2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

Interesting thoughts from Gary Player:

http://www.espn.com/...y/_/id/25185041

That always has been and always will be the case.

Frank Hannigan once said that the PGA Tour could disappear and would be forgotten within a short period of time because amateur golf would continue to do business as usual.

Player cannot just shut up and fade away,his ego won't allow it and his hypocrisy is staggering when you see a course that he designed played on by the Ladies European Tour in India recently.

I doubt that there is a flat spot on the course,bunkers have artificial revetments,the greens are grainy with lots of slopes and high spots,it looks like an elephants' graveyard.

A complete contradiction of what he said in the article.

Plenty of us remember him for cheating his way to Open 'victory',pompous,self righteous little man.

Frank Hannigan once said that the PGA Tour could disappear and would be forgotten within a short period of time because amateur golf would continue to do business as usual.

Player cannot just shut up and fade away,his ego won't allow it and his hypocrisy is staggering when you see a course that he designed played on by the Ladies European Tour in India recently.

I doubt that there is a flat spot on the course,bunkers have artificial revetments,the greens are grainy with lots of slopes and high spots,it looks like an elephants' graveyard.

Plenty of us remember him for cheating his way to Open 'victory',pompous,self righteous little man.

Woah. Tell us how you Really feel. Never heard about the cheating thing... Do tell.

Woah. Tell us how you Really feel. Never heard about the cheating thing... Do tell.

Here you go...

https://thesandtrap.com/b/swing_thoughts/he_cheated

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Player is to Golf what Ginger Baker is to drummers. They don't rate anyone else.

People make excuses for Ginger Baker - that he's really a jazz purist, rather than a rock drummer.

I wonder what's Gary Player's excuse?

He would probably tell you he's a well balanced person......in his case that means a chip on both shoulders.

He's always taken the credit for introducing a fitness regime into top level golf conveniently forgetting that it was Frank 'Muscles' Stranahan who actually won international body-building titles as well as being the greatest amateur golfer of his era.

I started a thread some time ago on Frank Stranahan for those not familiar with him and there;s a complete match where he beats Arnie on YouTube,Stranny playing with white Toney Penna woods!

Player has also long enjoyed the reputation of being a great putter but probably not as good as his countryman Bobby Locke.

There are two principal tales of his cheating in the Open,firstly when his ball disappeared into the willow scrub (members agreed that it would never resurface) to be found in the nick of time by his faithful caddie Rabbit.

GOLDFINGER!

It was noticed by those on the balcony above Player as he prepared to hit the left-handed shot from beside the clubhouse that he was involved in a spot of gardening,using the face of the putter to shovel away loose soil in order to improve his lie.

Tom Watson called him on at least one occasion which,I think,tells all.

Just like to share a story. Probably you'll know someone like that in your life or maybe not.

I'm going to mask the character's real name to protect his identity.

I met Jimmy around 16 years ago on a golf course. I was a single walking on a public golf course for the twilight rate, one beautiful Summer day. Although in my fifties, I could still play this game without pain and with not much of the old injury flaring up. I had just hit my tee shot when someone yield at me to wait, and here comes this guy rushing down the walkway to the tee box to join me.

He thanked me for waiting and promptly sliced his tee shot to the right of the fairway. I was glade to meet up with another golfer,so off we went. It was like any other time when I golf with strangers. We chat between golf shots of everything but important things in life. Jimmy was obviously relatively new to the game, but he did okay.

Jimmy was happy to golf with someone whom could golf better than he was so he asked if we could golf again sometime. I was thinking of recruit him to our golf club so we exchanged contact.

Since then, we had played quite a few rounds of golf together , with our regular group of golfers or just the two of us.

You see, Jimmy had an injury to his head, has short term memory lost issue so he was not able to hold a job, however, he seemed to be doing well financially. Later I found out Jimmy was flipping properties with his wife and B-I-L. He did well. So through out the years we had known each other, I helped him with his golf equipment repair and sometimes he'll ask for advice to fix his golf swing.

It can be frustrating because Jimmy is a smart person, and whatever I'll tell him on the driving range he could grasp the key point and show immediate improvements. He would look back at me after hitting a great golf shot and say " Gee, I have no idea how I did that ". But in a week or two when I golf with Jimmy, he'd gone back to his old self with the same old golf swing.

