Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• justincredible04justincredible04 Justincase1004 Members  2213WRX Points: 116Posts: 2,213 Platinum Tees
    I finally got to use all of the irons in today’s round. The distance was great and the feel/sound was even better. I can’t believe it’s hollow. Anyway, the most notable thing was how much I wanted to hit 4, 5, and 6. It’s a combination of the hot face, loft, and length of the club that just makes these clubs so easy to elevate. I can’t explain it. I haven’t had as much joy hitting irons in quite some time.

I think what some people are getting with fliers is inconsistency with quality strikes, particularly with the longer clubs. Because of the feel, a mishit feels a lot better than it used to feel from a similar sized iron and I think when people hit a flushed iron that is their optimal distance. For example going into a par 5 I had a distance that would always be a hybrid but I trusted the math and hit a perfect 4 iron, or so I thought. So even tho my line was true and on a rope, it was a little bit shorter than I anticipated but still longer than an AP2 4 iron. So I thought it felt great, but it may have another 10 yards in that club.

The only issues now is that the long irons basically almost go as far as my hybrid and I already carry a 5W so I don’t know what I’ll do. There is a big gap between my 790 AW and my MG 54. Maybe I’ll just take out a long iron and get a 52 degree wedge? That just seems like overkill tho. If you get a full set be prepared to mess with the gaps on the bottom of your bag. I can’t imagine carrying 5 wedges, but may experiment.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hookie25hookie25 Members  59WRX Points: 46Handicap: 6.0Posts: 59 Bunkers
    Not being negative about the irons performance, I do indeed like the way they perform. Just asked about wearing on the face, IMO they show excessive wear or the amount of time used...

Just chill the heck out....
    Posted:
  • 2Bad4u2Bad4u Members  212WRX Points: 20Handicap: 16.0Posts: 212 Fairways
    Sef wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

This thread just goes to show you, its all about individual fitting(s) because one person can't tolerate them and takes the hit by unloading them used, and the next guy comes here saying they cant get enough of them. Although it seems to be 2:1 or 3:1 against and NOT happy with them. I think I will to wait until they get the kinks worked out so I'll just stick with my Srixons that give me precise yardages, distance, and forgiveness.

I don't have any skin in this game.

But I do not that someone that isn't happy with a product or service is far more likely to be vociferous about it than someone who is happy. It's the first rule of customer service in any business.

From my perspective the 2 UDI is a fantastic club, the HZRDUS 85 was the recipient of all of my complaints. I have ordered one with steel and I expect it to feel much better.

I questioned the QC because many of the complaints are from people who were fit for their clubs. If the lofts are gapped correctly and they are seeing “fliers” there are really only a few options.

1. They don’t notice the wind or grass behind the ball. This is unlikely.

2. They are horrible ball strikers and think their rare solid shots are fliers. This is also unlikely given their handicaps and the fact almost no one is that bad of a ball striker.

3. QC is an issue and some individual irons out there do have “hot spots”, hotter faces than usual, or are somehow internally weighted incorrectly so as to result in very low spin with a particular iron in the set.

4. People are mistaking a “players distance” iron for a GI iron. Something like a G400 may not be as long as P790 but front to back dispersion is tighter because you lose fewer yards on off center hits. This is partially because you have fewer yards to lose, not because the P790 isn’t forgiving. Due to the center of the face being much hotter than around the perimeter on a hollow iron the drop in CT is greater as you work away from the middle. This is true of any high CT club. Think about the distance loss of a when you mis-hit the driver. That is the extreme of case but serves as a good point of reference. I can say 100% I lose 20 yards with the UDI if I catch it a little thin. With a traditional iron the center is not as hot so there is less speed to lose as you work away from center. Hopefully this makes sense.

I would say #4 is most likely as it seems people don’t fully understand the drawbacks of very high core in a smallish clubhead. This would also explain why a +1 handicap would have never noticed this issue.

