2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Only Realistic Solution For Whiners Of Slow Pace Of Play

From the paper I posted in the other thread (emphasis mine):

"Remember the “myth of the 4-hour round” discussed in Chapter 1. When some courses

cause players to travel over 1.5 miles, taking 24 minutes or more just to get from greens

to tees, how could they possibly expect to play in four hours? Most of the time they can’t.

Two courses might have the exact same playing yardage of 6,500 yards, but because of

differences in obstacle diffi culty and travel distances between greens and tees, the fi rst

course has a pace rating of 4:05 and the second has 4:30. This means that the very best

round time that course can expect when the course is full is 4:30. And as we’ve discussed

earlier, most of the time it will be longer"

The pic below is from Oak Grove in Harvard, IL. It's 7,000 from the tips and 5,300 from the most forward tee. We play the course around 6,600 which is rated/sloped at 73.1/138. The course has a fair amount of distance between holes and as you can see, the distance between the 9th green and the 10th tee is easily a 10 minute walk.

Including stopping for a bio break between 9's, we walk this course in about 4:05 although we've walked it in 3:45 on a weekday. The age range for our group is 40-61 and everyone walks. The handicaps for the group range from about 9 -15 so we're not what I would consider golfers with amazing ability. I've seen scores in the 100's posted as this course has some tough holes.

The point in all of this is that we expect to be done in + or -4 hours and we police ourselves as needed. If you go into a round and "prefer" to play in 4:30, you'll make it...even if the time par is significantly less.

courselayout.jpg

That's great. I am happy that you're group is able to play at a pace that suites you. But this has nothing to do with what most, or the "average" would be.

Since when are 40-60 year olds with 9-15 handicaps NOT an "average golfer?" You can't hit the demographics more perfectly than that.

Another example where one side will give examples and solutions, and the other won't acknowledge.

Talking about average pace of play not average age and/or handicap.

How many times have you said, "but everyone is different." And here is an example of "average people" that you were provided.

You just are not being intellectually genuine in how you're engaging people in these topics.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Remember the “myth of the 4-hour round” discussed in Chapter 1. When some courses

cause players to travel over 1.5 miles, taking 24 minutes or more just to get from greens

to tees, how could they possibly expect to play in four hours? Most of the time they can’t.

Two courses might have the exact same playing yardage of 6,500 yards, but because of

differences in obstacle diffi culty and travel distances between greens and tees, the fi rst

course has a pace rating of 4:05 and the second has 4:30. This means that the very best

round time that course can expect when the course is full is 4:30. And as we’ve discussed

The pic below is from Oak Grove in Harvard, IL. It's 7,000 from the tips and 5,300 from the most forward tee. We play the course around 6,600 which is rated/sloped at 73.1/138. The course has a fair amount of distance between holes and as you can see, the distance between the 9th green and the 10th tee is easily a 10 minute walk.

Including stopping for a bio break between 9's, we walk this course in about 4:05 although we've walked it in 3:45 on a weekday. The age range for our group is 40-61 and everyone walks. The handicaps for the group range from about 9 -15 so we're not what I would consider golfers with amazing ability. I've seen scores in the 100's posted as this course has some tough holes.

The point in all of this is that we expect to be done in + or -4 hours and we police ourselves as needed. If you go into a round and "prefer" to play in 4:30, you'll make it...even if the time par is significantly less.

courselayout.jpg

That's great. I am happy that you're group is able to play at a pace that suites you. But this has nothing to do with what most, or the "average" would be.

Since when are 40-60 year olds with 9-15 handicaps NOT an "average golfer?" You can't hit the demographics more perfectly than that.

Another example where one side will give examples and solutions, and the other won't acknowledge.

How many times have you said, "but everyone is different." And here is an example of "average people" that you were provided.

You just are not being intellectually genuine in how you're engaging people in these topics.

