Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

Comments

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,718 ✭✭
    krtgolfing wrote:

Had my second round with the T-sight line black (slant neck) today. I wasn't sure about the T line at first... It really works well though!

Did the T-Sight line black come with a red head cover or black? As you can see from the link below the original black with no sight line looks to show the red cover. They have last years model with the black sole plate instead of the red.

https://www.tgw.com/taylormade-spider-tour-black-w-t-sightline-putter

https://www.tgw.com/taylormade-spider-tour-black-putter

Not sure about t-line, but original black came with black cover
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist SM6 52.08F, 58.08M
    TaylorMade TP Soto

• krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,042 ✭✭
    brew4eagle wrote:

krtgolfing wrote:

Had my second round with the T-sight line black (slant neck) today. I wasn't sure about the T line at first... It really works well though!

Did the T-Sight line black come with a red head cover or black? As you can see from the link below the original black with no sight line looks to show the red cover. They have last years model with the black sole plate instead of the red.

https://www.tgw.com/...ightline-putter

https://www.tgw.com/...ur-black-putter

Not sure about t-line, but original black came with black cover

That would make the most sense, but they are showing a red head cover for the black. Must be a screw up.
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
  • RitocopRitocop Members Posts: 119
    RRH wrote:

Ordered some red touch up paint from GPI on eBay. Has good reviews on there so I'm interested to see how it works out. I have a little chip right on the topline of the putter that bugs me a little bit. Didn't bug me that I shot 32 putts today though. I left a lot out there as well. I feel very confident with this beautiful matte red bingo.

how did it work?
    Callaway Rogue SZ
    Callaway Rogue 3&5
    Apex Pro 4-PW PX LZ
    Callaway MD4 50/54/58
    Ping Anser 2
    Chrome Soft
  • RRHRRH Members Posts: 308 ✭✭
    Ritocop wrote:
    RRH wrote:

Ordered some red touch up paint from GPI on eBay. Has good reviews on there so I'm interested to see how it works out. I have a little chip right on the topline of the putter that bugs me a little bit. Didn't bug me that I shot 32 putts today though. I left a lot out there as well. I feel very confident with this beautiful matte red bingo.

how did it work?

Actually pretty well. The first time I did it I went way too heavy but I just used a nail polish remover and got it all off. Then I went back and made sure there was barely any paint on the little brush and it came out really well. I recommend it and the paint match is pretty **** good.

The seller is GPI touch up paint. The color is under Jason Day red spider. The paint will last an extremely long time and I probably have enough to paint the whole putter twice if I needed to lol.
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 996 ✭✭
    The paint coming off is the only reason why I've not bought this putter but so intrigued by the toe hang mallet!
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
    Golfjack wrote:

The paint coming off is the only reason why I've not bought this putter but so intrigued by the toe hang mallet!

I'm thinking of getting one and from what I've red the black version is fine. It's the red paint that chips easily.
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    TaylorMade TP Soto

• jeromekjeromek Members Posts: 57 ✭✭
    eebomb wrote:

jeromek wrote:

duffputter wrote:

Has anyone had the paint around insert chip off? On my tour red the black paint around the insert is chipping off on the bottom.

Mine did this too. Did you ever get this resolved?
    the question is does anyone have a jd red where the black on the insert didn't flake off?

I'm thinking about taking some black touch up paint from my car, and filling it in. It's actually a black painted border around the insert, that is flaking, I believe. Mine is only flaked off underneath the insert.
    Driver Callaway Razr Hawk Driver 9.5 neutral, i-mix, Motore Speeder VC 7.1
    Rocketballs xcon 5 stiff
    Titleist 718 TMB 2 iron
    Bridgestone j36 combo, px 6.0 4-pw
    Vokey SM6 50f12
    Vokey SM5 54m10
    Mizuno R 58
    Ping Anser 2 TR 1966 33"
  • mn723mn723 Members Posts: 409 ✭✭
    I've been waiting a while to post in this thread, but figure I now have enough rounds in with my Spider to contribute. I picked up last year's version of the red JD slant neck model back in mid-June 2018. I've probably played 20 rounds with it and am very impressed. My putting has never been this consistently good over 20 rounds and I've been playing golf for 25 years, mostly as a low single digit handicap. I'm the guy who purchases 2-3 high end putters per year and maybe sells 1-2 of them off each year. Thus, I have a decent sized collection ranging from Bettinardi, Piretti, Cameron, Odyssey, TaylorMade, Rife and so on.

I believe the "honeymoon" period is over and my Spider is still rolling. At first, I thought the insert on the red model would be too soft based on what i read in this thread, but loved the way the red framed the ball so I went for it. I threw an Iomic grip on, which I believe makes the insert feel a bit firmer compared to the feel with the stock grips TM uses. The roll is so pure and the ball stays on line. It is very forgiving as my poor strokes still tend to at least scare the hole.

Have played in a few high $ and high pressure tournaments this summer with my Spider. Have yipped at least 2 or 3 very important short putts and the ball still went into the hole. My guess is that these putts would have been missed if I was using an anser or other similar style "blade" putter from my collection.... but that is just a guess!!!

If you can get over the unusual look and the paint chipping issues (yes, mine has a few minor paint chips around the insert) I highly recommend you give the Spider a chance.

I'm thinking of getting a back up JD model and a DJ model to have in my arsenal.
    Ping G400 Max driver
    Ping G 5 and 7 woods
    Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-GW irons
    Cobra King 56* & 60* wedges
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade Tour Preferred X ball
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,028 ClubWRX
    brew4eagle wrote:

Golfjack wrote:

I'm thinking of getting one and from what I've red the black version is fine. It's the red paint that chips easily.

They all chip just by looking at them wrong. Happened way back with the original white Spider and the Ghost Spider S models from 2013, and continues with these. Even my limited edition ones that were hand built in the TM putter lab chip. No way around it.

But that doesn't change the fact that these are the best putters ever made. No need to worry about the paint. Buy one and make some putts.
    TaylorMade M3 9.5, GD Tour AD GP-6s, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M3 T3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 996 ✭✭
    jll62 wrote:
    brew4eagle wrote:

Golfjack wrote:

They all chip just by looking at them wrong. Happened way back with the original white Spider and the Ghost Spider S models from 2013, and continues with these. Even my limited edition ones that were hand built in the TM putter lab chip. No way around it.

But that doesn't change the fact that these are the best putters ever made. No need to worry about the paint. Buy one and make some putts.
    After stopping trying to do straight back and straight through, I've been using a anser style putter which is fine but not as forgiving as a mallet and I didn't really understand how great this design is until recently. Silly me. You guys are right paint chips be damned that should not be the reason holding me back!
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • jas904jas904 Members Posts: 1,374 ✭✭
    Does anyone know of any options to repair the stock head over once the Velcro wears out? It seems that this is fairly common. In the meantime I’ve switched to another headcover, but would prefer to use the stock.
    TaylorMade M4 8.5, HZRDUS Yellow 65
    TaylorMade M3 15, HZRDUS Black 75
    Callaway XR Pro 20, Project X LZ
    Srixon Z765 4-PW, Steelfiber 110
    Titleist SM6 50F Steelfiber 110, SM7 56S Steelfiber 110, SM7 60D Steelfiber 110
    Ping Ketsch Armlock
  • mjbaker80mjbaker80 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭
    Honestly, I’d bring it to a tailor...if they’re good they can do it and it’d be like $10!
  • jdang307jdang307 Members Posts: 169 ✭✭
    So I had issues with my black spider tour putter with sight line. It came with the big superstroke grip. Bought a Copper Juno, same grip, same issues!

Switched out the grip to some cheapo (I'll switch it again) thinner grip that is still flat at the top. And I've never putted better. Wow. My hands are small, and that big pistol grip just never felt right and I could never get a comfy grip on it.
  • daveltbdaveltb Members Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Have had my DJ Black since they were released in March. No paint chips playing 38 rounds with it YTD.
  • RH82RH82 Members Posts: 1,999 ✭✭
    I’ve had the red and black and the black definitely seems better for paint issues.
    Cobra King KTD Pro (9.5*)
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*/23*)
    Srixon Z785 (5-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Toulon Madison
    Looking at getting the latest black slant neck with the red sole plate. Any comments on durability of insert? Read about sand, etc. causing dents in the insert/grooves.
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    TaylorMade TP Soto

• taylormade113taylormade113 Members Posts: 894 ✭✭
    Just had my first round with my DJ tour Spider. Success.

In the last year I have not played as much golf as normal and this was the first outing in 2 months. Lately, my putting has been a weak part of my game and has not allowed me to take advantage of opportunities that I have created. Very frustrating.

Today was different. I was amazed at the trust I had in the lines I was seeing, and my stroke followed suit. I also holed or scared the hole on putts inside 15'. Putts inside 5' seemed automatic. This reminds me of how I used to putt. For some reason, this set up works for my stroke. I do not feel effort to start the stroke going back and the slight toe hang works for me in a mallet set up.

Being on the course again played in to the joy of the experience, but my putting was something I stopped thinking about. I did not walk away with any frustration of "what could/what should have been". I feel I am very honest with myself and have never been one to say "if I only made those 40's the day would have been different". This is not realistic and stupid to be frustrated by. My frustration would always come from feeling solid from tee to green and putting myself in to that 10'-15' window and never feeling like I never had a chance. My scores were still solid but they seemingly were always on the high end of the potential of the round and that is where it gets frustrating.

I am genuinely excited about putting now.

Concerning the feel or sound, this is so subjective. I know that when I hit it out of the middle it has a very muted nice sound, and when I tend to creep out to the to it does have a different sound and feel. For me this is great! I love feedback.

I will keep you informed of the progress and also how the putter is wearing. I bought it used and from someone that plays a fairly decent amount and the paint was still perfect.

Thanks,

Kris
  • jurnazajurnaza Santa Clarita, CAClubWRX Posts: 18 ✭✭
    daveltb wrote:

Have had my DJ Black since they were released in March. No paint chips playing 38 rounds with it YTD.

I have two original Tour Blacks with no issues at all.... picked up a Tour Red recently straight from Taylormade and paint came chipped around the insert and with dust/imperfections under the paint on the crown of the putter.
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9.0° TENSEI CK Pro White 60g TX D7 44.5" Tipped 1.0"
    Driving Iron: TaylorMade P790 UDI 17° TENSEI CK Pro White 100g TX D4.5 40.5" Tipped 0.5"
    Irons: TaylorMade P760 3-9 Project X 125g 6.5 D3
    Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 46°, 50°, 54°, 58° Project X 125g 6.5 D3, D3, D4.5, D5.5
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour Black, BGT Stability Shaft SuperStroke, Flatso 3.0, 375g + 50g Counter Weight, 32"
    Ball: TaylorMade 2019 TP5x

taylormadegif
  • arbitragearbitrage Members Posts: 857 ✭✭
    I've had a DJ Black #7 since May. 43 rounds and no chips.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero - 12.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5 Wood: Callaway Epic Subzero- 17 Deg - [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] GD Tour AD MT - &S[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hybrid: Callaway Epic - 20 & 23 deg - Recoil 780 F5
    Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 - 6i-SW - Recoil 110 F4
    Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
    Ball: Taylormade TP-x
    Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font]
  • eebombeebomb Members Posts: 544 ✭✭
    arbitrage wrote:

I've had a DJ Black #7 since May. 43 rounds and no chips.
    black paint doesn't flake its the red
  • philly2kukphilly2kuk Members Posts: 628 ✭✭
    I had the 2017 tour red and the paint fell off just looking at it. I’m now considering going back to one of these putters. Are the new 2018 versions still terrible for paint durability on the red?
    Taylormade M3 with Evenflow Blue
    Ping G 17.5° with Tour 80
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
    Ping G25 4-UW
    Vokey SM7 56/14 and 60/10
    Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback
    Titleist Pro V1x

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,773 ✭✭
    I wanted the black because of the paint chipping issue and because I think it looks better.

But I bought the red because it feels better to me, and I felt like I was consistently finding the middle.

First time out on Sunday and had 31 putts. That’s good for me. Anything close to 30 and I’m happy.

More importantly I felt comfortable over the ball and shot my best score in months. 3 birdies in total and only one 3 jack.

Hopeful the paint is not an issue for me
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5
    edited Feb 7, 2019 5:00pm #1734
    So I went to a work convention in Orlando and had a round of golf for our outing. I ended up getting a set of rental TM's with a red spider tour L neck putter that was chipped as all **** but man did I putt well with it. Didn't really like the slant neck and never gave the plumbers neck a serious look but I have to say it really set up well for me and I'm seriously debating on picking one up. Great putter.
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*/23*)
    Srixon Z785 (5-PW)
    Toulon Madison
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 624 ✭✭
    RH82 wrote:

So I went to a work convention in Orlando and had a round of golf for our outing. I Ended up getting a set of rental TM's with a red spider tour L neck putter that was chipped as all **** but man did I putt well with it. Didn't really like the slant neck and never gave the plumbers neck a serious look but I have to say it really set up well for me and I'm seriously debating on picking one up. Great putter.

I am glad more people are liking this style of Spider Tour....I was fit into one on 01/24 and played my first round with it on 02/03 and only had 28 putts....best results I have had in a while.
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ 120
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*/60* 
    Taylormade Spider X Navy 
    TaylorMade TP5
    WITB
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,593 ✭✭
    RH82 wrote:

So I went to a work convention in Orlando and had a round of golf for our outing. I ended up getting a set of rental TM's with a red spider tour L neck putter that was chipped as all **** but man did I putt well with it. Didn't really like the slant neck and never gave the plumbers neck a serious look but I have to say it really set up well for me and I'm seriously debating on picking one up. Great putter.

If I'm not mistaken TM verbiage for plumber's neck is "L Neck". I believe those 2 are the same.

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
    nsxguy wrote:
    RH82 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken TM verbiage for plumber's neck is "L Neck". I believe those 2 are the same.
    Yes they are.
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*/23*)
    Srixon Z785 (5-PW)
    Toulon Madison
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 624 ✭✭
    RH82 wrote:

nsxguy wrote:
    RH82 wrote:

Yes they are.

Did you end up buying an "L" neck Spider Tour?
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ 120
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*/60* 
    Taylormade Spider X Navy 
    TaylorMade TP5
    WITB
    RH82 wrote:

nsxguy wrote:
    RH82 wrote:

Yes they are.

Did you end up buying an "L" neck Spider Tour?
    Not yet but I’m leaning towards the silver version. There pretty cheap in new condition right now.
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*/23*)
    Srixon Z785 (5-PW)
    Toulon Madison
  • Sh00terMcgavinSh00terMcgavin Members Posts: 294 ✭✭
    Has anyone converted their DJ or JD spider to an armlock successfully ??

Curious as trends on tour are leaning towards armlock and seems like the spider head is a great candidate for it.

I know they used to have a daddy long legs with a long shaft but for some reason, that head doesn't setup well for me.
    Ping G400 Accra TZ6 M5
    TEE EX10 Beta but searching
    Callaway Apex UT 21*
    Mizuno MP5
    Vokey
    Spider

Tp5x

Has anyone converted their DJ or JD spider to an armlock successfully ??

Curious as trends on tour are leaning towards armlock and seems like the spider head is a great candidate for it.

I know they used to have a daddy long legs with a long shaft but for some reason, that head doesn't setup well for me.

As low lofted as the Spiders are not sure how that would work
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    TaylorMade TP Soto