Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

1110111112113114116»

Comments

• dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,336 ✭✭

I shall molest balls with the Miuras this year.

WITB 4/30/19
    • TM M1 440 9.5° HZRDUS yeller settings all whacked out
    • FW shopping   (TM M1 3HL stock KK is here but having off the deck issues with it)
    • Adams CB3 4-G KBS Tour 90 molested in a thread here somewheres  (baby blades ready for when my swing catches up)
    • Wedges TBD rockin a OG Snake Eyes EV 56° until then 
    • PING Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,735 ✭✭

Wow, this place is rolling! Good to see all the Confessioners coming out of the wood work.

A few confessions.....

First, the lesson. So, a well acclaimed teacher moved back to our region and started an academy, he's using Flightscope with the motion sensing vest, belt, and glove dongle, as well as some other tech stuff. So, I gladly paid the $150 for the full assessment. He had a few interesting things to say about my move, putting, short game. Mostly the full swing stuff was a few changes at address, wider stance, taller upper thoracic spine, and a little less shoulder and hip rotation. That stuff has been paying off in spades. The putting and short game was a little more of a mixed bag, but I probably won't integrate a ton of it into what I'm doing anyways.

Second, I've been in the middle of some major life changes (career, relationship, etc.) so some new stuff coming down the pipe. Really working on staying positive and looking at opportunity, not living in the past. Some of you may have seen the Weight Lost post over here in the 19th hole. I'm down nearly 15 pounds in a month, really clean diet, and nearly no alcohol, so I'm a little like Koepka, let's say, "my swing feels foreign" - of course without all the major trophies or really hot wife, or checking account with tons of zeros worked into a number with significant digits. Feeling great, and excited about the future!

Third, I finally made it over to the coast with a blade 3 iron (from my TM tour preferred set) and a bunch of crappy golf balls. I've been fixated with this experiment to practice like young Seve, walking the beach and pounding golf balls at targets. It was a blast and I look forward to doing it more in the future.

Hope all of you are enjoying the end of this beautiful spring and hope that the PacNW confessioners will have a get up sometime soon!

• HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,824 ✭✭

Matt, the pro shop at our club just got a hardly-used set of 919 Tours, unfortunately Koepka's biceps weren't included in the deal so I didn't buy them.

I have a confession. The past three rounds I've been hitting fairways like a scratch golfer and hitting greens like a low single digit player but putting like a beginner. I simply can't make short putts at the moment, missing left and right, too much break, not enough break. Shooting high 80s with 40+ putts ain't fun.

I have a gut feeling keeping the flagstick in the hole has played its part. My friends are happy to leave it in and I've tried to learn and get accustomed to it but I still have a tendency to aim for the sides. Also the time saved by not needing to have the stick attended or removed is time away from reading the green and making a couple of practice strokes while waiting for others to putt. My friends play faster on the greens now and as an adaptive person, I also end up playing faster on the greens, possibly to my own detriment.

So, how do you fix those putting issues in WRX style? By ordering a new driver, of course!

My friend bought a TM last autumn (the one with a Y-shaped track for weights), the more penetrating flight and the roll he's getting is intriguing. I found a very good deal on ST180s, which is supposed to be very low spin but also very forgiving, and oh so Mizuno blue. The Tensei CK Orange 50 on it is a bit of a question mark though. I do like counterbalanced shafts but at 57 grams it might be a bit on the light side.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • mdgboxxmdgboxx Put lipstick on a pig - - - it's still a pig Members Posts: 5,233 ✭✭

DeNinny, I feel the same way. Not motivated since the overhaul. I miss the old "My content" that would open to all the discussions I had participated in. Today, I have to go through Florida to get to Oregon. And I'm north of the 49th.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
    3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
    5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
    IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2,
    Red Dot
    PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
    WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts

BALL: Srixon XV
    CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
    BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
    BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Putting woes can be tough @Halebopp.

My best advice is to take a putting mirror and a chalk line to the practice green. Find a straight 6 foot putt. Stand on a towel so you don't damage the green. Try and roll the ball end over end straight down the chalk meanwhile check your ball and eye position every 4 or 5 putts. Eventually we usually stumble into something that works. Create some visual landmarks to take that to the course.

edited Jun 5, 2019 11:03pm #3458

Mass golf purge today. I literally have an entire room in my house devoted to the game, mostly to hold all the clubs.

Have been in convo as of late with The First Tee of Washington and some other local associations. I donated a ton of equipment to that today. Felt good. All stuff that, although good quality, just has no real dollar value at the usual suspect sales places.

I took some better more sought after equipment to a one stop shop—a retired teaching pro who uses the proceeds to not only feed his own collector addiction but also to provide meals to the less fortunate in my local area. Something about knowing the profits made from the sale of my “surplus” equipment going to help feed kids who otherwise this summer break have no real options for a decent breakfast makes me happy. I’ll gladly take cents on the dollar for that kind of cause. I’ve been blessed to always have a warm safe place to sleep and money in the bank to buy what I need and some people never get that opportunity. When I can help, I try my best to do so.

So I sold nearly all of it. My second ever set of PING Eye2s. My first and only set of becu Eye2s. All my Pirettis. All my Taylormade All my Mizuno Every. Single. One. All my 33s. My 59s. My 32s. My 14s. My wedges. My putters. My bags. All my Mizzy stuff from the days when a fat drunk logger could get it for free is all gone.

What did I keep?

-my electric blue PING L8 bag. It has holes in it. It has pulled seams. It has stains. It’s heavy. It tangles clubs. It’s electric blue. And it’s mine. GTFO 1992 FTW
    -my Mackenzie Walker Peter Jacobsen bag. Yep. I’m a pretentious hipster but she’s all Johnny Cash black and comes with a subtle embroidery of Silverleaf Club where I’ll never be able to afford to eat lunch much less join but for a brief moment in time I managed to finagle me a bag so choke on that 1%.
    -my Jones Original waxed canvas. It looks like a cross between a grandpa bag and an Indiana Jones golf bag and the starter at Chambers Bay calls it the cool bag so that’s good enough street cred for me.
    -everything in my sig line minus the wedges. Sniff sniff bye bye Mizzy, we sure had fun together. :(
    -my first real cool big boy putter. Anser bronze with a sound slot. #OG
    -my 1981 ‘Pat Pend’ PING Anser 2. The Alpha to my Jim wells Proto Omega. Another club going in my coffin I sunk too many putts back in the day to ever let it go.
    -Kia Ma Proto Imola. Sigh. Just dead ****.
    -Cameron ‘tour’ Squareback. My first and only tour Cameron, that was earned, not bought. The copper tungsten weights would make cool earlobe gauges should I ever fall off the wagon.
    -Orlimar Trimetal 18° with TT EI-70 shaft. What is old is new again.
    -Callaway S2H2 driver and 1-dot 3W. #memories
    -Louisville Smart persimmon. #loveit
    -Wood Bros Texan. #duh
    -Wood Bros All American. #”America. uck Fya”
    -my Snake Eyes irons and wedges. MB-1 “Smith & Wesson Forged”. Anyone who pays attn to my low end verbal ranting knows how much I owe to EV for outfitting me with my first ever “custom” fitted setup. I’ll probably keep them forever and regardless of Tom Wishon saying the Smith & Wesson forging dies stunk and the QC was all over the place, and DeNinny trashing the fact they do have some built in [s]forgiveness[/s] offset, I hit them great. Well, let’s be honest they go left currently. Ya ya Ninja shush shush....lmao
    -My single length MP-33s from The Iron Factory. I don’t count these in my Mizzy stash as Jim @ TIF did so much work to them they’re more custom than Mizuno. They work too which is sure nice for what they cost. :(
    And last but certainly not least...

-Miura Baby Blades. I mean, you think I’m dumb or what? They ain’t goin anywhere’s.

Yippyippyippdddipsipyipp that’s all folks

Post edited by dan360 on
    WITB 4/30/19
    • FW shopping   (TM M1 3HL stock KK is here but having off the deck issues with it)
    • Adams CB3 4-G KBS Tour 90 molested in a thread here somewheres  (baby blades ready for when my swing catches up)

@Matt J That's definitely something I need to do before Friday and our first round greensomes match. Actually I haven't had a single practice session yet after the season started. It's actually a bit irritating to go play bad golf because of not practicing but the weather hasn't been really inspiring me to go work on my game.

@dan360 It hurts me to read you got rid of all of those classic Mizunos. But it seems like you did it for a very good cause!

ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link

Mr bopp don’t be sad. Now they have a real shot at coming off the bench and making an impact in another golfer’s adventure. As an aside a stack of money is more versatile and much easier to store.

I may pare down even more as I go along. The Kia Ma and the Cameron, and the Wood Bros, all have collectors who appreciate them for that. For me they are sweet old clubs that bring back some good memories but I doubt I will ever use them again.

WITB 4/30/19
    edited Jun 5, 2019 8:44pm #3461

Dan, I'm probably not far behind you...

You had a lot more cool stuff than me but reading down the list I think my logic would have been pretty similar. For instance I purged my Zing 2's which were my first "real set" and had a 2 iron. I loved that 2 iron off the tee, too. Thought about keeping it but it felt selfish as it's so hard to find a matching 2 iron.

I'd guess I'm going to give a bunch of sets of shafts away and keep the heads of some sets in a box in case I ever send them back to be re-chromed.

No putters will be left behind, though. That's just not civil.

Next time we chat I gotta know how you "earn" a Scotty. Sounds like a good story.

@dan360 No worries. I sold my W/S FG Tour V2s and bought a set of MP-53s in very good condition today. I had the 54s for about a year before I moved to the 4s and I always regretted selling the 54s (like I regret selling my 32s).But I guess it's a good rule not to have more than two sets of irons at any point to avoid situations like yours. :)

The 53s should be even better than the 54s so maybe I came out ahead. They definitely look good and it'll be interesting to see how the Modus 120 shafts work for me. The only minus is they're quarter of an inch shorter so I might need to add extensions

WITB Link

@Matt J said:
    Dan, I'm probably not far behind you...

You had a lot more cool stuff than me but reading down the list I think my logic would have been pretty similar. For instance I purged my Zing 2's which were my first "real set" and had a 2 iron. I loved that 2 iron off the tee, too. Thought about keeping it but it felt selfish as it's so hard to find a matching 2 iron.

I'd guess I'm going to give a bunch of sets of shafts away and keep the heads of some sets in a box in case I ever send them back to be re-chromed.

No putters will be left behind, though. That's just not civil.

Next time we chat I gotta know how you "earn" a Scotty. Sounds like a good story.

Giving up my MP-33 2 iron was difficult. But hopefully I will add a baby blade one here soon that will help me forget about her.

WITB 4/30/19

@Halebopp said:
    @dan360 No worries. I sold my W/S FG Tour V2s and bought a set of MP-53s in very good condition today. I had the 54s for about a year before I moved to the 4s and I always regretted selling the 54s (like I regret selling my 32s).But I guess it's a good rule not to have more than two sets of irons at any point to avoid situations like yours. :)

The 53s should be even better than the 54s so maybe I came out ahead. They definitely look good and it'll be interesting to see how the Modus 120 shafts work for me. The only minus is they're quarter of an inch shorter so I might need to add extensions

I started out with the best of intentions and it got away from me. The original plan was to get new, sell old. Life, the old adage time flies, nostalgia, and pack rat tendencies make trying to have strong will quite the handicap match.

I finally had enough and pushed myself to do it. I slept grrrrrrrrrrreat last night.

WITB 4/30/19
  • DeNinnyDeNinny Major Wiener Members Posts: 7,976 ✭✭

dan360 if you get rid of those Baby Blades I'm gonna unfriend you. I have my limits and that would be crossing a line.

I keed, I keed.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
    TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
    Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
    34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
    Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I got the ST180 yesterday, I wasn't overly impressed wit it at the range yesterday. The feel was terrible in comparison to my MP-650 and the ball flight didn't seem all that different, maybe slightly lower spin but not much in there.

Today we had our first round match in handicapped greensomes club championships. The driver started to feel better at the range while warming up, especially after I set it to 8.5º but I wasn't comfortable leaving the 650 out of the bag. So I dropped my 4 iron and played with two drivers in the bag for the first and probably the last time in a tournament. The 650 wasn't needed though.

The blue bomber showed its true colours on the course. I can easily say it was good 25 yards longer than the 650 with the same slight fade. The dries were reaching places I had reached with the 650 on very good shots in previous years but this year I hadn't even got close to such numbers. We lost the match 3&1 but I'm just excited to go out there again, this time playing my own approach shots. :) Greensomes is definitely a weird format, especially when we were continuing with my drives. I mostly played shots from the teeing areas and around the greens. Naturally I blew the couple of approach shots I did hit as I most definitely wasn't tuned in. :D

WITB Link

@DeNinny said:
    dan360 if you get rid of those Baby Blades I'm gonna unfriend you. I have my limits and that would be crossing a line.

I keed, I keed.

I'd sell a kidney first.

WITB 4/30/19

I've been in quite the transition and golf has certainly taken a back seat. The Ex and I finally got our divorce finalized which was a long time going and has been a good thing for both of us. We're amicable and working together to both get to better places in our lives, so onward and upward. But, I've been moving and adjusting to single life and it has been hot. Summer has become my least favorite golf season in the lower PacNW. I did make it over to play Old Macdonald last Friday. Still my favorite of the Bandon courses. We played with a solid prevailing North wind and hacked it about. I did challenge the client to a match on the last 7 as I was getting frustrated with feeling like I was slapping it around. Won a nice meal in the pub afterwards. Hope I didn't jeopardize the deal by being all competitive, but golf is golf. I don't go out there and pay 400 bones to slap it around like a hack and couldn't figure any other way to get the train on the tracks. I finished solid with a hard fought par on number 15, Westward Ho! Blew up on 16, and then par on 17 and 18 to at least feel like I was playing golf. At times the front nine just felt like a windy slog. Hope the Confessioners are hanging tight and enjoying the long days!

edited Jun 20, 2019 11:03pm #3469

Work work work is the MO for me currently. Fire restoration in northern CA long hours. Hopefully it will work out financially so this winter I can travel to dry places and play some golf!

Matt. Sorry to hear about the big D but it sounds like you’re better off for it. Now you can get that Defender 90 LHD.....

WITB 4/30/19

Matt, good luck with your future endeavours!

I finally redid my whole putting method, stance, stroke, slight adjustment to grip - back to holding the club a bit more upright. And it worked, at least today. Despite not playing well, I did get a decent score with 31 putts including two three putts on ridiculous hole locations. No need for a new Evnroll, yay! I did order the TM Hi-Toe today. Too bad the pro shop was told it would take three weeks until TM would get the burgundy grips, so plain ol' black tour velvet it is. I did order it half an inch longer as I demoed a +1" PM Grind and I didn't even realize it was +1, setting up with it felt natural. I'll also extend my 50º and 55º wedges. I don't use the wedges for full-swing shots anyway and a bit heavier swing weight won't hurt with feel in partial shots, pitches etc.

It might also be useful to add a bit of length to my MP-4s. I have serious doubts I'd want the long irons any longer though. Maybe extend the 7 or 8 iron by a quarter of an inch and the shorter ones by half an inch.

WITB Link