Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

The biggest difference other than color and insert is that the J Day sits square. The DJ has more loft bc it's suited to a forward press like DJ. The J Day shaft points straight up when soled while the DJ shaft points slightly back

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50*Β 

Jaw Raw 54sΒ Β 

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest difference other than color and insert is that the J Day sits square. The DJ has more loft bc it's suited to a forward press like DJ. The J Day shaft points straight up when soled while the DJ shaft points slightly back

you are 100% WRONG!!! both are 3.5* loft, 38* toe hang.. , and like i said, i just saw 2 at my club, the red sat square, the black open..

Other then the obvious differences; (insert, grip and colour) the putters are the same.

Β 

Same head weight, same loft, and MOI.

Β 

The putter is going to sit different compared to everyone, some say closed, others say open. One reason why I have started to take reviews on here with a grain of salt.

Β 

Laying it flat on me your, not flat tile floor, will probbaly make it look like it sits open to you. Who cares how it looks sitting on your kitchen floor!

Β 

How does it work on the green?

Β 

Rolling putts on the putting green at golftown, both the JD and the DJ versions felt great! I Am use to a Scotty so the DJ version felt more like home to me with its little firmer feel. Guys that se use to the newer oddessey insert will like the JD version. I find with no site line I have to really take notice of where I am lining up. I am use to my old Scotty x7m and with 3 alignment lines on it I have no problem With aglinment.

Β 

I LOVE how flush and flat the spider sits on the ground. On the back stroke it just seems to want to hug the ground and stay very stable.

Β 

I really wish more mallets were available from retail with the flow neck. I was quoted just under $400 to put one on my x7m before exchange rate.

Β 

I prefer the stock grip on the DJ vs the JD.

Β 

I am waiting on the new 2017 scottys to come out on the 17th before I pull the trigger. That 5S has my eye.

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60txΒ 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70txΒ 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90xΒ 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125txΒ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI OnyxΒ 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grindΒ 
Tri-hot double wideΒ 

Other then the obvious differences; (insert, grip and colour) the putters are the same.

Β 

Same head weight, same loft, and MOI.

Β 

The putter is going to sit different compared to everyone, some say closed, others say open. One reason why I have started to take reviews on here with a grain of salt.

Β 

Laying it flat on me your, not flat tile floor, will probbaly make it look like it sits open to you. Who cares how it looks sitting on your kitchen floor!

Β 

How does it work on the green?

Β 

Rolling putts on the putting green at golftown, both the JD and the DJ versions felt great! I Am use to a Scotty so the DJ version felt more like home to me with its little firmer feel. Guys that se use to the newer oddessey insert will like the JD version. I find with no site line I have to really take notice of where I am lining up. I am use to my old Scotty x7m and with 3 alignment lines on it I have no problem With aglinment.

Β 

I LOVE how flush and flat the spider sits on the ground. On the back stroke it just seems to want to hug the ground and stay very stable.

Β 

I really wish more mallets were available from retail with the flow neck. I was quoted just under $400 to put one on my x7m before exchange rate.

Β 

I prefer the stock grip on the DJ vs the JD.

Β 

I am waiting on the new 2017 scottys to come out on the 17th before I pull the trigger. That 5S has my eye.

Β 

Good read there mate.

I do agree the JDay version grip is quite small but i am coming from the Itsy Spider Limited so it may just be a time thing to adjust if i was to go a red.

Just got dj model. Sits square to mini closed even

You got lucky! Mine wants to rest open.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Does anyone know exactly what grip Jason Day uses on his putter? While the design on the Tour Red is similar to his, after looking at pictures, his grip is a bit different.

Β 

His also looks more like a midsize vs. what is on the red Spider Tours. I'm sure his a custom. Aren't the retail grips the same model that came on the original Ghost Spider? If I could get that grip in a midsize, I think it would be perfect, it does have a nice shape.

Β 

Day is using the grip that came on the retail Ghost Spiders. The grip on the new Spider Tour is the exact same model, but it's a fresh run made specifically for the Spider Tour that has a slightly darker red color and the word "Ghost" was removed from the sides. It's the same grip, though, aside from those cosmetic differences.

Β 

The grip is a Winn Medalist Pistol standard size. If you like the grip but want it larger, either add some tape or check out one of Winn's midsize pistols.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 -Β DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

If anyone is interested, I broke down a few of the minor differences between the retail Spider Tour and tour issues in another thread

Β 

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry15131186

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I don't think I have ever had a putter that sits exactly square except an old taylormade ghost manta that I got rid of. I just accept that I will have to manipulate the head a bit.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

I received my black tour DJ model today and went out to the local muni to try it out. Sits square with my hands over the ball. I sank a lot of putts and like it but will need slightly more weight for the slow greens. I was very accurate w/o the sight line but am used to aiming off the face. Some one needs to put several of these on a lie/loft machine since there is so many feel they don't sit right. Mine seems fine and the putts confirm that.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Β 

Β 

Β 

Wouldn't you still want such a large head to be radiused sloping down from the face to the back, so you don't catch the shim on the putting surface? Even though the weight may be too little to actually make the weighting feel nonuniform, it would drive me crazy thinking about it.

Β 

Again, there are some out there that do sit straight, so it just comes down to sloppy tolerance with these. Odyssey and other brands have had similar issues with a few of their lines/models, but for the price that they are asking for these, it kinda bothers me. I do still think this design is very effective, so hopefully that can get this figured out soon.

Β 

Two points. Absolutely ALL of them sit like this unless they have been bent, or they are coming from the factory with an abnormal amount of loft. If you bend the hosel and effectively lower the rear end of the putter, it will sit flat, however, you will add at least two degrees of loft to the putter which is far too much. Believe me....I tried that already. Ball jumped off the face. Couldn't get a clean role.

Β 

Second. They were designed this way ON PURPOSE , as you mention, so the rear of the club doesn't scrape the ground through impact.

Β 

The club is MEANT to be addressed with the rear of the putter elevated. The problem is, I like to let mine sit dead flat on the ground just barely cradled in my hands as I align it. This can't be done without significant bending or shims.

Β 

Anyone who uses a double bend putter shaft probably wouldn't even notice because almost all of them have reverse shaft lean and require your hands to be behind the head at address to square the face. I would guess that anyone saying this putter doesn't roll open has been playing double bend shafts with reverse shaft lean and simply is used to it.

my son just received his tour red, sits dead square!

Β 

Ok. Good. It's not physically possible, but if you think it does that's great. They use the same casts,. They just paint them different colors.

Β 

I will say it one last time and then give up. They all are made the same way and unless they are seriously out of spec OR you normally address the ball with your hands behind the head with reverse shaft lean,...they will all naturally sit open when the club is dead flat on a hard surface.

Β 

We've had this same discussion since they came out in December and I threw in the towel for a while and I will again. Just not that important. I can't explain it any other way than I have.

Β 

Peace out..

it is possible, because it does sit square!

Β 

I am really impressed with this model. The groves on the face are working and I cannot notice any skidding. This is by far the best OTR putter I have seen or owned. I will have to change the grip to a Flatso (current grip is very nice but too small for me) and do some weight rearranging but it is a good candidate for my bag which would knock out some very high priced putters.The one that makes the most putts is the one I use. I think it is obvious TaylorMade has a big hit on their hands. Between the 4 or so models there is one for just about anyone. It's time they got a break.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Β 

Β 

Β 

I am really impressed with this model. The groves on the face are working and I cannot notice any skidding. This is by far the best OTR putter I have seen or owned. I will have to change the grip to a Flatso (current grip is very nice but too small for me) and do some weight rearranging but it is a good candidate for my bag which would knock out some very high priced putters.The one that makes the most putts is the one I use. I think it is obvious TaylorMade has a big hit on their hands. Between the 4 or so models there is one for just about anyone. It's time they got a break.

Β 

Saw that James Hanh and Charl Schwartzel both had it in play yesterday.

Β 

I guess TaylorMade makes the best flow/slant neck mallet. Period.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Β 

Β 

Β 

Which colour were they playing out of curiosity? thanks

Β 

Β 

Β 

Which colour were they playing out of curiosity? thanks

Β 

Black....both

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

That is pretty cool. I can't remember TaylorMade ever having the #1 putter on tour.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

I have had 2 black DJ models with the Itsy Bitsy sole plate, and now have a JD model with the new sole plate. The JD model clearly sits more square to my eye. Surprisingly I don't notice much of a difference in feel between inserts.

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

They need to make a murdered out platinum spider! Black grip, black shaft, gray site line, red weights!

Β 

Come on TaylorMade!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
SmokeΒ πŸ”ΉπŸ”ΉπŸ”Ή15* GD IZ 6s
Β 
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey ProtoΒ 
Nike 006 Rory ProtoΒ 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Here is a link to a video review of all 3 new Tour spiders, posted today

Β 

Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X 45.25"
Callaway Paradym 15* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Srixon ZX7Β 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM9 50*08* F / 54*12*D/ 58*12*D
LAB DF3 34*/69*Β 

I liked the black better. If I bought one id buy it. If I let it rest on the ground. They did seem to want to open up. I will stay with my jdm spider aND wait for a cheap dj.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spiderΒ 
ping hoofer
tp5x

If anyone is interested, I broke down a few of the minor differences between the retail Spider Tour and tour issues in another thread

Β 

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry15131186

great info! I think I actually might cancel my order.. I really like the paint finish with the Sandy look.

Β 

If it were me, I wouldn't cancel my order. The finish of the Spider Tour black is a little flatter than some of the limited releases, but it's not a massive change.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post