what's your worst round?

MtlJeff

I shot 89 in an event as a professional. What a miserable day that was. Not to blame the arrows, but some equipment didn't make the trip home that day.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE this thread ... it is so not WRX (where everyone is scratch).

I'm actually proud of my worst round ever. It was maybe a decade ago (when, oddly, I was playing fairly well). But it was one of those days when [i]everything[/i] went wrong. I mean, usially, on the average day, some things are good, others not so much - weird ... but this is golf ... some days you sink every putt, but every drive is in the woods. Other days, you hit every GIR, and three putt half the holes. Now and then, everything works, and you have a round of a lifetimes. Other days, nothing works (you just have to suck it up and get through the round). My worst (as memorable as my best) was Bethpage Black. Yeah, a hard course, but not THAT hard ... and I shot 148. Everything went wrong on every hole. Not just my shots ... but even the random breaks ...

Anyone had a day like that? When the golf Gods just decided you'd be cursed? When you weren't just shooting badly, but when the universe itself seemed to conspire against you?

On the bright side, there are also those weird days when everything goes right ... when every other hole you duck hook the crap out of the ball, and it should fly over the trees, smash someone's windshield, leading you to get sued, but instead it catches some little branch, kicks forward back onto the course, and rolls 100 extra yards down the cart path ... ;)

What a weird game ...

My highest was 148. My lowest, 64. Both were 75% random bloody luck.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I have been shotting low 80's the last month or so. Last week I blew up and shot 110. I mean I couldn't hit a shot until the last 2 holes.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1351574667' post='5865753']
I LOVE this thread ... it is so not WRX (where everyone is scratch).

I'm actually proud of my worst round ever. It was maybe a decade ago (when, oddly, I was playing fairly well). But it was one of those days when [i]everything[/i] went wrong. I mean, usially, on the average day, some things are good, others not so much - weird ... but this is golf ... some days you sink every putt, but every drive is in the woods. Other days, you hit every GIR, and three putt half the holes. Now and then, everything works, and you have a round of a lifetimes. Other days, nothing works (you just have to suck it up and get through the round). My worst (as memorable as my best) was Bethpage Black. Yeah, a hard course, but not THAT hard ... and I shot 148. Everything went wrong on every hole. Not just my shots ... but even the random breaks ...

Anyone had a day like that? When the golf Gods just decided you'd be cursed? When you weren't just shooting badly, but when the universe itself seemed to conspire against you?

On the bright side, there are also those weird days when everything goes right ... when every other hole you duck hook the crap out of the ball, and it should fly over the trees, smash someone's windshield, leading you to get sued, but instead it catches some little branch, kicks forward back onto the course, and rolls 100 extra yards down the cart path ... ;)

What a weird game ...

My highest was 148. My lowest, 64. Both were 75% random bloody luck.
[/quote]
Yep, I've been there. It took me to a 139. It was a long and miserable day. I knew it was going to be rough when I was hitting 5 off the first tee...

3rd professional tournament of my career about 15 years ago......101. It was about 25 degrees colder than what I was dressed for, it was like 35 degrees out. I've never been so cold playing golf in my life, nothing went right. Its very hard to pull the trigger when you are shivering uncontrollably. Needless to say i've had bad rounds since but nothing compares to that.

played my first tourney this year and shot a 92 (course rating 71 from the tees we played) off a 7 handicap. Thought, man cant get any worse than this, wont be able to win but at least tomorrow can score better and shot a 98. Yep, that was just sad. Learned a lot though, so I guess it wasnt my worst day in hindsight but sure felt like it. Hadnt broken 90 in the wrong direction in over 6 months.

I remember my second round at state, sophomore year. The end of that year had just been a slow bowling ball of badness, but I ended up shooting a 123 (with a 64 on the front). Absolutely terrible.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Alltime I cannot remember, would have been some big, big numbers when I just started playing.
This year my two worst scoring rounds have come at Bayonet in Monterey. Played it twice this year and shot two 98s. One of those after shooting a 78 the previous day at HMB Ocean Course :-s

The thing is, is I absolutely adore the course. An absolute bear and I'll be playing multiple times per year, as long as I'm in California :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1352870781' post='5931467']
89 at high school state championship. I hit the ball fine, just didn't have the short game. This came while I was about a 1 handicap so Jeff I got you beat.
[/quote]

haha....so you know [i]exactly [/i]how i feel!

my round was brutal. I didn't even lose a ball and shot 88. It was a couple of months ago now but i think it hit into like 6 greenside bunkers and made double 4 times. Not just bogey, DOUBLE bogey from a greenside bunker. Either i thinned it out or left it in there. One time i ended up in a footprint on the downslope while also shortsided.

I went into the clubhouse afterwards and when people asked how i did i said "i had some really bad luck, hit it into the bunker and got caught in a shoe print, couldn't get it out and made double. If it wasn't for that i would've been 85 at worst"

got huge laughs

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1352942999' post='5935681']
[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1352870781' post='5931467']
89 at high school state championship. I hit the ball fine, just didn't have the short game. This came while I was about a 1 handicap so Jeff I got you beat.
[/quote]

haha....so you know [i]exactly [/i]how i feel!

my round was brutal. I didn't even lose a ball and shot 88. It was a couple of months ago now but i think it hit into like 6 greenside bunkers and made double 4 times. Not just bogey, DOUBLE bogey from a greenside bunker. Either i thinned it out or left it in there. One time i ended up in a footprint on the downslope while also shortsided.

I went into the clubhouse afterwards and when people asked how i did i said "i had some really bad luck, hit it into the bunker and got caught in a shoe print, couldn't get it out and made double. If it wasn't for that i would've been 85 at worst"

got huge laughs
[/quote]
Lets just say on #10 I was hitting #5 from the tee...

Back when I first began playing I had a really rough day at the par 72 - Lakes of Taylor Golf Club in Taylor, MI. You name it, I did it - 6 putt, slices, snap hooks, shanks, worm burners and all. I shot a disappointing 110. I never want to play like that again so I kept the scorecard as a reminder to help me remain calm when I'm on the course. It must be working because I've never had another day like that (knock on wood). It's a helleva game huh?

Titleist 913D3 7.75* w/RIP Phenom 60 Stiff Flex
Titleist 913F 12.75* w/RIP Phenom 80 Stiff Flex
Titleist 983K 8.5* w/Project X 7C3 Stiff Flex
Callaway FT Tour 18* w/Project X 5.5 Graphite
Titleist 690.MB 2-Pw w/Project X Flighted 6.0
Vokey Spin-Milled - 54/11, 59/06 & 64/07 w/TTS300
Yes! Nicky @ 32" w/UST Freq Filtered Shaft
Yes! Callie-fc Blackout @ 31.5" (Alternate 1)
Odyssey Black Series #1 w/UST Freq. Filtered Shaft
IOmic Grips throughout the bag...

Just started playing golf last season and I went to the range maybe once before I rented a set and went out on the course with a few buddies. Shot a 135. It was brutal and yet I was hooked.

Best in my 1.5 seasons so far is a 99 and then an even 100 on back to back weekends. So jealous of guys on here who's "bad" rounds are mid-80's. Can't wait until triple digits is a distant memory. Getting my winter practice schedule going!!!

Ping K15 :: Graff PL Red @ 43.5"
Titleist 910f :: 15*
TaylorMade 09 Rescue 3 :: 19*
MP-59 4i-PW : 2flat : -.5" : s300
Callaway X-Forged 54/12 & 60/10
Odyssey White Hot XG #1:: Salty Grip

I know that I have done something terrible on the golf course that makes me angry. In recent memory during a Myrtle trip I went 79 - 92. I was confused and sad.

The fact that you didn't freak out though made me think how I just don't do that anymore either. I can honestly say I don't lose my cool because I just can't see how it makes it more fun. Probably realized that I'll never be on tour lol.

Honma G1X 9.5*
TaylorMade SLDR S HL *17
Titleist 915h 19*
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Ping Tour-S Rustique *52, *56, and 60*
Scotty Cameron - Art of Putting Newport 34"

87. Worst tournament round ever is an 83.

Edited to add that since I started playing seriously, I do remember a 91 in my first club championship. And I think I had an 87 in horrible conditions at the California State Amateur back in 2007 or 2008. The wind was so bad, balls were getting blown off the greens at Monterey Peninsula Country Club.

Edited to add that it was actually a 90 at Monterey Peninsula. So, since I've been a plus, that is definitley the worst round I have shot.

My buddy once shot 87 at Desert Dunes CC in the Palm Springs area, and he was MEDALIST for the Southern California Amateur Championship qualifier that day! LOL! 35 to 50 mph winds that day!!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Normally my scores are 78-84 on the course I play most. Once in awhile I get hot and do 75 or 76 (no gimmes etc.) One day last summer I did 48 on the front. What the heck, I'll do better on the back. After #16 I was one away from 50! No one blowup hole, just one bad shot after another. Just 'hockeyed' it on in. Was under 60, but not by much. Two days later 80 on the nose. Go figure.Wasn't sick or tired. Just could not hit it right to save myself. Buddy I play with says, "you doing this on purpose? You pissed or something?" I gave him 'the look.' Says he, "guess not." Ouch! I think it's tougher on you when it happens to someone else that you know can play decently. You don't know what to say.

[quote name='Willie Malay' timestamp='1352831838' post='5928763']
81. I can hear the moans now. But it came in the final of two rounds of our club championship after shooting a 68 and in the lead. Ouch.
[/quote]

Deleted cuz there's no point. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

^^^ it doesn't necessarily have to be your worst round score wise....i mean 88 is not literally my worst score ever (in the last 5 years it is but anyway) but it was more about discussing the worst you've performed in regards to your ability at the time

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Had the best summer of golf during my amateur days and then tried out for a university golf team. Played quite well the first three rounds of qualifying and then dialed up a crowd pleasing 88 on a course I had played a hundred times. This is, and Hopefully always will be, the worst round of golf I ever experience.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1346621409' post='5575505']
We always talk about "best this" or "best that". I played terribly today and am depressed.

88 in my club championship as a 1 index. 5 shots higher then my next worst round in the last 2 years

can anyone beat that? (and by beat that, i mean beat that the bad way).

For the record, didn't curse once, no broken clubs, no slammed clubs. MtlJeff made golfwrx soapboxers proud LOL
[/quote]

Senior Club Championship, playing off a 5, shot 8 over in first 6 holes, parred rest of way in, so out of it first day; though did manage to pull it together, sort of 2 nd round, only shot 40 on front, 33 on back to come in 4th gross, 2nd Net in Championship Flight.

Any round that takes more than 4 hours - where are the slow play :busted_cop: ?

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I play to a 0HC and have shot 87 twice and every 80s number beneath it in 2012..... I play tees rated 75.1CR 141slope so things can really spiral out of control fast on a bad day. IE....you finish making double on a tough uphill 460yd par4, and your only relief is the 247yd par 3 coming up next! LOL It's a hard course that can beat you down fast if you are off your game. Big scores happen sometimes..........it's part of the game. IMO...a lot depends on where you play because for example......all 87s are not equal.

[quote name='Petethreeput' timestamp='1346675322' post='5577805']
Travelled to Scotland. Only had one great weather day, no wind, no rain. Drove to Carnoustie, hit the ball well warming up. Got on the course, parred #1, felt great. Shot a 97, 22 over my hdcp.
[/quote]

Played once at Royal Troon ([url="http://www.royaltroon.co.uk/"]http://www.royaltroon.co.uk/[/url]) and started with 2 pars off a 5 Handicap. Finished on 110 with 20 penalty shots for the 10 balls I hit OB on the back nine. It got a bit windy!!

ps The only time I played Carnoustie I started 3,8 (birdie, quad bogey) then played level par to the 17th. 17 and 18 beat me up and I finished with a gross 80.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I don't have a number to attach to my worst round because it was a team match play tournament. I am not sure of the name of the format, but everyone hit a drive, then you and your partner would pick the best one and play alternate shot the rest of the way in. Now, what really made it so bad was that I was in the middle of a ridiculously hot streak. I'm talking not shooting over 75 in 4 weeks hot. Every putt it looked at just dropped.

So anyways, my partner and I breeze through the first round, and in the second, everything is going great, until I shove a little 3 footer on the 2nd hole. "Not a big deal," I tell myself, "it happens." And then I missed another. And another. And another. On the day, I think I missed 6 putts inside of 3 feet. It was like a spontaneous case of the yips. The worst was on the par 5 13th, when we were amazingly only down 2. My partner knocked a wedge stiff, leaving me about a 2 foot birdie putt, which I proceeded to knock about 7 feet by the cup, and he missed the come backer. So instead of tapping in the birdie to get the match within 1, we were now down 3 with 5 to play.

I guess part of the reason I consider it my worst round is that I wasn't just disappointing myself; I was letting down my partner. We were routinely putting ourselves in position A with our ball-striking, and I would blow it by putting like a Parkinson's patient on cocaine.

Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40