Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

Just picked up a red. Cut it to 33 and installed a 1.0 pistol countercore with the 25 gram insert....the 50 gram felt too heavy. Changed the weights to some 4's in the head that I had laying around....feel is solid. The countercore really smooths out my stroke trying it with and without. I am also surprised...besides the color....how much I like the blandness of this putter. Line up the leading edge and let it go. On course testing this morning.

I think I liked the feel of the black a little better but really liked the contrast between the black shaft and the red head.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 questions:

1. I know you guys are changing the grips on these putters. What are you guys using? Anyone throw a SNSR on theirs?

2. Where are you guys getting heavier weights to throw in these things? If I put my SNSR 104 pistol do I need to add more weight to the head? Thanks!

I have the 104 pistol SNSR on mine and am in love with the feel.. Well at least putting indoors (in NY) lol...

Should be on the course soon...

Titleist TSR 3 / Ventus Blue 6-X

Titleist TSR 3W 15* / Ventus Blue 7-X
Callaway Apex 20* / Tour AD DI 85x
Callaway X-Forged '18 4i-PW/ Modus3 Tour 125x

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore Tour Rack 50.10 / 54.12 / 58.10 / DG TI S400

Odyssey Jailbird 380 WH

So, I've reached out to a contact I have at Taylormade from the #TaylormadeTuesday trip about the Spider Tour's and their face angle. When I hear back I'll be sure to post here.

Until then, here's my experience with them. When soled with the shaft vertically, and the head of the putter flat on the ground, they tend to sit square. I'm not saying that all of them do because YMMV, but the ones I've used have all followed this rule. When you address the ball with some amount of shaft lean, the putter swings open. As others have stated, it's a product of the sole design. I made a video tonight at the store showing what I mean:

Hopefully my guy at Taylormade can let me know more about why this is.

Personally, I would love one that's more open because I wouldn't miss any more putts by pulling them :taunt:

Perfect video for this, I think this is what most of #teamsquare has been trying to say... I don't think anyone has said it WOULDN'T sit open, I just think it all has to do with how the shaft is positioned.

on another note...what shoes are those? love that colorway

Nike Free RN Distance

Winn AVS midsize? Believe it's 75 grams

Yeah... can't find anything on that specific grip. Is it the same as the excel medalist? That one is 75 grams.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have a 120 gram Golf Pride Crown Jumbo that seems to be fine. I have a Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 if that felt too heavy. Replaced the 12 gram weights with 20 gram weights and it putts perfect. I am very anal about putters and what I own are very expensive putters. I find in my situation this putter does NOT feel cheap and/or hollow. It improved my putting stats. If you check my posts I very seldom sing praises for a putter but TaylorMade has a winner with this line. JMHO.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I found the Red at DSG this weekend and was surprised at how well it seemed to set up against the ball and the weight was fantastic. I've never ever been able to stroke a TM mallet. I wonder if the slant neck helps that.

Also, for everyone who says this putter doesn't lie square, have you messed with the lie angle? I always struggled with this until I went through a putter fitting and found that once it's bent to the right lie angle, it sits square as can be. I have to imagine this is the case with the Spider, since I could physically see where I needed to hold my hands on the demo club to make it square. A little too high or low and it would start to point cockeyeed for me.

Really interested to know if anyone has bent the lie angle of the black or red. At 70* its not quite right but unsure if that cast neck could be bent? PM me if you have and how far you bent it? Thx

I just picked up the DJ from our brand new Golf Galaxy. I am not the biggest fan of the grip and will try to snag the SS Black Tie if they ever release it again. Mine does not fly open like a lot have described so maybe I got lucky.

Where are people getting the 20g weights? That seems like it would make it very heavy, but I have always liked a heavier putter (always did 20g weights in my 34" Scotty's).

I just picked up the DJ from our brand new Golf Galaxy. I am not the biggest fan of the grip and will try to snag the SS Black Tie if they ever release it again. Mine does not fly open like a lot have described so maybe I got lucky.

Where are people getting the 20g weights? That seems like it would make it very heavy, but I have always liked a heavier putter (always did 20g weights in my 34" Scotty's).

I believe most Scotty's are in the 320-330g range without the weights, the Spider is 351g without the weights, so 20g in the Spider would be much heavier.

I believe most Scotty's are in the 320-330g range without the weights, the Spider is 351g without the weights, so 20g in the Spider would be much heavier.

Thanks for the response. I may try to add different weights, but I agree that the 20g sound like it would be a tank.

Anyone have thoughts about these? https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-accessories/1030983-taylormade-universal-torque-wrench-weight-kit-tools/

I think that toolkit only comes with 1 of each weight. Would probably want equal weights on each side of the putter. There are some 3rd party kits on amazon that have 2 of each.

Golfworks has the weights for like $6.99 each.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Went into golftown to pick up lead tape, walked out with a DJ spider....

Ughhh lol. Just feels so good for my stroke.. round tomorrow see how it goes

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

would you say open or square?
Slightly closed? lol

Human visual perception is a funny thing. Measured the angles with a photo app. Putter is closed to the top and right line of the tile and it's setting pretty dang close to square to the bottom and left line. Obviously some sort of parallax distortion but nothing is open in that photo.

would you say open or square?
Slightly closed? lol

Human visual perception is a funny thing. Measured the angles with a photo app. Putter is closed to the top and right line of the tile and it's setting pretty dang close to square to the bottom and left line. Obviously some sort of parallax distortion but nothing is open in that photo.

Thanks, great answer.... after playing with it I found that the sole plate doesn't sit flat at all which makes the putter feel strange when planted