized" for TM profits, is better than dead.

My knee jerk reaction is that I agree with most posters, that the players clubs at Adams will eventually become an afterthought. (priority-wise, to TMAG) They did kinda say it.

I would like to see the TM hybrids learn a thing or 2 from Adams[b][i]...and I assume/hope they will.[/i][/b]

Adams will be known (thanks to TMAG's big-time marketing and even more focus on seniors and women) as the go-to for those and SGI players. Mid and low 'cappers need not apply. And judging by the numbers, they already weren't!

RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1332168511' post='4535507']
[quote name='Mikeco' timestamp='1332168337' post='4535481']
This is awesome now I can look forward to a new Adams line being launched every 3 days and a bunch of commercials with tour players saying the driver I bought 3 days ago is obsolete.

Side note did anyone else find that R11s commercial to be slightly odd? The same players that were pushing people to buy the R11 6 months ago are basically saying its no good anymore?
[/quote]
Adams was actually putting out clubs at a pretty fast clip last year (they put out 4 drivers). TMaG never did that.
[/quote]

Noted and honestly I don't follow Adams to closely I play the pro black mb irons but never any of they're woods...I think it's more the TM marketing that confounded me

A sad day.

I'm glad one of the last true Adams clubs is the Super XTD hybrid. Will be bagging a couple and keeping them for a long time.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I hope things don't change with Adams' technology... I guess i'm a "taylormade dude" now :/ Will TM put their logo on everything? Will the current Adams offerings be discounted? Will anything with the Adams name be worth less/more?

9.0* Callaway Epic Flash w/ HZRDS Yellow
16.5* Callaway Rogue FW w/ Rogue Silver 70
21* Callaway Big Bertha Hyb
4-PW Callaway Apex 19 Irons w/ TT Elevate Tour
52* Callaway MD4 S Grind
56* Callaway MD4 S Grind
60* Callaway PM Grind
Odyssey OWorks Black 7S

Z Cord grips

[quote name='Tumba' timestamp='1332169688' post='4535641']
I am 32 and a very late comer to golf. It was my perception from the beginning that ADAMS golf was a brand played by old men who smelled of Ben-gay and could not hit long irons.????
[/quote]
My point from an earlier post. This is what Adams is still saddled with. TaylorMade will fix that and market them to be in a better position as a GI company.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='Mikeco' timestamp='1332170288' post='4535703']
It's times like these that I sit back look at my bag filled with titleist gear and get a warm fuzzy feeling inside
[/quote]
Personally, I was told by the rep a few years ago when I was still new to golf that when I wanted to use Titleist, "We don't make clubs for guys like you." That's the reason I refuse to use ANYTHING related to Titleist, Footjoy, etc. Nice way to scare off a new customer.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1332163554' post='4534957']
this is a good thing. ADAMS needed the help - TMAG had the cash. simple business. i feel that it is a great fit as both companies push the limits of innovation. great news for ADAMS keeping the facility/headquarters in TX.

since there are a few people opposed to this deal - what other company would you have liked acquiring ADAMS if not TMAG?
[/quote]

Adams needed the help to do what?

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Cleveland Launcher DST 15*, Diamana Red 64 R
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1332165053' post='4535099']
[quote name='gremlin' timestamp='1332164039' post='4535003']
I hope its not like when Cally bought Hogan, and discontinued them. Adams makes some great players clubs, and I hope they continue to do so.
[/quote]

Exactly what i thought too. I remember Callaway saying that their purchase of Hogan would only enhance the brand, they had no intentions of discounting it. Yeah right.

TMAG will cherry pick the good stuff, eliminate the rest, and dissolve the brand in 3-5 years completely.
Goodbye Adams.
[/quote]

This.

Taylor Made isn't going to compete with itself in any market segment. I take the press release at face value - women and seniors is what the Adams brand will become; complete sets and SGI with noodle flex graphite. Taylor Made will fold whatever tech they like into their next gen offerings, but Adams as a players club is going the way of the dodo.

