2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

And a good question.

Originally, it was thought that more flexible shafts gave an "assist" to those with less clubhead speed. If that's not actually true, then I'm not sure I understand the rationale for flex recommendations based on clubhead speed.

I'm sure there will be fitters eager to show you with radar and computer graphics that one shaft or flex is more consistent or more accurate than another. Is that really true? Can one inanimate object be more consistent than another?

Or are the inconsistencies in the golfer, rather than the shaft?

Giving the fitter the benefit of the doubt, that you might swing one shaft or flex more consistently than another - how many balls would you have to hit to be sure that the dispersion you're seeing on screen is the result of the club and not just your naturally varying level of performance. I suspect that if I hit 10 white balls and 10 pink balls with the same 5 iron, one colour would end up looking more consistent than the other.

What's "R flex" anyway? Is it the same from one shaft model to another, or are standards all over the place?

While we're at it - what's flex? Frequency, deflection - and is it more important than weight?

In the absence of good answers to these questions, I'm left with the idea that a good shaft is one that feels good to the person swinging it. As far as I know, both Hogan and Moe Norman held their preference for swinging telegraph poles well into their later decades when there could be no question that they weren't generating the same power or speed as in their prime. If it feels good, and it doesn't cost you clubhead speed, then why not?

Lastly, I do believe that a stiffer shaft will transmit the shock of a mishit more efficiently. It makes sense to me that if you're hitting it well, then any shaft will feel good - but if you're skanking it, a softer flex is not going to improve things but may well feel a little less punitive.

In my mind weight is number one followed by bend profile and then lastly flex. The thing is that those who gravitate to lighter weight shafts are likely going to end up with more flexible shafts more often than not with engineering constraints being what they are.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I should then send him a copy of a couple of books that I authored:

1) Shanking for distance and accuracy

2) How to line up your third putt

My famous book I wrote Saturday "How To Worm Burn a Penna Driver" Followed up by How to Hit a Butt Ugly Stinger Cut With a Hogan 2 iron"

I had taken the Deuce out of the bag since a couple of years ago. Used to be one of my favorite club in the bag. Replaced it with a 3 hybrid and a 5 wood on rotation.

I am going to carry the Deuce as long as I can hit it. Hybrids I call "hookbrids" no matter how much lead tape I put in the toe. Like I have said many times I fear the hook worse than most folks fear the shank. That 5 wood I carry in my front line set I hit further than a normal 5 wood it is a rocket. The 2 iron my stock shot now is a stinger cut. I can still hit a float cut with the 3 iron as long as it has a senior steel shaft or regular flex shaft in it. My friend Bear calls my stock shot with the 2 iron "that butt ugly stinger cut". He hates it.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I should then send him a copy of a couple of books that I authored:

1) Shanking for distance and accuracy

2) How to line up your third putt

My famous book I wrote Saturday "How To Worm Burn a Penna Driver" Followed up by How to Hit a Butt Ugly Stinger Cut With a Hogan 2 iron"

I had taken the Deuce out of the bag since a couple of years ago. Used to be one of my favorite club in the bag. Replaced it with a 3 hybrid and a 5 wood on rotation.

I am going to carry the Deuce as long as I can hit it. Hybrids I call "hookbrids" no matter how much lead tape I put in the toe. Like I have said many times I fear the hook worse than most folks fear the shank. That 5 wood I carry in my front line set I hit further than a normal 5 wood it is a rocket. The 2 iron my stock shot now is a stinger cut. I can still hit a float cut with the 3 iron as long as it has a senior steel shaft or regular flex shaft in it. My friend Bear calls my stock shot with the 2 iron "that butt ugly stinger cut". He hates it.

My bag had been for decades made up with 1-SW, 3 wood and driver, and a putter ( sometimes putter was replaced with a third wedge ). Had left the numero uno in the spare bag after I passed 53. But the Deuce was still around for many years after that.

Now I'm thinking of leaving the 3 iron to join the brothers.

I used to hook the hybrids like you, But thing changed with time, now I learn to play the hybrids and they are great if you find the right shaft for them and learn to hit them like a long iron. Used to sneeze at the 5 woods, thought it was for the weaker golfers, now I find it useful from 150 yards to 190 yards ( gripping it down really made this work ), and it darn near looked like a 2 iron some time when grip down.

Yeah, I had the 3 and the 4 hybrids in the bag, still trying to play the 3 iron and the 4 iron when the weather is warmer but I don't see the reversal of time in the future. Recently found a 2 hybrid, the head is the same size as 3 wood from the 80's. Getting to like it because I start to use it like a 3 wood ( with .370 shaft it plays different ).

Holy mackerel! :swoon:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

We have had two "50 year storms" and a "1,000 year storm" since September 9th!!!!!!!!! Nearly 22 inches of rain in a mountainous region that averages 42 inches per year. Nowhere for the water to go but up.

I heard that on the Allstate Insurance commercial myself. But I did research it and they say it is true whomever they are

R flex in Modus 3 120g. A firm tip and fairly low spin. Driver was 5.5 Even Flow so again not exactly that lively. Current Ping 55s flex is not much of a poker but does spin it too much and leak right at times. And yes I will be taking both shafts out onto the course to see real world data.

Are you changing shafts or having a new set?

Beautiful early Fall Morning. Turned out to be a sunny afternoon after we got done in the morning.

I won't be playing weekday early morning rounds for awhile. Have to moonlight a second job.

That is my favorite time of the day to play. I can relate to the need to moonlite also. I won't be playing at that time of day anymore because I haven't learned to cope with temps in the 30's yet....

Beautiful early Fall Morning. Turned out to be a sunny afternoon after we got done in the morning.

I won't be playing weekday early morning rounds for awhile. Have to moonlight a second job.

That is my favorite time of the day to play. I can relate to the need to moonlite also. I won't be playing at that time of day anymore because I haven't learned to cope with temps in the 30's yet....

Still trying to land a decent part time job. Not a lot of choices for a senior these days. Most the places want at least 20 years younger and a shinning resume' ( made up content or not ). A few of the applicants to the last position were young enough to be my grand children.

I had played the early bird tee time mostly in the last 4 decades, now, I will find weekend twilight tee time next season..

Still trying to land a decent part time job. Not a lot of choices for a senior these days. Most the places want at least 20 years younger and a shinning resume' ( made up content or not ). A few of the applicants to the last position were young enough to be my grand children.

I had played the early bird tee time mostly in the last 4 decades, now, I will find weekend twilight tee time next season..

Good luck on the job front. I feel your pain. I am afraid by the time I also need a part time job as a senior that the only jobs I will be able to get are the ones that no one wants anymore, and I won't be physically able to do them.

Isn't the early morning just a wonderful time to be on the golf course? I love teeing off before sunrise in the summer. You see things that time of day that are truly special. I'll have to try the twilight - before the bugs get too bad...

When we were still living in Wisconsin that was considered sweater weather. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

That is beautiful.

This is what the golf haters don't understand,that we play in arenas of natural beauty and in this case great majesty,you would have to be a poor soul not to be inspired by such a view.

We have had two "50 year storms" and a "1,000 year storm" since September 9th!!!!!!!!! Nearly 22 inches of rain in a mountainous region that averages 42 inches per year. Nowhere for the water to go but up.

According to the National Weather Service, our area is now 36+ inches over typical/average annual rainfall, with another 11-12 weeks to go in the year

Even though we didn’t get the whole enchilada during the storm, we still experienced some tropical force winds, which resulted in some downed trees on the course. Driving home yesterday I took one of the scenic routes. Dodged debris the whole way.

My hearts out to those that felt the brunt of the storms.

To be fair, I think there are golf haters who appreciate the beauty and majesty, they just object to being shelled with golf balls whilst their dog takes a dump in the middle of the fairway.

Thanks.

I was waxing lyrical with my Stratfordian heritage and the tone is immediately lowered by a sweaty sock from Caledonia....

I mean,even your national poet Rabbi (or was it George?) could have found more in that view than a potential dog turd.....

Couldn't he...?

On a different theme...

Fresh respect for the Mighty Nicklaus,this time as a course designer.

My new interest in watching the LPGA has seen some terrific courses but absolutely outstanding in my view was the course where they hosted the UL Crown matchplay last week.

Some credit is due the LPGA for setting up the course well as regards tees and pin positions but it looked perfect for the tournament format.

This week's Hana Bank is also from Korea and another Nicklaus design which initially looked a bit contrived but which actually looks really good as play progresses with lots of spectator space without resorting to the unattractive banking that we saw at Golf National.

My pal from York was one of the professionals at the London Golf Club,said the design was superb and saw the man himself there on the practice ground hitting balls,his comment was,"I've never heard a ball strike like that before...."

I had no opportunity to go down there and Wag has moved on to Yas Links.

I often wonder how they designate the label of 100 year flood, or the 100 year floodplain.

Sometime ago, I over heard a RE broker told her client not to worry because the property her client was considering is on the 100 year floodplain and we had a real bad Winter flooding the neighborhood just a few year prior, so she hinted to them it'll probably not going to flood again, soon.

I almost stepped in to caution the young couple to do more research on the subject of recent climate changes, and study the topography from the County record and also the satellite map before they jump into apparently their first RE purchase. Thought about it and bit my tongue then walked away.

I had friends sold off their water front property ( Pacific fronting vacation property , or Lake front residential property ), because the insurance premium had accelerated to a level they don;t feel comfortable. Maybe the insurance carriers know something ?.

I often wonder how they designate the label of 100 year flood, or the 100 year floodplain.

Sometime ago, I over heard a RE broker told her client not to worry because the property her client was considering is on the 100 year floodplain and we had a real bad Winter flooding the neighborhood just a few year prior, so she hinted to them it'll probably not going to flood again, soon.

I almost stepped in to caution the young couple to do more research on the subject of recent climate changes, and study the topography from the County record and also the satellite map before they jump into apparently their first RE purchase. Thought about it and bit my tongue then walked away.

I had friends sold off their water front property ( Pacific fronting vacation property , or Lake front residential property ), because the insurance premium had accelerated to a level they don;t feel comfortable. Maybe the insurance carriers know something ?.

The insurance companies have had to pay out quite a few bucks over the last 5 years or so and they are trying to recoup their losses. Flood insurance per say is through FEMA. But in the last few years we have had quite a few people sell ocean front homes because of the escalating insurance premiums. A lot of folks could not justify the high premiums for a second or vacation home. This sounds bad but I hate to see what the rates will go to now with the recent hurricanes we have had this year alone.

To be fair, I think there are golf haters who appreciate the beauty and majesty, they just object to being shelled with golf balls whilst their dog takes a dump in the middle of the fairway.

They ought to get shelled with golf balls for letting their dog take a dump in the fairway that is not their property. Same as letting the dog take a dump in their neighbors yard and not cleaning it up. I am a dog lover and the poor dog is not to blame but irresponsible dog owners are to blame. What used to happen down here with the retirees that do not play golf. They buy a house on a Golf course thinking they will live in it and sell it for a big profit a few years down the road because it is on a golf course. Now days down here there are so many courses closing some of those folks are loosing money. One real estate guy told me it is hard to sell a house on a golf course now due to this happening depends on what course.