Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

Has anyone bought heavier weights for it? I had mine cut down an inch so the swing weight is much lighter. If you have changed the weights, where did you get it?

I put 10 gram weights in my tour black and love the weight. Although on slower greens, it may be a little too heavy. Will probably purchase a set of 6 gram weights and change them when playing on slower greens.

So you are putting in less weight for slow greens or did I not understand your post?

I always thought it would be the opposite too but my edel putter said to use the lighter weights for slow greens also.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen any issues with these putters sitting open! Is it the no sight line that's throwing everyone off?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I haven't seen any issues with these putters sitting open! Is it the no sight line that's throwing everyone off?

Nope, but some seem fine so maybe you have just not seen the ones that open up. Some of them are way, way open, not just like a degree or two.

I just spoke to the Taylormade distributor over here with regards to this, and all he could say is that they all sit open. I have personally seen one that doesn't, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Everyone is just placing the putter on the ground without taking the lie angle into account. I would bet that if you sole the putter at the proper lie angle (aka not letting the toe of the putter off the ground) that it won't look open to anyone.

I know how many people are about to fight on me on this, so that's all I'm going to add about the putters sitting "open"

Everyone is just placing the putter on the ground without taking the lie angle into account. I would bet that if you sole the putter at the proper lie angle (aka not letting the toe of the putter off the ground) that it won't look open to anyone.

I know how many people are about to fight on me on this, so that's all I'm going to add about the putters sitting "open"

wrong!!!! lol,, I have tried to sit some of these down,, in hopes it wouldn't sit open!! so in other words, I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. and the one that seems to sit open, vs the one that sits square, when i'm testing, i'm sitting them down exactly the same way. yet one wants to sit square, and the other open!!

I've seen all 10 spider tours at my pro shop and they all sit square. Like zbuck and some others have said, it's all dependent on how you lay it on the floor. That is all.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Has anyone bought heavier weights for it? I had mine cut down an inch so the swing weight is much lighter. If you have changed the weights, where did you get it?

I put 10 gram weights in my tour black and love the weight. Although on slower greens, it may be a little too heavy. Will probably purchase a set of 6 gram weights and change them when playing on slower greens.

So you are putting in less weight for slow greens or did I not understand your post?

I always thought it would be the opposite too but my edel putter said to use the lighter weights for slow greens also.

That makes absolutely no sense at all unless you put you wrists into the putting stroke which I do not want. I've played for 57+ years and that's BS. I re-shafted my first club 20 years ago and have re-gripped, re-shafted built clubs ever since then.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I've seen all 10 spider tours at my pro shop and they all sit square. Like zbuck and some others have said, it's all dependent on how you lay it on the floor. That is all.

This is the last time I'm going to state the same thing over and over, but come on people, why is it so difficult to believe that tons of these putters sit open? I've been around golf, particularly the putting world, for a very long time and it's not like I'm simply putting these on the ground in one exact way and seeing how it sits. Some of these putters are simply impossible to square up when soled, and it's not like they are just a tiny bit open or my eyes are deceiving me, they just flip totally open when soled and the only possible way to square them up would be to have your hands way, waaaay behind the ball. I've discussed this with the Guys working in the shops too and it's not like they are not seeing it, it's very, very obvious and I wish some of you could see this before you tell us here that we don't know what we are seeing.

If your shop has 10 that sit square, awesome! Hopefully they come in batches were some batches are all good. As I said earlier, I talked to the Swedish Tailormade distributor today and asked if they had any that sat square and he told me no, they all sit open. We got a bad batch I guess. Out of the six I have held, one did sit square though. Not sure if it was out of spec with regards to loft though. Some have mentioned that theirs came with no loft, so that may have been the case with the one I saw.

Still a cool putter, just hope they fix this issue soon though.

​Regarding heavy or light weight for fast or slow greens, if you look at what the putting gurus and professionals say, I think it's almost an exact split between the two camps. A heavy putter has more force so it can send the ball longer if struck with the same speed, but a lighter putter is easier to take a bigger swing with, so just go with whatever fits you. Personally, I would go crazy changing the weight in my putter depending on green speed as it would totally throw off my stroke. I much rather just adjust to the given speed with the same putter in hand.

I say let those who say there is nothing wrong with them continue to believe so. if the end up getting one, lets see if they decide to choose which one of them feels/looks best to them, or if they just grab it and buy it.

lets just end this on it's the eye of the beholder. as long as your happy with it who cares if its open or square.

me on the other hand just do NOT want a putter that "wants" to open at address. the one I got sits very square so I like it.

This is the last time I'm going to state the same thing over and over, but come on people, why is it so difficult to believe that tons of these putters sit open? I've been around golf, particularly the putting world, for a very long time and it's not like I'm simply putting these on the ground in one exact way and seeing how it sits. Some of these putters are simply impossible to square up when soled, and it's not like they are just a tiny bit open or my eyes are deceiving me, they just flip totally open when soled and the only possible way to square them up would be to have your hands way, waaaay behind the ball. I've discussed this with the Guys working in the shops too and it's not like they are not seeing it, it's very, very obvious and I wish some of you could see this before you tell us here that we don't know what we are seeing.

If your shop has 10 that sit square, awesome! Hopefully they come in batches were some batches are all good. As I said earlier, I talked to the Swedish Tailormade distributor today and asked if they had any that sat square and he told me no, they all sit open. We got a bad batch I guess. Out of the six I have held, one did sit square though. Not sure if it was out of spec with regards to loft though. Some have mentioned that theirs came with no loft, so that may have been the case with the one I saw.

Still a cool putter, just hope they fix this issue soon though.

​Regarding heavy or light weight for fast or slow greens, if you look at what the putting gurus and professionals say, I think it's almost an exact split between the two camps. A heavy putter has more force so it can send the ball longer if struck with the same speed, but a lighter putter is easier to take a bigger swing with, so just go with whatever fits you. Personally, I would go crazy changing the weight in my putter depending on green speed as it would totally throw off my stroke. I much rather just adjust to the given speed with the same putter in hand.

Well I'm basing my opinion on my personal experience. The 10 at the shop plus my own tour red sit square. Maybe I'm just lucky to have access to a good batch. Thanks for your input

I just got mine today. It looks like it sits square but I do hold the putter in a flatter lie so maybe that is why. Or maybe I got lucky and got one that just sits square. I did get unlucky in that there was a huge paint chip out of the slant neck right when I took it out of the box. Hopefully Carl's Golfland will be able to send me a new one without any blemishes as I really like this putter.

I cut mine down to 33", put in 12 gram weights on each side and a heavy grip for fit and counterbalance. It is perfect. I can make long putts with this setup which I could not as it came stock. Speed control is perfect. BTW, after putting on a bigger grip it seems to sit very square.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Ok we get it. Some sit open, some sit square! I've recapped the last few pages for everyone. I like mine spider black. Puts a great roll on it. Added 8g weights and SS pistol GT 1.0 w/ the counter weight in it and it really balances and puts a smooth stroke on the ball. Just have to get used to the little extra roll I get out of it!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

Did anyone else have issues with the paint chipping? Wondering if its a manufacturing thing or if it got dinged in shipping?

Have had mine for a couple weeks now and had a couple rounds and a ton of practice on it. Still looks brand new. No issues at all with the paint.

Did anyone else have issues with the paint chipping? Wondering if its a manufacturing thing or if it got dinged in shipping?

Have had mine for a couple weeks now and had a couple rounds and a ton of practice on it. Still looks brand new. No issues at all with the paint.

look on sole,, must be scratches

Nope. Both sole and top line are pristine. And again I've had it for two weeks, played two full rounds and atleast 1000 practice putts.

48b31744490924c72af1c583ef0ce5a2.jpg9a19c0fabc99df3f6aeb626fa631c387.jpg

I got the 20 gram weights in last night and put them straight in the putter (DJ version).

At time of purchase, I had the 2g weights swapped out to 8g weights, so I've been playing the head at 367 grams. The 20 gram weights are a 24 gram bump up to 391 grams... and it's very noticeable. Not bad, just different.

Only carpet putting so far, but a few takeaways:

• The head does feel more stable... not that it wasn't stable before.
  • Putts seem to be rolling with a bit more speed. I know there are conflicting opinions on this, but this is what the extra weight translates into for me.
  • I hit a few putts as far off the heel and toe as I could and the ball was still getting to target, with plenty of speed. I can't see how this change wouldn't have boosted the MOI a decent amount.
  • My usual gamer is 358 grams, and I've played putters at 365 grams with no problem. I like a heavier head. That said, this is the heaviest I've ever tried and I can see the allure of it. It definitely feels like the extra weight encourages the larger muscles to engage and the smaller muscles to quiet down.

I want to get this on the practice green a bit to see how the speed control translates. As long as there are no problems in dialing in speed control, I don't see why I wouldn't want the MOI as high as possible.

I also picked up a SuperStroke Pistol 1.0 with the counterweight, to play around with that a bit, too. If the swing weight turns out to be just a bit uncomfortable, the counterweight might help dial that back a bit... Or I just take out the counterweight, put the 8g weight back in the head and call it a day.

Either way, it's fun to play around.

For those who are curious, a link to the weights I ordered is below. They aren't OEM, but they are good quality and fit in the putter perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2pcs-20g-Weights-for-TaylorMade-R11s-R11-R9-R7-R5-Spider-Rossa-MWT-/121955923468?hash=item1c6523b60c:g:KtYAAOSwubRXD23D

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Can you post pics of the back end of your putter? I want to see how the weights look in the ports? <curious if they stick out any> Thanks.

I got the 20 gram weights in last night and put them straight in the putter (DJ version).

At time of purchase, I had the 2g weights swapped out to 8g weights, so I've been playing the head at 367 grams. The 20 gram weights are a 24 gram bump up to 391 grams... and it's very noticeable. Not bad, just different.

Only carpet putting so far, but a few takeaways:

• The head does feel more stable... not that it wasn't stable before.
  • Putts seem to be rolling with a bit more speed. I know there are conflicting opinions on this, but this is what the extra weight translates into for me.
  • I hit a few putts as far off the heel and toe as I could and the ball was still getting to target, with plenty of speed. I can't see how this change wouldn't have boosted the MOI a decent amount.
  • My usual gamer is 358 grams, and I've played putters at 365 grams with no problem. I like a heavier head. That said, this is the heaviest I've ever tried and I can see the allure of it. It definitely feels like the extra weight encourages the larger muscles to engage and the smaller muscles to quiet down.

I want to get this on the practice green a bit to see how the speed control translates. As long as there are no problems in dialing in speed control, I don't see why I wouldn't want the MOI as high as possible.

I also picked up a SuperStroke Pistol 1.0 with the counterweight, to play around with that a bit, too. If the swing weight turns out to be just a bit uncomfortable, the counterweight might help dial that back a bit... Or I just take out the counterweight, put the 8g weight back in the head and call it a day.

Either way, it's fun to play around.

For those who are curious, a link to the weights I ordered is below. They aren't OEM, but they are good quality and fit in the putter perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/...tYAAOSwubRXD23D

Cheers,

Mike

Can you post pics of the back end of your putter? I want to see how the weights look in the ports? <curious if they stick out any> Thanks.

Won't be able to post pics anytime soon, but the weights do not stick out. They are very slightly recessed... to the naked eye, they sit pretty flush.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Ended up buying the Red version of this today.....

Got fitted for an Edel last year with as many lines on the putter that you can have to help me align to target so had shied away from these. Picked the TM's up today and, even without any alignment lines on the top, could aim it exactly where I wanted and loved the feel of the Red version, less so the Black.

Sits perfectly square aswell for those commenting/interested.

Very impressed, I actually had my eye on a Ping Tyne or O Works R Line but the Spider Tour felt so much better (to me, realise feel is a personal thing) off the face.

I really wish they offered the slant neck versions with a sight line :( I use the Ghost Spider S which is the older slightly larger, black and white, slant neck head just because it has a line. Would MUCH rather have the all black though.

Ping G400 LST 9* - Diamana Kai'li 70x
Ping G30 14.5* - UST VTS Silver 7F5
Adams DHY Pro 18* - Aldila Proto 95x
Srixon Z545 4i - UST Recoil 110 F5
Srixon Z785 5-PW - Modus 120x
Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0  - DG S400
Tommy Armour 845 DLT Todd Sones
Srixon Z Star

"Dont play too much golf. Two rounds per day is plenty." - Harry Vardon

"Every day that I missed practicing takes me one day longer to be good." Ben Hogan

Received my spider tour black in the mail today from a fellow member here.... sits square all day. Have not experienced a single one of these putters that sits "open". My Scotty Cameron mid slant has been benched.... picked up a ping sigma "Tyne" a couple weeks ago... was a great putter..... have always thought these spiders were just wierd looking. Made the mistake of rolling one at my local golf galaxy last week.... ping tyne was quickly sold. Can not wait to play this spider on course.... feels so stable in stroke.... my Scotty should have a 1/4 inch of dust on it by thanksgiving.... was never interested in this putter till I touched one.... buyer beware!!!!