Hopefully TM incorporates some of Adams great player's products into their TP lines.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1332170515' post='4535733']
[quote name='Tumba' timestamp='1332169688' post='4535641']
I am 32 and a very late comer to golf. It was my perception from the beginning that ADAMS golf was a brand played by old men who smelled of Ben-gay and could not hit long irons.????
[/quote]
My point from an earlier post. This is what Adams is still saddled with. TaylorMade will fix that and market them to be in a better position as a GI company.
[/quote]

I also think that the long drive division will get a much needed boost in their look! For me it always seemed very odd to see this hip young powerful Jamie Sadlowski wearing Adams gear! Just did not look right!

i am a TaylorMade fan but i think this is bad for the market!

How would you like to be Kenny Perry, hmmmm they didnt want me to leave did they!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Not happy, I better get my XTD Ti super hybrid and fairway ASAP. Such a bummer I love the uniqueness and different offering ADAMS provides

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

Nothing new to add to the conversation, just a chance to vent. Very sad to see this happen. I was an all Hogan guy until Callaway destroyed that brand, first with inferiority then just making it go away. After tons of trial and error, I have gone almost full Adams (Irons and Hybrids), then this happens. I can't do anything about it, but I'll be very disappointed if the same thing happens with Adams.

I don't want a bunch of [email="sorry-@ss"]sorry-@ss[/email] cast irons with "Driver DNA", I want a set of classic looking, forged heads that I can work and feel. I don't want a hybrid with an instruction manual, I just want something that sets up square and doesn't have a 20 yard hook bias. And I don't want to be blasted with a bunch of ads telling me that I can hit my new Adams clubs 25 yards farther (at a ball speed of 165 MPH), because that doesn't do a damn thing for me at my swing speed.

The one good thing I take from this is that at least they aren't moving or eliminating the Plano, TX office, which will be good for the local DFW economy.

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1332162108' post='4534855']
Well, TMaG might just keep the Adams Brand. Just like Acushnet had Titleist and Cobra for a while.

But I can see white Yes putters and further releases of RBZ and slot technology woods in the future.
[/quote]
Yes! Already had white putters in the lineup for 2012. I hope they do keep them separate the same way Accushnet did as well.

Taylormade M3 460 9.5*, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60x
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* and 18*, Aldila Voodoo SNV8
Ping i210 4-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 105s
Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54WS, 58ES, DG S400 TI onyx
Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212516-dsparobs-2015-bag/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...arobs-2015-bag/[/url]

Does anyone think this might actually be a good thing???

I get the argument that less competition can harm the consumer, but I don't believe this merger will have any ill effects on the consumer market...far too many replacements/other companies available!

TM can handle the players market and continue a large market share in woods....Adams can continue to dominate the senior/ladies offerings and certainly help TM improve hybrid/metal wood technology...

Some combination of the C-groove and ASGI could be very, very interesting...

Personally, I think the only people who have concern based on product offerings would be those playing Adams clubs which TM decides to discontinue...most likely the "player" clubs which are often talked about on this site, but are fractionally a very, very small part of the overall market...

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1332168105' post='4535459']
Under Armour had no interest in a company with a 6% profit margin. I'm not guessing. They quit sniffing weeks ago. The financials on Adams are terrible.
[/quote]

And yet they still managed to build a cash stockpile of $18M with no offsetting short- or long-term debt.

Adams margins weren't fat but they were getting thicker. Yes! Putters wasn't rolling yet. The company just had a record year earnings-wise. The company was poised for growth.

I think TMaG got a good deal, paying 10x earnings for a nationally recognized golf brand.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1332170683' post='4535743']
[quote name='Mikeco' timestamp='1332170288' post='4535703']
It's times like these that I sit back look at my bag filled with titleist gear and get a warm fuzzy feeling inside
[/quote]
Personally, I was told by the rep a few years ago when I was still new to golf that when I wanted to use Titleist, "We don't make clubs for guys like you." That's the reason I refuse to use ANYTHING related to Titleist, Footjoy, etc. Nice way to scare off a new customer.
[/quote]

Yea I would chalk that up to an ignorant rep....it's no secret that titleist has focused they're attention on the low handicap player, but they've always made a few sets for new players and high HDCP's for example the AP1 and even back to the 981. I don't blame u for having a bad taste in your mouth over that rep...but if u ever see fit to give them a shot they make a great product and they're very consistent with theyre offerings...to sum it up I feel like when they put out a new product they invested some time and though I.e. when they finally launched an adjustable driver it was revolutionary...I feel like some other company's "TM" throw a bunch of S#*T at the wall and hope something sticks