2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson 8802 Putter questions

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1389308321' post='8430881']
I am going to comment on a couple of things on this thread
On the 8802 putters I do remember that they became popular in the 60s due to Mr. Palmer putting and winning with one. There was a rumor going around that the steel in a certain run of 8802s was special due to accident and those were sought after but there was no way to tell any of them apart. Honestly I don't know how true that was
The Nicklaus White Fang was actually a Macgregor putter similar to a Bullseye but with the toe turned up and pointed. It was coated with a rubber like material that peeled after a few rounds clanging around in the bag. I had one and it had a dead feel. To find one in original condition today is virtually impossible due to the white "paint" coming off. From what I have seen and heard serious Mac collectors with big bucks will pay dearly for them.
There were a bunch of 8802 look alikes including the Mac Ironmaster IM-5. I will say that I think the 8802 was patterened after the Tommy Armour putters of the 50s You also have some Tommy Armour Ironmaster types made in the 60s by the PGA golf company when they acquired the trademark. There is also a JNP5 that was made by Macgregor that is similar to the 8802 but the blade is shorter and more sharp at the toe
The Cleveland versions are nearly alike the 8802. The funny thing about the Clevlands is that a standard one with just Cleveland on the bottom go for $25 or so one of the same ones with Designed by Crenshaw on the bottom can command a price of up to $100 same putter different stamping
[/quote]
Pics of the White Fang from [size=4]Macgregor and pics of a C[/size]ommemorative[size=4] 1967 Open Bullseye from Acushnet[/size]

[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1389628193' post='8452005']
[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1389553637' post='8447313']
scarce and expensive[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bristol-Sportsman-George-Low-Wizard-600-Blade-Putter-Original-1-/191030681122?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276"]http://www.ebay.com/...016.m2518.l4276[/url]
The seller has some other nice items for sale also
[/quote]

Wow! I'm not sure the market will bear a $9K price tag for a putter that Jack DIDN'T own...If this guy gets north of $2,500.00 he'll be very lucky!
[/quote]

I can't imagine anyone paying more than $300-$400 for that putter. At the height of the market in the late 70's-early 80's, a Geo Low Wizard was probably worth between $2000-$2500 ... I never knew of anyone who got more than that. A Bristol was worth significantly less.

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1389654559' post='8454479']
I have seen a real Geo go for $11,000 cash. This putter has been faked more often then one of my putters. I have not seen anything like this in about 8-10 years but they brought huge money. Tad
[/quote]

I had read that Jack's Wizard in his museum in Ohio was insured for $3M. I guess winning all those tournaments and majors with it really bumped up its value!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1389317174' post='8431851']
The Wizard 600 was very scarce, and didn't actually feel that good at impact.

Both the 600 and 8802-type had very little offset.

Lack of offset makes aiming more difficult for right eye dominant players, but was perfect for left eye dominant players like Jack Nicklaus and Tom Weiskof.

The Ping Anser arrived on the scene, and the offset was much more aiming friendly for right eye dominant players, who are the vast majority.

The main deal, however, was that the 600 was very rare.

Texsport
[/quote]I am left eye dominant and right handed; there can be no doubt in my mind that my offsetless tour special suits me better than other more glamourous putters I bought before I found this out. :huh:

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1389654559' post='8454479']
I have seen a real Geo go for $11,000 cash. This putter has been faked more often then one of my putters. I have not seen anything like this in about 8-10 years but they brought huge money. Tad
[/quote]

I have a Julius Boros that I would be willing to part with. 11 dollars firm. No low ballers.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

i wonder what the price diff wa%24(KGrHqR,!rgFGNJKYuY2BRj3mH(ILw~~60_35.JPGs between the tour special and the 8802. ? i much prefer my tour special over the 8802 i just got.

This is mine; who knows whether it is older/newer than yours.

Your Wilson Tour Special putter is modeled after the MacGregor IM- check for offset.

The other Wilson Tour Special I putter is modeled after the 8802-

Wilson's catalog dates these from the early '80s-

1980 was the year Wilson offered their copy of the Geo Low Wizard 600.

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1389391384' post='8437705']
[quote name='EmperorPenguin' timestamp='1389325856' post='8432865']
I will contribute this thread a little late. I know a thing or two about putters, but this is what I know from Mr. Tim Clark, who is the CEO of Wilson, which is now owned by a Finnish company. We talked in some detail about the original 8802. This is what I remember.

1. The original 8802 was designed by Arnold Palmer in collaboration with Robert Mendralla. The first year was 1963. (Pictures included) These models are worth more than the original 1964 model, which Crenshaw made popular, though not as popular as the original Little Ben itself.
2. The middle of the face is the exact height of a nickel. If not, it is not an original.
3. The shaft label has a green arrow and says, "HEAD SPEED."
4. The grip is a leather paddle grip and its cap has a red/blue flag on it.
5. When Palmer left Wilson, Wilson merely placed the putter in its 1964 Sporting Goods catalog and it was called "The Wilson 8802" because 8802 was the stock number on the catalog for that year, and has been called that since.
6. Original "The Wilson 8802" has "Wilson" in red, and all others in black; all other subsequent "Original" models are merely subsequent models.

With regard to Jack's putter, I remember it as a George Low Wizard 600, which many of you correctly stated, but the putter went through several brands, and the one Jack used was sold under the Sportsman brand, which later became Ram. Jack wrote in his autobiography [i]My Story[/i] that George Low himself sold him the putter during his rookie season.

[i]The next tournament was the Phoenix Open. Just before I was to tee of in its pro-am, George Low came up to me, said he had noticed how much trouble I was having on the greens, and asked if I would like to try another putter. Although I did not know George well, I was aware of his reputation as one of golf's all-time great putters (then and almost up to his death in 1995 he would bet on himself against any tour pro and invariably collect). Also, I heard that he had recently put out a new line of putters under the Sportsman label. "You betcha," I told him, and off we headed to the pro shop. On the way there, he mentioned to me that the average weight of putters made in the US was around sixteen ounces, which was a good two ounces heavier than my Ben Sayers. In the shop George then pulled off the rack what seemed like the first club he came to, and said, "Try this." It was one of his original Wizard 600 flanged-blade models.[/i]

Hope I contributed some in this thread.
[/quote]

You are spot on correct.
To add to the George Low story

George would not only putt anyone, he would bet he could kick a ball better than any opponent could putt. He always wore boots. The inside of the right boot sole was fitted with a steel implant. It allowed him to kick a ball. I was with him at the Open at Medinah in the early 90"s I asked him if anyone had beaten him. He told me the only one was "That god damn little old lady at Oakmont". There was a woman at Oakmont whodid not play golf, but putted on the practice green. She would bet anyone and donated her winnings to charity. I also watched him give a lesson to Curtis Strange. He collected $500 and it took less than 5 minutes.

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Charley-

What a great remembrance about George Low, who I understand was known in some circles as "America's Guest".....
Your story about Low and Curtis Strange reminds me of this....
I remember the late Dave Marr commenting on ABC TV during the US Open at Oakmont in '83, after Calvin Peete, who was near the lead, missed a very short putt....

... Marr opined.... "[i]If he (Peete) could just get a lesson from someone like a George Low..."[/i]

and since we're talking putting and putters, please let me ask you this-

Do you know what type of putters were used by the following MacGregor staffers who, to my knowledge, are still in this world...

Jackie Burke Jr.
Bob Toski
Louise Suggs

...one of my friends stated they would've had access to getting "signature" IMs.... but in Toski's case, he had the "Mity Mite"

also.. any idea who the lady at Oakmont was?

Thanks again in advance...

[i]"Two Books Easy"[/i]

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1389835759' post='8468573']
I will contribute this thread a little late. I know a thing or two about putters, but this is what I know from Mr. Tim Clark, who is the CEO of Wilson, which is now owned by a Finnish company. We talked in some detail about the original 8802. This is what I remember.

1. The original 8802 was designed by Arnold Palmer in collaboration with Robert Mendralla. The first year was 1963. (Pictures included) These models are worth more than the original 1964 model, which Crenshaw made popular, though not as popular as the original Little Ben itself.
2. The middle of the face is the exact height of a nickel. If not, it is not an original.
5. When Palmer left Wilson, Wilson merely placed the putter in its 1964 Sporting Goods catalog and it was called "The Wilson 8802" because 8802 was the stock number on the catalog for that year, and has been called that since.
6. Original "The Wilson 8802" has "Wilson" in red, and all others in black; all other subsequent "Original" models are merely subsequent models.

With regard to Jack's putter, I remember it as a George Low Wizard 600, which many of you correctly stated, but the putter went through several brands, and the one Jack used was sold under the Sportsman brand, which later became Ram. Jack wrote in his autobiography [i]My Story[/i] that George Low himself sold him the putter during his rookie season.

[i]The next tournament was the Phoenix Open. Just before I was to tee of in its pro-am, George Low came up to me, said he had noticed how much trouble I was having on the greens, and asked if I would like to try another putter. Although I did not know George well, I was aware of his reputation as one of golf's all-time great putters (then and almost up to his death in 1995 he would bet on himself against any tour pro and invariably collect). Also, I heard that he had recently put out a new line of putters under the Sportsman label. "You betcha," I told him, and off we headed to the pro shop. On the way there, he mentioned to me that the average weight of putters made in the US was around sixteen ounces, which was a good two ounces heavier than my Ben Sayers. In the shop George then pulled off the rack what seemed like the first club he came to, and said, "Try this." It was one of his original Wizard 600 flanged-blade models.[/i]

[/quote]

You are spot on correct.

George would not only putt anyone, he would bet he could kick a ball better than any opponent could putt. He always wore boots. The inside of the right boot sole was fitted with a steel implant. It allowed him to kick a ball. I was with him at the Open at Medinah in the early 90"s I asked him if anyone had beaten him. He told me the only one was "That god damn little old lady at Oakmont". There was a woman at Oakmont whodid not play golf, but putted on the practice green. She would bet anyone and donated her winnings to charity. I also watched him give a lesson to Curtis Strange. He collected $500 and it took less than 5 minutes.

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Charley-

What a great remembrance about George Low, who I understand was known in some circles as "America's Guest".....
I remember the late Dave Marr commenting on ABC TV during the US Open at Oakmont in '83, after Calvin Peete, who was near the lead, missed a very short putt....

... Marr opined.... "[i]If he (Peete) could just get a lesson from someone like a George Low..."[/i]

Do you know what type of putters were used by the following MacGregor staffers who, to my knowledge, are still in this world...

Jackie Burke Jr.
Bob Toski
Louise Suggs

...one of my friends stated they would've had access to getting "signature" IMs.... but in Toski's case, he had the "Mity Mite"

[i]"Two Books Easy"[/i]

No idea of the identity of the lady at Oakmont or what the players used on the green

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

For rex235 & all the lefties:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-red-letter-Wilson-8802-Putter-Golf-Club-LEFT-HANDED-Original-Grip-/400646830204?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item5d4869787c

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1389890680' post='8471545']
[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1389835759' post='8468573']

[/quote]

You are spot on correct.

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Charley-

Jackie Burke Jr.
Bob Toski
Louise Suggs

[i]"Two Books Easy"[/i]

No idea of the identity of the lady at Oakmont or what the players used on the green

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]
[/quote]

I have seen an Ironmaster stamped Louise Suggs . I got out bid a few years ago. Haven't seen one since. I have not seen IM's for Burke, Jr., or Toski. But I have seen photos of Toski putting with what looked like his Mighty Mite.

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1389909516' post='8473475']

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-red-letter-Wilson-8802-Putter-Golf-Club-LEFT-HANDED-Original-Grip-/400646830204?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item5d4869787c
[/quote]

Front-on pic of mirror-image the Wilson 8802 putters. And sole shot of the lefty. I'm guessing mid 1970's or later on the lefty. Definitely not 1964-67.
Uncle Bob

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1389934725' post='8476163']
[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1389909516' post='8473475']

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-red-letter-Wilson-8802-Putter-Golf-Club-LEFT-HANDED-Original-Grip-/400646830204?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item5d4869787c"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item5d4869787c[/url]
[/quote]

Front-on pic of mirror-image the Wilson 8802 putters. And sole shot of the lefty. I'm guessing mid 1970's or later on the lefty. Definitely not 1964-67.
Uncle Bob
[/quote]They look like a pair of feet! :tease:

finally got to game the 8802 today. weather has been terriable for fla anyway. temp in the low 50,s and drizzle and strong wind. felt like the british open. the 8802 preformed better than expected. i seem to have the weight dialed in pretty well with 2 strips of high density lead tape on the flange. the new gripmaster leather is awesume. super tacky and soft! no 3 putts! and rolled in a 10 footer for a birdie. great distance controll left easy second putts. feel is awesume . smooth tempo is a must but you are rewarded with an ultra smooth roll of the ball. very different using this style blade

73 hogan apex

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1390157722' post='8489937']
finally got to game the 8802 today. weather has been terriable for fla anyway. temp in the low 50,s and drizzle and strong wind. felt like the british open. the 8802 preformed better than expected. i seem to have the weight dialed in pretty well with 2 strips of high density lead tape on the flange. the new gripmaster leather is awesume. super tacky and soft! no 3 putts! and rolled in a 10 footer for a birdie. great distance controll left easy second putts. feel is awesume . smooth tempo is a must but you are rewarded with an ultra smooth roll of the ball. very different using this style blade
[/quote]

Welcome to the club ;)

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

Don't you guys think that heel-shafted putters like the 8802 are harder to start the putt on line? For the first 17 years of my life I have used a Bulls Eye Old Standard, and when I tried the 8802 one day I had much trouble on any makeable putt. I guess the idea is to think more of a chip shot on the green with a open-to-shut action instead of square-to-square with a Bulls Eye.

