Hayzooos' WITB (2016.06.04) - Matte LTD Pro is HERE

Dang it. Nothing worse than getting a notice yesterday of an incoming shipment "tomorrow" (which would be today). Woke up this morning to an email from UPS saying there's a new delivery date. Tomorrow. Sad panda. I was hoping to have the wife and kids meet me at the range right after work, but doesn't look like that'll happen now.

"Hey honey, why don't you and the girls come meet me at the range around 6:00? Oh, and if a box shows up today, might as well bring it along for kicks."

I had it all planned out....

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Club actually did come in yesterday, but I had agreed to cook dinner for wife and kids last night, so no range time by the time I got home. I should be able to get out tonight and hit the new big stick a few times, will update later.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

So I got a chance to play 18 holes with the new driver and then played a scramble on Saturday for a charity event as well. Here's the gist. I was struggling A LOT lately with my swing. Wasn't making good contact, ball was still in play, and I was figuring out a way to 'score' (quotes because I'm a 6, so let's be honest) even though things weren't quite clicking.

The course I played Friday was the course I used to work at for about four years, but that was probably a decade or more ago. So I know the course like the back of my hand, even though this is the first time I've played it since they redesigned some of it. I was hitting some good ones, mostly bad ones most of the day until around the 14th hole. I have a fairly wide stance as it is, but it must've gotten a bit more narrow lately and was leading me to sway quite a bit. That makes it tough to make good contact with the ball and to make things worse, I usually get too much 'arms' in the swing when that's the case. So I widened things out just a bit, like a few inches at most, and everything changed. I was hitting my woods and irons so much better.

I played the last few holes relatively well, and ended up with an 81 at a 72.5/140 course so it was right around my cap. Can't really complain about that. This course just held the State Open a little before, so the rough was ROUGH. Thickest I ever remember that rough being, that's for sure. Long too, so hitting fairways was more important that day than it normally is.

The next day I was absolutely MURDERING the XR setup. I mean, smoking it. Even though it was a scramble, the guys I was playing with aren't exactly guys you could rely on. Two of them are 25+ caps and the other is probably around a 12 or so, so he can hit some good ones, but he struggles off the tee. We ended up shooting 59 (-12) and had I been playing my own ball that day, I bet I would've shot 76 at worst, so I was pretty happy with it all things considering. Driving has always been my Achilles Heel, so if I can get off the tee box well, I can score pretty well. If I can't, it puts a lot of pressure on the rest of my game, and this year my irons have been saving me. I've had a few rounds with seriously 5-7 penalty strokes and will still shoot 78-80, so I manage a way to get the ball in the hole.

After all that rant, I guess what I'm saying is I'm really happy with the XR setup I have now, so many a thanks to J13 for the suggestion on the head and knudson81 for hot melting that bad boy up.

I have no wishes to change anything about my bag right now. If I were to change one thing, it would be to get new wedges. I like the SCOR wedges for just about everything, but a little more heel relief wouldn't kill me on a few shots now and then. I'm talking maybe 1-2 shots every few rounds, so it's not a big deal by any means. I feel pretty set with how things are and I'm guessing I'll continue with this same setup for the foreseeable future.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

I wish I would have had a chance to hit the finished XR after it was hot melted. But a little bit of weather and a busy weekend prevented me from getting it to the range or the course. Good to hear it is working though, such a good combo!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

hayzoos has inspired me to get my xr melted. i have lead tape on it but it's not sticking great. anyone know a good place to go?

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

[quote name='gioguy21' timestamp='1440513707' post='12205220']
hayzoos has inspired me to get my xr melted. i have lead tape on it but it's not sticking great. anyone know a good place to go?
[/quote]

I strongly suggest it! It's a GREAT head and it sounds like you really like the Black shaft you have in there now. Melt will certainly be better than lead tape. I had gobs on mine and it didn't stay on well at all.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1438889242' post='12091146']
[quote name='jcfountain33' timestamp='1438874762' post='12089590']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1438872243' post='12089326']
[quote name='jcfountain33' timestamp='1438819051' post='12086018']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1438806905' post='12084918']
So I ended up finding what I thought was a good deal on an XR head with an adapter. Just got it earlier this week. Original plan was to buy a Rome 888 and use that, but instead, I decided to take the Agera and put the Callaway tip on there instead. I should get a chance to hit the combo for the first time tomorrow at the range. Playing this weekend, but I'll have my trusty 2Deep with me as well. I'll get a weight on it (it'll play right around 44.0") and put some lead tape on it this weekend to see how it works out.

