Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish they offered the slant neck versions with a sight line :( I use the Ghost Spider S which is the older slightly larger, black and white, slant neck head just because it has a line. Would MUCH rather have the all black though.

White pin stripping will work and it's not permanent. If you don't like it just take it off.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I really wish they offered the slant neck versions with a sight line :( I use the Ghost Spider S which is the older slightly larger, black and white, slant neck head just because it has a line. Would MUCH rather have the all black though.

White pin stripping will work and it's not permanent. If you don't like it just take it off.

What are people using for pin stripping? I'd like to try a non-permanent sight line?

What are people using for pin stripping? I'd like to try a non-permanent sight line?

Go to an auto zone and grab some. They come in really thin strips. I use them a lot. From previous threads it seems it may be illegal for competition and you may have to put a layer of clear over it to make it a "permanent fixture" but that's for you to decide if that matters.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

What seems to be the differences in the face-balanced versions? (Limited Red and Platinum). Looks like they pulled the Red version off the Taylormade site which I thought was weird unless there is a reason that I have yet to read up on.

Main difference in the limited over the tour is the insert, double bend neck, slightly heavier head, face balanced, sight line, and no removable weights.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

My 'pimped' TM Spider Tour Black:

• Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0
  • 2X20G weights added

Amazing putter!!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

What seems to be the differences in the face-balanced versions? (Limited Red and Platinum). Looks like they pulled the Red version off the Taylormade site which I thought was weird unless there is a reason that I have yet to read up on.

Main difference in the limited over the tour is the insert, double bend neck, slightly heavier head, face balanced, sight line, and no removable weights.

Sorry, should have been a little more specific. Meant the difference between these two putters. Other than an $80 difference in price.

Here's a couple photos of the pin striping I just added... It comes in rolls at auto zone like the other guy said. They have it in black or white and in various thicknesses.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Sorry, should have been a little more specific. Meant the difference between these two putters. Other than an $80 difference in price.

Ohhhh. Well the differences between this two are minimal. Only minor cosmetic changes. All other specs are identical.

Ohhhh. Well the differences between this two are minimal. Only minor cosmetic changes. All other specs are identical.

Interesting so basically an $80 paint job haha

I have two different sizes of white pin stripping from O'Reilies, same as AutoZone. Works great.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Here's a couple photos of the pin striping I just added... It comes in rolls at auto zone like the other guy said. They have it in black or white and in various thicknesses.

Nice job, looks great.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I bought the red JD version and it sat perfectly square when soled. After second thought I wanted black so I could add a white sight line. Stopped into the shop today and swapped it out for a black and when I got home to roll some putts the damn thing is wide open when sitting on the ground!!! I personally grip the putter and then take aim so it's not a huge deal, but as others have said, I don't want to have that type of thing going through my mind when I'm putting. Just my experience with BOTH models.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Finally had a chance to try the tour black today. Was really looking forward to buying this putter but I have to say the feel off the face felt slightly "hollow" to me. I know feel is subjective but I was expecting more from a $300 putter. In contrast I tried the odyssey o-works fang and that had a much more solid feel to me.

My black one sits Perfectly square. Tested the same way as in post #168 on a variety of surfaces.

I gotta chuckle at some of these posts tho. Especially the ones by guys with $650 drivers (hit 12-14 times per round) saying they would never pay $300 for a putter (average amateur statistics show 31 times per round) smh.

Titleist TSR 3 / Ventus Blue 6-X

Titleist TSR 3W 15* / Ventus Blue 7-X
Callaway Apex 20* / Tour AD DI 85x
Callaway X-Forged '18 4i-PW/ Modus3 Tour 125x

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore Tour Rack 50.10 / 54.12 / 58.10 / DG TI S400

Odyssey Jailbird 380 WH

Has anyone added weights to their Tour models? I think having a heavier head will smooth my stroke out. I kind of want to dive right in with the dual 20's, but I think the smart move would be something like 12's since the stock weights are so light.

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

EDIT: Just read the weight feedback from a few pages ago, looks like 10g might be a good start!

Has anyone added weights to their Tour models? I think having a heavier head will smooth my stroke out. I kind of want to dive right in with the dual 20's, but I think the smart move would be something like 12's since the stock weights are so light.

EDIT: Just read the weight feedback from a few pages ago, looks like 10g might be a good start!

I had mine cut down an inch so I had to add 12 grams to make up the swingweight. Ended up putting 10 grams in and it's perfect. That being said, I practice on very fast greens so I may put in 12 when playing on slower greens.

Picked up a black Spider Tour to work with as an experiment and feel compelled to chime in that it sits square. I think it appears to sit open due to the visibility of the loft of the face, which is exaggerated by the grooves. But all you have to do to verify that it sits square is set up two clubs on the ground in a flat area, parallel to each other, and putt down the path between them. If you align the putter square to the exit, you'll see that it sits square. You won't be hitting the outside club in the path of the putt..

You can also just let it sit flat and align the grip for your putt, then hold it up right in front of you so that the face is perpendicular to the ground. It will, again, clearly be dead square.

I looked at a bunch in the store and they were identical, for what it's worth.

EDIT: Also, I like practicing with it because it releases perfectly and makes my tempo better with my current gamer. Depending on some drills and practice time, if I find that I'm just a better putter with it . . .

917 D3 9.5° (AD GP 6X), G 3W 14.5° (Rome 888), 816 H 18° (Motore), JPX 900 Tour 3-PW (S300 AMT), T7 52° and 58° (S300), Bettinardi BB0, B330S

I put in a 12 gram weight on each side. At 33" it is perfect for me. FYI, I bought the weights which are aftermarket but good quality from the Golfworks dot com and they look like the TM ones I bought off eBay from the back. The eBay weights were $14.95 each with $5.95 Standard USPS. Golfworks were $6.00 each. I mean 12 grams is 12 grams so why pay a ton for OEM weights? Both weighed on a triple beam and both 12 grams. I did put a small amount of blue locktite so the weights will never back out or get loose.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

10g just didn't feel enough for me - 20g X 2 made the difference. At the end of the day, it's subjective and for the relatively low cost it worth it to try various weights...

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Can probably chalk this up to me being a golf newbie, but I just got back from putting the JD, DJ, and the Platinum. My local shop had 3 JDs, 2 Plats, and 5-6 DJs. I handled at least 6-7 different putters, and putted at least 4 different putters. All of them looked square to the ball. Even if I let the putter rest on the floor, it seemed to line up square. The odd thing was, the JDays felt like they had a heavier weight then the DJs. I went back and forth, and could swear they were heavier. Maybe it was the difference in the grip that made it seem that way? Anyway, the DJ felt the best to me. It looks like I narrowed down my Bday present to myself.

I have the tour JD with the old pure roll insert. It sits perfectly square to my eye and I prefer the older insert to the newer all black one on the retail head. Mine came with 4 gram weights and seems to have slightly less toe hang.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix