2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Eliminating early extension - once and for all

GeoffDickson

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1402948636' post='9508399']
Right shoulder down too much. Needs to work out more.

Good swing.
[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply and compliment Monte...Just saw your video on making sure the right hip goes down in the downswing instead of remaining high and that alignment rod drill seemed to help me somewhat naturally allow the right shoulder to go out more as my zipper moved away from the ball.. Whereas Just trying to get my shoulder out more felt a little funky before. It seems like when the zipper is moving away from the ball and the right hip is moving down the shoulder hangs out over the ball a lot easier which keeps the butt back.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is well written and thought out, but the cure needs to be implemented in small steps. Where do we start?

First, I'm wondering if a key symptom of EE is pushing up hard on the toes of the right foot during down swing as hips are being thrust improperly towards the ball. I know your weight is not supposed to be in your heels during the swing, but might be a good way to start feeling the fix. What do you think?

Second, to get the lateral hip move to start the downswing (rather than just firing the hips in a circular motion) one teacher says to stop being ball focused and concentrate on taking out a swath of grass on the target side of the ball. Another teaches suggests making sure you roll onto the instep of your trail foot as you start the downswing . Do you like either of these swing thoughts?

[quote name='dLoft' timestamp='1434807531' post='11792420']
This is well written and thought out, but the cure needs to be implemented in small steps. Where do we start?

First, I'm wondering if a key symptom of EE is pushing up hard on the toes of the right foot during down swing as hips are being thrust improperly towards the ball. I know your weight is not supposed to be in your heels during the swing, but might be a good way to start feeling the fix. What do you think?

Second, to get the lateral hip move to start the downswing (rather than just firing the hips in a circular motion) one teacher says to stop being ball focused and concentrate on taking out a swath of grass on the target side of the ball. Another teaches suggests making sure you roll onto the instep of your trail foot as you start the downswing . Do you like either of these swing thoughts?
[/quote]Pushing hard on the right toes I can definitely relate to.That is a distinct feeling I get when hitting fat pull draws.

• 1 month later...

Working on EE myself. Here is my latest video. This seems to be the best I've done to stop hips moving forward but I keep getting the feeling that I'm not creating enough room for the arms to come through and I'm worried the EE will come back as soon as I get a ball in front of me. Is there anything you guys can see from the video that I might be missing?

[URL]http://youtu.be/IT-5rQXnqkE[/URL]

[URL]http://youtu.be/ZBDO__MwEWA[/URL]

Ping G15 10.5* w/ UST Axivcore Tour Red Stiff
TEE XCG7 4 Wood w/ Exotics Fuel Tour 70 Stiff
Adams Super 9031 20* stiff
Adams Super 9031 23* stiff
Ping G5 5-UW w/ AWT stiff
Vokey Spin Milled 54*
Vokey Spin Milled 58*
Ping Karsten TR Anser 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully i am not too late to get a little advice here. I know I am early extending but have no idea why. Any recommendations on why and what to work on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTgQOxWqlZ4&feature=em-upload_owner

TSr2 10* - Tensei 1K White 60X
SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
MP18 MMC FLIHI 23* + New Level CB 623CB 5-PW- AMT TI X100
SM9 50.08, 54.10*, & 58.12D*-DG S200
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

• 2 months later...

Not really EE that much.

Your right shoulder does work down a bit much to start downswing.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1447781543' post='12610694']
Not really EE that much.

Your right shoulder does work down a bit much to start downswing.
[/quote]

Thanks Monte. Fellow Bruin here. Not a great weekend for Bruin athletics, eh?

With regard to the EE, that swing is better than most of mine. Other videos show me losing 4-5 inches off the tush line.

So right shoulder working more out to the ball? What's a good first transition thought for a guy whose arms always seem to lag behind his body/right hip?

Arms more diagonally forward when the right shoulder works out.

That fumble over turn is one of get too 2-3 worst calls I have seen of watching pro and college football for 40 years.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1447786358' post='12611082']

That fumble over turn is one of get too 2-3 worst calls I have seen of watching pro and college football for 40 years.
[/quote]

C'mon, it was clearly incontrovertible evidence of a fumble, right? No? Well at least it was only in the second quarter and didn't cost us the game. Oh wait, actually it did.

BTW, how could Leach leave that poor kid on the field to permanently scramble his brain like that? Felt queasy every time he hit the turf in the second half.

Thanks again for the swing advice.

[quote name='deathbymuffin' timestamp='1447787231' post='12611162']

[/quote]

C'mon, it was clearly incontrovertible evidence of a fumble, right? No? Well at least it was only in the second quarter and didn't cost us the game. Oh wait, actually it did.

BTW, how could Leach leave that poor kid on the field to permanently scramble his brain like that? Felt queasy every time he hit the turf in the second half.

[/quote]

I thought the same thing. Had he taken another huge hit, he might have gotten severe brain damage or even died. That was disgusting.

How about no holds on Hollins on the last drive. Have you seen the stills?

Have you heard Hillins comments from the WSU OL?

BERTRAND RUSSELL

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1447788360' post='12611248']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought the same thing. Had he taken another huge hit, he might have gotten severe brain damage or even died. That was disgusting.

[/quote]

I haven't seen the stills (I assume they're circulating on BRO). Don't really need to since I clearly saw the egregious holding in realtime. I've never seen a home team shafted on so many calls in one game. It was laughable, really.

Not sure if you caught the end of the Monmouth BB game, but we basically lost due to three consecutive phantom calls that put them on the line in OT (Well, and we flat out sucked too).

Pac-12 refs are the worst I've seen across the board.

[quote name='deathbymuffin' timestamp='1447789047' post='12611306']
[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1447788360' post='12611248']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I haven't seen the stills (I assume they're circulating on BRO). Don't really need to since I clearly saw the egregious holding in realtime. I've never seen a home team shafted on so many calls in one game. It was laughable, really.

Not sure if you caught the end of the Monmouth BB game, but we basically lost due to three consecutive phantom calls that put them on the line in OT (Well, and we flat out sucked too).

Pac-12 refs are the worst I've seen across the board.
[/quote]

I saw it (Monmouth).

Listening to other fans complain about Pac 12 refs in bowls and march madness is gratifying that they see it too, but sad.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Sorry guys - but NO ONE from UCLA is ever allowed any beefs re: officiating. Are you forgetting that little incident back in March vs SMU in the tournament - something about a goaltending call that was about five feet in front of the basket?

At least in the PAC 12 it's bad for everyone when it comes to football.

And until someone explains how that Husker receiver can run over to the bench, get a drink of water and return to the field and make the grab to upset the Spartans, now that's what you might consider a questionable call. Losing at home - to Wazzoo of all people!

[quote name='parmark' timestamp='1447796103' post='12611866']
Sorry guys - but NO ONE from UCLA is ever allowed any beefs re: officiating. Are you forgetting that little incident back in March vs SMU in the tournament - something about a goaltending call that was about five feet in front of the basket?

At least in the PAC 12 it's bad for everyone when it comes to football.

And until someone explains how that Husker receiver can run over to the bench, get a drink of water and return to the field and make the grab to upset the Spartans, now that's what you might consider a questionable call. Losing at home - to Wazzoo of all people!
[/quote]

Wasn't a pac 12 official and that was a legit call.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• 5 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=a5aDmj14THU&u=/watch%3Fv%3DsjerZBaC5j4%26feature%3Dem-share_video_user

hopefully this works but if not youtube Mark Crossfield Early Extension. Low handle, club rotating around and left at impact. High handle = hip thrust to compensate open face and attempt to shallow path.

https://www.youtube....hare_video_user

hopefully this works but if not youtube Mark Crossfield Early Extension. Low handle, club rotating around and left at impact. High handle = hip thrust to compensate open face and attempt to shallow path.

Good info but just like most Mark Crossfield videos, I wish he removed 97% of his chatter. Listening to him is like panning for gold. The nuggets make it worthwhile but it's a lot of work.

• 1 year later...

Great info here, thank you Monte for sharing all your knowledge. As for me, it seems like I know the causes, I work at it hard for 3 weeks feeling lots of changes and seeing a difference in ball flight and sound... then I record it and it looks almost the same. Not to mention that I can't repeat it for more than 3-4 holes in real play... could it be that we are all born with a swing and we can only make small changes to it? Is that why some are called The Natural?

• 7 months later...

just recorded myself at a different angle almost standing straight up and i even early extend on the backswing standing. The rest of you guys should record yourself to and see if the issue is still there. Been painting the kitchen all day is the reason for the mess :swoon:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNLn34Imvzo[/media]

Your right hip is flying towards where the ball would be. When people say "swing around your left leg" it causes people to do this. If you use your rear end to counter-weight the club head your right hip will not move toward the ball and will force your left hip to clear THEN you can turn around the left leg.

[media=]

[/media]

This is a very helpful video! Thank you

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread....but it’s a good one.

I’ve been struggling with early extension my whole life. Trying to eliminate it this year by making a better turn and clearing the left hip, while keeping my butt “on the wall” and not humping the goat.

I’ve found that I sometimes miss left when I feel like I’m making a good swing. I’m only guessing here, but do early extenders rely on their hands to square the clubface, and now that I am making a proper turn am I closing the face too much since I’m used to my hands doing a lot of work? I hope that makes sense.

> @airjammer said:

> Yes it is. You are steep and early extending because of it. You extend so much that you pick the ball. Can say I have ever seen someone shallow scoop the ball but I’m sure it’s possible.

I've been focusing on my hips and legs to eliminate EE, but it's very difficult to accomplish the proper movement after years of EE. One tip I came across was to get the right shoulder underneath the chin on the downswing/impact. Doing this helps maintain the spine angle, and keeps the tush on the wall. I haven't hit balls with this swing thought yet, only indoor practice swings, but it seems to help by keeping the hips where they should be without even thinking about it. Are there's pros and cons to using this swing thought to help fix EE?

> @harpua728 said:

> > @airjammer said:

> > If you don’t fix the root cause..trying to fix the effects is a fools errand.

> >

> > Post a dtl and face one slo mo video of your swing and someone will find the root cause

>

> Here are a couple of vids. Hope this helps!

>

>

>

>

Recall you posting stills of a swing from a lesson a short while ago and in those stills it appeared that you were making progress - these videos are after that post and the head scratcher is what have you been doing that the teacher prescribed or have you abandoned it? Can't see everything from just dtl but see enough to know that you have to make some significant pivot improvements and transition - not something a tip or two from here is going to resolve. Best course would be to go back to instructor for further lessons or if you lack confidence in them then take online with Monte or iteach from here.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

> @glk said:

> > @harpua728 said:

> > > @airjammer said:

> > > If you don’t fix the root cause..trying to fix the effects is a fools errand.

> > >

> > > Post a dtl and face one slo mo video of your swing and someone will find the root cause

> >

> > Here are a couple of vids. Hope this helps!

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Recall you posting stills of a swing from a lesson a short while ago and in those stills it appeared that you were making progress - these videos are after that post and the head scratcher is what have you been doing that the teacher prescribed or have you abandoned it? Can't see everything from just dtl but see enough to know that you have to make some significant pivot improvements and transition - not something a tip or two from here is going to resolve. Best course would be to go back to instructor for further lessons or if you lack confidence in them then take online with Monte or iteach from here.

The stills I posted were taken during the lesson during a drill, when I was pausing at the top and hitting 100 yard shots with an 8-iron to get the feeling down. These videos are full swings, when I was on my own, and obviously regressing to my natural swing.