If I like it, I'll send it off to a friend on here and have him put some hot melt in it to get the weight where I want and be on my way. Not saying the 888 is out of the question, but I'm going to try what I know I already like first. If I feel like I need something heavier, I'll look into getting a Rome 888 at that point in time.
[/quote]

My Rome 888 will be here tomorrow, Rob actually recommended it over the Agera for me. Picked up an XR and put a Phenom NL 70TX in it cut down to 44.5" and it was longer and straighter than anything else I've hit, including the R15 430 w/757TS @ 45" I was testing. Can't wait to hit it with a shaft with a little more feel!
[/quote]

What are you putting the 888 into, a driver? Playing it at 44.5"? Color me interested.

What were the things that made him suggest the Rome over the Agera? That's one of the things I like about working with him...he honestly does know his stuff and he'll steer you in the right direction whether it's with his shaft or something else.
[/quote]

I'm putting it in the XR. I'm 6-5, 285#, driver S/S is around 115-120. I struggle with tempo and consistency with the driver. [b]At my size I'm expected to hit it a long way so I try to[/b]. I've really been working on my tempo and hitting everything really smooth and straight, but when I pick up driver my pride tends to take over. I usually start out swinging smoothly, then start trying to go for more. Never played a driver under 45". Rob thought the weight and length would help with consistency and tempo. Said we could do it with the Agera, but felt I would be better off with a little more weight in the Rome 888 or even an S+90.

Also thinking of picking up a S+100 and a XR 3 or 4 wood. Love my current Yonex Ezone ST 14* w/Phenom NL 80TX, but it's not great off the deck. Had an XR Pro 16* but not as forgiving as I wanted.
[/quote]

I'll admit, this did make me chuckle a little.

You should start your own WITB thread so I can keep tabs on your XR/888 driver experiment. Or just post it in here, I want to know how it turns out.
[/quote]

Haven't had time to get pics for a WITB, and know I'd get flamed on here if I did one w/o pics, lol. Wanted to give you an update on the driver.

So far the Rome 888 is not performing, for me, as well as I would like. Got it shafted up Friday before last and went straight to the course, didn't have time to hit the range. Hotmelted head to 210g (w/adapter) @ 44.5” D5. Was a shorter course but hit it on every hole possible and multiple shots. First swing felt amazing and was nutted but straight right. Had to compensate in my swing to eliminate the right and would hit a hook. Thought it was just me. The Phenom NL 70TX was a slight fade. Nothing but rain last week so no range time but went to Sim at PGA SS and saw same thing, 2 way miss, big push right or short hook. Put Phenom NL in and slight fade. Ok, maybe it's me, put Rome back in, blocks and hooks. Don't know if it was the weight or the flex? Fri was nice so back to the course. Decided to try the upright "D" setting. Tight par 4, less than 400, little downhill, only 120-130 yrds of fairway beyond hazard, takes a hammered 3 wood to carry trouble from back tees. Green is drivable when tees are up but were back Fri. Hit Phenom NL just short of front greenside bunker, dead straight, best I've ever hit from back tees. Put Rome in, blocked right into trouble. Hit another, hook into adjacent fairway. At this point the Phenom NL is better for me, no hooks, but doesn't feel as good. Have a 757TS that I'm gonna try and gonna talk to Robo about other options, maybe the Agera? On paper Rome should've been a great fit. XR head is legit, had consistently higher ballspeeds than R15 430 for me and better dispersion.

Sorry for the novel...

[quote name='jcfountain33' timestamp='1440522653' post='12206138']
Haven't had time to get pics for a WITB, and know I'd get flamed on here if I did one w/o pics, lol. Wanted to give you an update on the driver.

So far the Rome 888 is not performing, for me, as well as I would like. Got it shafted up Friday before last and went straight to the course, didn't have time to hit the range. Hotmelted head to 210g (w/adapter) @ 44.5" D5. Was a shorter course but hit it on every hole possible and multiple shots. First swing felt amazing and was nutted but straight right. Had to compensate in my swing to eliminate the right and would hit a hook. Thought it was just me. The Phenom NL 70TX was a slight fade. Nothing but rain last week so no range time but went to Sim at PGA SS and saw same thing, 2 way miss, big push right or short hook. Put Phenom NL in and slight fade. Ok, maybe it's me, put Rome back in, blocks and hooks. Don't know if it was the weight or the flex? Fri was nice so back to the course. Decided to try the upright "D" setting. Tight par 4, less than 400, little downhill, only 120-130 yrds of fairway beyond hazard, takes a hammered 3 wood to carry trouble from back tees. Green is drivable when tees are up but were back Fri. Hit Phenom NL just short of front greenside bunker, dead straight, best I've ever hit from back tees. Put Rome in, blocked right into trouble. Hit another, hook into adjacent fairway. At this point the Phenom NL is better for me, no hooks, but doesn't feel as good. Have a 757TS that I'm gonna try and gonna talk to Robo about other options, maybe the Agera? On paper Rome should've been a great fit. XR head is legit, had consistently higher ballspeeds than R15 430 for me and better dispersion.

Sorry for the novel...
[/quote]

No apologies needed, and thanks for the update. Bummer to hear the 888 isn't working out as planned. I'm loving the XR/Agera combo as of now, but I've only really played it a few times, so we'll see how it plays out over the rest of this season. I'm not changing anything the rest of the year (which is only about 2 months for me) so I should have a good chance to really see how it works.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

• 2 weeks later...

Updated only to add a few XR pics in the first post. Bag feels pretty well set now. I'm still carrying the 2Deep, but it doesn't find much play with the way I'm hitting the XR and the confidence I have in my 3 wood. If I drop it, I'm down to 13 clubs, which is fine by me.

The only thing I'm considering changing right now would be to go with a 50/54/58 wedge setup instead of the current 52/58. The only qualm I have about that is essentially re-learning the game from 125 and in, and we all know those make up about 60-70% of our shots :/

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So...the clubs I've been salivating over since I first saw them (Srixon 745s) are en route. I was hoping to get them today, but no dice, so it looks like I have to wait until Monday. They're very slightly used, coming with PX 6.0 shafts so they should be a decent set up to at least try and see if I like the heads. I can't see how they'll beat out my AP2s, but that's why we do what we do, right?

The only, only thing I don't like about the AP2s is how much they spin. I think I've mentioned this before in this thread, and I'm not 100% sure if it's the heads themselves or the shafts. I'm leaning towards the heads as I can't see how a shaft change would be that drastic.

Anyway, why in the world would I buy another set of irons probably 2 weeks before our season here is up? I have absolutely no idea, but I'm excited to get them and test 'em out! They're as stock as the day is long, so I'll have to do some minor adjustments to the lies and probably lofts to get them to match what I'm playing now. Lies for sure, we'll have to see about the lofts.

One other thing I'm thinking about trying out is ribbed grips....

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

• 3 weeks later...

So I've had some extra time as of late (left one job, don't start the next one for a little bit yet) and I've filled it with playing golf and prepping a house to sell. More of the former if we're honest here though. The Srixon 745s I have are shafted with PX Flighted 6.0 shafts. I've taken them out for a handful of rounds and I'm liking them...a LOT. They're way more forgiving than I thought they were going to be. I took the i701-Tours I have out the other day just to see, and I was appalled at how much distance loss I had on a few shots. It made me appreciate the forgiveness of the AP2s I have and made me a little hesitant to actually get the 745s. However, thanks to another member on here (J13) he let me know the 745s would be just fine.

He was right. I've played a handful of rounds with them and I've had some pretty good scores for me (it's been nice they've been out of season or I bet my cap would be 3-4) and my driving has been awful until today. Think I may have figured something out that's been giving me issues for the past few months. I've been shooting decent scores, but my tee game has been atrocious costing me 3-5 shots every single round. It was getting frustrating.

Anyway, I've made the decision to keep the 745s. I'm going to have a buddy pull the Modus 120s out of the AP2s and put them into the 745s and I'll end up selling the AP2s as head only as I doubt many would be interested with Flighted PX shafts in them. That won't be done until the snow flies here though, I'm hoping I can sneak a few more rounds in yet this year. This is our bonus time!!

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Hayzoos the 745's are $$$ and so far they are racking up wins on tour this year. The grind is brilliant and the feel is baby soft :)

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• 3 months later...

Okay, so a bit of an update. Some know I was one of the lucky guys to participate in the 2016 Gear Trials. There's a huge thread on it already, so I won't rehash things here, but I am going to be getting the club that fit me best there...Cobra KING LTD Pro with an Xphlexxx Agera shaft. It was nice to realize the shaft I brought with me was the one that fit me best out of all the different shafts I hit.

Not only that, but the 745s are in the bag, the AP2 heads are gone, so I gotta update the pictures in the OP of this as well.

I'm hoping on the phone tonight (hopefully) to put the driver order through. I'm going to build everything from scratch instead of trying to use the shaft I already have, as the fitter said I could use something a little stiffer. I wish when I first got the shaft I left a little room for tipping, but I didn't, my mistake.

Here are the two options I'm gunning for:

DTdu20F.png

I'm REALLY hoping I can score one of the ones on the right, but they're prototypes for someone who's a WAY better golfer than I am, and I know ROBOPTI only has a handful of them in stock, so I'm sure they're all going to be entirely too stiff for me. The nice thing about getting a shaft from OPTI is he'll let you pick exactly what you want. Flex (specific CPM) and weight. They're all made pretty close to the same specs regarding weight, but variances do exist obviously, so he'll hand pick what we think will work best. The shaft on the left is what I'll more than likely end up with and it's a blood red color which OPTI says actually looks better in person than the one on the right. He's never led me in the wrong direction before, so I'm going to take his word on this as well.

Even if I don't get a hold of him tonight, I won't be playing for a while considering where I am, so I'm in no hurry but excited nonetheless.

I've been mulling the idea of getting a new 3 wood, but only because WRX. I love my 3 wood, so I have no reason to actually change it. I know how far it goes, I know the flight, it just works. I'm also probably going to get new wedges this year as well, I'm leaning towards the MD3 52 and 58PM grind, both in matte black. More than likely they'll have Modus 120 shafts in them as well.

So 2016 will be a new driver, new irons, and maybe some new wedges, perhaps a 3 wood, but I doubt it. Hybrid will be staying for sure, putter will be staying too. I got a SS Pistol GT 2.0 putter grip at Gear Trials as well, so I might put that on the MXM #1W I was using before the Ketch for kicks as I don't want to mess with the Ketch right now. Doubt it'll supplant the Ketch, but you never know.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Okay, so a bit of an update. Some know I was one of the lucky guys to participate in the 2016 Gear Trials. There's a huge thread on it already, so I won't rehash things here, but I am going to be getting the club that fit me best there...Cobra KING LTD Pro with an Xphlexxx Agera shaft. It was nice to realize the shaft I brought with me was the one that fit me best out of all the different shafts I hit.

Not only that, but the 745s are in the bag, the AP2 heads are gone, so I gotta update the pictures in the OP of this as well.

I'm hoping on the phone tonight (hopefully) to put the driver order through. I'm going to build everything from scratch instead of trying to use the shaft I already have, as the fitter said I could use something a little stiffer. I wish when I first got the shaft I left a little room for tipping, but I didn't, my mistake.

Here are the two options I'm gunning for:

DTdu20F.png

I'm REALLY hoping I can score one of the ones on the right, but they're prototypes for someone who's a WAY better golfer than I am, and I know ROBOPTI only has a handful of them in stock, so I'm sure they're all going to be entirely too stiff for me. The nice thing about getting a shaft from OPTI is he'll let you pick exactly what you want. Flex (specific CPM) and weight. They're all made pretty close to the same specs regarding weight, but variances do exist obviously, so he'll hand pick what we think will work best. The shaft on the left is what I'll more than likely end up with and it's a blood red color which OPTI says actually looks better in person than the one on the right. He's never led me in the wrong direction before, so I'm going to take his word on this as well.

Even if I don't get a hold of him tonight, I won't be playing for a while considering where I am, so I'm in no hurry but excited nonetheless.

I've been mulling the idea of getting a new 3 wood, but only because WRX. I love my 3 wood, so I have no reason to actually change it. I know how far it goes, I know the flight, it just works. I'm also probably going to get new wedges this year as well, I'm leaning towards the MD3 52 and 58PM grind, both in matte black. More than likely they'll have Modus 120 shafts in them as well.

So 2016 will be a new driver, new irons, and maybe some new wedges, perhaps a 3 wood, but I doubt it. Hybrid will be staying for sure, putter will be staying too. I got a SS Pistol GT 2.0 putter grip at Gear Trials as well, so I might put that on the MXM #1W I was using before the Ketch for kicks as I don't want to mess with the Ketch right now. Doubt it'll supplant the Ketch, but you never know.

Srixons are amazing end of discussion :) But Robopti is correct. The blood red Ageras on the left are unreal looking and better then the Proto's for some tour guys. Trust me the red is AWESOME.

