2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway 2014 Apex Pro Irons: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ButterSwing' timestamp='1383723761' post='8108786']
but how does the Apex Pro compare to the 714 AP2s? I'm sure I'm not alone in having that thought :)
[/quote]
714 AP2 has slightly wider soles, more offset(but it is blended in nicely) and a higher MOI, which should lead to it being very forgiving, IMO only. Having hit the Apex Pro briefly, I would say size, sole, offset, playability and looks (except for the satin finish) are very close to the current 2013 x forged, but with more forgiveness.

Feel is subjective, but both have a nice muted sound/feel. Not Mizuno soft or Bridgestone firm, but very similar. FWIW I would play the Apex over the AP2.

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1383741162' post='8109000']
but how does the Apex Pro compare to the 714 AP2s? I'm sure I'm not alone in having that thought :)
[/quote]
714 AP2 has slightly wider soles, more offset(but it is blended in nicely) and a higher MOI, which should lead to it being very forgiving, IMO only. Having hit the Apex Pro briefly, I would say size, sole, offset, playability and looks (except for the satin finish) are very close to the current 2013 x forged, but with more forgiveness.

Feel is subjective, but both have a nice muted sound/feel. Not Mizuno soft or Bridgestone firm, but very similar. FWIW I would play the Apex over the AP2.
[/quote]
Thanks for the input pullfade :) I'm currently gaming the xforged 2013 and while it's been amazing thus far (good distance and forgiveness for its size and profile) I just fell in love with the feel of the 714 AP2s. I've also found the x forged just a tad harder to manage on firm fairways where it feels like there's just a bit too much bounce.
The apex pros look really good however. Definitely seems to be an improvement made with the x forged as the base reference.

[quote name='ButterSwing' timestamp='1383745682' post='8109248']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks for the input pullfade :) I'm currently gaming the xforged 2013 and while it's been amazing thus far (good distance and forgiveness for its size and profile) I just fell in love with the feel of the 714 AP2s. I've also found the x forged just a tad harder to manage on firm fairways where it feels like there's just a bit too much bounce.
The apex pros look really good however. Definitely seems to be an improvement made with the x forged as the base reference.
[/quote]I would think the AP2 would be worse on firm fairways???

This thread is why I love this place. Great pictures!

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Does anyone have the head dimensions for the Apex Pro and Apex? Would like to compare them to the Razr x tours.

Epic 9.0° Rogue x
Optiforce 15° Rogue x
X Forged UT 3 KBS
Apex Pro 4-PW KBS
Mack Daddy 2 52°, 56°, 60°
Odyssey ProType #3.1 mod
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/869684-rpvl-dutchwitb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1383747707' post='8109386']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

The AP2 have less bounce...haven't seen the specs on that yet for them, but if the same the 3 iron starts at 0*.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Fish-N-Chips' timestamp='1383760589' post='8110474']
So we expect this to be a bit smaller than the x-forged but with more forgiveness?

Sounds a lot like a forged S55 to me.
[/quote]

No, Apex Pro is slightly larger than the X Forged and slightly smaller than the Apex.

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1383761069' post='8110534']
[quote name='Fish-N-Chips' timestamp='1383760589' post='8110474']
So we expect this to be a bit smaller than the x-forged but with more forgiveness?

Sounds a lot like a forged S55 to me.
[/quote]

No, Apex Pro is slightly larger than the X Forged and slightly smaller than the Apex.
[/quote]

Sounds like enough forgiveness for them to be deadly!

Does anyone know what their plan for the x forged 2013 is in light of the Apex Pros? I understand that the Pros are slightly larger and more forgiving, but it seems like they are both forged player's cb's with similar forgiveness. Is the X forged going to be phased out? If not, who is the Apex Plus going to be marketed to, and who is the x forged going to be marketed to?

For those of you that are Callaway iron users, do you find yourself switching irons frequently? Or is it that once you make a purchase they stay in the bag for a few seasons?

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

[quote name='golf_junkie27' timestamp='1383769302' post='8111262']
For those of you that are Callaway iron users, do you find yourself switching irons frequently? Or is it that once you make a purchase they stay in the bag for a few seasons?
[/quote]

I'm still playing the '09 X Forged irons...haven't had a need to swap them out still don't but the want occasionally creeps just bc of wanting something new...and well these new Apex Pro Irons really have me intrigued!

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
Adams D-hy 21° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24° 6.0
Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
Titleist SM5 F Grind 50°
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58°
Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter

[quote name='zakkozuchowski' timestamp='1383655361' post='8104040']
Our front-page tech story on the irons can be read here: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/147878/tech-talk-callaway-apex-pro-irons/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...apex-pro-irons/[/url]

- Zak
[/quote]

Winner winner...chicken dinner..:)

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[/quote]

I don't think you'll be able to draw any real conclusions from any answers you get for a few reasons. First, this is more personal than anything else. It's based on what the person does, not necessarily the clubs the person is using. For a while, I would always buy the latest version of Titleist irons. Not because I needed new ones or I honestly thought they would make me better, I simply wanted them.

Secondly, you're asking a group of the biggest golf degenerates in the world! There are people around here that will literally go through five sets of irons in a single year. Some avid golfers will only play five sets of irons their entire lives.

I've said previously in other threads...I'm playing Callaway X Hot Pro irons now and when I switch, it won't be because I think the new irons will help me score better; it'll be because I just want new irons. Thankfully, I can actually admit that ;)

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1383769833' post='8111314']
[/quote]

I don't think you'll be able to draw any real conclusions from any answers you get for a few reasons. First, this is more personal than anything else. It's based on what the person does, not necessarily the clubs the person is using. For a while, I would always buy the latest version of Titleist irons. Not because I needed new ones or I honestly thought they would make me better, I simply wanted them.

[b]Secondly, you're asking a group of the biggest golf degenerates in the world! There are people around here that will literally go through five sets of irons in a single year. Some avid golfers will only play five sets of irons their entire lives.[/b]

[b]I've said previously in other threads...I'm playing Callaway X Hot Pro irons now and when I switch, it won't be because I think the new irons will help me score better; it'll be because I just want new irons. Thankfully, I can actually admit that ;)[/b]
[/quote]

This is exactly how I feel.

[/quote]

Secondly, you're asking a group of the biggest golf degenerates in the world! There are people around here that will literally go through five sets of irons in a single year. Some avid golfers will only play five sets of irons their entire lives.

I've said previously in other threads...I'm playing Callaway X Hot Pro irons now and when I switch, it won't be because I think the new irons will help me score better; it'll be because I just want new irons. Thankfully, I can actually admit that ;)
[/quote]

I feel the exact same!! I played TM for 8 years, switched to Titleist and played the 710 and 712s, and went to Callaway XHP in every club except SW/LW and putter! I haven't hit irons any better in my life than playing the XHPs, and these Apex irons have me quite intrigued... and not cause I need to switch, but more because I am one of those degenerates hayzoos is talking about!
I'm more excited for the woods to come out though...

Titleist TSR2, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X
Taylormade Sim2 Max 3wd, Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
Callaway Mavrik 5wd, Fujikura Speeder 8.3X
Callaway Mavrik 7wd, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8X

Srixon ZX-4, 5 iron, ZX5 6-GW Project X LZ 6.5
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* and Titleist SM9 60*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12

on the bench Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters 

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1383747707' post='8109386']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Nope! The x forged has quite a bit more bounce on it as compared to the ap2s. Mr Roger Cleveland designed it with ample bounce in mind, great from most fairways and under most conditions but just a bit harder to manage in firm conditions. Here in Singapore the fairways can get baked pretty hard under the sun and heat :(

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1383763915' post='8110814']
Does anyone know what their plan for the x forged 2013 is in light of the Apex Pros? I understand that the Pros are slightly larger and more forgiving, but it seems like they are both forged player's cb's with similar forgiveness. Is the X forged going to be phased out? If not, who is the Apex Plus going to be marketed to, and who is the x forged going to be marketed to?
[/quote]

For the guy who wants a more traditional set of forged players irons..the X Forged are that club...you want the X Forged size for the most part but a little more multi-material forged forgiveness...APEX PRO...you want the explosive distance of the XHP, with the X Forged feel and a ton of forgiveness and can get your damn ego out of the way...APEX!!! I kicked my ego to the curb, btw...Apex for me.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='tsur1' timestamp='1383792353' post='8113224']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I feel the exact same!! I played TM for 8 years, switched to Titleist and played the 710 and 712s, and went to Callaway XHP in every club except SW/LW and putter! I haven't hit irons any better in my life than playing the XHPs, and these Apex irons have me quite intrigued... and not cause I need to switch, but more because I am one of those degenerates hayzoos is talking about!
[/quote]
Hey T..what up!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1383793864' post='8113332']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Hey T..what up!!
[/quote]

What's up bud!!? These Apex sightings are killing me!!! There is no reason for me to even consider these irons lol

I am killing my irons and driver. 3 wood and hybrid are looking to retire as soon as I can try the new gear coming out!

