2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Washington State Golf Course Reports

FlyFish

Just played Chambers Bay yesterday (6:30am tee time).

Course conditions are overall pretty great. Fairways are nicely cut and get lots of run.

Only caveat is the consistency of the speed of their greens (not an uncommon opinion).

I'll be playing here again this coming Sunday for the Puget Sound Amateur.

I played last week...Course was in great shape!

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

• 2 weeks later...

Played twice this past weekend. Jefferson Park is in very good condition (for a muni) and is playing very firm. The greens are better than all of the other city courses and the bouncing turf was a pleasant surprise.

West Seattle is also in good shape, but not quite as firm as Jefferson. Nothing special here, but good condition for the coming summer.

Flying to Seattle on 6/13 en route to Bremerton for a few days for work. I was planning to play once on the day I land and may be able to squeeze something in later in the week if I get done work early. Was considering Chambers Bay but not sure I'm willing to shell out full price if I can't get on for twilight rate.

Have seen others mention the Home Course and Gold Mountain. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.

Flying to Seattle on 6/13 en route to Bremerton for a few days for work. I was planning to play once on the day I land and may be able to squeeze something in later in the week if I get done work early. Was considering Chambers Bay but not sure I'm willing to shell out full price if I can't get on for twilight rate.

Have seen others mention the Home Course and Gold Mountain. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.

Hi Totes

GLK is pretty spot on...Chambers greens are pretty spotty but it is still a course that should be played once....vistas, layout topography etc are all amazing. I think twilight or weekday rates are like 105$. Gold Mtn (Olympic Course) is a must play so is Home Course and both are in awesome shape right now. Gold Mtn twilight is 30$...that is stupid cheap especially if you're already in Bremerton...it's same price at crack of dawn which coming from east coast might work for you. You can tee off at 5:30am and get around in 3 hours or less if you hustle. Whitehorse is about 40 min north of Bremerton...another amazing golf course cut through the woods...if you have time.

Sunset in the Seattle area, right now is at 9 pm, and, the days are still getting longer. Rush hour traffic in the Seattle/Tacoma area can be brutal, so, be aware. The airport(SeaTac) is between Seattle and Tacoma, so, unless you head north from the airport (no reason to), you only need to worry about Tacoma traffic. If you get in early enough, you might try for 36 at Gold Mountain.

Thanks all for the replies. My intent is to hit Chambers on arrival day since its essentially on the way. Hopefully time for a twilight round at Gold Mountain another evening.

Do you recommend a caddie at Chambers? I'm about a 14 handicap so not sure how much benefit there would be for me vs paying the additional caddie fee.

I'm flying up to seattle on thursday, 6/8 to screw around for a few days until tuesday. Staying near downtown Seattle for the first 2 nights and in Poulsbo the next 2 nights. I intend to get down to CB for a round but looks like rain Thursday-Saturday. Let me know if you're interested in joining up with me. I'll be a single (my buddy might carry for me since he doesn't golf but wants to hang out and see the sights) and I'm roughly 14 hcp, as well. If not, have fun anyways!

I'm flying up to seattle on thursday, 6/8 to screw around for a few days until tuesday. Staying near downtown Seattle for the first 2 nights and in Poulsbo the next 2 nights. I intend to get down to CB for a round but looks like rain Thursday-Saturday. Let me know if you're interested in joining up with me. I'll be a single (my buddy might carry for me since he doesn't golf but wants to hang out and see the sights) and I'm roughly 14 hcp, as well. If not, have fun anyways!

Nevermind! Just scrolled back and saw you're not in the area until the 13th.

Just played Druids Glen near Kent. Enjoyed the layout, was plenty long with quite a bit of water and interesting features. Chatted with the starter before the round and he said that the greens were in pretty rough shape, also said they fired their greenskeeper recently because he used the wrong fertilizer on the greens :swoon:. The greens were worse than I was ready for. Patches of dead turf in a honeycomb pattern on a decent percentage of the green area. There was still a temp green on #7, and honestly there were two other greens that I thought needed temporary holes because they were just un-puttable. One guy in our group hit a long putt on that downhill par 3 on the back (12?) and the ball jumped a good 4 inches in the air from one of the bumps. On about 6 of the holes, we instituted automatic 2 putts once we were on the green.

Overall really enjoyed the round, but they really need to make sure their greens are in shape for next season. Its quite a drive out there from the freeway and I could see them losing a lot of business over this (if they haven't already).

Just played Druids Glen near Kent. Enjoyed the layout, was plenty long with quite a bit of water and interesting features. Chatted with the starter before the round and he said that the greens were in pretty rough shape, also said they fired their greenskeeper recently because he used the wrong fertilizer on the greens :swoon:. The greens were worse than I was ready for. Patches of dead turf in a honeycomb pattern on a decent percentage of the green area. There was still a temp green on #7, and honestly there were two other greens that I thought needed temporary holes because they were just un-puttable. One guy in our group hit a long putt on that downhill par 3 on the back (12?) and the ball jumped a good 4 inches in the air from one of the bumps. On about 6 of the holes, we instituted automatic 2 putts once we were on the green.

Overall really enjoyed the round, but they really need to make sure their greens are in shape for next season. Its quite a drive out there from the freeway and I could see them losing a lot of business over this (if they haven't already).

ive heard a few times about how bad of shape druids is in this year. bummer to hear cuz it is a fun course to play. safe to say, i will not be putting druids on the list at all this year for these reasons exactly. i am usually good for at least 2 rounds there.

• 2 weeks later...

ive heard a few times about how bad of shape druids is in this year. bummer to hear cuz it is a fun course to play. safe to say, i will not be putting druids on the list at all this year for these reasons exactly. i am usually good for at least 2 rounds there.

So I'll be playing druids glen tomorrow with some friends. Looks like holes 11-14 greens are 85% healthy. The new greenskeeper is the previous one from capitol city (which greens are amazing btw). I'll update once we've played.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

So I'll be playing druids glen tomorrow with some friends. Looks like holes 11-14 greens are 85% healthy. The new greenskeeper is the previous one from capitol city (which greens are amazing btw). I'll update once we've played.

Awesome!! Hope your report back is promising...I usually play there 4-5 times a summer but haven't yet based on reviews.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

Awesome!! Hope your report back is promising...I usually play there 4-5 times a summer but haven't yet based on reviews.

So my opinion on the layout is still the same. Still love it.

In terms of course conditions I was expecting it to be a lot worse but was surprisingly in better shape than imagined. Greens on 11-14 are still pretty bad but they put the pins in spots where the patches weren't in horrendous condition. I thought the rest of the greens were in nice rolling shape. Slow but true.

I'm going to be excited to play here more than a few times come next year.

Bettinardi Queen B #15

I played at the Classic yesterday 6/21. The whole course was in super condition. A few greens still had some spots where they are recovering from some moss or fungus in the winter/spring, but otherwise all the greens were fast and smooth. I like the Classic because it is a great test of your skills - if you are going to shoot a round at of near your handicap, you better bring your "A" game. The greens are also on the firm side. Approach shots out of the rough don't stop very quickly, so it makes you plan where to land the ball so it will hold the green.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Has anyone played Chambers in the past few weeks? I'm supposed to play twice in July and I've heard reports ranging from "it's in great shape" to "worst the greens have ever been". I'm wondering how things are now that we've started to dry out a bit.

The course itself is in great shape. The gripe with Chambers is that the greens are inconsistent in regards to speed. They roll fine tbh. Just not in the shape they "should" be.

Bettinardi Queen B #15

I played Snohomish this morning. It was in good shape for a course where they don't spend a lot on maintenance. The greens were smooth and putted well, just a little slow. It's a nice layout with some interesting terrain and lots of trees. I'd recommend playing it soon before it gets baked out in late summer. Very playable right now - just remember to hit your putts firmly.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Went to Tumble Creek yesterday for the WSGA casual day...absolutely atrocious. Course was covered in desease & mold tee to green, what a major let down. Last year it was immaculate and a lot of fun to play...but if the course was in that poor of condition for this year, fair notice should have been given. You cant have people paying top dollar & driving long distances to play a name/ranked course in that condition.

I just played 27 holesat Tumble Creek last Thursday. The course was in amazing shape! Each spring when it opens, it's always a little rough around the edges with snow mold and what not. Always comes back great. Try and get back up there mid summer for another try. Always one of my favorite course in the area.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

Went to Tumble Creek yesterday for the WSGA casual day...absolutely atrocious. Course was covered in desease & mold tee to green, what a major let down. Last year it was immaculate and a lot of fun to play...but if the course was in that poor of condition for this year, fair notice should have been given. You cant have people paying top dollar & driving long distances to play a name/ranked course in that condition.

I just played 27 holesat Tumble Creek last Thursday. The course was in amazing shape! Each spring when it opens, it's always a little rough around the edges with snow mold and what not. Always comes back great. Try and get back up there mid summer for another try. Always one of my favorite course in the area.

Great to hear! I am playing Tumble Creek on Saturday 7/1. I can't WAIT! I have heard incredible things about this track. Heading over with my dad and his friend(the member). I'd love to play more than 18 but I have a feeling that is all we will have in store. I am going to do my best to talk them into at least another 9 but TBD.

I'm playing Suncadia - Prospector on Friday - any recent feedback?

Prospector is my second favorite course up there. I've heard good things about that course so far. Can't wait to play it this year, but as long as I can get on Tumble, that will always be my go to. Rope Rider is my least favorite.

I just played 27 holes at Tumble Creek last Thursday. The course was in amazing shape! Each spring when it opens, it's always a little rough around the edges with snow mold and what not. Always comes back great. Try and get back up there mid summer for another try. Always one of my favorite course in the area.

Great to hear! I am playing Tumble Creek on Saturday 7/1. I can't WAIT! I have heard incredible things about this track. Heading over with my dad and his friend(the member). I'd love to play more than 18 but I have a feeling that is all we will have in store. I am going to do my best to talk them into at least another 9 but TBD.

You will not be disappointed. Great driving range with chipping area, small snack area and pro shop. They don't take cash there. The only thing that would make your day less than awesome is if the wind is more than 15 MPH. I've played up there with steady 25 MPH with 40 MPH gusts and it was definitely a very tough day. Two of the toughest holes is hole 9 (dogleg right par with a pretty tough approach shot) and hole 11 (straight up hill par 3 with deep traps surrounding the green and hazard right).

Enjoy your time and take lots of pictures!!

[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]

Is Tumble something I could have my Pro call to get me on or not likely to get on unaccompanied?

I believe that is the case these days Monday thru Thursday. Fridays and weekends are reserved for members and their guests. I typically play with my friend whose brother is the assistant pro up there and we can only go up there Monday thru Thursdays. I don't even think they have tee times as there is so few rounds of golf played each day. I'd be shocked if there was more than 50 rounds a day played.

[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]

tumble would be so awesome to play.

My buddies and I call it "Heaven on Earth"

[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]

Played gamble sands yesterday course was in absolute beautiful condition (What chamber's bay should be like). Super fun to play. Shot 74 from the tips.

Bettinardi Queen B #15