Edit** I am not basing this 100% on the P790, but also on T-MB, CF16, and other high CT irons that have received numerous complains about fliers.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a CT club/iron ???
    Posted:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Pioneer Bag
    Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 R-Flex
    Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
    Ping G400 4h, 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex
    Ping G700 7-PW, UW, SW, Recoil 780 ES F3 SmacWrap
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]˚ & 64˚, Recoil 760 ES F3 SmacWrap[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Sigma G D66 | Sigma G Tyne Putters
    Snell MTB Black | MTB Red (Yellow), Golf Pride MCC+4 Grips
    Seamus Headcovers, Clicgear 3.5+ Cart, Leupold GX-4i2 Rangefinder [/font]
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob Member of the 1 iron Club! Members  4631WRX Points: 524Posts: 4,631 Titanium Tees
    2Bad4u wrote:

Sef wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

This thread just goes to show you, its all about individual fitting(s) because one person can't tolerate them and takes the hit by unloading them used, and the next guy comes here saying they cant get enough of them. Although it seems to be 2:1 or 3:1 against and NOT happy with them. I think I will to wait until they get the kinks worked out so I'll just stick with my Srixons that give me precise yardages, distance, and forgiveness.

I don't have any skin in this game.

But I do not that someone that isn't happy with a product or service is far more likely to be vociferous about it than someone who is happy. It's the first rule of customer service in any business.

From my perspective the 2 UDI is a fantastic club, the HZRDUS 85 was the recipient of all of my complaints. I have ordered one with steel and I expect it to feel much better.

I questioned the QC because many of the complaints are from people who were fit for their clubs. If the lofts are gapped correctly and they are seeing “fliers” there are really only a few options.

1. They don’t notice the wind or grass behind the ball. This is unlikely.

2. They are horrible ball strikers and think their rare solid shots are fliers. This is also unlikely given their handicaps and the fact almost no one is that bad of a ball striker.

3. QC is an issue and some individual irons out there do have “hot spots”, hotter faces than usual, or are somehow internally weighted incorrectly so as to result in very low spin with a particular iron in the set.

4. People are mistaking a “players distance” iron for a GI iron. Something like a G400 may not be as long as P790 but front to back dispersion is tighter because you lose fewer yards on off center hits. This is partially because you have fewer yards to lose, not because the P790 isn’t forgiving. Due to the center of the face being much hotter than around the perimeter on a hollow iron the drop in CT is greater as you work away from the middle. This is true of any high CT club. Think about the distance loss of a when you mis-hit the driver. That is the extreme of case but serves as a good point of reference. I can say 100% I lose 20 yards with the UDI if I catch it a little thin. With a traditional iron the center is not as hot so there is less speed to lose as you work away from center. Hopefully this makes sense.

I would say #4 is most likely as it seems people don’t fully understand the drawbacks of very high core in a smallish clubhead. This would also explain why a +1 handicap would have never noticed this issue.

Edit** I am not basing this 100% on the P790, but also on T-MB, CF16, and other high CT irons that have received numerous complains about fliers.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a CT club/iron ???

http://wishongolf.com/technology/tech-faqs/

Characteristic Time...related to COR (coefficent of restitution)
    Posted:

TITLEIST TS4 Driver, 9.5*, JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA, 69g X
    CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X/Ventus Black w/velocore, 65g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Ventus Black w/velocore, 78g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
    TAYLORMADE SIM MAX HYBRID, #3, 19*, Nippon Modus GOST Hybrid, 102X
    TAYLORMADE P790 UDI, #2, 18*, Nippon Modus GOST Hybrid, 102X
    TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 4 - P, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    PXG GEN2 0311X Black, #4 DI, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    PXG GEN3 0311T, 4 - P, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    PXG GEN3 0311 MILLED SUGAR DADDY, 50/10, DG AMT TOUR WHITE, x100
    VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 54/10F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
    BETTINARDI 20 Limited Edition Queen B #5 Black Series Putter, w/QB Black HC
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Carbon CircleT HC
    NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black
    SUN MOUNTAIN 20 Tour Series Bag, Black
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Black

