Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the last DJ version in the store Friday night. Took it to the putting green Saturday morning to test it out. It gets the ball rolling immediately and the feel is great. Distance control is wonderful. It swings so smooth and balanced it almost swings itself! Only one bad thing about it for me. Sits way too open at address. I had to manipulate it too much to square it up. If I didn't square it up, all my putts were missing right. If I over compensated, I was pulling them and missing left. I don't need anymore inconsistencies than I already have. I was pretty bummed out when I went to return it today because I felt it had a chance to be a real special putter. When I got to the store they had received a new shipment of the spiders. 15 black, 15 red. I searched through 11 different black putters before I found one that was square. The others all sat open to various degrees. Swapped putters out and headed back to the course.

If you have any interest in this putter, take the time to find one that sets up square if you can. It's night and day difference. I didn't need to manipulate the face square, no more pushing or pulling putts. Just consistently dropping 6-10 footers. It was a 3 to 1 ratio between made putts. I made 3 putts with the square one to every 1 made with the putter that sat open.

I have no idea why some sit open or square but its definitely worth the effort to try and find one that isn't open.

Β 

I played with my DJ today. Felt heavy but really liked it. Made a few bombs ?

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Bought the last DJ version in the store Friday night. Took it to the putting green Saturday morning to test it out. It gets the ball rolling immediately and the feel is great. Distance control is wonderful. It swings so smooth and balanced it almost swings itself! Only one bad thing about it for me. Sits way too open at address. I had to manipulate it too much to square it up. If I didn't square it up, all my putts were missing right. If I over compensated, I was pulling them and missing left. I don't need anymore inconsistencies than I already have. I was pretty bummed out when I went to return it today because I felt it had a chance to be a real special putter. When I got to the store they had received a new shipment of the spiders. 15 black, 15 red. I searched through 11 different black putters before I found one that was square. The others all sat open to various degrees. Swapped putters out and headed back to the course.

If you have any interest in this putter, take the time to find one that sets up square if you can. It's night and day difference. I didn't need to manipulate the face square, no more pushing or pulling putts. Just consistently dropping 6-10 footers. It was a 3 to 1 ratio between made putts. I made 3 putts with the square one to every 1 made with the putter that sat open.

I have no idea why some sit open or square but its definitely worth the effort to try and find one that isn't open.

Β 

Wow thats pretty interesting. Fingers crossed mine shows up square.

This one looks square to me.

Β 

TaylorMade%20Itsy%20Bitsy%20Tour%20Putter_zpskfvtmmul.jpg

are you able to get a close up pic of the paint finish? I've seen some that look cheesy and some that have the nice Sandy black paint

Β 

All the ones I've seen in person have that nice sandy black paint, almost reminiscent of the SLDR finish but jet black.

Β 

Sorry it was a very quick pic just to show it was square. It looks just like them all, a nice matte black.

Β 

TaylorMade%20Spider%20new_zpstzrbpdkb.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Β 

Β 

Β 

To the people saying the face sits open. It's not the putter, it's you. I had the Spider Tour Red, just got the Spider Tour Black and game the original Spider S. They all sit square to me.

TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5*
TaylorMade 2017 M1 15*
TaylorMade M2 Tour 3
TaylorMade PSI Tour 4-PW
TaylorMade EF 54 & 58 ATV
Putter

To the people saying the face sits open. It's not the putter, it's you. I had the Spider Tour Red, just got the Spider Tour Black and game the original Spider S. They all sit square to me.

haha,, you would think,, or even hope, but look at some of these replies,, me included. I have seen in my pro shop 3 of these putters, 2 DJ,1 JD. both DJ's wanna sit open, the JD sits square. I am just trying each side by side, no pressure I am putting on the grip when I sit them down. the 2 just wanna open up!! the other just sits square.

it's not me!! others on here have noticed the same thing. some have tried to explain that it's the way TM designs these putters. I don't agree. I say it's TM QC. I was fortunate enough to buy one and it sits pretty square.

not nearly the tendancy to wanna pull open when I sit it down.

if anything, I have it my head that the reason is TM QC, so I am happy with mine, but if I did have no other choice but the 2 in my pro shop that wanna sit that open, I WOULD NOT BUY IT!!

This one looks square to me.

Β 

TaylorMade%20Itsy%20Bitsy%20Tour%20Putter_zpskfvtmmul.jpg

are you able to get a close up pic of the paint finish? I've seen some that look cheesy and some that have the nice Sandy black paint

Β 

All the ones I've seen in person have that nice sandy black paint, almost reminiscent of the SLDR finish but jet black.

Β 

Sorry it was a very quick pic just to show it was square. It looks just like them all, a nice matte black.

Β 

TaylorMade%20Spider%20new_zpstzrbpdkb.jpg

thanks!

I have the black DJ and it actually looks a little closed. I got mine direct from TM. On carpet this thing is money. Changing the grip and cutting down to 33.

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

I got a 34'' DJ model on Friday direct from TM. I opened it up on Sunday to head to the putting green and there is a small, but noticeable chip on the top line. I called TM customer service today and they were great and are sending me a new one which should arrive by March 16th. The only bad news is that the 34'' model is back ordered until July so I had to go with a 35'' model which is in stock. I'm ok with the 35'' as I'm always between 34 and 35'' and I'll probably regrip it anyway and could cut an inch off if I need to.

Β 

As for the putter sitting open, mine definitely sits open at least 10*. I could live with it as you square it with your hand anyway and I don't really rest the putter on the ground anyway. I have an older TM Monza corza putter that sits square and the TM spider red limited with the double bend shaft and it sits square.

If I get the black I would love to throw a 104cc snsr grip on it. Hope it does not mess up the weight of it to much

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60txΒ 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70txΒ 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90xΒ 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125txΒ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI OnyxΒ 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grindΒ 
Tri-hot double wideΒ 

I put the 104cc Snsr on my Spider Tour Red and added 4g weights instead of the stock 2g and it feel great.

Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X 45.25"
Callaway Paradym 15* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Srixon ZX7Β 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM9 50*08* F / 54*12*D/ 58*12*D
LAB DF3 34*/69*Β 

To all those that are wondering what the heck we are talking about, I went to Golf galaxy today. They had 3 JDay's and 1 DJ.

All the JDays rolled open big time. Strangely enough, the DJ did, but far less. I have a DJ and mine rolls open worse than the one in the store today. So very weird. Here's a Video I shot of "the roll open"....

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCigrkRv6z8

Β 

Β 

To all those that are wondering what the heck we are talking about, I went to Golf galaxy today. They had 3 JDay's and 1 DJ.

All the JDays rolled open big time. Strangely enough, the DJ did, but far less. I have a DJ and mine rolls open worse than the one in the store today. So very weird. Here's a Video I shot of "the roll open"....

Β 

Β 

Why would this matter? You make the stroke with it in your hand, not sitting on the ground. As soon as you grip it is square.

Β 

Maybe I am missing something

Tri-hot double wideΒ 

Β 

Β 

Why would this matter? You make the stroke with it in your hand, not sitting on the ground. As soon as you grip it is square.

Β 

Β 

yes you are.. i don't know about you, but i think most of us on here that are complaining is because if this putter has the tendency to open, that is the last thing i want in my head that i have to make sure it's square!!the video that guy made is exactly what I've been seeing with some of these putters.

also,, what else are you missing? the fact that why do some sit square and others wanna open. that is weird,,

lastly, i'll ask you, if you were gonna buy one of these, and in the store there was one that sit square and the other did what the putter in that video does.. which one would you pick?? exactly!!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Yes. You are. Many people like to rest the putter completely on the ground with no grip pressure at all to line it up, then grip it just before the stroke. I'm one of those people.

Β 

That's why so many people are having an issue with these and why this thread is constantly having posts about whether they set up open or not.

I think I kind of agree, you are holding the putter when you stroke it. I guess I am speaking from personal experience, I have a center shafted spider and it definitely slides open if you drop it like in that video.

Β 

If I didn't like it I would just not buy the putter or learn to live with it. If there are some that slide open and others that don't I do see people complaining; I had to order mine but I am used to it so it won't bother me if, when I get it, it slides open a little.

Has anyone had the paint around insert chip off? On my tour red the black paint around the insert is chipping off on the bottom.

Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X 45.25"
Callaway Paradym 15* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Srixon ZX7Β 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM9 50*08* F / 54*12*D/ 58*12*D
LAB DF3 34*/69*Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

yes you are.. i don't know about you, but i think most of us on here that are complaining is because if this putter has the tendency to open, that is the last thing i want in my head that i have to make sure it's square!!the video that guy made is exactly what I've been seeing with some of these putters.

also,, what else are you missing? the fact that why do some sit square and others wanna open. that is weird,,

lastly, i'll ask you, if you were gonna buy one of these, and in the store there was one that sit square and the other did what the putter in that video does.. which one would you pick?? exactly!!

Β 

I guess it doesn't make any sense to me because I am holding onto the putter during my stroke not letting it fly open when I let go of it.

Β 

It is in my hand there for it should not open. Unless it is a flaw in your stroke that makes the putter head fly open

Β 

Β 

Tri-hot double wideΒ 

Well. I made a video of mine but it won't upload. On tile it doesn't move unless I move open. So I guess mine is fine?

~2024 Bag~

TitleistΒ TSR2Β 10Β Degree

Titleist TSR2Β 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2Β Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100sΒ 4-W Β Blackout

Titleist SM9Β 50.12F,56.12D,60.08MΒ Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5Β 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

I received my Tour Black earlier today... almost everything is fantastic out of the box (I am not one to flame on them as my current bag is almost entirely TM besides putter and wedges...)

Β 

It's embarrassing how badly the grip was installed. I was planning to put my own grip on anyway, so no real harm done, but this grip is installed to setup at least 3-5 degrees closed. But I ask you this... how am I expected to deal with boring conference calls throughout my typical Monday without being able to test my new putter while doing so... c'mon TM. :busted_cop:

Β 

I tried to take pics that would convey it accurately, to no avail unfortunately... probably caught the grip installation team on a bad day, I guess...

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I guess it doesn't make any sense to me because I am holding onto the putter during my stroke not letting it fly open when I let go of it.

Β 

It is in my hand there for it should not open. Unless it is a flaw in your stroke that makes the putter head fly open

haha,, nice try.. flaws in my stroke just as most people, you included.. please answer the question i asked you.. you have 2 of them, one wants to sit open, other square, which one do you pick??

Is the red JD version noticeably softer than the black DJ version? I've rolled the black, but can't find the red anywhere. I prefer a softer feel... If it's not noticeable, I won't go out of my way to find a red.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19*Β 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Is the red JD version noticeably softer than the black DJ version? I've rolled the black, but can't find the red anywhere. I prefer a softer feel... If it's not noticeable, I won't go out of my way to find a red.

Β 

I hadn't hit the red until I made that video today. Insert feel was much more similar than I expected actually. It was softer, but not by much. I've had the black since December and I had been curious about that since I got it.