what's your worst round?

MtlJeff

[quote name='Thouse34' timestamp='1360249475' post='6380275']
[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1360205294' post='6377561']
[quote name='Thouse34' timestamp='1360203821' post='6377387']
[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1358487286' post='6250755']
At the end of 2011, I was playing pretty solid at +3.4. I shot a 63 in late September on a tough little track outside Athens, GA. Two weeks later a friend who'd been with me for the 63 got us into a tournament at Karsten Creek and I backed that baby up with a smokin' 93.
[/quote]

Hey man, I know this has been inactive for a while, but I made an account just for this, what was the name of that course? I work at one right near Athens
[/quote]

Lane Creek
[/quote]

Holy crap I work on the maintenance crew there. It is a tough little course. Fast greens. Did you play any of the others in the area?
[/quote]

UGA, Georgia Club, Jennings Mill, and Cherokee Run down in Conyers. Lane Creek is my favorite though. Butch always treated me great.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worse round [i]ever[/i]? Probably around 125, when I was very young. Worst recorded? 100, early last summer in golf tryouts. I had just gotten back from vacation the day before, had not played in a week, and was very nervous. I think I shot in the low 90s the next day and made the team, and then shot 86 in the last match of the season. So I'm certainly moving in the right direction.

My worst round was probably yesterday, not sure exactly what I shot since I've been trying to get it off my mind. My second nine were fine but it was my first nine that killed me. It was VERY hazy an sky full of gray clouds so I lost a ton of balls just because I couldn't see ball flight once I hit it. Plus a couple shots that I saw bounce then when I get to the spot, I can't find my ball anywhere and had to drop. I actually felt like I was hitting it somewhat decent just lost so many balls which add a ton to your score. Guessing (without doing the math) probably hit near 90+

Not my worst round, but I had a meltdown during Saturday's member game. Made the turn at even, birdied the 10th to go to 1 under, and proceeded to shoot 81 (par 72 course). Played 11-18 at 10 over par. Zero birdies, zero pars, 6 bogies, 2 doubles. Cost my team some money.

My senior year of high school, my second match of the year was an invitational with about 6 other schools playing in it. I make birdie on the 15th hole to go to 1 over. The 16th hole is a par 5 with water all up the right side and an island green. I hit my second shot into the water, make double. Manage to compose myself somewhat on the par 3 17th, make par. Decent tee shot on the 18th, which is another par 5. Water does come into play, but not enough to even worry about it. There is a small inlet that is probably 20 yards across that you have to hit over for your second shot, but you would literally have to top the ball to worry about it, or hit a big drive down wind. Well, I cold top it into the inlet. Play my 4th shot into the green side bunker. Play both my 5th and 6th shots from the green side bunker, and finish the hole with a 2 putt triple for a 78. So I played my final 3 holes at 5 over to shoot 78. Walk up to the clubhouse, see the scores, and realize that I choked my way right out of being low medalist. 73 was low medalist and I played a par 3 and two par 5's at 5 over to finish the round. I graduated almost 6 years ago and that meltdown has always stuck with me.

Titleist 913D3 9.5* Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 906F4 13.5* Fuji Rombax 8Z08 X
Titleist 712 CB 4-9, MB PW KBS Tour (HS1X)
Titleist SM5 52-08 & 58-07 S400's
Yes! Victoria II

My worst round I think I ever had was second day of state in Dallas, sophomore year of HS. Everything collapsed, driver lost its pop, and I melted to a 123. Also was awakened and evacuated by a fire alarm at the hotel at 3 am that morning. That year I lost my golf. Was heartbreaking, as just a year earlier I shot a 64 on my par 70 (Pecan Valley - Fort Worth), and I shot a 64 on the front, IIRC.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

There's a course northeast of Santa Barbara called Rancho San Marcos. Really a beautiful place and a good test of golf. I played it one fall morning and shot 75 from the blue tees. The next time I played it was on a brutal day in December and shot 100 even. Some shots just don't work in a 30 mph wind.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

man this one is pretty embarrassing..

Man it was last year mid summer time, had recently been playing very well. By those standards i had a couple under par 9 hole rounds and was consistently shooting in the 70's. Which is solid for me, im happy when shooting 70's golf. I rounded a couple buddies up to play my favorite golf course in the area. The Hamilton Elks to any of you cincinnati natives, Donald ross course. Bought a fresh dozen of my favorite balls Penta's, and was striping it on the range. Proceeded to start our round and found out we were directly behind The Xavier University team. Was pretty pumped to kinda watch them hit shots and see where i stacked myself. Just always seem to play really well at this course...

Long story short.. I went through a whole dozen of penta's!!! i have never shanked so many balls in my whole life... I think i played better golf when i was 12 years old.. I think i shot a 101. Worst round of golf in my whole life. I think for a couple weeks after that i carried that fear of shanking so hard!!

Just one of those days

I played with my boss in a scramble right after Father's Day one year. He had a new 15-pack of Top Flites that his daughter gave him. He made it through about 15 or 16 holes before every one of the Top Rocks was in a water hazard. There is water on about 7 holes, but he was slicing it 2 holes over to reach some of those hazards. To his credit, he didn't lose any of the balls he borrowed from me when he ran out. The funny thing is that he's wasn't a bad player -- usually a high-90 man, but probably broke 90 on occasion. RIP -- he lost a battle with big C a couple years ago.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

• 4 weeks later...

Opening Day of the Season about 20 years ago, I shot a 75. I was 12 handicap at the time, so that was by far my best round ever. Birdied the first hole (not an easy hole) to start the season.

Next day, same foursome I shot 93. Exactly 18 shots worse, averaging exactly one shot more per hole. It doesn't sound that bad when you put it that way.

Here's the best part: One of my opponents on Day 1 bitched so hard about losing to me, that he was my partner on Day 2, so he got to pay BOTH days...I remember hearing him as we walked down the 17th Fairway and we'd lost every bet, every press, and he's mumbling something like "@#$$$$MF....GD...@@#$&** shoots 75 when I'm playing against him and hasn't had a Single F***ing par today (which was true)....$$$$****"

Hey, I was trying just as hard...

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I was going out as a single to play nine at my regular course at the time, Plantation Golf course in Frisco, TX. I met up with someone I knew at four and at 7, a 180 yard Par 3 I hit a six iron into the hole for my first and only ace. To make it official I had to finish the 18 on a course I normally shot high 70's.

Well my game goes to heck and I don't think I break 90. So I have this scorecard with a 1 on it followed by more ugly numbers than I would expect if I played Shinnacock in a gale.

Best and worst round.

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

• 2 weeks later...

My worst round came in the middle of last summer. I had been playing awesome for a few months and had gotten my average score to an 86 and was just hitting the ball really well. So I get a call from my friend at 8am in the morning asking me to play golf. I had just gotten off work at 6am and I work 12 hour shifts, but crazy me decided to go and play. I was literally missing golf balls and topping balls, thining balls...every misshit you can think of. And then we get to the 6th hole a long par 5 and I must be at least 10 over by now bbut surprisingly I hit a good drive and a decent second shot. I am left with about 100 yards over water to the green. I chunk 1 in the water...2 in the water ... 3 in the water and this continues until I have 1 ball left and .... chunk it in the water. Golf got the better of me this day as I was so frustrated I slapped my iron against the side of my old and worn down walking bag and the club proceeded to drive right through the bag...the most pure shot of the day was the one I just struck straight into my golf bag. My driver and 3 wood shafts were snapped and my 3 iron was bent. I walked off the course right then and there and I keep that walking bag with the giant hole up in my golf room as a reminder that its just a game, its not worth getting that angry over. Also its a reminder not to play with no sleep after working a 12 hour shift.

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

I played a round with a pulled muscle in my back thought I could play thru the pain, and that one good shot would "free"me up, cant remember how many shots I hit that day, the only time I should have walked off the course

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

• 2 weeks later...

93 yesterday at a really tough course in 25 mile per hour winds. My cap is a 10 right now. That was pretty brutal

Bounced back with an 81 at my club 2 days later which i was very happy with. Great ball striking day.

The bunkers at purgatory just killed my score since i really never hit out of fairway bunkers i am not very good out of them. The 25 mph wind playing from 6800 which my home course is just over 6400 was also making for very long par 4s and 5s.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

91 in a state am about ten years ago

the worst i've ever felt after a round was only a 73...i was -7 after 12 and played the last 6 in +10 (double, par, double, quad, bogey, bogey)

What's in the Bag
Driver - TaylorMade R11tp 8*, Fujikura Blur 65X
3 Wood - Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 13.5*, Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

5 Wood - Cobra Speedzone Tour 17.5*, Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X
Hybrid - TaylorMade R11tp 16*, Aldila RIP 85X
Irons - Titleist 620 CB (3-6), 620 MB (7-9), DynaGold X100
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8 48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D, DynaGold X100
Putter - Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball - Titleist ProV1x

So hard to pick:
-There was the 90 I shot in the opening round of the club championship when I was the defending champion.
-The second round of the state amateur when I went out in 47 after being in contention to get to match play after round 1. That was my first year playing tournaments in about 10 years, and I had played well in the qualifier and pretty well in the first round of the actual tournament before I had a late tee time, which gave me too much time to think about what could go wrong, and most of those things did. Shot even par or +1 on the back 9, but the damage was done.
-The tournament two years ago at a course where I usually struggle anyway, where my swing completely disappeared on the 11th hole. It was a long par 3 with this little arm of a pond in front of the tee that should not come into play for anyone playing from the back two tee boxes. Cold topped one into the drink, after another guy in the group had finished telling a story about how a guy he played with in the same tournament the year before did the exact same thing (My mental game is not exactly my strength). Completely lost any semblance of a competent golf swing from there out and shot a 50 on the back 9.
-Probably the worst was in regionals in high school, where I missed qualifying for the state tournament by a stroke after I hit the wrong ball (one of my playing competitors' in the fairway) on one of the last couple of holes. I think I also was so checked out mentally after that happened that I backhanded a 2 footer on the green, and missed that.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I recorded a 124 on the same course of my lowest round (78). It was like a nightmare where no matter how close you are to the hole you can't putt it in. I three putted from 4 ft on one.....then proceeded to 4 putt a par 3 I hit in regulation. I hit the ball of the toe on a practice swing. Set my club down in a sandtrap. I even missed a tap in from 6 inches. Several lost balls....a few lost right off the fairway....geez....I should of just left but I took my medicine like a man. Thankfully that has never happened again.

Yesterday was BY FAR my worst day of golf ever, I have never lost so many balls. At the range before hand I was killing it, but once i hit the course I was either topping them or hitting it super fat. I don't know what I shot because i stopped keeping track around the 8th hole. I am really hoping it was some freak thing.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1346621409' post='5575505']
We always talk about "best this" or "best that". I played terribly today and am depressed.

88 in my club championship as a 1 index. 5 shots higher then my next worst round in the last 2 years

can anyone beat that? (and by beat that, i mean beat that the bad way).

For the record, didn't curse once, no broken clubs, no slammed clubs. MtlJeff made golfwrx soapboxers proud LOL
[/quote]

Two rounds.

1. First round I ever played as a golfer. Shot a 74 for NINE holes. Yes...I really was that bad.

2. Most frustrating round. Got invited to a round of business golf at a local club that was simply too frickin' small for the parcel of land they tried to cram it into. Shot a 115 as a 13-handicapper. Virtually every hole on the course had OB in play off the tee on at least one side. Many holes had OB in play on BOTH sides. It was like trying to hit your tee ball down a bowling alley.

..Oh, and once you got the green, they were stimping at 13....and did I mention that they were [i][b]Pete Dye [/b][/i]Greens???

One of the few times I walked off the course at the end of a round after having shot a really bad score, and didn't feel that I had deserved it.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

Worst round ever? I have no idea, but I can tell you that one time I took a 14 on a short par 4. Only a month ago, on an executive course with 62 being par, I shot 83! I was chunking everything, missing greens and fairways and three putted a bunch. I am trying to forget about it. Last Friday on the same course I shot 66. Ya never know what's going to happen out there.