• Micrys2Micrys2 Members  521WRX Points: 102Posts: 521 Golden Tee
    These irons have produced a great experience for me. Last weekend I shot two under. It has been MANY years since this has happened. I am now 66 YO so obviously didn’t play the tips, but played at 6,400 yards. I am a firm believer that iron play is essential to a great round. This included a double on one of the par fours. If I had a grip and this isn’t much of one, it would be that the peak height seems a little low, but that could be user interface. All and all GREAT set of irons. And yes, probably the best I have ever played. Probably not for playa’s who are high ss golfers due to potential gaps at the bottom of the bag, but for all us regular joes they are really, really supurb.
    Posted:
  • ladahlladahl Members  6916WRX Points: 148Handicap: 6.7Posts: 6,916 Titanium Tees
    So after buying a set of 0311 irons, I bought a set of the P790 irons, sold my PXG 0311's

Later bought a set of combo 5,6 0311, 0311T 7,8,9,W and shafted them with Accra 100i shafts and advent looked back- Sold my P790's

That said, the P790's are AWESOME sticks!

I'm intrigued to see/try the Ping i500's next image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> in person

sidenote: I really wish PXG would make a Gap wedge in the T line (not the milled that currently offer). Then they would be perfection!
    Posted:
    PXG Gen2 0811X PX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60X
    '16 TM M2 16.5* HL Veylix Rome 888 
    Callaway Mavrick #3H KBS Proto 85
    PXG 0311X Black #4 KBS Proto 95
    PXG 0311 Black 5/6/7 0311T Black 8/9/W Aerotech SteelFiber 95 S
    SM8 Jet Black 50* ; SM7 Jet Black 54* & 58* TT DG Onyx S400
    PXG Operator Gen2 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Advertisement
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members  2013WRX Points: 163Posts: 2,013 Platinum Tees
    I just played a round out of buddies bag of these P790 w DG X100's and couldn't believe how long and forgiving these irons are! I was shocked that the yardage's were on apr if not better with the 6-7-8 iron than my current Mizzy JPX900 Forged set up. I could game these for sure. Have many of you forged mizen guys made this switch?

Curious itchy wallet here LOL
    Posted:

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX919F 4-9iron Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX919T PW Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers  616WRX Points: 144Handicap: 12.7Posts: 616 Golden Tee
    ladahl wrote:

So after buying a set of 0311 irons, I bought a set of the P790 irons, sold my PXG 0311's

Later bought a set of combo 5,6 0311, 0311T 7,8,9,W and shafted them with Accra 100i shafts and advent looked back- Sold my P790's

I'm intrigued to see/try the Ping i500's next image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> in person

sidenote: I really wish PXG would make a Gap wedge in the T line (not the milled that currently offer). Then they would be perfection!

What did you not like about the full set of 0311’s? I thought they were very comparable to the 790’s.....
    Posted:
    PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 3 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping i210 4-UW Modus 105s
    Ping Glide 2.0 54/58 Modus 105s
    Evnroll ER2 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • cardia10cardia10 Members  2602WRX Points: 242Posts: 2,602 Titanium Tees
    After complaining about hitting almost 200 yard 7 irons (or 6 irons based on lofts), I'm scheduled for a launch monitor fitting and loft lie check/adjustment to see what is up here. These irons may just be super hot, but bending 2* weak may not fix my gaps. I guess I could just forgo the 4,5,6 iron but that just feels wrong, but not much more wrong than a 40 yard gap between 7 and 8 iron. Hoping bending lofts can fix it as I love the look and feel of the irons.
    Posted:
  • MinaretsMinarets Nashville, TNMembers  4490WRX Points: 304Posts: 4,490 Titanium Tees
    ladahl wrote:

I too am looking at all three of these models. Was kinda dead set on 0311 just because my wife gave the go ahead. Yup, I gotta check with her! But she offered to get fit for Father’s Day. But then started to think of I went with 790 I could get a new driver and hybrids and wedges for the cost of the PXG irons. Then I saw these Ping i500. I just chose a Maltby PTM in black with some Xcaliber shafts about 3 months ago and have been very pleased. The shafts were needed as my tennis elbow has gotten to “needs surgery” point.

I will hit all 3 once the i500 have made it out and go from there. But likely will carry a hire price with recoil or Steelfibers in whatever I get.
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5*
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-PW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, Taylormade Bigfoot Hi-Toe 60*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green) (something new is coming, cant decide.)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X
  • Axman55Axman55 Members  366WRX Points: 70Posts: 366 Greens
    I don't think this has been mentioned enough but these are extremely low spin irons. Every review I've watch on YouTube shows very low spin numbers. If your a low spin player and hit one a grove low or get some grass between the face and ball it's gonzo. I am a high spin player and my results have been outstanding. I've had 6 sets of irons in the last 2 years and I have zero desire to try anything else after being fitted for the P790s.
    Posted:
    Mavrik SZ 9* Rogue Silver 60TX
    Mavrik SZ 13.5 Rogue white 80X
    Apex Tour Issue 16.5* Hybrid  Accra TZ6 85 M5
    MP 20HMB 3 iron TT Tour Issue X100
    MP 20MMC 5-PW MMC TT Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 50F, 56S, 60L TT Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport

Advertisement
  • venturagolfer87venturagolfer87 Golfing is harder with a fro. Members  1353WRX Points: 111Handicap: 5.9Posts: 1,353 Platinum Tees
    I've had these irons for about two months. Looking at the specs, I was a bit confused by the loft progression (PW is 1* stronger than standard, 9 iron is 2* stronger, etc.). The club that has honestly given me the most fits has been the 7 iron. Just last week, I had 161 yards into a solid wind. A "normal" full swing with this club has been consistently getting me to the 165-170 mark on the course. I decide to hit a punch 7, my follow through doesn't even make it to my shoulders, and the ball acts almost as if it's downwind, and ends up going about 175, barely catching the back of the green. This happened again on a punch 9 iron later in the round. I understand that these are meant to be a hotter player's iron, already lower spinning than normal, so a punch shot is pretty much asking for a flier. I'm going to have the lofts changed to basically be 1* stronger than a standard (think Mizuno) loft gapping and see if that normalizes things a bit. I'm thinking just getting a bit more launch and spin will help control these a bit more consistently
    Posted:
    WITB 2019
    - F8+ 10.5*, Kuro Kage Silver DC TiNi 60
    -2017 M2 3HL, Rulz Type A 70
    -MP H5 2 iron, PX 6.0
    -F6+ Hybrid, S+ 80
    -Srixon z585 5, z785 6-7, z-Forged 8-PW, PX LZ 5.5
    -50/54/58 Cleveland RTX 4 Mid, PX 6.0
    -Cushman Custom Golf C&C #2
    -Srixon Z-Star XV
  • justincredible04justincredible04 Justincase1004 Members  2213WRX Points: 116Posts: 2,213 Platinum Tees
    evoviiiyou wrote:
    I just played a round out of buddies bag of these P790 w DG X100's and couldn't believe how long and forgiving these irons are! I was shocked that the yardage's were on apr if not better with the 6-7-8 iron than my current Mizzy JPX900 Forged set up. I could game these for sure. Have many of you forged mizen guys made this switch?

Curious itchy wallet here LOL

Raised hand �
    Posted:
  • BearQBearQ Members  3667WRX Points: 855Posts: 3,667 Titanium Tees
    Axman55 wrote:

I don't think this has been mentioned enough but these are extremely low spin irons. Every review I've watch on YouTube shows very low spin numbers. If your a low spin player and hit one a grove low or get some grass between the face and ball it's gonzo. I am a high spin player and my results have been outstanding. I've had 6 sets of irons in the last 2 years and I have zero desire to try anything else after being fitted for the P790s.

your witb is fantastic, good write up too!
    Posted:

• CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members  2113WRX Points: 158Posts: 2,113 Platinum Tees
    My index is down 4 shots since putting a full set of 790s in the bag. Now I know I cant attribute all the improvement to the irons but they are certainly a major reason for my better play. I’ve found that the 790s are terrific on mishits. Shots that formerly would have come up short due to impact high on the face or slightly off center now fly a manageable distance. In addition, I’m a high spin iron player (steep AoA) and the 790s have helped control issues with shots going into the wind. I’m currently a 7.8 index.
    Posted:
  • klbcecklbcec Members  564WRX Points: 112Posts: 564 Golden Tee

chisag wrote:

... I am not sure I have ever seen a set of irons garner so many negative comments. I have played just about every kind of iron known, including Tiger Sharks when I first started playing. I have seen none of the issues brought up on this thread. Played maybe 75 rounds with my first set and face wear was same as any other forged club I have played, and I would go so far as to say probably less. (Fwiw, I do not hit sandy range balls) I have never seen a "flier" that was not caused by outside agents like grass or wind. Gapping has been extremely consistent with the exception of a learning curve initially using my pw. As a + index, iron play is the strongest part of my game and I would not be playing P790's if any of the above were an issue for me. In contrast I find them the longest, most accurate and by a wide margin the best irons I have ever played in the 45 years I have been playing golf. I am usually already looking at new sets coming out before my current set is broken in, but the P790's have changed that. When I was in Phoenix I brought my Cobra Forged Tour irons out after playing my 790's 25 days in a row. But after 9 I went back to the car and put the 790's back in my bag and I loved the Cobra's.

... I do not post this to refute comments from those having personal issues with the P790's but I write it for those on the fence about trying them. Do not be dissuaded by the negative comments and I encourage you to demo them and then decide for yourself. They may not be for you for a myriad of reasons but you owe it to yourself to at least experience them, especially those that could use a little more distance in a players iron.

+1

As a low handicapper, I also think these irons are outstanding. The improvements I've made with my GIR is bordering on miraculous. My scores are now much more consistent which is the most important factor.

Taylormade hit a homerun with these irons. No ifs ands or buts.

My index is presently 1.6. I agree with everything in these posts. I have played Mizuno MP 33's and MP 4's, Ping S55's, and Wilson Fg V4's.

In my opinion (and I have never had any interest in trying a Taylormade product before this), these irons are the first significant advancement in irons in years. They are game changers.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • want2bprowant2bpro Members  99WRX Points: 21Posts: 99 Fairways
    wondering if anyone could help me understand this better. I was fitted and demoing clubs with swing weight D2. I wound up ordering a custom set from TM and they do not build for swing weight, and they came in C7/C8 of the p790s

What would be the differences in ball flight, and what if anything would be affected?
    Posted:
  • markonline1markonline1 Members  16WRX Points: 0Posts: 16
    chisag wrote:
    ... I am not sure I have ever seen a set of irons garner so many negative comments. I have played just about every kind of iron known, including Tiger Sharks when I first started playing. I have seen none of the issues brought up on this thread. Played maybe 75 rounds with my first set and face wear was same as any other forged club I have played, and I would go so far as to say probably less. (Fwiw, I do not hit sandy range balls) I have never seen a "flier" that was not caused by outside agents like grass or wind. Gapping has been extremely consistent with the exception of a learning curve initially using my pw. As a + index, iron play is the strongest part of my game and I would not be playing P790's if any of the above were an issue for me. In contrast I find them the longest, most accurate and by a wide margin the best irons I have ever played in the 45 years I have been playing golf. I am usually already looking at new sets coming out before my current set is broken in, but the P790's have changed that. When I was in Phoenix I brought my Cobra Forged Tour irons out after playing my 790's 25 days in a row. But after 9 I went back to the car and put the 790's back in my bag and I loved the Cobra's.