I can get frustrated and ask him what the heck was going on ? That's the time he showed me the scar on his head hidden under the hair, and I learned that jimmy can watch a movie and totally forget about it in a few weeks, so he could watch the same movie and enjoy it all over again.

I kind of gave up on giving him help on golf swing. What for ? The guy will forget everything in a few weeks.

But I still help him when he asks. Like putting a band aid on a bleeding wound.

Same thing with golf equipment repair. Since Jimmy wanted to learn the basic of changing grips. He bought a small air compressor and hooked blades ....... I showed him how to change grips in his garage and watched him do a few to get hands on. He did okay. In a few weeks he'd call me for help because either the new grip got stuck half way up the shaft or something else like alignment for the reminder grip........

Anyhow, Jimmy was a nice guy, and he is smart in many ways. Sometimes I'd think he was pretending with the short term memory problem.

In the late 90's into the early 21st century. we had the mortgage crisis and tighter lending practice mandated by the regulatory agency put Jimmy out of flipping properties. He has assets, money in the bank and high credit scores, but he hadn't been working for decades. No steady bi-weekly paycheck narrowed the avenue to get mortgage.

So Jimmy down sized his residence from a large house to a townhouse unit. At the meantime, his wife had serious health issue , Rheumatoid Arthritis plus diagnosed dementia, a couple of surgery....... their health insurance premium was like over 3 thousands each month. Good thing was, the grand fathered policy could not be canceled.

The story line was, Jimmy play golf these days to get away from the daily reminder of his worries. He told me, the only time he could stop worrying about what's laying ahead is when he is on the golf course.

I admired him for taking what life had dished out to him, always try to remind him how lucky he is to be able to play golf still.

So do you play golf because you enjoy the grind. Like the entertainment ? As an escape ?

Great story wkuo3! You have a good and compassionate heart.

I wish I could answer your question as at this moment in time, golf is a bridge too far for me, but I will always maintain hope. As for the reason, it would be the social aspect of playing with a regular group as well as the exercise of going for a good walk in pleasant and quiet, natural surroundings. :)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Great story wkuo3! You have a good and compassionate heart.

I wish I could answer your question as at this moment in time, golf is a bridge too far for me, but I will always maintain hope. As for the reason, it would be the social aspect of playing with a regular group as well as the exercise of going for a good walk in pleasant and quiet, natural surroundings. :)

I would not have the time nor the patience if I were much younger for someone whom would forget things over and over again. As my own time is winding down, I'm more aware of how I use the 24 hours in the day. I can't baby sit other people besides my own kids ( whom are almost out of the nest ), but I do have a few hours for friends.

One thing I learned from the game of golf is patience and take it as it was given to me , then try to make it better.

I was a very impatient young man and a Maverick . Somehow I learn to be patient on the golf course, if I couldn't I probably would not golf .

My multilayered answer to your question would be a combination of exercise, natural beauty, tradition, solitude, and personal challenge. Those are the things I like best about the game. Serenity and solitude would probably be at the top of the list. I just don't get the opportunity to play with others very often.

Golf is my escape and gentle exercise.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

+1 on the escape bit,I used to love solo golf,the opportunity to stroll round watching the birds and wildlife and soaking up the scenery,whilst not a tree-hugger I am a tree lover and at my new course I'm enjoying the many mature trees that look fantastic in their autumn colours.

Non-golfers rarely see that aspect of the game,Walter Hagen got it right when he said to stop and smell the roses.

I have had plenty of time to enjoy it over the last week or so,I played so badly on my last outing that I decided not to play again until I was sorted out,so I have spent my time on the practice ground,approx 2 hours a session hitting balls,probably not that many shots because I have made the effort to make every shot count rather than just blast them off into the distance.

It's been interesting because I've concentrated on 6,8,PW and have gone with a different make and shaft flex each time in order to draw some reasonable conclusions.

This course has the best practice ground of any that I've joined since moving here,wide,long enough to hit driver and with a short game area that unfortunately is Bugs's playground,darn wabbits!

I used to practice a lot but it's so easy to get out of the habit but I've not missed playing and may continue with the work in progress.

I actually started striking the ball great having realised that I was not turning my hips,just moving laterally,creating a casting action whereas hip turn creates shoulder turn back and through the ball.

Maureen Madill is my inspiration!

Along with Carol Kirkwood.

They have things in common...