[quote name='EmperorPenguin' timestamp='1390192367' post='8493403']
Don't you guys think that heel-shafted putters like the 8802 are harder to start the putt on line? For the first 17 years of my life I have used a Bulls Eye Old Standard, and when I tried the 8802 one day I had much trouble on any makeable putt. I guess the idea is to think more of a chip shot on the green with a open-to-shut action instead of square-to-square with a Bulls Eye.
[/quote]

Yes. In my opinion they can be harder to start on line. They require pretty solid fundamentals. Namely one, "Eye Over The Ball". This ensures that you are square at impact.

I see what your saying about an open to shut pitch. I think of it oppositely. My running chips are more like my putts. Gotta read the green and allow for some shutting of the door for a good roll and release.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

[/quote]

As mentioned previously, a low offset, heel shafted, right handed putter is difficult for a right eye dominant player to aim.

Center shafted , low offset putters, and full offset putters are easier for these players to aim.

Another solution, for right eye dominant, right handed players is to have a full offset 8802 style putter custom made. Full offset, heel shafted putters are easier for such players to aim.

My pro did this and added loft and weight also. He can really roll that thing!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1390219068' post='8494107']
[/quote]

As mentioned previously, a low offset, heel shafted, right handed putter is difficult for a right eye dominant player to aim.

Center shafted , low offset putters, and full offset putters are easier for these players to aim.

Another solution, for right eye dominant, right handed players is to have a full offset 8802 style putter custom made. Full offset, heel shafted putters are easier for such players to aim.

My pro did this and added loft and weight also. He can really roll that thing!

Texsport
[/quote]The reverse implication being that a low offset heel shafted putter will be easier for a left eye-dominant right handed person? My personal experience is that most putters offer some offset.

I am left-handed and left eye dominant. But I play right handed. I am obviously an Ironmaster fan. I have always putted better with the IM's than the IMG's.
I also have an arc type stroke, which seems to work better on these putters. Although Mr. Jack Nicklaus used a more straight back and straight through stroke
With a heel-shafted putter. And some might say he had a fair amount of success on the greens. I don't know if he is left eye dominant or not. But the Geo. Low Wizard 600 has a minimal offset.

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1390453442' post='8514389']
I am left-handed and left eye dominant. But I play right handed. I am obviously an Ironmaster fan. I have always putted better with the IM's than the IMG's.
I also have an arc type stroke, which seems to work better on these putters. Although Mr. Jack Nicklaus used a more straight back and straight through stroke
With a heel-shafted putter. And some might say he had a fair amount of success on the greens. I don't know if he is left eye dominant or not. But the Geo. Low Wizard 600 has a minimal offset.
[/quote]

I distinctly remember reading that he was, indeed, left eyed dominant.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

The closest thing you can find to the "Head Speed" shaft is the True Temper YHSF. This is the 6" stepped model with the flared tip that TT and Cleveland used on their Designed By putters. It also has the smaller .580" butt. The heaviest head that I've been able to successfully use with this shaft is around 340g. Heavier than that, the putter tends to "pop" the ball at impact and you lose distance control.

With heavier putters, I prefer the YESTF shaft. It's stepless and has a .600" butt. Byron used these in his DBCM putters, which were around 345g.

Personally, I was never a fan of the fluted Bullseye flared tip shafts or the fluted shafts used in the Wizards. They tended to make the shaft very stiff and I always though it gave the putters a harsh feel.

Tad has a special flared shaft on his Tour Classic and Bard Find putters. Cameron had a C-YHSF which had a 6" first step, but ended in a .600" butt. Bettinardi was using Precision FM shafts for a long time. And there have been numerous other modified step patterns with the flared tip.

Just because my first 8802 was a 90s remake and had the 6" first step, I still feel most comfortable with that and the stepless shafts.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I agree about the standard fluted Bullseye shafts, but not for some of the rarer Bullseye shafts.

(1) some of the earliest, original Bullseye putters had softer shafts - step less and longer flute models were in use. If you can find and match one of these shafts to the right weight putter it can work.

(2) the 1960 final production satin, 4 1/8" fluted Bullseye shafts work spectacularly on heavier putters. I had a putter made for my son which feels great and rolls the ball very well. That putter is a 365 gram modified 8802 with 4* of loft and a full offset hosel. Even though it's stainless, the shaft and face milling create a surprisingly soft feel, something we wanted.

I admit that matching rare or exotic shafts to anything other than a custom head is not easy.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter