2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

My Bandon Dunes Experience...

kygolfer1980

Don't wanna bore anyone but thought it might help people planning a trip to Bandon in the future. I just got back from Oregon yesterday. Arrived Thursday evening, played Pacific for 36 holes on Friday, Bandon Preserve 14 holes fri evening(played the 1st again to get an even 50), Bandon Dunes for 36 on Sat, Old Mac for 36 on Sun, and finished with 18 on Bandon Trails Monday morning before departing. All in all 140 holes walked in 4 days. This is my opinion only but Bandon is the greatest place I have ever been. I have played at Pinehurst #2 3x, Sawgrass, Whistling Straits/Blackwolf Run, Valhalla, Victoria National, as well as the British Open Rota in Scotland. I don't have money but I work alot of overtime to make these trips a reality. Naturally, my expectations are always high because it is such a treat for me to have an experience like this. I'll break it down into different categories to keep from running things together.

1. Customer Service- Fantastic, everyone is welcoming and you can tell they take pride in working there. I never encountered one single person who didn't have a smile on their face or didn't go out of their way to be helpful. Pinehurst is the only place I have encountered on par with Bandon.

2. Food- Good and reasonably priced. We ate at McKee's a couple times as well as Bandon Trails clubhouse one night. Ate breakfast at either Pacific Grill ot the lodge. Pretty decent selection of microbrews and good food overall. Pricing was as expected for such a place. Portions were big enough that a friend and I split breakfast and lunch to save money and keep from eating too much. I would also recommend to venture into town and eat at Tony's crab shack, it was really good and the atmosphere was cool.

3. Lodging- We stayed at Chrome Lake, it was clean, comfy and had everything we needed. Nothing fancy but we were there to sleep and play golf. The one thing that did stand out, our freezer did not work so we used the sink in the bathroom as a cooler for our beer. Lol The ice was melted by morning so we arranged to get ice from guest services. When we arrived to our room between rounds, the housekeeping crew had already added ice to have our beers cold without knowing we had requested it! Talk about service!

4.Travel- We flew into Portland and drove down and back. It takes a little longer but the views on Highway 101 are breathtaking! I had never been to the Pacific Northwwest so I especially loved it. It was well worth the extra time in a car.

5. Golf- I loved every course! You have to appreciate them for what they are even if you don't play well. They beat u to a pulp but u will cherish every minute. If u don't, I don't see how u can truly appreciate this great game. I will rank them in my preferred order, I am a 9.4 handicap and my scores also helped play a role in my decisions.

1.Bandon Dunes- Some of the best views and approaches you could ever imagine. I don't see how any holes could be better than 4 or 16 on this course. I shot 79 from the green tees which I consider to be the best round of my life considering where I was. Shot 86 in the afternoon round. I will NEVER forget this golf course, it's #1 on my lifelong list.

2.Bandon Trails- I just enjoyed the scenery as well as the strategy it takes to play this one. I shot 80 but it should have been around 75, let a couple get away. Not as much of a links but beautiful nonetheless. I wish I had had the time for a 36 hole day here as well.

3. Pacific Dunes- This one is a tough track. The wind plays a huge factor, and it just seemed tighter to me than the other courses. Magnificent views on it seemed every hole but tough to shoot a good score. I shot 86, 89 here.

4. Old Mac- I thought this was the toughest of the bunch! It was raining in the morning round and super windy in the afternoon. One of those courses you had to hope for a bogey and leave with a smile if u got it. The greatest thing about this one in my opinion was the variety of shots you could play. It was alot of fun to try run up shots from 100 yards and such. The greens are huge and it led to alot of 3 putts and maybe even a 4 putt or 2...

5. Bandon Preserve- Still young but a blast to end the day. You could play this course 1000 times and it could be a different course each time with the variety of tee boxes. The greens ran a little slower than the other courses but it is prob one of the nicest if not the nicest par 3 courses in the world.

6. Caddies- I debated on caddies but figured they would enhance the experience. I was ble to request and secure Chubbs and his buddy Alan after they were recommended by someone in the "know". Boy am I glad we got them. The trip was sooooo much better with these guys. I would say they saved us several strokes each round and they are just good guys to boot. They take pride in what they do and are damn good at it! I would definitely try to get these guys if you are going to Bandon. Chubbs looped for me and I made a lifelong friend. He is very knowledgeable about each course, knows and loves game in general, and his attitude was infectious. I cannot stress how much better he made our week. Craig, who is a caddy supervisor was also really cool. He is a Kentucky boy so we had that in common but genuinely a good person.

7. Tips and Advice- Got alot of this advice from Chubbs but I'll pass it on.

1. Have a rain suit regardless of when u go, it will most likely get used.

2. Take double the amount of socks u think u need. Change them between rounds and take care of your feet.

3. Take mole skin to cover the blisters u are sure to develop.

4. Buy good golf shoes for walking, they will be worth the money. I thought mine would suffice but the blisters said otherwise. Next time I will make sure to have appropriate footwear.