Jimmy called me yesterday P.M. It was his regular weekday for senior club outing. I asked if he had played ? It was a windy day with occasional rain mixed in.

He said yes he sure did, I replied that he was a dedicated golfer.....

Then Jimmy said that he called his wife after the game to take an offer on the house..........So, Jimmy had his first hole in one. He was paired with 3 other low handicap index holders but he got to play from the forward tee. He had his hole in one at a par 3, short distance of 131 yards from the forward tee. Then the second par three in the front 9 he got the KP.

The little guy didn't shoot a good score, 92 was his score.

He received $9 for the hole in one and the KP price ( each golfer contribute $7 into the winning pot ), 3 flight , 12 prices with 20+ participants that day.

I asked how much did he spent on drinks...... Over $130 he spent on the drinks.

Oh well, that's light comparing to what could be spent to celebrate. I'll make fun of him next time I see him, since Jimmy is a tight guy. He is fair , but he is very tight with his wallet.

He must have Yorkshire blood in him!

I doubt it, he had a childhood spent in poverty, his Mom worked as house cleaner and maid for the high society near Beverly Hills all her life. A habit grooved in deep for him to watch for his spending. A good habit when one does not have the hand out from their parents ( or the government ).

My mum too,went 'into service' at 14 years of age as a maid,cleaner and dogsbody.

My dad also worked for them in a small manufacturing plant but left after a minor disagreement.

The managing director would arrive at 9.30,look busy until 12.30 then clear off to the golf club.

Business had slacked off and the owners asked my dad what he thought and he promptly gave them his views on the MD's attendance record and efficiency coined in fairly basic terms.

The owners backed the MD,it was later discovered that he'd been fiddling the books to support his lifestyle and my dad was out,fortunately into a better situation in a brewery!

My mum too,went 'into service' at 14 years of age as a maid,cleaner and dogsbody.

My dad also worked for them in a small manufacturing plant but left after a minor disagreement.

The managing director would arrive at 9.30,look busy until 12.30 then clear off to the golf club.

Business had slacked off and the owners asked my dad what he thought and he promptly gave them his views on the MD's attendance record and efficiency coined in fairly basic terms.

The owners backed the MD,it was later discovered that he'd been fiddling the books to support his lifestyle and my dad was out,fortunately into a better situation in a brewery!

No good deed goes unpunished

In deed.

When I was just out of school and working at this place ( to be unnamed ), out of the blue received a termination notice.

Couldn't fingered out what I did to trigger the termination, was so depressed at the time. One of the management told me behind everyone's back that this might turn out to be a better deal for me. I found another position and moved on, the business went belly up later.

My first experience of office life, the senior partner disappeared every Wednesday afternoon. Only once a week, to be fair - even in provocatively good weather. Everyone in the office was frightened to actually say out loud what was going on. I don't believe that kind of deference exists many places now, nor do I miss it.

+1 on the escape bit,I used to love solo golf,the opportunity to stroll round watching the birds and wildlife and soaking up the scenery,whilst not a tree-hugger I am a tree lover and at my new course I'm enjoying the many mature trees that look fantastic in their autumn colours.

Non-golfers rarely see that aspect of the game,Walter Hagen got it right when he said to stop and smell the roses.

I have had plenty of time to enjoy it over the last week or so,I played so badly on my last outing that I decided not to play again until I was sorted out,so I have spent my time on the practice ground,approx 2 hours a session hitting balls,probably not that many shots because I have made the effort to make every shot count rather than just blast them off into the distance.

It's been interesting because I've concentrated on 6,8,PW and have gone with a different make and shaft flex each time in order to draw some reasonable conclusions.

This course has the best practice ground of any that I've joined since moving here,wide,long enough to hit driver and with a short game area that unfortunately is Bugs's playground,darn wabbits!

I used to practice a lot but it's so easy to get out of the habit but I've not missed playing and may continue with the work in progress.

I actually started striking the ball great having realised that I was not turning my hips,just moving laterally,creating a casting action whereas hip turn creates shoulder turn back and through the ball.

Maureen Madill is my inspiration!

Along with Carol Kirkwood.

They have things in common...

