2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

A new creation from Bastain Milled. The future of putter making in the works.

Back story…

A few months ago I was contacted by a friend to test out one of his new putters. Now if you have been a member of Golfwrx for a while, you have certainly heard the name Bastain Milled. Kyle is a machinist by day and a crazy good putter maker by night. He has done many different modifications from milling a face to refinishing a whole putter. What most do not know though, is that he makes putters. He takes a block of steel and mills it to a specific shape that in the end turns out to be a beautiful creation.

I was referred to Bastain Milled by a fellow Wrx’r for some work I wanted to have done on my putter at the time. Kyle was more than happy to accommodate my wishes. I had the putter back within 2 weeks of shipping it out. The work was perfect. We had conversed a few times after that, and one time I said that I would love to test out a putter if he ever wanted someone's opinion.

Out of the blue, I received a text from Kyle asking if I would like to test out a putter. I immediately said yes, no question, I was in. Immediately after my reply my phone rang. The voice on the other end was Kyle. There was extreme excitement in his voice. He started telling me about this new method called “fusion-key” technology. It had been in the works for a while and a prototype was developed, 5 to be exact. 5 putters put together with cold fusion. Literally frozen together. the neck/key are stainless steel and the body is Carbon. Two different metals fused together to make one putter.

A little over a week after speaking to Kyle regarding the putter I got home to a box. The sight that all golfers are excited to see, the box that you know contains a golf club. I immediately opened the box and wow, there it was, the putter we had talked and text’d about constantly for a week. It was beautiful.

Now to the review… and pictures!

First off the putter is heavier than most use. It is 370 grams in the Newport head style paired with a standard True Temper putter shaft. The grip I have on thru this whole process is an Iomic Absolute X putter grip. The head is a wide body Newport head, same comparable size as an Odyssey 1W. There are no sight millings on the putters, they are naked, which for me, it is the look that I prefer. Deep milled face, with the Bastain B on the face of the stainless steel key. The finish is blackened. it is a very clean putter. Now once these putters are out in production, they will be fully customizable, not just face milling, but finish and sight lines as well. I immediately start to roll putts with it. However heavy, it is balanced. It doesn’t feel like a brick on the end of a shaft it feels like it almost putts itself. The sound from the putter is a softer sound. It is the typical “muted/softer” sound you get from carbon steel but amplified differently. I look at the head and it is beached. There is a slot like the old Ping putters. This amazes me even more. The old beached Pings, well… ping. This has it’s own sound, something different, something new, something nice. A soft click is maybe the best way to describe it.

The traditional shape of the putter, not only keeps it familiar, but it easies your setup. The smooth precise lines of the putter square it up and make it that it almost aims itself and all that you have to do is start the motion. There is immediate comfort with the size of the head matched to the golf ball. You get a sense of confidence when you put the putter on the ball. You don’t feel like you have to overpower the strike of the ball as with a smaller bladed putter. In turn, you don’t feel like you have to hit it so soft because the putter head is too big. It allows you to make a confident deliberate putting stroke.

Kyle wanted me to keep the putter for a while. He wanted to see my feelings over a period of time, not just the honeymoon period. He wanted me to spec if out for myself. Adjusted to my length(34.65), lie, shaft preference (UST FF shaft), and grip preference (I kept the same Iomic) and really use the putter. I even scotch brite'd the head a little to remove some of the black and take it to a darkened raw look. What i have learned prior to this, is that with every new club, there is that confident, new, wow feel. The more mistakes made, the more that feel goes away. With putters, that can happen quickly, as we all know. It has been a few months with the putter. Some putts made, some tournaments won, some putts missed and some matches lost. The “wow” feel however has not been lost. The feel is there every time I pull the putter out of my bag. The confidence to make every putt is still there, whether they go in or not. There is just something about the look of the putter that builds confidence in putting. This is a putter that once you start playing with it becomes “home”.

Since the start of this process with the fusion key method, a company named Element Golf has partnered with Bastain Milled to continue development. They are still in the developmental stage and the technology is being perfected. The putter I tested for this review is the best putter I have ever used. I am excited to see what the use of this new process develops in to. The use of the fusion key for putters, in my eyes, will be as big if not bigger than the adjustable driver.

I hope this write up is enjoyed by all. Scroll down to enjoy the pictures of the different fusion key putter I tested out. Visit bastainmilled.com to learn more on the process and to view the entire 2016 gallery…

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one cool putter!

Wonder if they're planning a flowneck version of the "fusion key" for those of us that don't like plumbers necks...

I'm sure there are different necks, lengths, etc. in the mix.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Nice review and interesting putter. Thanks for the review and posting, I will keep an eye on this one.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

How is that machined hosel attached to the head? Is the putter with the American flag a different head?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

That's pretty awesome.

I always thought things needed a ring of caulk around theings to make it look like it fits?? :lol:

You lost me.... if you are referring to the white on the neck, it is actually frozen

How is that machined hosel attached to the head? Is the putter with the American flag a different head?

The hosel is attached to the head using an in development fusion process. It takes place by super freezing and pressure.

It is the same head with the flag. I like adding golfdotz to my stuff to personalize them. I have a golfdotz flag on every club. I previously had shamrocks, but now the flag.

That's pretty awesome.

I always thought things needed a ring of caulk around theings to make it look like it fits?? :lol:

You lost me.... if you are referring to the white on the neck, it is actually frozen

I am referring to other companie(s) that couldn't remotely get the kind of interference fit, so they use caulk to fill the low machining tolerances...

That's pretty awesome.

I am referring to other companie(s) that couldn't remotely get the kind of interference fit, so they use caulk to fill the low machining tolerances...

Sorry, I understand now. Each one of these putters are put together by hand, by one person. there are machines used for this process, but it is a hands on approach.

There is a different quality and a more exact science when it is hands on. Much like Lajosi, Lamont, Slighter, etc. in the sense that his hands are on every putter he makes, not just his name.

Great looking putter !!

I looked at these on the website but couldn't find any pricing ...

What would the base price price be for one of these putters ?

Thanks

The putters are still in the R&D phase. There will be more to come in 2017.

This is kind of just a sneak peak

Looking at the pics what they appear to be doing is cooling the hosel and possibly heating the head just prior to installation. The hosel contracts and the head expands under the temperature differential and go together with a slight interference fit. Once they both return to ambient temp they expand/contract back and the fit tightens. I work in aerospace and this is a fairly common way to install bearings, sleeves, and bushings. Done properly it works. We did a contract for a piece of arresting gear that's used in the launch and recovery system on aircraft carriers and used this method to install a 6" diameter bushing in a 4' diameter sheave (pulley). If it will retain a bushing used in that application it will certainly hold a putter together.

[u][b]WITB[/b][/u]

Callaway XR16 10.5
Callaway XR16 4W
Callaway XR16 7W
Callaway XR OS 4H
Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW
Callaway MD3 50S, 54S, 58S
SC Newport 3
Callaway Supersoft

Looking at the pics what they appear to be doing is cooling the hosel and possibly heating the head just prior to installation. The hosel contracts and the head expands under the temperature differential and go together with a slight interference fit. Once they both return to ambient temp they expand/contract back and the fit tightens. I work in aerospace and this is a fairly common way to install bearings, sleeves, and bushings. Done properly it works. We did a contract for a piece of arresting gear that's used in the launch and recovery system on aircraft carriers and used this method to install a 6" diameter bushing in a 4' diameter sheave (pulley). If it will retain a bushing used in that application it will certainly hold a putter together.

Thanks for the expanded explanation. you said it better than I could. you are aerospace, I'm medical.

That's pretty awesome.

Sorry, I understand now. Each one of these putters are put together by hand, by one person. there are machines used for this process, but it is a hands on approach.

There is a different quality and a more exact science when it is hands on. Much like Lajosi in the sense that his hands are on every putter he makes, not just his name.

Totally agree. That's why I prefer some of the custom milled putter options to the big name out there. The ability to hit the precision tolerances (Lajosi flush inserts, this neck system) are what makes them great!

I rarely comment in putter threads, but that putter is too fine looking to just pass by without throwing a wolf whistle at it......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Thanks for the expanded explanation. you said it better than I could. you are aerospace, I'm medical.

Glad I could make use of some of the more or less useless information I've picked up over the last 30 years....

[u][b]WITB[/b][/u]

Callaway XR16 10.5
Callaway XR16 4W
Callaway XR16 7W
Callaway XR OS 4H
Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW
Callaway MD3 50S, 54S, 58S
SC Newport 3
Callaway Supersoft

This will be my next putter. He even returns emails in a timely manner!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I totally agree, the quality of products and service are first class in my book. This is what this country is missing! I have come to know Kyle over the past 3 years and he is totally committed to quality. I game one of his 1st putters he made. The look, feel and playability is outstanding. He takes the time to listen to feedback and is truly interested in your concerns and will not blow you off. Great Great products and even better guy. I highly recommend reaching out to him for your next putter.

I totally agree, the quality of products and service are first class in my book. This is what this country is missing! I have come to know Kyle over the past 3 years and he is totally committed to quality. I game one of his 1st putters he made. The look, feel and playability is outstanding. He takes the time to listen to feedback and is truly interested in your concerns and will not blow you off. Great Great products and even better guy. I highly recommend reaching out to him for your next putter.

Well said!

think it'd be possible to get this in a long neck version? if so, take my money.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

There are many "processes" in development. The processes are touching on different neck and hosel options. They are being developed first for fitting tools, secondary would be for customization if applicable. What is in process for fitting is trying to develop a fitting head that will accommodate EVERY different option. There is a science to the art. The science is in continuous development so that it is as precise as can be. Hosel type, lie angles, head styles, lengths all to come, all in process! Stay tuned to this thread and the Bastain Milled website for updates. Keep asking questions. Unbelievable ideas come from the basic questions.

• 1 month later...

Bumping my own thread because I love this thing the more and more I putt with it.

The square hole in the head is made by a process known a broaching. Then the neck is soaked in liquid nitrogen to shrink it. A very novel approach to attach the hosel. One piece putters with the hosel milled wastes a ton of material and greatly slows down production. This method is far superior in terms of efficiency for manufacturing.

Looks like a super cool (no pun intended) putter. The part about "Newport head" made me throw up a little in my mouth though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"