what's your worst round?

MtlJeff

[quote name='Hattori Hanzo' timestamp='1355272885' post='6053581']
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I don't have a number to attach to my worst round because it was a team match play tournament. I am not sure of the name of the format, but everyone hit a drive, then you and your partner would pick the best one and play alternate shot the rest of the way in. Now, what really made it so bad was that I was in the middle of a ridiculously hot streak. I'm talking not shooting over 75 in 4 weeks hot. Every putt it looked at just dropped.

So anyways, my partner and I breeze through the first round, and in the second, everything is going great, until I shove a little 3 footer on the 2nd hole. "Not a big deal," I tell myself, "it happens." And then I missed another. And another. And another. On the day, I think I missed 6 putts inside of 3 feet. It was like a spontaneous case of the yips. The worst was on the par 5 13th, when we were amazingly only down 2. My partner knocked a wedge stiff, leaving me about a 2 foot birdie putt, which I proceeded to knock about 7 feet by the cup, and he missed the come backer. So instead of tapping in the birdie to get the match within 1, we were now down 3 with 5 to play.

I guess part of the reason I consider it my worst round is that I wasn't just disappointing myself; I was letting down my partner. We were routinely putting ourselves in position A with our ball-striking, and I would blow it by putting like a Parkinson's patient on cocaine.
[/quote]

You win! (or lose?)

Nothing worse than letting a partner down -- especially in alternate shot, the toughest format in golf.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1355274104' post='6053723']
[quote name='Hattori Hanzo' timestamp='1355272885' post='6053581']
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I don't have a number to attach to my worst round because it was a team match play tournament. I am not sure of the name of the format, but everyone hit a drive, then you and your partner would pick the best one and play alternate shot the rest of the way in. Now, what really made it so bad was that I was in the middle of a ridiculously hot streak. I'm talking not shooting over 75 in 4 weeks hot. Every putt it looked at just dropped.

So anyways, my partner and I breeze through the first round, and in the second, everything is going great, until I shove a little 3 footer on the 2nd hole. "Not a big deal," I tell myself, "it happens." And then I missed another. And another. And another. On the day, I think I missed 6 putts inside of 3 feet. It was like a spontaneous case of the yips. The worst was on the par 5 13th, when we were amazingly only down 2. My partner knocked a wedge stiff, leaving me about a 2 foot birdie putt, which I proceeded to knock about 7 feet by the cup, and he missed the come backer. So instead of tapping in the birdie to get the match within 1, we were now down 3 with 5 to play.

I guess part of the reason I consider it my worst round is that I wasn't just disappointing myself; I was letting down my partner. We were routinely putting ourselves in position A with our ball-striking, and I would blow it by putting like a Parkinson's patient on cocaine.
[/quote]

You win! (or lose?)

Nothing worse than letting a partner down -- especially in alternate shot, the toughest format in golf.
[/quote]

Unfortunately we couldn't pull that one out. :(

I'm still trying to make heads and tails of what could have possibly happened. From putting lights out one day, to looking like I had never touched a putter in my life the next, to going right back to putting lights out the day after that...

Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is a Pennsylvanian and a few years ago went went back to Pittsburgh to visit her folks. They know someone at Latrobe CC so the next thing I know I'm teeing it up at Arnie's course with three members, all really nice guys. I'm a decent player 5-8 hndcap range over the years so I can handle myself on a golf course. So it's the Summer, and AP is in residence and all the guys in my group know him, and they say that you never know when he's going to show up and watch a few groups play. I was forty-nine that summer and to guys my age Arnie is like a god so I'm watching for him literally after every shot. Pretty soon I couldn't get it off the ground. I broke 100 but not by much, I think I smoothed a 98 and Arnie (of course) NEVER SHOWED UP.

I did meet him in the grill after the round, a real gentleman, but thank god he didn't see me flail around the course like I didn't know which end of the club to hold.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

• 2 weeks later...

Not my worst round by any means but my most dissappointing was at High school Provincial Qualifying. I was playing to a 2 handicap and came in with 85 on a par 70. My score counted as number 4 and we missed qualifying by 2 shots as a team.

TS3 8.5 (D1) Motore Speeder 7.2TS X

TSi3 15 (C1) Rogue 130MSI white 80x
818h1 19 (C2) Tensei Pro white 90tx/X-forged UT 18 PX 6.5
MP5 4-pw $-taper 130
Zipcore 50,55,60
Redwood Anser

I played myself into decent contention in my Saturday league last year, I play to around an 8 or 9,and shoot within a couple on either side of 80 most rounds. Playing a course I don't love, paired with a couple of guys I don't care for, I had a double on number 1,an easy par 4.

Usually I'm solid mentally in the course. Not that day. I never threw a club, and stayed personable throughout every stroke. I holed a 4 foot slider for birdie on 18 to shoot a really spectacular 100 even, my first triple digit score in along time. Whoops.

(shot a career best 1 over par 73 the next week... Go figure)

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

[quote name='HoffTTM' timestamp='1346807449' post='5588099']
Ignoring everything before I became somewhat decent player, the worst I have shot is 199 (101+98) at a 36 hole junior open whilst playing off 12.
[/quote] I was a 10 handicap Senior with the possiblity of playing college golf locally 90's makes the team and shot a 122 and a 137 in Junior tournaments on courses I usually shoot under my handicap, I then preceded to go away to college where no one knows my game and I deleted my profile on that site that posted the scores

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

Tournament round, 2003, had just come off of missing the match play of a pretty big amateur tournament by 2 shots and played in a 1 day handicap tour event as a plus 2. I was 1 under thru 7 and shot 86 for a net 88. Can I get a win?

Callaway GBB Oban devotion
V Steel 13 s300 steel shaft
Adams prototype 18* vs Proto
Adams prototype 23* Aldila rip
Razr X tour 5-pw vs Proto
Cleveland cg14 48
Callaway md3 s grind 52
Vokey 58
Odyssey WH 7

I'm a 5 index and dropped a 97 in a tournament which I thought I had a good chance at winning. The tourny was at a private course, which happened to be my home course and the course I grew up playing. I went out and fired a 77 the day before. It was a awful, awful day. I started out double, double, double, triple, 3 putt bogey from inside 10 feet. +10 on the first 5.

The rest of the day wasn't much better but I shot a 76 the next day haha.

I also fired a 108 in a tourney in high school. I don't consider it my worst round considering I was extremely ill and should not have played. My mom drove me from signing m scorecard to the ER where I spent 2 weeks in the hospital.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

There is no specific round that would qualify as worst ever. Really, it comes down to the occasions when I have lost my composure, whether visible to partners or not. They rest largely in the past but last year, I kind of lost my composure when on a silly par 4 which starts off with a 7 iron that you want to draw around the corner to a flat lie, where then you hit from a flat lie into an elevated green about 205 yards out, all carry. I have played this hole many times. If you fail to execute the draw you end up with the ball well below your feet, hitting into the green with disaster on the right. I took a ten, perhaps my worst single score on any hole. I had 4 penalty strokes, also a record. It was the second hole. It was a long day. I couldn't get my head around a ten, and I didn't really hit a decent shot for most of the day. I shot a 76 the round before at a more difficult course, or so I thought. Probably my worst round in 5 years. I kept trying to just let it go, but that sweet shot that rectifies all the bad never came to me, though I did hit some solid shots on the back nine. I think I fell into the expectations game. I expected to tear that course apart, and in the end, only tore into myself. Live and try to learn...

yeah

I think I can contribute here!

Played a two round Gold Medal Final for winners of monthly medals at my old club. Got absolutely soaked and played like a drain on my way to a 98 off UK 8 handicap. And that was the high point...

Turned up the next day for a Round 2 that I really didn't feel like playing only to be told I was DQed as I'd forgotten to sign my card the day before. Hallelujah I thought as it was raining hard again.

Then the Pro came out of the shop and said, "It's ok though you can play round today -but your score wont count." He said this as I was faking disappointment and shaking the hands of my erstwhile playing partners.

At that point a wave of "doing the right thing/golfer's solidarity" broke over me and I went out and played another round tinged in equal measure by futility and disaster. Another 98 and dead last.

I wished for a hole in the ground to swallow me up but I couldn't even find one of those... :taunt:

That Aint Billy Bob!!

88 in my first college tournament..wind was blowing.. But didnt explain my blowup.

Shot 4over on the front 9, played decent, was putting okay, giving myself decent looks.. Bogey'd 10 and 11, then a par on the par 5 12th.. Then..

Quad, par, quad, double. 10 over in 4 holes. I don't even remember the shots it was just a blur.. Managed to compose myself to par the last two holes coming in though.

My redemption was going out and shooting 77 the second day with 4 birdies. Night and day. Haha

WITB
Titleist TS2 - 10.5*
Taylormade M2 15* 3w 
Callaway X2 Hot 2 Hybrid - 18* 
Titleist 714CB Irons 4-P Steelfiber 95's
Vokey SM7 Wedges 54*10 M Grind & 58*11 K Grind
Odyssey White Hot Rossie

I had more than I could count the one year I played varsity golf way back in the day. Started the year shooting anything from 40-45 in our team's 9-hole practice rounds. Then every tournament for about the first month and a half of the season, I shot over 100. I hated golf by the end of the year. Except that our sectional and regional tournaments were two of my best tournament rounds of the year.

More recently, it was a series of rounds while on vacation in Florida in March of this year. A freakish winter in WNY had me playing semi-regularly here (like 3-4x a month), and I was playing well (shooting anywhere from +1 to +4 for 9 holes most times out, in pretty rotten conditions). I was so excited to go down and play for 4 days in warm weather, on courses that weren't soggy mudpits. I think the best 18 hole score I had was an 84 (actually played pretty well that day, minus a few blow-up holes). The worst was something in the 90s, and felt much worse. Those rounds weren't absolutely awful now that I look back at them, but they sure felt awful. SOOO frustrating when I was really excited about playing. Which, in retrospect, was probably half the problem.

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of 2011, I was playing pretty solid at +3.4. I shot a 63 in late September on a tough little track outside Athens, GA. Two weeks later a friend who'd been with me for the 63 got us into a tournament at Karsten Creek and I backed that baby up with a smokin' 93.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1358487286' post='6250755']
At the end of 2011, I was playing pretty solid at +3.4. I shot a 63 in late September on a tough little track outside Athens, GA. Two weeks later a friend who'd been with me for the 63 got us into a tournament at Karsten Creek and I backed that baby up with a smokin' 93.
[/quote]

Hey man, I know this has been inactive for a while, but I made an account just for this, what was the name of that course? I work at one right near Athens

I shot a 92 in a U.S. Open Qualifier coming off a year when I only missed the cut in the local by 2 strokes. I hit it out of bounds ALOT and couldn't make a putt.. plus it was pouring rain and brutally cold. By far, the worst round I have ever played ball striking wise and very embarrassing. The other guy in my group shot over 50 on the front 9 and withdrew so I stuck around to play with the other guy who actually qualified.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='Thouse34' timestamp='1360203821' post='6377387']
[/quote]

Hey man, I know this has been inactive for a while, but I made an account just for this, what was the name of that course? I work at one right near Athens
[/quote]

Lane Creek

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Last year, first GAP match of the season. I have never played a true competitive match before in my life. From my younger days playing sports such as hockey or baseball my adrenaline starts flowing. I had a 2 ft putt on the first hole to save par and halve the hole and my hands are shaking. Well I miss the putt for sure, am 4 ,down in the first four holes. Don't remember what I lost by, but I couldn't wait to leave the club after the beating I took.

[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1360205294' post='6377561']
[quote name='Thouse34' timestamp='1360203821' post='6377387']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lane Creek
[/quote]

Holy crap I work on the maintenance crew there. It is a tough little course. Fast greens. Did you play any of the others in the area?

My worst round was at... of all places, Pebble Beach.

Played lights out the first 8 holes, lipped out eagle putts on 2 and 6, was 1 over going into the back 9.

Second shot on 10, hosel rocket.

Ok one bad swing, shake it off.

For the next 6 holes, heel jammed every swing. My caddy was just in total shock the whole time, and my family who I was playing with could not bear to watch.

Of course by 17, hit a great shot and birdie, and par 18.

I stopped keeping score so I don't even know what I shot, but I have never ever felt so crest fallen because of golf in my life.

So anytime Pebble comes up, I cringe. I'm determined to go back and make good on that round.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

Leading after round 1 in my club championships with a 69, which was then followed up with an 85 in round 2...

Taylormade Jetspeed TP 10.5* w/ Fujikura Speeder 661
Taylormade SLDR 3HL TP 17* w/ Fujikura Speeder VC 7.0
Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI 18* w/ KBS C-Taper Lite
Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW w/ DG XP S300
Taylormade Tour Preferred Wedges 50*, 54*, 58*
Taylormade Spider Blade Counterbalance 32

Not me....But a funny story
Had a collegue tell me he was going to try and qualify for the open....I talked to him a lot about the mindset and how you need to be able to go deep....
He said he played the course the week before and shot a 70 with some silly missed putts. We thought he needed 68 to get to the next round of qualifying....
Called him that night, no answer....He literally disappeared for a few days....
108 in the open qualifier....Hello Black List

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2