I am like you on the nature part when I walk my solo rounds. I love to look at all the wildlife around the course. We have those huge Fox Squirrels here that are tame and friendly. They will literally eat out of your hand. I think they get interested and they will follow you around sometimes hole to hole. On old one has been around for years will watch me on the practice tee or putting green. On my walking rounds with 7 or 8 clubs I do not keep score just try to make use of the "tools" I have selected for that day. I have so much stuff on those rounds I try to play a whole new set up everytime. Like the feel of a well struck persimmon do not care that it only goes 220 or so. Love hitting the stinger cut 1 or 2 iron and the feel of making a difficult putt with an antique Bulls Eye or TP Mills. Sometimes I take a breather and sit enjoying the view and a decent cigar. Kinda fun starting after a big group of tourists and having 5 balls and ending up with 15 after 9 holes. Golf for me now has taken on a whole new meaning since I do not play comps or big money matches anymore. In the last few years it has really came to light for me the meaning of playing for fun and the love of the game like Bobby Jones described. Trust me I still love the rounds with the NY boys in fact we are playing today but I like my single solitude rounds too.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Golf is my escape and gentle exercise.

On the exercise part for me it is both physical and mental. On the mental end it is not about the approach to course management etc but club engineering. My mind is always working and turning. I am always experimenting with some combination in the shop. Glad to get on the range or course to hit them to see if it works or not and usually I am constantly tweaking the build. Part of my fun now. Just like today I am playing with the NY boys and I have my recently rebuilt set of Cally X-forged and Bear is giving me a set of S-56 Pings so those will be in the moonlight bag strapped to the cart too. Also have a Cally PM grind 56* I did a minor sole reshape on and weighted up. Fun day for me. Do not care about the score just the experiments.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

My first experience of office life, the senior partner disappeared every Wednesday afternoon. Only once a week, to be fair - even in provocatively good weather. Everyone in the office was frightened to actually say out loud what was going on. I don't believe that kind of deference exists many places now, nor do I miss it.

On a somewhat related note, I've had a few office jobs over the course of my now 35 years in the workforce. I've found the banality of most of it to be rather depressing at best, and downright soul-crushing at times.

We were strongly encouraged in our youth to pursue degrees of higher learning in order to avoid menial work, the inference being that working with one's hands was only 'lowly work' for 'lowly people'. And yet, these are the people we used to call 'craftsmen'. Where once we exalted, now we denigrate...

I secured that degree in my early adulthood, duly trained to churn out endless charts, graphs, and reports...and whatever other bits n bytes of financial minutia are deemed to be so vital from one second to another by any random, middle-management money changer. Whether they contribute anything of tangible value to the community appears to be rather unimportant -- "Why would you even ask such a stupid question!"

Over the last 9 years, in a career-phase just concluded, I estimate that I completed approximately 30,000 reports for two different companies, mostly as a subcontractor. Sheesh.

I did it because it paid the bills and for the most part, allowed me to work at home. But I'm glad its over. If you were to tell me that, over the next 9 years, I have produce another 30,000 reports then I believe I would prefer a sharp stick in the right eye (non-putting eye, that is).

When people would ask me what I did for a living I would tell them that, "I'm a paper maker -- I take small stacks of paper in the morning and turn them into large stacks by the evening."

I'd have to say the best jobs of my adult life (both after obtaining a college degree, btw) were 1) framing houses and, 2) driving a truck. In both cases the work was honest, satisfying, and of clear tangible benefit to my community. And there were also opportunities to make a good living, a fact that is lost on most people these days.

I can best sum up my office experience with the following anecdote: at a small company where I worked the owner came to me with a special project -- a Rush Job with a Tight Budget! -- and implored me to contract out the research as quickly and as cheaply as I could. It looked to me like a 2-3 week job that should cost around $8k, but I found a fellow willing and able to do half the job in a week for $1,500 with myself taking on the other half of the work (as a salaried employee, no additional pay for the additional work).

I found out later that the owner had billed his client $75,000 for this work, or a cool 98% profit margin...

That same summer that same guy took his family on an ultra swanky vacation costing about $20,000 (he bragged). Two weeks later he announced that not only were summer bonuses for everyone being cancelled but also that the company would no longer be providing coffee in the breakroom. True story.

Now some people would say, "You're a great business man if you can pull that off," or "You're worth as much as you can get." Me, I'd say, "You're a giant a**hole."

I have a suspicion that if and when I reach the Pearly Gates there will not be any financial disclosure forms as part of the approval process. I'm pretty sure the Almighty has a different definition of Net Worth than this guy.

