2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Played a solo round this evening using:

Walter Hagen “The Haig” 1, 3 & 4 laminated woods

John Letters, Gary Player, The Master Model 3 to 10 irons

Spalding Cash-In putter

And to complete the vintage theme, a Penfold Ace red heart 1.62” ball

Playing from the yellow tees but the way that the ball exploded off the face like a piece of sponge pudding I might as well have been playing from the whites, the best drive I hit was just over 200 yards, I was hitting 4 wood about 180 and 7 iron around 125 yards.

Pleased to score 86 gross 74 net, 35 Stableford points. Plotted my way round well and played to the clubs and the ball.

Just the par three 10th where I had a disaster, a sliced drive and a shocking short game exhibition meant I was still off the green after four shots and ended up with a quad bogey 7 but made a solid finish parring the last four holes.

Putting wasn't great but I can blame a combination of the ball and the fact that the greens had just been tined and sanded.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Played a solo round this evening using:

Walter Hagen “The Haig” 1, 3 & 4 laminated woods

John Letters, Gary Player, The Master Model 3 to 10 irons

Spalding Cash-In putter

And to complete the vintage theme, a Penfold Ace red heart 1.62” ball

Playing from the yellow tees but the way that the ball exploded off the face like a piece of sponge pudding I might as well have been playing from the whites, the best drive I hit was just over 200 yards, I was hitting 4 wood about 180 and 7 iron around 125 yards.

Pleased to score 86 gross 74 net, 35 Stableford points. Plotted my way round well and played to the clubs and the ball.

Just the par three 10th where I had a disaster, a sliced drive and a shocking short game exhibition meant I was still off the green after four shots and ended up with a quad bogey 7 but made a solid finish parring the last four holes.

Putting wasn't great but I can blame a combination of the ball and the fact that the greens had just been tined and sanded.

The Penfold Ace brings back some memories - that was my go-to ball for competition stuff back in the days. Like the clubs too - well played

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Sunday at the home course:

So I get to the course on Sunday and see the parking lot is nearly empty, except for a couple of cars and a group of young guys loading their gear into two carts. Meeting my golf partner there for our regular Sunday afternoon nine.

I go into pay, and the bartender / starter / cashier lady tells me that these young guys are new golfers, they want to learn how to play, they signed up for 18, and they are going off the first tee. Then she thinks for a second as I tell her that my usual partner just pulled in she yells out the window to the foursome, who is already at the first tee, to hold up.

One of them comes in to the bar to find a sharpie, and she tells them, "These two guys are professionals, so we're going to let them go ahead of you." The guy in the foursome says it's perfectly fine because they are beginners anyway. Cool.

Then at the tee, I tell my partner that she called us professionals, so we better not screw up.

Now we have an audience, and the bartender lady is watching from the practice green, about 25 feet from the tee.

I get up there to hit my tee shot, and where do you think it went? I hit the most beautiful...... no.

I hit a low line drive off of the heel, right between the third baseman and the short stop, into a bush. Doh.

Sunday Mulligan time. (We have a tradition to allow one mulligan since we never warm up, we just get there and go) Second shot was a nice drive, center of the fairway, nice fade. Lots of laughs at the expense of the "professional" who shanked it.

My second shot on the first hole was from about 80 yards, a beautiful sand wedge that stopped about 15 ft from the flag. Why couldn't they all have witnessed that one?!?!? LOL.

Bagged my Wislon 1200 LT CB irons, a Blonde Ping Zing driver (thanks again smorg) A Spalding 3 Wood, and a Wilson K-28 4 wood. The Dunlop PW got replace as soon as I got home with a Wilson Staff fluid feel. The SW is a Ping Knockoff. Hit some quality shots with that one over the weekend. Ball: Titelist ProV 1x Shot a 44 here on Sunday, and a 44 on a different course on Sat using essentially the same setup. It was a good weekend, and I only felt a couple of raindrops. Had my golf partner down by 2 after 5 on Sunday, but he made a spectacular comeback to win by 2. Nice day.

The only shot in golf that really matters is that tee shot on one when there's an audience. I got in the habit of hitting a 200 yard baby draw down the right edge of the fairway by choking down on my driver and using a 3/4 swing. They used to say: it's like he knows where he's going to hit it! It was very dependable until I switched drivers! :lol:

[Added] Oh yes: You need to hit the green on 18 and make the putt when there's an audience on the patio enjoying their post round beverage. Pull those three shots off with a degree of consistency and they will think you're a pro! :pimp:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The only shot in golf that really matters is that tee shot on one when there's an audience. I got in the habit of hitting a 200 yard baby draw down the right edge of the fairway by choking down on my driver and using a 3/4 swing. They used to say: it's like he knows where he's going to hit it! It was very dependable until I switched drivers! :lol:

[Added] Oh yes: You need to hit the green on 18 and make the putt when there's an audience on the patio enjoying their post round beverage. Pull those three shots off with a degree of consistency and they will think you're a pro! :pimp:

Good advice. Hopefully I can remember to try that next time... :to_become_senile:

The wife said she wanted to play 9 holes Sunday, and told me if I wanted to stay and play 18 she was fine with that (she plays twice a year; that one nice day in the Spring and that one nice day in the Fall). Decided to take the '58 Wilson Staff irons and MacGregor persimmons.

Played the front nine from the forward tees with my wife. Didn't keep score, but could tell I was playing pretty well.

Played the back nine from the 1-up tees (3,263 yards). Kept the woods in the bag and tee'd off mostly with the 2 iron, keeping every tee shot in play either on the fairway or just off. Ended up shooting 5 over, including two 3-putts and 1 shanked pitch (one of those 3-putts was from 6 feet). I was very happy with that score, and if I were a smart golfer, would do that during tournaments with my modern clubs instead of hitting driver into trouble and carding a big number like I usually do.

Best shot of the day: Par 3 playing at 170 with the pin about 5 yards from the front of the green. There's a grass bunker in front of the green, with a lip so that you can't actually see the base of the pin behind it. Hit the 2 iron solid with a nice trajectory, tracking right at the pin. The ball drops down behind the lip then takes a crazy high bounce. I get to the green and the ball is less than 5 five feet from pin-high on the left fringe. No pitch marks anywhere. Only thing I can figure is it landed in the cup and bounced back out.

The wife said she wanted to play 9 holes Sunday, and told me if I wanted to stay and play 18 she was fine with that (she plays twice a year; that one nice day in the Spring and that one nice day in the Fall). Decided to take the '58 Wilson Staff irons and MacGregor persimmons.

Played the front nine from the forward tees with my wife. Didn't keep score, but could tell I was playing pretty well.

Played the back nine from the 1-up tees (3,263 yards). Kept the woods in the bag and tee'd off mostly with the 2 iron, keeping every tee shot in play either on the fairway or just off. Ended up shooting 5 over, including two 3-putts and 1 shanked pitch (one of those 3-putts was from 6 feet). I was very happy with that score, and if I were a smart golfer, would do that during tournaments with my modern clubs instead of hitting driver into trouble and carding a big number like I usually do.

Best shot of the day: Par 3 playing at 170 with the pin about 5 yards from the front of the green. There's a grass bunker in front of the green, with a lip so that you can't actually see the base of the pin behind it. Hit the 2 iron solid with a nice trajectory, tracking right at the pin. The ball drops down behind the lip then takes a crazy high bounce. I get to the green and the ball is less than 5 five feet from pin-high on the left fringe. No pitch marks anywhere. Only thing I can figure is it landed in the cup and bounced back out.

Or it hit the flagstick outside of the hole. Balls have a tendency to rip up the edge around the cup when they go in on the fly. In either event, Great Shot!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Or it hit the flagstick outside of the hole. Balls have a tendency to rip up the edge around the cup when they go in on the fly. In either event, Great Shot!

Possibly. Maybe I can get an honorable mention in the "Most Delusional Golfer" thread, haha!

Played yesterday with:

"Classic" 1 wood, persimmon but no manufacturer's marking.

Uniroyal Arnold Palmer 3 & 4 laminated woods

Wilson Staff TourBlade Fluid Feel irons, 3 to 9 plus PW and SW, recent ebay purchase, dog rough but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Greenway putter, no idea who made this, maybe a far east manufacturer

Callaway Supersoft ball

Yellow tees and pleased with a one over handicap score, just a disaster on the 16th that spoilt the card.

Struggled with the woods for some reason. Irons were very nice though, they're a tired old set and this was my first hit with them but very impressed.

What is frustrating is that I scored 8 over handicap the day before in a qualifier with my modern clubs, okay from the white tees but still much worse than my vintage round.

Played yesterday with:

Wilson Staff TourBlade Fluid Feel irons, 3 to 9 plus PW and SW, recent ebay purchase, dog rough but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Callaway Supersoft ball

Yellow tees and pleased with a one over handicap score, just a disaster on the 16th that spoilt the card.

Struggled with the woods for some reason. Irons were very nice though, they're a tired old set and this was my first hit with them but very impressed.

What is frustrating is that I scored 8 over handicap the day before in a qualifier with my modern clubs, okay from the white tees but still much worse than my vintage round.

Those are fine looking clubs - I would be happy to play with them.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Played yesterday with:

Callaway Supersoft ball

Thanks Nomad, all clubs are for play so I'm not that fussed about the odd bit of rust and dings here and there, but I like the irons so much I'm going to re-grip them as the original grips are disintegrating.

The woods and putter are good to go as they are.

Played yesterday with:

Callaway Supersoft ball

Had the exact same set way back in the late 80s early 90s....great sticks to learn golf as young teenager! Probably scare the willies out of my now

Today I saw a bunch of Honma irons in a dark corner of a thrift shop. The only description I can offer is that they had the word HONMA on the bottom of the head above the number and inside the cavity was a Japanese name/signature which I couldn't read (in English writing). the shafts were a dark grey graphite and grips looked pretty old. Condition was well used. Wondering about these and need to get a better look because I think there was a letter+number also on the back of the head.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Today I saw a bunch of Honma irons in a dark corner of a thrift shop. The only description I can offer is that they had the word HONMA on the bottom of the head above the number and inside the cavity was a Japanese name/signature which I couldn't read (in English writing). the shafts were a dark grey graphite and grips looked pretty old. Condition was well used. Wondering about these and need to get a better look because I think there was a letter+number also on the back of the head.

The signature should be "Hiro Honma."

I played those original Honma graphite shafts in the early 1990's in Japan. They were great shafts! Honma was a world innovator with those woods back then.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I played those original Honma graphite shafts in the early 1990's in Japan. They were great shafts! Honma was a world innovator with those woods back then.

Do you know if these were forged irons?

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

I went back to the shop and bought them ($20) because I'm curious, and have never had a Japanese set before.

They do have the Hiro Honma sig inside the cavity. Irons are 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 SW, I assume 10 is pitching wedge and 11 is gap wedge?. Will get some photos shortly. Cheers

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Yes, they were all forged back then. Hogan Edges were first made in Japan because no one else had the tech know how to make forged cavities.

Yes, you're right about 10 and 11. That was uniquely Japanese! :)

That makes them even more interesting. They are certainly not the glitzy gold models that Honma apparently put out today. I will post the model number later and get some pics (irons are at another address). thanks

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

The irons are the LB-708 cavity back model which I think dates them back to the mid-late 90's.

Heads have a bit of wear and tear, I cleaned them with a fine wire wool soap pad and they came up alright, I don't want them looking like brand new. Grips are Lamkin Crossline and the shafts are Super Lite Titanium Carbon 'cavity special' High Trajectory Club R-1 and not sure of the flex (R-1 on the shaft and large S on the label near the grip). Looking forward to trying them out.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Nice looking set of irons. From experience any thing Homna or Miura hits good and has that "feel"

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Nice looking set of irons. From experience any thing Homna or Miura hits good and has that "feel"

and they're not a flashy club. I'm expecting them to lean towards a blade with not a lot of forgiveness. Not sure if they are forged or just a soft Japanese steel, guess I'll find out eventually. Just discovered these clubs first manufactured in 1993. Cheers

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

They're forged. As I said, I played those shafts. I've hit that model and they're really good sticks.

Swingweight is very light. Easy to swing, but you may need to play with some lead tape on them.

They're 1/2" shorter than what you're used to, but that's not a bad thing.

Those were made at the high point of Honma quality. That model was a huge hit in Japan.

They're forged. As I said, I played those shafts. I've hit that model and they're really good sticks.

Swingweight is very light. Easy to swing, but you may need to play with some lead tape on them.

They're 1/2" shorter than what you're used to, but that's not a bad thing.

Those were made at the high point of Honma quality. That model was a huge hit in Japan.

Thanks for the info, I noticed they were light compared to my other classics but that and the shorter shafts won't affect me. Looking forward to having a hit probably week after next. Pretty good clubs for 20-24 years old and whoever owned them last played them often, perhaps from new.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Reminiscent of the Wilson Staff Pi-5 from the early 2000's.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Soloman-

"Yes, you're right about 10 and 11. That was uniquely Japanese! :)

No, not really .....

The above is a 1962 MacGregor Louise Suggs VFQ 11 iron.

You can find a number of early MacGregor putters with the 10 designation

MacGregor also used 10 and 11 irons in some of their popular iron and Wedge models. The "99" designation was used by MacGregor and others (PowerBilt, Kenneth Smith) for wedge models.

The 10 iron PW was a feature in some of their Tourney Custom 985 models. Check Johnny Millers 1973 US Open set, which has a 10 iron.

Wilson also used the 11 iron designation in their 1958 Walter Hagen Ultra Powered models.

Honma is honoring the tradition established by MacGregor and other earlier manufacturers, and with Honma it is not exclusively RHO...

Yes, Rex, you're right. Do you know who was still using 10 and 11 iron designation in the 90's?

Added: The R1 is the flex - it's a probably close to a senior flex. The S label is not the flex.

How many stars are on the shaft? That tells you the value and the level of employee who wound and painted them.

Still can't fathom how someone can call a set of irons Pi5s. Didn't release the matching Sh1-T woods.

:rofl:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa