Hot weather rain gear - on a budget

I live in Florida where it's miserably humid most of the time and were always getting rain in 90+ degree weather. So I'm looking for a rain suit that's a bit better than the current one I have (basic $25 Frogg Toggs which is sticky and hard to get on and off) - something that breathes maybe. the Frogg Toggs are at least 100% waterproof, not nylon that repels but still soaks up moisture and has no Dry Joy at all.

Around or under $150 max for the top and bottom would be nice, certainly not going to buy the $400-600 ones out there - I'll probably buy mens just so it's not too small over clothes (and I'm quite tall). I'm not averse to buying separate pants/shorts and jacket.

The problem shopping online is, I can't tell for sure but it seems many rain jackets etc. are made for cold weather too. So any hot weather soaking wet golfers please do share! :-)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can get really good rain gear hat/jacket/pants for under $150.
I bought all my Zero Restriction rain gear at good sale prices and still have about $250 invested.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

Check budgetgolf.com. They seem to have to best sale prices on waterproof gear.

I'd go with a short sleeve rain 3/4 zip and a good umbrella. Hard to find cheap breathable rain pants, and if it just a passing squall, it might not be worth putting the pants on anyway.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

You live in Florida and want decent breathable rain gear for a cheap price. That's not realistic. I can tell you from personal experience that your best option is rain gear made from eVent material. It is just as rainproof as Goretex but is much more breathable. I have both eVent and Goretex suits from Sunice and only wear the eVent in warm weather - much more comfortable. Sunice markets this under the Flexvent name. Shop online (Amazon, TGW, etc) and you can get some good deals.

Thanks for the replies everyone! After reviewing recommendations and searching forums and shops I've settled on trying out The North Face Venture rain gear. I actually got my hands on a jacket and it looks perfect. Super light weight, HyVent breathable/vented, 100% waterproof, hood, velcro cuffs, lifetime guarantee and the pants are 1/2 zip for easy on and off. They are $100 jacket and $80 pants, but I've found them for 30% off :-)

[quote name='golfingal' timestamp='1437740391' post='12011316']
Thanks for the replies everyone! After reviewing recommendations and searching forums and shops I've settled on trying out The North Face Venture rain gear. I actually got my hands on a jacket and it looks perfect. Super light weight, HyVent breathable/vented, 100% waterproof, hood, velcro cuffs, lifetime guarantee and the pants are 1/2 zip for easy on and off. They are $100 jacket and $80 pants, but I've found them for 30% off :-)
[/quote]

Good deal. The HyVent is probably made from the eVent material which is great. You'll stay dry and be comfortable in the Florida heat.

[quote name='golfingal' timestamp='1437740391' post='12011316']
[/quote]

I own those pants, and multiple TNF HyVent jackets. They will keep you dry and they do breathe fairly well for full WP. I am thin and wanted something more fitted for golf, but again, you will stay dry.

It's hard to go wrong with TNF as long as you buy the right thing.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I would suggest you try out proquipgolfusa.com

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1437754534' post='12012730']
I would suggest you try out proquipgolfusa.com
[/quote]

I was going to say the same thing. I have a HyVent jacket for casual wear, but playing golf with a hood would drive me nuts. Also, the cut is a little tight for golf.

I bought a ProQuip Aquastorm Pro jacket and pants this year, and I've been pleased with it so far. My old FootJoy lightweight was waterproof, but didn't breath.

The ProQuip isn't quite Gore-tex breathable, but it's close, and it's less than half the price. The jacket is currently selling for $85 on Amazon. The jacket runs a size small, so order a bigger size.

[indent=1][url="http://www.amazon.com/PROQUIP-Aquastorm-Waterproof-Jacket-Bright/dp/B00B5BBJJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437766098&sr=8-2&keywords=proquip"]http://www.amazon.com/PROQUIP-Aquastorm-Waterproof-Jacket-Bright/dp/B00B5BBJJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437766098&sr=8-2&keywords=proquip[/url][/indent]

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Sierra Trading Post seemed to have some good deals too, on limited inventory - they also have a nice waterproof guide -

[url="http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/waterproof-guide/?utm_source=Guides&utm_medium=Catalog&utm_campaign=waterproof-guide"]http://www.sierratra...aterproof-guide[/url]

I don't mind a hood in fact with long hair it's nice to have - certainly in between shots - besides it might even help you keep your head down if you hit with it on! :-) You can always roll it up or tuck it in if you don't like it.

I also had found a used/like new Gore-Tex rain jacket with YKK zippers on [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gore-Tex-Sierra-Country-Mans-Large-Lightweight-Jacket-with-Hood-Nice-Jacket-/252015554276?nma=true&si=DKj%252B1HhL0MgghtjsaoeLYPL6Ft8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]Ebay for $20[/url] and bought it on a whim. It arrived today and I'm thrilled with it. The material is much lighter than I expected - if thing keeps water out it's going to be a total winner! I'll still get the THF HyVent pants, but maybe won't need the jacket now - though I might get it anyway just to have the full set.

I imagine you'll get a lot of use from your new gear, given the typical afternoon showers you get all summer in Florida. Having breathable, light rain gear is a must. My old gear would cause me to sweat so much that I would have been dryer had I simply played in the rain.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Bump for more suggestions. Played in a monsoon today in FL while super hot out. Trying to decide on a budget jacket that is light and will keep you as cool as possible. So far it looks like the sunice flex vent. Greg norman epic and proquip are the best options.

I keep the 'Sunice Mens X20-CT Webster Short Sleeve Half-Zip Pullover' in my bag. Lightweight and breathable, it's good for the occasional passing sprinkle or light shower.

$_12.JPG?rt=nc

[quote name='Artvandalay22' timestamp='1437789238' post='12015746']
Bump for more suggestions. Played in a monsoon today in FL while super hot out. Trying to decide on a budget jacket that is light and will keep you as cool as possible. So far it looks like the sunice flex vent. Greg norman epic and proquip are the best options.
[/quote]

I'd stay away from pull overs in heat as there is no way to zip down and release air from inside them.

Due to FL heat I've been searching far and wide for waterproof/Gortex SHORTS, but they are few and far between. Convertible pants (zip off legs) are offered by The Westher company, but no idea what Waterproofness rating or Breathability rating. I think anything less than around 10,000mm for these specs is useless. As it is I'll be buying rain pants - recommendation when searching - the 1/2 zip up the ankle is a must for getting on quickly over golf shoes, as Florida storms are often very sudden. That, and watch out for NO liners. This was one my main concerns was "ski" clothes types of liners, adding extra insulation/heat.

I may just wait for a cheap pair of Gore-Text shell pants on Ebay and then cut them off and hem them as bermuda shorts to supplement the pants.

I've worn a Patagonia Torrentshell down here in South Florida. It held up fine to the rain, just didn't have enough stretch to really be playable. We carried Sunice at my old course and it's great stuff. Even the cheaper products are durable and breathable. But I do agree, for the money the Flex Vent material is fantastic.

TM BRNR Mini 11.5* - Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70s

Titleist TSi2 18* - AD DI 85s

Miura CB-1006 5/7/9 - DG S400

Mizuno T22 Raw 52.09 - DG S400

TM MG Hi-Toe Raw 58.10 - DG S400

Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball F7

[quote name='golfingal' timestamp='1437917703' post='12021480']
[quote name='Artvandalay22' timestamp='1437789238' post='12015746']
[/quote]

I'd stay away from pull overs in heat as there is no way to zip down and release air from inside them.

Due to FL heat I've been searching far and wide for waterproof/Gortex SHORTS, but they are few and far between. Convertible pants (zip off legs) are offered by The Westher company, but no idea what Waterproofness rating or Breathability rating. I think anything less than around 10,000mm for these specs is useless. As it is I'll be buying rain pants - recommendation when searching - the 1/2 zip up the ankle is a must for getting on quickly over golf shoes, as Florida storms are often very sudden. That, and watch out for NO liners. This was one my main concerns was "ski" clothes types of liners, adding extra insulation/heat.

I may just wait for a cheap pair of Gore-Text shell pants on Ebay and then cut them off and hem them as bermuda shorts to supplement the pants.
[/quote]

Take a look at the Gore-tex running shorts:

[indent=1][url="http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Gore_Mens_Air_GT_AS_Shorts/descpage-GMAGTAS.html"]http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Gore_Mens_Air_GT_AS_Shorts/descpage-GMAGTAS.html[/url][/indent]

[quote name='Artvandalay22' timestamp='1437961539' post='12024882']
That galway bay one looks pretty nice but they have limited sizes.

Checked around for the greg norman epic but can't find anywhere that sells it
[/quote]

But you also have the ability to have them tailored to custom sizes for a reasonable price.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

I ended up buying* the North Face Venture HyVent 2.5 pants yesterday and put them into action today, playing in a Florida State tournament that had a heavy downpour and high winds right in the middle. They were 100% dry - easily pulled up over my shoes and shorts. My only complaint would be they ride down in back when you sit down in the cart so water can get in at the top of the pants in back if you forget to hike them back up. Very dry though, and plenty flexible for golf. The are a longish length which I found helped protect my shoes and socks as well. I didn't buy the jacket but might go back and get one as well, though the GoreTex jacket I got on EBay also seemed to work great.

*1/3 off @ Peter Glenn Sports

[quote name='golfingal' timestamp='1438118626' post='12037048']
I ended up buying* the North Face Venture HyVent 2.5 pants yesterday and put them into action today, playing in a Florida State tournament that had a heavy downpour and high winds right in the middle. They were 100% dry - easily pulled up over my shoes and shorts. My only complaint would be they ride down in back when you sit down in the cart so water can get in at the top of the pants in back if you forget to hike them back up. Very dry though, and plenty flexible for golf. The are a longish length which I found helped protect my shoes and socks as well. I didn't buy the jacket but might go back and get one as well, though the GoreTex jacket I got on EBay also seemed to work great.

*1/3 off @ Peter Glenn Sports
[/quote]

I have the HyVent jacket, as well as their Gore-tex Dryzzle jacket. The HyVent has a mesh lining, so it feels a bit bulkier. The Dryzzle is a single layer, and isn't uber expensive for a Gore-tex product.

Anybody tried the Nike Hyperadapt rain pants? Need to get a new pair of rain pants for a golf trip to MI in October and wondered if it was worth paying the extra amount for the Hyperadapt or if I should just go with the basic Storm-Fit's.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

I just wear a gore-tex hat in that situation.

If it is 90+ degrees and it starts raining hard enough to care:[list]
[*]There is a damn good chance of lightning and I'm getting inside
[*]It feels wonderful because it is hot as hell out
[*]the most annoying part is having a water soaked hat/hair/head dripping water off your face, thus the waterproof hat
[*]Nothing is that breathable and waterproof. I'd rather be wet from rain than wet from sweat (this may depend on how sweaty a person you are)
[/list]

My personal setup is a clicgear with an umbrella attached. Keeps me in the shade and dry between shots. I don't bring a rainsuit unless it is going to be below 70ish.

These folks have good prices. I have gotten both long sleeve and short sleeve rain shirts from them as well as rain pants and rain shorts.
[url="http://www.nbgsd.com"]www.nbgsd.com[/url]

I know most rain gear is really not all that cool and breathable otherwise, it just would not be very waterproof. In hot weather, I use the ZeroRestriction GoreTex short sleeve pullover. I wear a large but I bought it in XL. Hence, not restrictive at all and a bit more "breathing" room.
Living in SE Texas where we have heat and humidity similar to Florida, I understand playing in hot rain gear. I refuse to wear any golf clothing that has cotton in it. Just too hot and if it rains and you put rain gear over it...geez, you die in the sweltering heat.

[quote name='dplasters' timestamp='1438182488' post='12041158']
I just wear a gore-tex hat in that situation.

If it is 90+ degrees and it starts raining hard enough to care:[list]
[*]There is a damn good chance of lightning and I'm getting inside
[*]It feels wonderful because it is hot as hell out
[*]the most annoying part is having a water soaked hat/hair/head dripping water off your face, thus the waterproof hat
[*]Nothing is that breathable and waterproof. I'd rather be wet from rain than wet from sweat (this may depend on how sweaty a person you are)
[/list]

My personal setup is a clicgear with a
n umbrella attached.
Keeps me in the shade and dry between shots. I don't bring a rainsuit unless it is going to be below 70ish.

[/quote]

I concur. No matter how 'breathable' your jacket is , if it's hot and humid you will be wet inside your jacket. That's why I just go with a synthetic fiber shirt and an umbrella. I don't mind if my legs get wet