5. 2 putt is king!

6. Practice run up shots, u will use them frequently.

I can't think of anything else but I have rambled enough. I hope this is useful to someone who might go in the future, I know I will be back!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great read. Thank you for taking the time to recap your adventure.

Three buddies and myself are doing these type of trips every year. I would like to make it up to Bandon next year. Sand Hills this fall.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

great review. went last fall and it was definitely one of the best trips i've been on, golf or otherwise. agree on having caddies, we were hesitant about it, but it made the trip a lot more enjoyable.

Epic Speed Ventus Blue
Epic Fairways Kai'li

818 h1 CK Pro White
ZX7 4-pw Modus 120
Vokey 50F 56DS, 60D Modus 120
Odyssey 10
Bridgestone B XS

Ballpark here, how much would a 3-4 day trip like this cost?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Great write up. Bandon is going to be my present to myself once I recover from my hip replacements, so hopefully I will be out there in 2014 maybe next year. I just want to make sure I can hold up to the walking first. I have been dying to get out there for years now.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

This is what I like to read. It makes me proud to hear you had a great golfing experience. Thats what this place is about. We look forward to serving you again. Gooo Wildcats!

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Great write up and I agree 100%. For the avid golfer, it's the ultimate experience. There's not a lot else to do out there at Bandon besides golf, but who really cares because they have a beautiful set-up and the service is top notch. I visited there back in 2009 and they just keep adding courses, so I'm keen to go back again in the next couple years.

I've done the Pebble experience, but for a pure golf experience, I don't think anything beats Bandon (except for St. Andrews).

[quote name='kygolfer1980' timestamp='1342689071' post='5306632']
[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1342666613' post='5305286']
Ballpark here, how much would a 3-4 day trip like this cost?
[/quote]
Sent you a PM.
[/quote]
Can you shoot one my way as well? Have priced off the website but curious how close I am getting and whatnot with the extras of food or car rental etc... thanks!

My Bandon experience was awesome also. A few thoughts.

Super hard fairways and super soft sand between tees and fairway. After 36 holes you are worn out. Not to mention the elevation changes.

If you sweep the golf ball you have a chance. If you are steep good luck and lower your expectations.

Speaking of lowering your expectations you will not shoot your handicap so leave that thought at home.

Take a caddy. The place isn't cheap so save and go for the full Monty. It's worth it.

Play all the courses. They have a little different character and are all a blast.

Check your ego if the wind is blowing (and it will be).

Practice chipping off tight lies before you go and I mean really tight lies.

Practice the longest putts you can find. You will putt many times from well off the green.

Accommodations are fine but not 4 or 5 star.

Food is the same. Good but will not blow you away.

Bar is lacking but after 36 holes that's a good thing. You will need sleep.

Most of all GO. it's so much fun.

Another option for Bandon Dunes is to fly on SeaPort Airlines from Portland. [url="http://www.seaportair.com"]www.seaportair.com[/url]. It's a small 9-passenger plane from Portland, but only takes 55 minutes - rather than a 5-hour drive. Once in North Bend, OR, you can either rent a car or arrange for ground transportation to the Resort.

You can also fly into Eugene and drive 2.5 hours.

[quote name='bkoehnemann' timestamp='1342759573' post='5313698']
Another option for Bandon Dunes is to fly on SeaPort Airlines from Portland. [url="http://www.seaportair.com"]www.seaportair.com[/url]. It's a small 9-passenger plane from Portland, but only takes 55 minutes - rather than a 5-hour drive. Once in North Bend, OR, you can either rent a car or arrange for ground transportation to the Resort.

You can also fly into Eugene and drive 2.5 hours.
[/quote]

There are several airlines that fly into the airport at North Bend. I can make it there just as quickly and in as many segments from the east coast as I can into Portland. It's a bit more expensive, but way more convenient.

Been 7 times myself and can't agree more.

Caddies for sure, all courses are unique.

Rank them Pacific, Trails, Old Mac and Bandon

Highly suggest flying to North Bend, Mirror Pond on draft and plan to be putting from 100 ft despite GIR

Can't wait to get back, trying to convince buddies to go to Scotland and they say "why when we can go to Bandon"

Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD

Work in progress...

ZX5 mk ii KBS Tour Lite

JAWS RAW KBS Tour

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0

[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1342935053' post='5325202']
When's the best time to go? Would love to take my dad there next year.

OP - can you shoot me an PM on the cost as well if you don't mind

Thx
[/quote]

Most around here make the trip in Feb. - Apr. All the caddies I've talked have said that's a good time as well. Not overly crowded an can sneak in some good weather

We went in mid-July and the resort wasn't very busy at all. Our caddy said it never rains in July, and almost never rains in June. We were a twosome, and in the four rounds we played, only once were we paired up with anyone else. Our longest round was 3-1/2 hours (as a foursome)--the other three rounds were about 3:05-3:10.