Titleist TSR2, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X
Taylormade Sim2 Max 3wd, Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
Callaway Mavrik 5wd, Fujikura Speeder 8.3X
Callaway Mavrik 7wd, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8X

Srixon ZX-4, 5 iron, ZX5 6-GW Project X LZ 6.5
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* and Titleist SM9 60*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12

on the bench Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters 

[b]What's up bud!!? These Apex sightings are killing me!!! There is no reason for me to even consider these irons lol

I am killing my irons and driver. 3 wood and hybrid are looking to retire as soon as I can try the new gear coming out![/b]

I hear you...of course, have the Apex heads in the Callaway booth, so can always hit them !!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I have finally decided that I might upgrade my irons for next season. It's going to be a tough call between the Nike Forged Pro Combos and these!

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

[/quote]

[/quote]

I feel the exact same!! I played TM for 8 years, switched to Titleist and played the 710 and 712s, and went to Callaway XHP in every club except SW/LW and putter! I haven't hit irons any better in my life than playing the XHPs, and these Apex irons have me quite intrigued... and not cause I need to switch, but more [b]because I am one of those degenerates hayzoos is talking about[/b]!
[/quote]

People been callin' me a degenerate all my life. Now I know why.

Probably will go with the standard Apex, but those are beautiful looking irons right there.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I just plagarized my own post to put it here too...since there are two threads about these irons...Mods, if necessary delete a post from me!!

Little update...

So....went to GG tonight after work for some testing of the Apex and Apex Pro, vs my X Forged!! Used the Callaway Certified Fitting bay, since we looked pretty dead...no one even interuppted my hour of ball striking. Well the first 10 minutes were of me cussing myself out :angry22: for still having a swing that sucked Word not allowed!! Just been off the last couple months, still scrambling to 80-83 and knowing it could be better. black%20eye.gif

Contenders: :bb2:

X Forged -Ctaper X-130 grams, SS 1x

Apex Pro-- KBS Tour S-120 grams and DG S300-130 grams

Apex - KBS Tour S- 120 grams and DG S300-130 grams

All heads were 6 irons.

Intentions--find out what I really want and can really help my game overall. Been leaning major league Apex...mind you have only hit the Apex Pro in the KBS Tour V-110 Grams Stiff before today. :rap:

Started by benching my 6 iron in the monitor and trying to get 4-5 good shots in a row to see how it was hanging.

Consistently in the 184-188 range(normal) and baby fades of 4-8 yards. Solid spin and launch for me. :scenic:

Testing--- :beruo:

Started Apex Pro, since similar to the X Forged the most.

KBS Tour..started thinning it too much, was coming off it just a touch, thought it was the shaft..realized I was just too far off the ball and wasn't allowing my left arm to hang straight down..plus kept lifting head off the ball..all normal for me when I get out of whack...made the adjustments and BOOM! 190+ on solid hits--avg 194-196, same launch as X Forged and about same spin...pretty consistent dispersion, very solid...this club sings for me with a 120+ gram shaft in it.

Went to Apex with KBS Tour...same set up at address and 196+ on average...full club over the X Forged..yadda yadda..lighter shaft, less loft...NOT THAT MUCH LIGHTER OR LESS LOFT! Felt great off the face...JUST like the XHP at impact...soft and buttery explosion of a golf ball. Launch about the same, spin about the same...ball speed HIGHER!

I tried the DG's in them for a 130 to 130 comparison with the Ctapers...and anyone who has hit both knows the smoothness of the Ctaper's make them 'swing lighter'...so balanced...anyway...I was getting very solid results with the DG's launching about the same and distance was comparable, but maybe a bit shorter than KBS in the Apex/Apex Pro.

Conclusion---Could I go Tour V 120X and get used to it...probably...but when the Ctaper 130X SS 1x, to me, swing as easy as a 120, but stiffer, and is this smooth, plus I get great results with them...I will be staying with the Ctapers for this set. Thanks to Nick Arther at Callaway for setting off the light blub on this decision...if you have something that works and gets results, then why are you intrigued by another shaft for the clubs. DUH!

Decision--- COMBO set is back on...still have to decide on final make up...the Apex and Apex Pro at the dividing line will be bent 1 weaker/ 1 stronger respectively to get the correct gaps set for the transistion. Current mind set is 4-6 Apex and 7-Gap wedge Apex Pro. The Apex Pro with the heavier shaft was just really solid, yeah, quite a bit more solid than my X Forged as far as forgiveness and distance on mis-hits. The Apex are a mid-long irons dream club...point--shoot--go far with normal effort...can't say much more...confidence in the Apex for those shots will be sky high. :smilie_cally:

Hope that Helps!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link