2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson 8802 Putter questions

[quote name='Medson' timestamp='1389290730' post='8428841']
What is the difference between a Wilson 8802 and the George Low Sportsman Wizard 600?

I have been looking at pictures. It seems Wizard 600 is a little shorter from heel to toe and a bit wider in the flange? Or it could just be the angel of pictures. Thanks.
[/quote]

The toe of the 8802 tapers a bit to more of a point, while the Wizard tends to be squarer at the toe. They do seem to be a bit shorter, on average, but they don't have to be; I have a 90s model Ram Wizard that's something of an oversized version. I haven't directly compared it to my 8813 or Tour Special, should maybe do that at some point...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1389292547' post='8429029']
What is the difference between a Wilson 8802 and the George Low Sportsman Wizard 600?

I have been looking at pictures. It seems Wizard 600 is a little shorter from heel to toe and a bit wider in the flange? Or it could just be the angel of pictures. Thanks.
[/quote]

The toe of the 8802 tapers a bit to more of a point, while the Wizard tends to be squarer at the toe. They do seem to be a bit shorter, on average, but they don't have to be; I have a 90s model Ram Wizard that's something of an oversized version. I haven't directly compared it to my 8813 or Tour Special, should maybe do that at some point...
[/quote]

The shafts are quite different also.

The long 1st step Head Speed shaft in the best 8802 putters is soft feeling.

The shaft in the 600 is much stiffer.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1389299042' post='8429765']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1389292547' post='8429029']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The shafts are quite different also.

The long 1st step Head Speed shaft in the best 8802 putters is soft feeling.

The shaft in the 600 is much stiffer.

Texsport
[/quote]

The Head Speed shaft is awesome. I have a Hagen Gentle Ben without that shaft and it's just not the same as my 8802.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

I am going to comment on a couple of things on this thread
On the 8802 putters I do remember that they became popular in the 60s due to Mr. Palmer putting and winning with one. There was a rumor going around that the steel in a certain run of 8802s was special due to accident and those were sought after but there was no way to tell any of them apart. Honestly I don't know how true that was
The Nicklaus White Fang was actually a Macgregor putter similar to a Bullseye but with the toe turned up and pointed. It was coated with a rubber like material that peeled after a few rounds clanging around in the bag. I had one and it had a dead feel. To find one in original condition today is virtually impossible due to the white "paint" coming off. From what I have seen and heard serious Mac collectors with big bucks will pay dearly for them.
There were a bunch of 8802 look alikes including the Mac Ironmaster IM-5. I will say that I think the 8802 was patterened after the Tommy Armour putters of the 50s You also have some Tommy Armour Ironmaster types made in the 60s by the PGA golf company when they acquired the trademark. There is also a JNP5 that was made by Macgregor that is similar to the 8802 but the blade is shorter and more sharp at the toe
The Cleveland versions are nearly alike the 8802. The funny thing about the Clevlands is that a standard one with just Cleveland on the bottom go for $25 or so one of the same ones with Designed by Crenshaw on the bottom can command a price of up to $100 same putter different stamping

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1389308321' post='8430881']
On the 8802 putters I do remember that they became popular in the 60s due to Mr. Palmer putting and winning with one. There was a rumor going around that the steel in a certain run of 8802s was special due to accident and those were sought after but there was no way to tell any of them apart. Honestly I don't know how true that was
The Nicklaus White Fang was actually a Macgregor putter similar to a Bullseye but with the toe turned up and pointed. It was coated with a rubber like material that peeled after a few rounds clanging around in the bag. I had one and it had a dead feel. To find one in original condition today is virtually impossible due to the white "paint" coming off. From what I have seen and heard serious Mac collectors with big bucks will pay dearly for them.
There were a bunch of 8802 look alikes including the Mac Ironmaster IM-5. I will say that I think the 8802 was patterened after the Tommy Armour putters of the 50s You also have some Tommy Armour Ironmaster types made in the 60s by the PGA golf company when they acquired the trademark. There is also a JNP5 that was made by Macgregor that is similar to the 8802 but the blade is shorter and more sharp at the toe
The Cleveland versions are nearly alike the 8802. The funny thing about the Clevlands is that a standard one with just Cleveland on the bottom go for $25 or so one of the same ones with Designed by Crenshaw on the bottom can command a price of up to $100 same putter different stamping
[/quote]

I've heard the Designed by Crenshaw's are better than the standard Designed by's. I don't know how or why. Just something I read on this site somewhere. Both came with the Head Speed shaft I believe.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

Mr Palmer actually putter with a Tommy Armour, which he had ground and added lead tape to.

Wilson's version was an effort to look like what he used.

The Wilson putters were a retail line and made in different metal amalgams, because there was little quality control on lower priced lines.

The best Wilson Palmers and 8802s are heavier, have softer metal, and have a 9"+ distance from the hosel to the.1st shaft step.

Those Long step Head Speed shafts were fairly flexible, because the Wilson putters of the time weighed 320-330 grams.

If you put that shaft on a modern 350-360 gram head, it won't work as well. I've tried it.

The best old shaft for modern heavier heads I've found is the 1960 satin, 4" fluted Bullseye shaft.

Though they haven't been made since 1960, they are highly coveted.

LaMont Mann of MannKrafted Putters has a stock of these.

You might be able to pry one away if you buy one of his custom putters.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1389309326' post='8430983']
[/quote]

I've heard the Designed by Crenshaw's are better than the standard Designed by's. I don't know how or why. Just something I read on this site somewhere. Both came with the Head Speed shaft I believe.
[/quote]I did not know what that shaft was called but I do have one of the Clevelands not the Crenshaw but we did have one at the old shop a few years back I putted with both and did not see any difference. We put the Crenshaw on auction because it was in better shape and I kept the other. The Crenshaw price shot up fast and we ended up selling it for $125. I don't think we had that much in it due to we bought it on a lot sale at a estate auction with about 100 other clubs

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I have a follow-up question.

Prior to today, I always thought Wilson 8802 was popular and Wizard 600 was unpopular because their head shapes were vastly different.

After studying their head shapes, they almost look identical. Wizard 600 is a little shorter and square-ish in the toe. My question is why so many people (both professional and avg Joe) play Wilson 8802, but nobody played Wizard 600?

The Wizard 600 was very scarce, and didn't actually feel that good at impact.

Both the 600 and 8802-type had very little offset.

Lack of offset makes aiming more difficult for right eye dominant players, but was perfect for left eye dominant players like Jack Nicklaus and Tom Weiskof.

The Ping Anser arrived on the scene, and the offset was much more aiming friendly for right eye dominant players, who are the vast majority.

The main deal, however, was that the 600 was very rare.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1389310400' post='8431095']
[/quote]

[/quote]I did not know what that shaft was called but I do have one of the Clevelands not the Crenshaw but we did have one at the old shop a few years back I putted with both and did not see any difference. We put the Crenshaw on auction because it was in better shape and I kept the other. The Crenshaw price shot up fast and we ended up selling it for $125. I don't think we had that much in it due to we bought it on a lot sale at a estate auction with about 100 other clubs
[/quote]

Cleveland and Crenshaw had a soft shaft developed for that putter, in an effort to rediscover the feel of the 8802.

BTW, Crenshaw putter with an 8802 that had an even softer Spalding pencil shaft in it - installed by his father.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

I will contribute this thread a little late. I know a thing or two about putters, but this is what I know from Mr. Tim Clark, who is the CEO of Wilson, which is now owned by a Finnish company. We talked in some detail about the original 8802. This is what I remember.

1. The original 8802 was designed by Arnold Palmer in collaboration with Robert Mendralla. The first year was 1963. (Pictures included) These models are worth more than the original 1964 model, which Crenshaw made popular, though not as popular as the original Little Ben itself.
2. The middle of the face is the exact height of a nickel. If not, it is not an original.
3. The shaft label has a green arrow and says, "HEAD SPEED."
4. The grip is a leather paddle grip and its cap has a red/blue flag on it.
5. When Palmer left Wilson, Wilson merely placed the putter in its 1964 Sporting Goods catalog and it was called "The Wilson 8802" because 8802 was the stock number on the catalog for that year, and has been called that since.
6. Original "The Wilson 8802" has "Wilson" in red, and all others in black; all other subsequent "Original" models are merely subsequent models.

With regard to Jack's putter, I remember it as a George Low Wizard 600, which many of you correctly stated, but the putter went through several brands, and the one Jack used was sold under the Sportsman brand, which later became Ram. Jack wrote in his autobiography [i]My Story[/i] that George Low himself sold him the putter during his rookie season.

[i]The next tournament was the Phoenix Open. Just before I was to tee of in its pro-am, George Low came up to me, said he had noticed how much trouble I was having on the greens, and asked if I would like to try another putter. Although I did not know George well, I was aware of his reputation as one of golf's all-time great putters (then and almost up to his death in 1995 he would bet on himself against any tour pro and invariably collect). Also, I heard that he had recently put out a new line of putters under the Sportsman label. "You betcha," I told him, and off we headed to the pro shop. On the way there, he mentioned to me that the average weight of putters made in the US was around sixteen ounces, which was a good two ounces heavier than my Ben Sayers. In the shop George then pulled off the rack what seemed like the first club he came to, and said, "Try this." It was one of his original Wizard 600 flanged-blade models.[/i]

Hope I contributed some in this thread.

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1389317342' post='8431861']
[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1389310400' post='8431095']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Cleveland and Crenshaw had a soft shaft developed for that putter, in an effort to rediscover the feel of the 8802.

BTW, Crenshaw putter with an 8802 that had an even softer Spalding pencil shaft in it - installed by his father.

Texsport
[/quote]Wow bet his dad had to do some serious shimming to make the "pencil" shaft fit the 8802

I can tell you a funny 8802 story. About 7 years ago a friend and I were playing a practice round on a local executive course that had a money shootout on Wed nights. I was putting with an 8802 and the group ahead was playing a 5 some and they let us through. One of the guys asked me is that an 8802? I said yes would you sell it? I said yes He said will give you $75 for it. Sold! My partner looked at me funny and said now what are you going to putt with tonight? No sweat man I have another in the car. I went and got it. We played the back side and were finished and the same guy saw us in the clubhouse and said I saw you on 18 is that another 8802 I said you betcha. Sold him that one for $75 also. My friend was incensed now what are you going to putt with tonight? I went to the car and got my trusty Ping Zing that I have had since the 80s. My friend said I guess you will sell that one too. Nope not on your life I replied Bill Gates does not have enough money to buy that one. The 8802s I had bought at a separate yard sales dirt cheap besides if I get the 8802 jones I have a Cleveland "8802" and several Macgregors. By the way we won the shootout that night

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1389348608' post='8433857']
I can tell you a funny 8802 story. About 7 years ago a friend and I were playing a practice round on a local executive course that had a money shootout on Wed nights. I was putting with an 8802 and the group ahead was playing a 5 some and they let us through. One of the guys asked me is that an 8802? I said yes would you sell it? I said yes He said will give you $75 for it. Sold! My partner looked at me funny and said now what are you going to putt with tonight? No sweat man I have another in the car. I went and got it. We played the back side and were finished and the same guy saw us in the clubhouse and said I saw you on 18 is that another 8802 I said you betcha. Sold him that one for $75 also. My friend was incensed now what are you going to putt with tonight? I went to the car and got my trusty Ping Zing that I have had since the 80s. My friend said I guess you will sell that one too. Nope not on your life I replied Bill Gates does not have enough money to buy that one. The 8802s I had bought at a separate yard sales dirt cheap besides if I get the 8802 jones I have a Cleveland "8802" and several Macgregors. By the way we won the shootout that night
[/quote]

So you sold two 8802's and held onto a Ping?

Dang, PM me, I have a boatload of Pings.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

[quote name='EmperorPenguin' timestamp='1389325856' post='8432865']
I will contribute this thread a little late. I know a thing or two about putters, but this is what I know from Mr. Tim Clark, who is the CEO of Wilson, which is now owned by a Finnish company. We talked in some detail about the original 8802. This is what I remember.

1. The original 8802 was designed by Arnold Palmer in collaboration with Robert Mendralla. The first year was 1963. (Pictures included) These models are worth more than the original 1964 model, which Crenshaw made popular, though not as popular as the original Little Ben itself.
2. The middle of the face is the exact height of a nickel. If not, it is not an original.
5. When Palmer left Wilson, Wilson merely placed the putter in its 1964 Sporting Goods catalog and it was called "The Wilson 8802" because 8802 was the stock number on the catalog for that year, and has been called that since.
6. Original "The Wilson 8802" has "Wilson" in red, and all others in black; all other subsequent "Original" models are merely subsequent models.

With regard to Jack's putter, I remember it as a George Low Wizard 600, which many of you correctly stated, but the putter went through several brands, and the one Jack used was sold under the Sportsman brand, which later became Ram. Jack wrote in his autobiography [i]My Story[/i] that George Low himself sold him the putter during his rookie season.

[i]The next tournament was the Phoenix Open. Just before I was to tee of in its pro-am, George Low came up to me, said he had noticed how much trouble I was having on the greens, and asked if I would like to try another putter. Although I did not know George well, I was aware of his reputation as one of golf's all-time great putters (then and almost up to his death in 1995 he would bet on himself against any tour pro and invariably collect). Also, I heard that he had recently put out a new line of putters under the Sportsman label. "You betcha," I told him, and off we headed to the pro shop. On the way there, he mentioned to me that the average weight of putters made in the US was around sixteen ounces, which was a good two ounces heavier than my Ben Sayers. In the shop George then pulled off the rack what seemed like the first club he came to, and said, "Try this." It was one of his original Wizard 600 flanged-blade models.[/i]

[/quote]

Good info but mine has the "Wilson" in red per #6 yet the face in just slightly wider than a nickel. Head Speed label is black and gold. First step is at 8.25".

Pretty certain that mine is newer so better scratch that #6 quailifier.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1389349657' post='8433877']
[/quote]

[/quote]Oh yeah that particular Ping I have had since the 80s lost it for about 5 years ( another story) still game it won a lot of money over the years with it. The 8802s are good just like my Cleveland better still have it. I also have my original Anser that I bought new in 74. Those are the only Pings I really care for

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1389357111' post='8434059']
[/quote]

[/quote]Oh yeah that particular Ping I have had since the 80s lost it for about 5 years ( another story) still game it won a lot of money over the years with it. The 8802s are good just like my Cleveland better still have it. I also have my original Anser that I bought new in 74. Those are the only Pings I really care for
[/quote]

Okay that Ping Zing looks nice. Like a My Day minus the plumbers neck?

I could part with all my Pings except my Anser 2 BeNi. Blows the doors off the nickel Scottsdale.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

I will take a shot at a couple questions. Big difference between 8802 and Wiz 600. Wiz is much shorter and had a very stiff shaft but don't know the weight where the 8802 was around 310/315 grams average and had soft shaft.
I don't think the HBA was made in hickory as it was simply a modified version of the HB by moving the hosel towards the center making it a much better putter. Shaft about like the Cash In another great putter in its day. Tad

[quote name='EmperorPenguin' timestamp='1389325856' post='8432865']

[/quote]

You are spot on correct.
To add to the George Low story

George would not only putt anyone, he would bet he could kick a ball better than any opponent could putt. He always wore boots. The inside of the right boot sole was fitted with a steel implant. It allowed him to kick a ball. I was with him at the Open at Medinah in the early 90"s I asked him if anyone had beaten him. He told me the only one was "That god damn little old lady at Oakmont". There was a woman at Oakmont whodid not play golf, but putted on the practice green. She would bet anyone and donated her winnings to charity. I also watched him give a lesson to Curtis Strange. He collected $500 and it took less than 5 minutes.

CHARLEY PENNA

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1389358323' post='8434103']
[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1389357111' post='8434059']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay that Ping Zing looks nice. Like a My Day minus the plumbers neck?

I could part with all my Pings except my Anser 2 BeNi. Blows the doors off the nickel Scottsdale.
[/quote]Dead on it about the MY Day with no plumbers neck and mine is nickel that is what saved its life one time another story for another day

Why does the first 8 in 8802 always look like its stamped deeper? I've seen this on a ton of them including mine. Kinda weird.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

took the new to me 8802 out to the practice putting green today. first off i strip of high density lead tape isnt enough. added a second strip-much better. i had forgotten what a difficult mistress these putters are. you must concentrate on every stroke. feedback is immediate and you know if it was a good stroke or not. need long lazy flowing stroke to swing this blade to full effect. you dont get feel like this from any other head type.

73 hogan apex

I once tried to combine an 8802 long step Head Speed shaft with a heavier Hoffman barn find 8802 forging.

It didn't work well, as the extra weight over loaded the shaft.

I' d guess that one of the stiffer, shorter 1st step Head Speeds might work better.

I may try a 1960 satin 4" flute Bullseye shaft on that Hoffman, if it'll fit.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1389568020' post='8448519']
I once tried to combine an 8802 long step Head Speed shaft with a heavier Hoffman barn find 8802 forging.

I' d guess that one of the stiffer, shorter 1st step Head Speeds might work better.

Texsport
[/quote]
Be ready to do some careful shim work. You can do it however. Tad

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1389577167' post='8449361']
[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1389568020' post='8448519']
I once triedF to combine an 8802 long step Head Speed shaft with a heavier Hoffman barn find 8802 forging.

Texsport
[/quote]
Be ready to do some careful shim work. You can do it however. Tad
[/quote]

I was afraid of that! Thanks for the heads up!

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1389553637' post='8447313']
scarce and expensive[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bristol-Sportsman-George-Low-Wizard-600-Blade-Putter-Original-1-/191030681122?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276"]http://www.ebay.com/...016.m2518.l4276[/url]
The seller has some other nice items for sale also
[/quote]

Wow! I'm not sure the market will bear a $9K price tag for a putter that Jack DIDN'T own...If this guy gets north of $2,500.00 he'll be very lucky!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS