50 Best Courses under $50

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fort Myers Country Club doesn't have their winter rates posted, but I believe they are under $50. The course gets a lot of play, so the condition isn't always the best. It's an old Donald Ross design that opened in 1917 and was a favorite of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison when they had homes in the area back in the 1920's. It's a short course with very little water, but it features typically small Donald Ross greens that make it a challenging municipal course.

[quote name='HiSpeed48' timestamp='1366123605' post='6856443']
Capital Hills Golf Course - NY

$45 non-resident w/ cart

Lots of elevation change. Some cool holes. Always in great condition. And it hosts a Symetra Tour event every year.
[/quote]
Take a drive out west. :) Unfortunately Albany doesnt have that many nice courses for the money, IMO, when compared to the rest of upstate NY.

OP, most of the courses I was going to recommend have large differences for sat and sun morning rates, and it pushes them a little over 50 bucks. En Joie Golf Course and The Links at Hiawatha, both in the Binghamton NY area. Malone Golf Course(s) in the Adirondacks of NY. Radisson Greens in the Syracuse NY area stick out as places I have played in NY that stood out, and all were less than 50 bucks when I tee'd up. I'd assume some are always less than 50, regardless of when you play it.

[quote name='Frank Ricard' timestamp='1369010000' post='7065862']
[quote name='HiSpeed48' timestamp='1366123605' post='6856443']
Capital Hills Golf Course - NY

$45 non-resident w/ cart

Lots of elevation change. Some cool holes. Always in great condition. And it hosts a Symetra Tour event every year.
[/quote]
Take a drive out west. :) Unfortunately Albany doesnt have that many nice courses for the money, IMO, when compared to the rest of upstate NY.

OP, most of the courses I was going to recommend have large differences for sat and sun morning rates, and it pushes them a little over 50 bucks. En Joie Golf Course and The Links at Hiawatha, both in the Binghamton NY area. Malone Golf Course(s) in the Adirondacks of NY. Radisson Greens in the Syracuse NY area stick out as places I have played in NY that stood out, and all were less than 50 bucks when I tee'd up. I'd assume some are always less than 50, regardless of when you play it.
[/quote]

The Binghamton area is home to some quality public courses! Conklin and Chenango are also great tracks. Hiawatha is probably my favorite.

Home Courses
- Country Club of Scranton
- Seven Oaks GC at Colgate University

I'm trying to think in the Chicago area and even the dumps I think are over 50...there are deals to be had however and you can get on a ton of great courses for 50 or less.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1366151815' post='6860097']
Rivercut in Springfield, MO. Read best public course in MO and completely worth it. Great elevation changes and the gEounds crew always has it in great shape. Played there all the time during college and miss it.
[/quote]

I second this one - only played it once but for the price it is great

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='TUGolfer06' timestamp='1369016022' post='7066516']

The Binghamton area is home to some quality public courses! Conklin and Chenango are also great tracks. Hiawatha is probably my favorite.
[/quote]

Agreed. There aren't a ton of *great* courses in Central NY, but the ones that are there are pretty cheap. I should have included Conklin.

Chenango and Green Lakes are both ~25 dollar state park courses with good layouts that would benefit a little from better upkeep, IMO But for 25 bucks, what do you expect? I play them both and enjoy them. Links at Erie Village is another decent track in Syracuse that can be played for ~35 bucks. It lengthens out nicely from the tips, and only has 3 or 4 generic holes. Seven Oaks is 70-80 bucks I think, but that course would be ~130 if it wasnt in tiny Hamilton NY. Fantastic track and very challenging. I wish Radisson Greens was kept in better shape like it was under the previous owners, as that is a really great example of how RTJ set up courses as he got older.

[quote name='Frank Ricard' timestamp='1369066564' post='7069268']
[quote name='TUGolfer06' timestamp='1369016022' post='7066516']
[/quote]

Agreed. There aren't a ton of *great* courses in Central NY, but the ones that are there are pretty cheap. I should have included Conklin.

Chenango and Green Lakes are both ~25 dollar state park courses with good layouts that would benefit a little from better upkeep, IMO But for 25 bucks, what do you expect? I play them both and enjoy them. Links at Erie Village is another decent track in Syracuse that can be played for ~35 bucks. It lengthens out nicely from the tips, and only has 3 or 4 generic holes. Seven Oaks is 70-80 bucks I think, but that course would be ~130 if it wasnt in tiny Hamilton NY. Fantastic track and very challenging. I wish Radisson Greens was kept in better shape like it was under the previous owners, as that is a really great example of how RTJ set up courses as he got older.
[/quote]

I agree that Chenango could use some better upkeep. It's still a fun place to spend 4 hours.

Seven Oaks, aka Colgate University's course, is awesome. I played it a few years ago and came away extremely impressed. It's consistently ranked among the Top 20 college courses in the country. Cornell's RTJ layout, also ranked in the Top 20, is on my bucket list.

Seneca Falls CC is a good course at a very reasonable price. I played there in 2010 on a weekend and it was definitely less than $50.

Panorama, which is halfway between Binghamton and Scranton, is another good layout for less than $50. It was the the first course in Pennsylvania to exceed 7000 yards.

Home Courses
- Country Club of Scranton
- Seven Oaks GC at Colgate University

I think in NC it is a no brainer, Tanglewood. Hosted the 1974 pga championship, hosted a senior tour event until 2003, and the highest rate of the entire year with cart is $48.

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

• 3 months later...

What ever happened with this? Was an article ever written?

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

I finally got the opportunity to play Wild Horse in Gothenburg, NE. One of the best courses I have ever played. Greens were immaculate, fast, firm, and true. The greens were on par with Sand Hills Golf Club, IMHO. I wish it was closer, I could play that course every day.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1378841140' post='7827429']
I finally got the opportunity to play Wild Horse in Gothenburg, NE. One of the best courses I have ever played. Greens were immaculate, fast, firm, and true. The greens were on par with Sand Hills Golf Club, IMHO. I wish it was closer, I could play that course every day.
[/quote]

Q, from what you said I guess that was your first trip to Wild Horse. It's pretty amazing to have a course like that sitting out basically in the middle of nowhere. I think the only course I've played with better greens than Wild Horse was Pebble Beach, and I like the green fees a lot better at Wild Horse.

[/quote]

How hard is it to get a tee time at Wild Horse? I am in Utah, but have driven that route many a times as my daughter is a Creighton alum.. I am toying with simply driving and staying and playing 3 or 4 days next season.

[quote name='roehmj1' timestamp='1366471319' post='6883133']
Harrison Hills, Attica, IN. Really fun layout. Mixture of classic old design (1920's) and new holes added in mid 90's when course was expanded to 18 holes. Always in great shape.

$40 w/cart on weekday
$45 w/cart on weekend
www.harrisonhills.com
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1379013020' post='7839703']
[/quote]

How hard is it to get a tee time at Wild Horse? I am in Utah, but have driven that route many a times as my daughter is a Creighton alum.. I am toying with simply driving and staying and playing 3 or 4 days next season.
[/quote]

You should do it Pearl. It's a municiple course in a small town so tee times shouldn't be a problem. They do however host some outings throughout the summer so you should call ahead so you don't run into one of those. You'll be glad you stopped.

• 4 years later...

Check out Santee National and Lake Marion in SC. Great place for a golfing/fishing trip.

Check out Santee National and Lake Marion in SC. Great place for a golfing/fishing trip.

Sorry, to revive an old thread. Played Lake Marion yesterday in Santee and it was in great shape for recent aeration and a low rate worked. Highly recommend for a quick 9 or 18 when travelling on I-95.

New Jersey: Hominy Hill in Colts Neck. Part of the Monmouth County Park System. Robert Trent Jones design and meticulously maintained. $46 for residents on weekends.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2