Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, your video is terrible, but it looks as if that is pretty square.. you got lucky!! welcome to the club..

lol it looked great on my iPhone. lol Atleast I got lucky!

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

well, your video is terrible, but it looks as if that is pretty square.. you got lucky!! welcome to the club..

lol it looked great on my iPhone. lol Atleast I got lucky!

haha,, from what i could see from all the bluriness aside is that sits like mine.. i'm happy with it,, the one the other guy posted earlier is ridiculous.. no way would i spend $300 on that

Are you resting it on its heel? It's not going to roll open if it's on its heel.

I did my video with the dead middle bottom of the face sitting on the ground. The bottom of the club face is radiused.

If you rest it on its heel with the toe in the air it's not going anywhere.

I agree I was worried, so its the first thing I checked once I got it today. It does move on tile or my wood floor but by me twisting it.

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

This square not square thing seems really strange to me. Mine seems perfectly square, but if you sole it on a solid floor like tile or hardwood and hold it with your hands lower/flat it'll open up. My spider does this, my Byron does this, every putter I've personally tried does this. It seems to me to be an issue of how flat/ upright you hold the putter. If it's resting on its heel it'll sit open. None of this matters anyways as soon as you step on a putting green. If you aim a putt based on how the putter sits and not based on where you need to hit the putt... well good luck.

Taylormade M1 440, Fujikura Atmos TS Black 70 TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade M2 Tour T3 12*, Atmos TS Black 80TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade P7-TW 3-PW, DG TI X100
Vokey SM7 56.14F / 60.12D, DG S400
Byron Morgan 615

Are you resting it on its heel? It's not going to roll open if it's on its heel.

I did my video with the dead middle bottom of the face sitting on the ground. The bottom of the club face is radiused.

If you rest it on its heel with the toe in the air it's not going anywhere.

I went back up to grab it rested it more flat and it just stayed there, only way it opened was if I turned it same thing as on the heel as well. if I took my hand off it remained in the same spot.

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

So here's a different question, has anyone had any paint chip off the head? The reason I ask is because the only one that sets up right for me was the red one, was thinking of stripping the red paint but curious what color lies beneath before I really think about doing this.

Anyone who has a square sitting DJ who wants to trade for a Day let me know, or if someone who can buy a square DJ, I will send PayPal. There are none that sit square in my immediate area.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

I don't understand why some people are saying the platinum insert is crap but still like the JD insert? I asked TM directly and they stated the platinum and JD model use the same insert.

The inserts look the same, but TM calls them different names on their site. They call the JD insert "surlyn-black" and they call the platinum insert "gunmetal 6061 aluminum." It also looks like the platinum model's weights are fixed vice interchangeable.

I don't understand why some people are saying the platinum insert is crap but still like the JD insert? I asked TM directly and they stated the platinum and JD model use the same insert.

The inserts look the same, but TM calls them different names on their site. They call the JD insert "surlyn-black" and they call the platinum insert "gunmetal 6061 aluminum." It also looks like the platinum model's weights are fixed vice interchangeable.

Thanks! I called them again. Funny, as I keep getting different answers but I I think it is more the confusion of the two red models. The Red model with site line (which has been removed from the TM site) and the Platinum have the same 6061 insert. The JD and DJ models both have a different (surlyn) insert.

So I just went to a golf store and found a JD version to mess around with but unfortunately this was the only one in stock. I had ordered the first release DJ version last December and later sold it and could never understand the whole sitting open thing as mine sat perfectly square. Anyway in the store today I set it down and low and behold it sat quite a bit open. The first couple putts I hit were drained and as long as you square it to the target line you shouldn't have any problem but it was a mind thing for me where if I know it's sitting open it seems to play with my mind a little the more I used it. Just my 2 cents.

Since it is snowing here today, I stopped by the local golf store out of boredom. I was looking for other spider putters to see if any actually sit "square" when soled on a hard surface, but they did not have any spider putters in stock. I was checking out the Ping vault Bergen, similar mallet style putter, and if it is soled on a hard surface, it rocks open as well, but again if you grip it normally, it is easy to square towards the hole. I'm convinced that most of this style of putter, with a radiused sole, will rock open on a hard surface, but it is really a non issue on a golf course when making a putting stroke.

Still don't understand the "sitting open" thing here.

Every one I sat on the ground was dead square and didn't budge.

I am getting the DJ

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Has anyone bought heavier weights for it? I had mine cut down an inch so the swing weight is much lighter. If you have changed the weights, where did you get it?

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Has anyone bought heavier weights for it? I had mine cut down an inch so the swing weight is much lighter. If you have changed the weights, where did you get it?

Saw them on GolfWorks

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I have the black tour and have weights coming in a day or two. At this time I have 10 grams of lead tape on the sole. Its currently at 34" and I use 33" putters so it will be cut one inch. I may add as much as 20 grams to the head making it 375 at 33" depending on how it feels. I have not changed the grip yet with will change everything.

I have to say I putt extremely well with it. Accuracy and distance control are superb. It's now between my tour BB8 and the spider for my gamer. From 30' I sunk 2 out of 3 with each on a straight putt. On the practice green it's almost a dead heat.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

This square not square thing seems really strange to me. Mine seems perfectly square, but if you sole it on a solid floor like tile or hardwood and hold it with your hands lower/flat it'll open up. My spider does this, my Byron does this, every putter I've personally tried does this. It seems to me to be an issue of how flat/ upright you hold the putter. If it's resting on its heel it'll sit open. None of this matters anyways as soon as you step on a putting green. If you aim a putt based on how the putter sits and not based on where you need to hit the putt... well good luck.

Granted I'm a Lefty so our Spiders don't ship until the 3rd of April. But I think you're on to something. Any putter held with a slightly flat lie angle will want to swivel slightly open

I have the black tour and have weights coming in a day or two. At this time I have 10 grams of lead tape on the sole. Its currently at 34" and I use 33" putters so it will be cut one inch. I may add as much as 20 grams to the head making it 375 at 33" depending on how it feels. I have not changed the grip yet with will change everything.

I have to say I putt extremely well with it. Accuracy and distance control are superb. It's now between my tour BB8 and the spider for my gamer. From 30' I sunk 2 out of 3 with each on a straight putt. On the practice green it's almost a dead heat.

Thanks Maverick. Where did you purchase the weights from? We play the same length. I just had it cut to 33" from 34" today and put on a Winn AVS midsize on it. Its noticeably lighter than the spider limited I have in the same length. I loved the weight at the 34" length and lag putts were amazingly easy to control. At 33" it's still great but I can tell I have to put a little more to it to get it to the hole.

From the club maker who cut mine, he said 1 inch off will also take off about 6 swing weight points. So my question is, how heavy are the weights that come stock? How much weight do I add now that 6 swing weight points are off? Let us know how the weights work out for you Maverick.

Does anyone know the stock swing weights for the 34" and 35"? I know the head weights are 355g at both lengths.

Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X 45.25"
Callaway Paradym 15* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM9 50*08* F / 54*12*D/ 58*12*D
LAB DF3 34*/69* 

I put 10 gram weights in my tour black and love the weight. Although on slower greens, it may be a little too heavy. Will probably purchase a set of 6 gram weights and change them when playing on slower greens.

TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5*
TaylorMade 2017 M1 15*
TaylorMade M2 Tour 3
TaylorMade PSI Tour 4-PW
TaylorMade EF 54 & 58 ATV
Putter

Thanks Maverick. Where did you purchase the weights from? We play the same length. I just had it cut to 33" from 34" today and put on a Winn AVS midsize on it. Its noticeably lighter than the spider limited I have in the same length. I loved the weight at the 34" length and lag putts were amazingly easy to control. At 33" it's still great but I can tell I have to put a little more to it to get it to the hole.

From the club maker who cut mine, he said 1 inch off will also take off about 6 swing weight points. So my question is, how heavy are the weights that come stock? How much weight do I add now that 6 swing weight points are off? Let us know how the weights work out for you Maverick.

stock weights are 2g... I believe for every decrease in SW point in headweight, you need to add 2g. So you would need 12g added back to the head.

From my trial with both i feel the DJ has a flatter lie which can make it seem open while the Red Day putter seems to be more upright and sat square for me. Anyone notice this?

I would also say that I think last years Spider OS is one of the best Spiders I've tried. Sits square with a milled insert and well balanced. Might not have the coolness of the new ones but I like it a lot.

I noticed the stock weights were 2 grams. So the head itself must be 351 grams. I am putting 12 grams on each side=375 grams. I might adjust it down, we will see. The 365 gram Piretti carbon steel ver. I have is about right but has no insert. I am just waiting for the weights I got off eBay which are Taylormade weights. At 34" with 10 grams of lead tape the swing weight is E-0. However I will put a heavier grip so that will go down.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I noticed the stock weights were 2 grams. So the head itself must be 351 grams. I am putting 12 grams on each side=375 grams. I might adjust it down, we will see. The 365 gram Piretti carbon steel ver. I have is about right but has no insert. I am just waiting for the weights I got off eBay which are Taylormade weights. At 34" with 10 grams of lead tape the swing weight is E-0. However I will put a heavier grip so that will go down.

Thanks. I just ordered the TM weight kit from global golf. Can't wait for it to come in so I can play around with the weights. But I want the swingweight to be where it was at 34" so hopefully adding the 12 gram weights will do the trick.

Thanks. I just ordered the TM weight kit from global golf. Can't wait for it to come in so I can play around with the weights. But I want the swingweight to be where it was at 34" so hopefully adding the 12 gram weights will do the trick.

I have a favor to ask? I have a TM OS CB Spider I love the weight and have found no other putter that works as well due to weight, I have the club at 34" and a flatso 2.0 grip not the XL grip just stock Flatso 2.0. If you put on a swing weight machine it comes off as G1, flip it around for gram weight comes off as 565. Can anyone give me what you're getting with your particular putter, the type you have?

Loft is what causes open or square. If it sits open (shaft leaning back with face square to target while putter is completely soled) then you can add loft to bring shaft to vertical while keeping face square to target and putter completely soled.

Many of the retail versions I've seen have very little if any loft causing this open issue. It's the same concept as taking loft off your driver opens the face while adding loft on your driver will close or square the face (also bringing shaft more vertical vs leaning back when face is square to target)

If this putter has 3.5 to 4 degrees of loft it should sit pretty square with the shaft in the vertical position. If it only has 1 or 2 degrees of loft (like most I've seen in the shop) it's going to swing open when completely soled and shaft vertical.

I put 10 gram weights in my tour black and love the weight. Although on slower greens, it may be a little too heavy. Will probably purchase a set of 6 gram weights and change them when playing on slower greens.

So you are putting in less weight for slow greens or did I not understand your post?

Byron Morgan 615 33"