Edel PROTO

Good stuff, nice meeting you the other weekend!

Pleasure meeting you too. If I ever see you on course, I'm not playing you for money even if you spot me 8-10 shots. A swing like that can only produce good, consistent scores!! You're the kind of guy that would seemingly par (with the occasional birdie) people to death. No one is going to be beating you making pars, they'd have to make a truckload of birdies me thinks.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

I love the headcover

Huge win this past weekend vs maryland

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Good stuff, nice meeting you the other weekend!

Pleasure meeting you too. If I ever see you on course, I'm not playing you for money even if you spot me 8-10 shots. A swing like that can only produce good, consistent scores!! You're the kind of guy that would seemingly par (with the occasional birdie) people to death. No one is going to be beating you making pars, they'd have to make a truckload of birdies me thinks.

I block tee shots 30 yards right into yards way more often than you think, your just trying to be nice!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I love the headcover

Huge win this past weekend vs maryland

HECK YES IT WAS!!!! I don't watch too much basketball, but that was a game I was actually able to catch, and I'm glad I did. Big, big win.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Do you feel like the SCOR's dig a lot compared to other wedges? I have them and they've been wayyy to diggy for me. Also the heads feel too light. I would get rid but I LOVE the shape, and no other offerings really come close, everything has gotten too big or funky shaped. Also they're black ox so they look even cooler

Do you feel like the SCOR's dig a lot compared to other wedges? I have them and they've been wayyy to diggy for me. Also the heads feel too light. I would get rid but I LOVE the shape, and no other offerings really come close, everything has gotten too big or funky shaped. Also they're black ox so they look even cooler

Black Ox in SCOR wedges would look pretty stellar. I don't find them to dig too much, but I don't take huge divots to begin with. I'm a pretty shallow divot guy with all my irons, wedges included. Part of the sole design is supposed to not allow them to dig, so I'm surprised that's an issue as I've heard many people who've tried them say the thing the like best about them is the fact they don't dig.

Can't say I know about the head weights, I had someone build them for me at D4 and never asked how much weight he had to add to get them there. I know what you mean about the shape, I came from MD2s before, and these seemed so TINY I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to hit them or not. But, as weird as it sounds, they're incredibly forgiving. I've hit some shots off towards the toe (like a lot towards the toe) and they've still ended up in really good shape given the hit. Other wedges I have no doubt I would've come up short of the green and these are damn near pin high.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Black Ox in SCOR wedges would look pretty stellar. I don't find them to dig too much, but I don't take huge divots to begin with. I'm a pretty shallow divot guy with all my irons, wedges included. Part of the sole design is supposed to not allow them to dig, so I'm surprised that's an issue as I've heard many people who've tried them say the thing the like best about them is the fact they don't dig.

Can't say I know about the head weights, I had someone build them for me at D4 and never asked how much weight he had to add to get them there. I know what you mean about the shape, I came from MD2s before, and these seemed so TINY I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to hit them or not. But, as weird as it sounds, they're incredibly forgiving. I've hit some shots off towards the toe (like a lot towards the toe) and they've still ended up in really good shape given the hit. Other wedges I have no doubt I would've come up short of the green and these are damn near pin high.

The concern isn't on full shots, as I usually strike ball first. But on pitches and chips I like to use the bounce sometimes that means striking a little behind the ball, which is a good technique with other wedges, but with these they just result in flubs. I've actually done some reading online and have found this to be the main complaint of them.

Been contemplating to see if it's possible to combine the trailing edge grind with the leading edge, giving it more bounce. It seems doable but depending on who I talk to, they say it can or can't be done

• 3 months later...

Long time coming, but here's a few potato quality pictures on the upcoming toy:

N3hkRQ8.jpg

5J0pOmN.jpg

Better pics to come once I have it in hand (arriving Friday).

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

LOL, turn up the lights! I know, not your pics. Glad this is finally coming through.

I know, right?! Believe me, I'm glad it's coming through as well. Long time in the mix, but I think I'm going to be REALLY happy with it when it gets here. And I got an extra couple toys to go along with it too (shafts, not other clubs).

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

LOL, turn up the lights! I know, not your pics. Glad this is finally coming through.

I know, right?! Believe me, I'm glad it's coming through as well. Long time in the mix, but I think I'm going to be REALLY happy with it when it gets here. And I got an extra couple toys to go along with it too (shafts, not other clubs).

I'm impressed Hayzoos can't wait to hear how this goes.

Edel PROTO