This comment makes no sense. Try again.

courselayout.jpg

Div...thanks for not calling me an old dude!

courselayout.jpg

But you referenced ability as one of the biggest gating factors in pace of play. You're a 16...we have a 15 in our group so ability is really off the table. So then what would stop you from playing at a comparable pace...and...you can take a cart. Will guarantee that 10 minute walk we have between 9's would be no more than 2 minutes in a cart. The distance between holes would also be much faster in a cart than us walking so why couldn't you play at that pace?

Also...back to your round in Scotland that you played in 3:30. Why did you play faster that round...what led to the exhaustion and out of morbid curiosity, was it the most difficult course you played and was that the course with the highest score?

Nowhere have I said that it is me that is not capable of playing a sub-four hour round.

I could go back and find the original post I wrote about my Scotland trip. But the upshot is that I went over by myself. I played two rounds at The Old Course. two rounds at Carnoustie, one round as Gulane #2 (I believe), one round at North Berwick, one round at Crail Golf Links - maybe I'm missing one. In each round I was paired with two or three others. Each round other than my second at The Old Course was in the 4:15 range and the second round at the Old Course was the one at 3:30. In each of the other rounds I my partners were pleasant and fun people who engaged each other and helped find lost balls, etc. The fast round I was paired with three younger (30's) tall, fit, good golfers. They didn't engage me. Didn't socialize, didn't help look for errant shots. I had to hit my shot, grab my bag and walk as fast as i could (practically run) as I stuffed my club back in the bag. I couldn't have my normal (reasonable pre-shot routine) as these jerks were already 90 yards in front of me. It really sucked. Nice way to ruin what should be the experience of a lifetime.

Get to ball, grab club, hit, grab bag, run to ball, repeat. Fun times.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1389385587' post='8436987']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1389385258' post='8436929']
I repeat - in no way am I slow golfer. You'll have to accept this as truth.
[/quote]

Respectfully, that's what Ben Crane said until someone started to point things out to him and help him find ways to play more on pace.
[/quote]
OK.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1389385652' post='8437001']
"Everyone is different and not everyone can play a 4 hour round."
These are not your words? They most certainly are. Again and again you have said them in all these pace of play threads. Go back and look if you have a case of amnesia.
[/quote]
Of course I have repeated that over and over. But your placing them in the comment you did made no sense. Try again.

Actually until you decide to stop simply just trolling you may as well take it to another thread.

courselayout.jpg

But you referenced ability as one of the biggest gating factors in pace of play. You're a 16...we have a 15 in our group so ability is really off the table. So then what would stop you from playing at a comparable pace...and...you can take a cart. Will guarantee that 10 minute walk we have between 9's would be no more than 2 minutes in a cart. The distance between holes would also be much faster in a cart than us walking so why couldn't you play at that pace?

Also...back to your round in Scotland that you played in 3:30. Why did you play faster that round...what led to the exhaustion and out of morbid curiosity, was it the most difficult course you played and was that the course with the highest score?

Nowhere have I said that it is me that is not capable of playing a sub-four hour round.

I could go back and find the original post I wrote about my Scotland trip. But the upshot is that I went over by myself. I played two rounds at The Old Course. two rounds at Carnoustie, one round as Gulane #2 (I believe), one round at North Berwick, one round at Crail Golf Links - maybe I'm missing one. In each round I was paired with two or three others. Each round other than my second at The Old Course was in the 4:15 range and the second round at the Old Course was the one at 3:30. In each of the other rounds I my partners were pleasant and fun people who engaged each other and helped find lost balls, etc. The fast round I was paired with three younger (30's) tall, fit, good golfers. They didn't engage me. Didn't socialize, didn't help look for errant shots. I had to hit my shot, grab my bag and walk as fast as i could (practically run) as I stuffed my club back in the bag. I couldn't have my normal (reasonable pre-shot routine) as these jerks were already 90 yards in front of me. It really sucked. Nice way to ruin what should be the experience of a lifetime.

Bring some friends whose company you enjoy on the course?? "Problem" solved.

See, the "fast play guys" this is the image you're runnin with in your head based on one anecdotal account. ONE. Get over it.

And as fast as I like to play, I've been in the same scenario. If I'm playing at 3 to 3.5 hr pace, they can wait for me 90 yards ahead. There isn't playing any faster. Note to the single in the cart behind me that wants to play through at this pace as well.

We are NOT "against you" in any way. Just suggesting that reasonable pace can be done. For someone with reasonable supposed pace, you have a LOT to say to the opposite effect. WHY??

courselayout.jpg

Bring some friends whose company you enjoy on the course?? "Problem" solved.

See, the "fast play guys" this is the image you're runnin with in your head based on one anecdotal account. ONE. Get over it.

And as fast as I like to play, I've been in the same scenario. If I'm playing at 3 to 3.5 hr pace, they can wait for me 90 yards ahead. There isn't playing any faster. Note to the single in the cart behind me that wants to play through at this pace as well.

We are NOT "against you" in any way. Just suggesting that reasonable pace can be done. For someone with reasonable supposed pace, you have a LOT to say to the opposite effect. WHY??

What an astoundingly meaningless comment.

I've moved this topic into The Cooler for now. Too much back and forth, and escalating hostility. Everyone needs to back away from the keyboard or focus on something else for awhile...

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

People that think it's futile to attempt a 3 hour round of golf on Sunday really are just not trying that hard. Like everything in life you only get out what you put in.

My group is a threesome but we bring a spotter. The spotter uses field-glasses to keep an eye on the group ahead. Should they loose a ball or fall behind for even a moment, the spotter waves down the marshal with yellow paddles. We also have the pro shop on speed dial. Why wouldn't you?

Making the turn is an opportunity that most people don't take advantage of. We bring our owns lunches and head directly to the 10th. To relieve oneself at the turn shows a horrible lack of coordination and planning. Precious seconds are always lost here by the undisciplined laggards. We often move up a group here.

Here's the true money maker. We makes certain to fire as close to the heels of the group ahead as humanly possible without actually bringing anyone into harms way. Mistakes happen of course but that is a risk that laggards bring on themselves. Everyone in my group also has a highly developed stink eye. Should anyone in the group ahead lose precious seconds by turning to check on our proximity, you can believe we are at the ready with the death stare. It's really an art more than anything. Body language is most highly effective when the following mantra is held in one's consciousness, "how dare they kill my grandmother". I sometimes believe I have telepathic abilities.

My group has been doing this for years. We really enjoy our time on the course. None of us talk about our domineering wives or how short our leashes are because we consider this our leisure time.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

It's been my experience (read: my experience, yours may be different) that those who complain the most about slow play are those lucky enough to play A LOT. Every chance I get to play I'm just glad to bet out there, if it means I have to sit on a few holes, so be it. The irony being those who complain the most seem to have the most time to devote to the game. Not saying slow play is good, just my observation. In a previous life I played 4-5 times a week and slow play drove me bonkers! Not so much now unless we're looking at 5+ hours.

It's been my experience (read: my experience, yours may be different) that those who complain the most about slow play are those lucky enough to play A LOT. Every chance I get to play I'm just glad to bet out there, if it means I have to sit on a few holes, so be it. The irony being those who complain the most seem to have the most time to devote to the game. Not saying slow play is good, just my observation. In a previous life I played 4-5 times a week and slow play drove me bonkers! Not so much now unless we're looking at 5+ hours.

[quote name='EmperorPenguin' timestamp='1389199818' post='8422327']
Slow play will always be an issue, especially when golf courses are crowded. It is absolutely futile to coerce a nation of slow players to speed up their play, so for those whiners who complain about them, give up and adopt this very simple solution: [b]always insist on booking the first starting time of the day, no matter what it takes.[/b] You will not have to worry about slow players ahead of you, nor will they have to tolerate your useless tirades because by starting at dawn patrol you will be finished so early, neither of you will see each other, so this solution would be mutually beneficial. Complaining about slow pace of play while at the same time booking a starting time at the later part of the day's tee sheet would be senseless, and those who do have themselves to blame for not booking for first off. Sure, many of us have lives and would like to have our Sunday morning pancakes with our family, or simply do not want to wake up at 0430A to play so early, but those who make other plans for the morning are in no position to complain about slow play at a crowded golf course because the opportunity to play faster--and I mean much faster--was passed. Want to have your cake and eat it, too? The only solution in that case would be to build your own golf course. Several guys have done it, but most of us lack the resources to afford that, so the only other solution would be to book the first starting time to avoid playing behind anyone who may play slowly.
[/quote]