Eh, Apologies if this doesn't belong here, perhaps I should have put this in the 'Rants' thread.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

<snip>

Now some people would say, "You're a great business man if you can pull that off," or "You're worth as much as you can get." Me, I'd say, "You're a giant a**hole."

I have a suspicion that if and when I reach the Pearly Gates there will not be any financial disclosure forms as part of the approval process. I'm pretty sure the Almighty has a different definition of Net Worth than this guy.

Eh, Apologies if this doesn't belong here, perhaps I should have put this in the 'Rants' thread.

Well, it definitely belongs somewhere. Thanks for sharing.

A mentor of mine once told me that you don't do a deal like it's the last one you're ever going to do. There needs to be something in it for everyone otherwise you won't be in business long. I think that sort of philosophy is lost on a lot of folks these days...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Ok, You made me do it...

I worked in Agricultural Outside Sales from my early 20's to my late 30's. Worked my way up from Direct to the Farm, to Area Manager, to District Manager, to Regional manager. The Company I worked for in those last 2 positions made me the National Sales Support Coordinator. This was a privately owned business at that time but was latter bought out by Cargill. When the President decided to retire he put his youngest son in charge (bet you see where this is going.) This stalwart of mediocrity had achieved a 4 year Business Degree... in 6 years. He had zero knowledge of how Farm, Mill, or any other sales operated. He had no understanding of the manufacturing process, shipping, etc., etc., etc. Now none of that detered him from trying to Micro-Manage everything involved in the business. He was doing a fantastic job of driving everyone in the Home Office, and most of the Sales Force, Nucking Futs!

I had a small crisis I was trying to manage. I had mixed feed on one of our semis. Dealership who'd ordered didn't want it but wanted their correct order. Manufacturing plant didn't want or have a place for it. I had 6 lights on my phone lit up trying to get a corrected feed tag from manufacturing, find a buyer for the feed, get my trucker moving again, and get the correct feed mixed and delivered to the original dealer.

Our New President chose that time to enter my office to share his wisdom with me. He said we needed to talk. I informed him politely that it would have to wait and why. He impolitely told me I needed to get off the phone and take a meeting with him. I told him to Get The F_ ck Out Of My Office! He said I couldn't talk that way to him. I informed him that I had just done so.

Out of 6 Upper Management Positions within the Home Office 4 of us resigned within the first 6 months of his "Leadership." Yes, I resigned at the end of the day after solving the 'crisis' and before he could terminate me.

12 months latter Cargill bought the company out.

They probably got a bargain.

On a somewhat related note, I've had a few office jobs over the course of my now 35 years in the workforce. I've found the banality of most of it to be rather depressing at best, and downright soul-crushing at times.

We were strongly encouraged in our youth to pursue degrees of higher learning in order to avoid menial work, the inference being that working with one's hands was only 'lowly work' for 'lowly people'. And yet, these are the people we used to call 'craftsmen'. Where once we exalted, now we denigrate...

I secured that degree in my early adulthood, duly trained to churn out endless charts, graphs, and reports...and whatever other bits n bytes of financial minutia are deemed to be so vital from one second to another by any random, middle-management money changer. Whether they contribute anything of tangible value to the community appears to be rather unimportant -- "Why would you even ask such a stupid question!"

Over the last 9 years, in a career-phase just concluded, I estimate that I completed approximately 30,000 reports for two different companies, mostly as a subcontractor. Sheesh.

I did it because it paid the bills and for the most part, allowed me to work at home. But I'm glad its over. If you were to tell me that, over the next 9 years, I have produce another 30,000 reports then I believe I would prefer a sharp stick in the right eye (non-putting eye, that is).

When people would ask me what I did for a living I would tell them that, "I'm a paper maker -- I take small stacks of paper in the morning and turn them into large stacks by the evening."

I'd have to say the best jobs of my adult life (both after obtaining a college degree, btw) were 1) framing houses and, 2) driving a truck. In both cases the work was honest, satisfying, and of clear tangible benefit to my community. And there were also opportunities to make a good living, a fact that is lost on most people these days.

I can best sum up my office experience with the following anecdote: at a small company where I worked the owner came to me with a special project -- a Rush Job with a Tight Budget! -- and implored me to contract out the research as quickly and as cheaply as I could. It looked to me like a 2-3 week job that should cost around $8k, but I found a fellow willing and able to do half the job in a week for $1,500 with myself taking on the other half of the work (as a salaried employee, no additional pay for the additional work).

I found out later that the owner had billed his client $75,000 for this work, or a cool 98% profit margin...

That same summer that same guy took his family on an ultra swanky vacation costing about $20,000 (he bragged). Two weeks later he announced that not only were summer bonuses for everyone being cancelled but also that the company would no longer be providing coffee in the breakroom. True story.

Well. I guess I prefer to be the "lowly people", doing the "lowly work".

Funny thing is, those paper pusher pay for their exercise membership, running on the treadmill like a lab rat.... these are the same guys whom will not even mow their own yard and d their own landscaping.

Both Bill Gates and Warren Buffett enjoyed washing dishes..... they say the act relax their mind....... I guess golfing is too much work for them.

Ok, You made me do it...

I worked in Agricultural Outside Sales from my early 20's to my late 30's. Worked my way up from Direct to the Farm, to Area Manager, to District Manager, to Regional manager. The Company I worked for in those last 2 positions made me the National Sales Support Coordinator. This was a privately owned business at that time but was latter bought out by Cargill. When the President decided to retire he put his youngest son in charge (bet you see where this is going.) This stalwart of mediocrity had achieved a 4 year Business Degree... in 6 years. He had zero knowledge of how Farm, Mill, or any other sales operated. He had no understanding of the manufacturing process, shipping, etc., etc., etc. Now none of that detered him from trying to Micro-Manage everything involved in the business. He was doing a fantastic job of driving everyone in the Home Office, and most of the Sales Force, Nucking Futs!

I had a small crisis I was trying to manage. I had mixed feed on one of our semis. Dealership who'd ordered didn't want it but wanted their correct order. Manufacturing plant didn't want or have a place for it. I had 6 lights on my phone lit up trying to get a corrected feed tag from manufacturing, find a buyer for the feed, get my trucker moving again, and get the correct feed mixed and delivered to the original dealer.

Our New President chose that time to enter my office to share his wisdom with me. He said we needed to talk. I informed him politely that it would have to wait and why. He impolitely told me I needed to get off the phone and take a meeting with him. I told him to Get The F_ ck Out Of My Office! He said I couldn't talk that way to him. I informed him that I had just done so.

Out of 6 Upper Management Positions within the Home Office 4 of us resigned within the first 6 months of his "Leadership." Yes, I resigned at the end of the day after solving the 'crisis' and before he could terminate me.

12 months latter Cargill bought the company out.

They probably got a bargain.

I feel you !

I knew that was coming 4 decades ago when I worked for the Tandy, who owned the Radio Shack. Back then when the PC just took off, Tandy actually had a line of pretty competitive products.

Our new district manager had a meeting with us, when he was first appointed. I vividly remembered he said something inline of " you don't need to know how to cook the steak to sell it, you sell the sizzle ..." I knew we'll have some problem under his leadership. Everyone knows what happened to Radio Shack.

Sorry to say, this is the culture during the last few decades, leadership without knowing the business and the people in the business. All the top brass cared about is the numbers and the graph on the charts. They could careless about the company nor the people in the company. They'll take their sign up bonus and severance package in a few years for their own retirement.

They don't care.

I sat in a meeting last week basically discussing how I was supposed to ensure that the proper environmental reports were in line so we could continue to lay the ground work for turning perfectly functional natural areas and farm ground into more factories producing useless consumer goods. This basically goes against the entire reason I got into environmental work.

If you take time to actually read the Unabomber Manifesto and remove from the equation that he was a violent whack-job, he makes a lot of sense. Are you also a slave to your automobile?

I sat in a meeting last week basically discussing how I was supposed to ensure that the proper environmental reports were in line so we could continue to lay the ground work for turning perfectly functional natural areas and farm ground into more factories producing useless consumer goods. This basically goes against the entire reason I got into environmental work.

If you take time to actually read the Unabomber Manifesto and remove from the equation that he was a violent whack-job, he makes a lot of sense. Are you also a slave to your automobile?

Too many people involved with different and hidden agenda of interests to their own. Ever wonder why sometimes a good thing won't work ?

Because each one is for their own and each move has motive ( whether it's apparent at time or not ). Top level management meeting has always been like playing a game of "GO". Seemingly boring most of the time but be careful not to fallen as a prey .