... I do not post this to refute comments from those having personal issues with the P790's but I write it for those on the fence about trying them. Do not be dissuaded by the negative comments and I encourage you to demo them and then decide for yourself. They may not be for you for a myriad of reasons but you owe it to yourself to at least experience them, especially those that could use a little more distance in a players iron.

I agree. The P790’s are fantastic clubs. I’m a 13 handicapper and iron play is probably my weakness. Played CF16’s previously and couldn’t hit them at all. The P790’s allow me to hit nice high shots (I’ve always struggled getting any sort of height on my irons), I get plenty of spin with the scoring clubs, I haven’t seen any concerning wear. I was fit for these at the Taylor Made performance studio at Poppy Hills, and I’m sure that proper fitting session has also helped me a load. These will be staying in my bag for the foreseeable future.
    Posted:
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members  3511WRX Points: 169Posts: 3,511 Titanium Tees
    hookie25 wrote:

Anybody else have excessive wearing on the face? Have wear marks on PW and 8 iron within a month and a half. I know they're soft but this is friggin' ridiculous

Pics? And give us some idea of how many rounds, range etc... that would help us understand your post & wear issues
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 S300 with ProSoft inserts, Pure Wrap grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" (Presse IV tweaked) Putter with BGT Stability shaft

Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members  1757WRX Points: 138Posts: 1,757 Platinum Tees
    want2bpro wrote:

wondering if anyone could help me understand this better. I was fitted and demoing clubs with swing weight D2. I wound up ordering a custom set from TM and they do not build for swing weight, and they came in C7/C8 of the p790s

What would be the differences in ball flight, and what if anything would be affected?

The main difference is feel. Everyone has a personal "sweet spot" at which the swingweight feels the most comfortable. Too light and you might find it hard to know where the clubhead is and also struggle to release the club fully.

That's not great on the part of TM but its a relatively easy fix. To start with you can build the weight up with some lead tape on one of the irons. If you find that you do hit the heavier iron better than the lighter set then I would ask TM in the first instance if they would add tip weights and if not get a local clubmaker to pull the shafts and do it.

This shouldn't happen, but it's a far easier fix than getting clubs that are too heavy.

Out of interest, are these standard length clubs and what shaft did you order? As I've posted before in this thread, I've been trying to pin TM down to a swingweight on a +1" build as I don't want heavier than D4. All the signs are they could achieve that and others have chimed in here saying that also agrees with their experience. My concern is simply if I drop $$s and get a set that is D6+ which would be a big issue for me
    Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2739WRX Points: 342Posts: 2,739 Titanium Tees

want2bpro wrote:

The main difference is feel. Everyone has a personal "sweet spot" at which the swingweight feels the most comfortable. Too light and you might find it hard to know where the clubhead is and also struggle to release the club fully.

That's not great on the part of TM but its a relatively easy fix. To start with you can build the weight up with some lead tape on one of the irons. If you find that you do hit the heavier iron better than the lighter set then I would ask TM in the first instance if they would add tip weights and if not get a local clubmaker to pull the shafts and do it.

This shouldn't happen, but it's a far easier fix than getting clubs that are too heavy.

Out of interest, are these standard length clubs and what shaft did you order? As I've posted before in this thread, I've been trying to pin TM down to a swingweight on a +1" build as I don't want heavier than D4. All the signs are they could achieve that and others have chimed in here saying that also agrees with their experience. My concern is simply if I drop $$s and get a set that is D6+ which would be a big issue for me

Don't know if any help but was inquiring about p730s and was told Taylormade have two heads - normal and lighter, that was all they did for swing weight. +1/2 would get normal heads, +1 would get lighter heads, that was in emails with discount dans.
    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Artisan 46*, 50* C taper X
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Advertisement
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members  1757WRX Points: 138Posts: 1,757 Platinum Tees

want2bpro wrote:

Don't know if any help but was inquiring about p730s and was told Taylormade have two heads - normal and lighter, that was all they did for swing weight. +1/2 would get normal heads, +1 would get lighter heads, that was in emails with discount dans.

Thanks - it's strange, they confirm they have lighter heads but seem reluctant to divulge what swingweight they can build to with them. It's only from feedback here that it appears possible to

Mizuno can tell you a swingweight range they can target based on your exact proposed spec. TM can't get that if they build me a set at D6 I don't want them, at a maximum of D4 and ideally D3 they can take my money now!
    Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2739WRX Points: 342Posts: 2,739 Titanium Tees

Thanks - it's strange, they confirm they have lighter heads but seem reluctant to divulge what swingweight they can build to with them. It's only from feedback here that it appears possible to

Mizuno can tell you a swingweight range they can target based on your exact proposed spec. TM can't get that if they build me a set at D6 I don't want them, at a maximum of D4 and ideally D3 they can take my money now!

I did not order TM irons due to that. I want D4 at +1/2 inch and If I am paying lots of money then I want that.

Second hand or see what comes out in the next couple of months for me.
    Posted:
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
    Here is the wear on the pw and 8i, estimate on rounds is 20 an decent amount of range time
    Posted:
    hookie25 wrote:

Here is the wear on the pw and 8i, estimate on rounds is 20 an decent amount of range time

Wow that is not good. I'm assuming it is range balls that have done most of the damage?
    Posted:
    wow that is some wear!

hope my 2 iron doesn't end up like that. I just put back in my bag my 2010 Scratch SB1s that I used for 5 seasons and they don't have that wear.
    Posted:
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Advertisement
    I have a set of Callaway RAZR MB's that I've had for 3 or 4 years and the wear isn't even close to that. It's pretty disappointing on the 790' but it is just wear marks as the grooves are still good....
    Posted:
  • csmithvtcsmithvt Members  85WRX Points: 23Posts: 85 Fairways
    dlarocca1 wrote:
    SMUGamer wrote:
    I don't have any skin in this game. But I do not that someone that isn't happy with a product or service is far more likely to be vociferous about it than someone who is happy. It's the first rule of customer service in any business.
    That is true I bet there is a bunch of guys out there started reading this thread that have them and love them and just said moving on. I have heard nothing but good things about the p790s up until I start reading this thread. Hit what you like

It's weird. When this thread was in the 70s for page count people couldn't get enough of them and everyone was clamoring on about how backordered they were and how impatient they were getting in the wait. Now it's mostly complaints. I love mine now that I'm working out the feel differences from my previous set.

But, as others have noted, there's a reason Yelp, facebook reviews and google reviews are hard to use. People complain when they get terrible service but don't go out of their way to praise when the service is great. I've reviewed a few places online specifically because of this but know that I've gone out of my way for far more places to warn people of places that are a nightmare.
    Posted:
    Titleist 917D2 - Mitsubishi Diamana LTD White
    Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Long- Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 70
    TaylorMade AeroBurner 19*- Matrix Speed RUL-Z 70
    TaylorMade P790 4-AW - Project X 6.0
    Callaway MD3 54* - Dynamic Gold S300
    Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 60* - Dynamic Gold S300
    Nike Method Matter - B2|05
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
    Sun Mountain 4.5 LS Stand bag (USA edition)
  • want2bprowant2bpro Members  99WRX Points: 21Posts: 99 Fairways

want2bpro wrote:

i ordered standard length with modus 130s shafts. i complained to TM and they cannot (won't) build for a swing weight but do of course say each club should be uniform.

i also have midsize grips which probably affects SW too

FWIW, a pro i use told me i have the "tour heads" which i believe are lighter
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.