Hey, let's all quit our jobs so we can get the first tee time of the day!!! Nice post, buddy. For your information, it's not the crowded courses that piss us off. It the guys enjoying their round at a snails pace without the least consideration of who else is on the course. it's the childish behavior when there happens to be someone who a group SHOULD let play through, but they're just not in the friggin mood. It's the club member that zips out of his garage and out to the 10th tee and proceeds to play 3 balls for his quick 9 while your round just went from 3.5 hrs to 4.5. It's the people like YOU that think all we're doing is whining when slow play has become a HUGE PROBLEM.

Think I'll have another beer.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1389487030' post='8443623']
[/quote]

I would disagree. Me and my old golf buddies only get to play once a week at best. Given the opportunity of playing 18 holes in 5 hours behind some hack jobs, or playing as many holes in 5 hours as possible, we would always choose the latter.

Golf is meant to be: hit it, find it, hit it, not:

hit it, sit down, have a beer, chug a smoke, talk about the game, watch your buddy hit his shot, drive over to ball, have a beer, pick a club, take 5 practise swings, chunk it, sit down, have a beer, watch your buddy hit his shot etc.

Sitting on my arse is something I can do at work - at the club, I want to be hitting golf balls as often as I can.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Mr divots, one thing rsj is trying to point out is that people are different in mental capacity, and that too can adversely affect their PoP. You kept asking for examples. I will provide that.

My wife has pretty over the top adult ADD. She always has multiple incomplete ongoing chores around the house because she starts another one before she finishes the present one(s). I could provide countless other manifestations of her ADD, but this one should sufice.

She has been playing 2 - 3 yrs now, and let's face it, golf is hard. Especially mentally, yes? So, trying to remember and execute the 3 or 4 or 20 swing thoughts she has been introduced to, she gets flustered, which slows her down. Now, add the 10 or 20 pace of play requirements/guidelines, and her brain almost freezes. She has been learning and getting used to all this info, and she can easily play in a fourball @ 4:15 - 4:30. But if you try to push her to play 3:30, she will just play really really badly, and will probably end up throwing a ball at your head.

There's your example.

Slow play comes in all forms. Two guys in a cart ... The guy not hitting just sits there while his partner is getting ready to play. High handicappers play the tips with a cart load of brew and no sense of urgency. Guys that watch too much TV and look at putts from 12 angles while the other 3 guys are ready to move on. We've all seen that stuff.

But one of the commonalities, IMO, is that the whole idea of pace of play is handled very passively by most courses. It might be mentioned by a starter, but generally not. Courses are competing for our dollars and they, understandably, don't want to alienate customers, but I'd love to see a course promote the idea of acceptable pace of play with pro shop signs, a more assertive 'Starter's Message' that basically let's groups know that a rover may approach them and ask them to pick it up ... Bold print message on the card, a sign in the cart, maybe even a blimp with an electronic bill board.. The point is that MANY players would absolutely appreciate a course that takes a more proactive stance. And they would come back.

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

While in the Phoenix area vacationing, I joined a 4some at Troon North Monument Course. If you want to play there, get ready to shell out big bucks, but it is a treat to play. I don't know the exact time separation between group, but I think at least 20 minutes. Our 4some never saw another golfer all day, ahead of us or behind us. Nobody complaining about our pace, nor us complaining about anybody else's pace. It was really a pleasure, but something I wasn't used to.

Booking the first tee time of the day repeatedly did not work at my home course. At 0630, I would be at Number 1 with my group, only to find out the starter had already let his buddies tee off 10-15 minutes ahead of the entire tee sheet. Being honest with myself anyway, I did not enjoy the heavy dew, the windless humidity rife with mosquito s and cigarette smoke, nor the sunrise blinding me on some holes. I now play late in the day, alone, in the heat and enjoy myself immensely . I walk and easily finish in 3 hours or less. Timing is the key to everything . I was a solitary runner for years, and found out I need solitude to think and enjoy nature.

Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7

I think equipment restriction causes slow play. I see no good reason a driver I could potentially hit 400 yards is a restrict or illegal club. What would speed up slow play? Get over the fact that the best score you could make is an 18. get it? I dont understand being afraid of a number under 72. Its just a number that nobody cares about unless they want to .... what?

[b]always insist on booking the first starting time of the day, no matter what it takes.[/b] You will not have to worry about slow players ahead of you, nor will they have to tolerate your useless tirades because by starting at dawn patrol you will be finished so early, neither of you will see each other, so this solution would be mutually beneficial.
[/quote]

Except when you catch up to the back 9 players. Happens every time I am in the first group at Rancho Park, the busiest course in the country. I love complaining about slow play at Rancho Park, I think it's funny because it's the busiest course in the country, of course it's gonna be slow.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

• 3 months later...

Slow play will always be an issue, especially when golf courses are crowded. It is absolutely futile to coerce a nation of slow players to speed up their play, so for those whiners who complain about them, give up and adopt this very simple solution: [b]always insist on booking the first starting time of the day, no matter what it takes.[/b] You will not have to worry about slow players ahead of you, nor will they have to tolerate your useless tirades because by starting at dawn patrol you will be finished so early, neither of you will see each other, so this solution would be mutually beneficial. Complaining about slow pace of play while at the same time booking a starting time at the later part of the day's tee sheet would be senseless, and those who do have themselves to blame for not booking for first off. Sure, many of us have lives and would like to have our Sunday morning pancakes with our family, or simply do not want to wake up at 0430A to play so early, but those who make other plans for the morning are in no position to complain about slow play at a crowded golf course because the opportunity to play faster--and I mean much faster--was passed. Want to have your cake and eat it, too? The only solution in that case would be to build your own golf course. Several guys have done it, but most of us lack the resources to afford that, so the only other solution would be to book the first starting time to avoid playing behind anyone who may play slowly.
[/quote]
Who asked ya?
xD

Taylormade R1 Rip Phenom 65g
Callaway X 21* /Cobra Amp Cell 17*
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw KBS tour 120
Mizuno mp-t4 55* 60*
Taylormade Ghost Manta 34"
Bridgestone B330s

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember hearing about a Country Club that has a slow pace of play policy for Member's that want Prime Tee Times. If you want Prime Tee Time(early am) you have to have a 4hr Round if you play 18 Holes any slower then 4hr's you get a written warning get three warnings you get your name on "The Wall of Shame" for all the other Member's to see and lose your Prime Tee time privilege's.........first year a few member's were put on the "Wall of Shame" next year not one member was warned or lost their Prime Tee Time Privilege's.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys and gals.....late to the party here but wanted to ask a question.....

has anyone else had the thought that pace of play has a direct connection to things like the guy who gets in the left lane on the interstate to do the exact speedlimit or below and refuses to move over into the open middle lane? Or the guy in the supermarket or wally world who always seems to park his buggy in the way , and if you try to pass him he will move up enough to stay ahead ..then stop again , still in the way. Or the guy at the used rack of irons at the golf store who will stand in one spot blocking the entire isle for ever....or at least until you go away....then he will move.... I think personally these are the same guys who are taking 5 hours to play a round....I think its a sense of "im important, I paid my fee, ill do whatever I want.... ive got nothing else going on today"......and that clashes with those of us who have busy lives and are driven personalities..... I for one don't do anything slow..and was taught at an early age to not be a burden or in the way of others..(it always enters my mind while in a public place, etc "am I in the way, cutting him or her off etc?")..so asking me to play a game slow is like asking a bird to walk and not fly...It goes against nature.... Im not talking 3 hour rounds...but waiting 10 min between each shot is ridiculous... just wondered if anyone else here has these same observations in life?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 8 months later...