ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

LondonerLondoner Advanced Members Posts: 1,166
This is not intended as a bashing thread. We have all had rounds where it felt like our first.

But I thought pros had some level of constistency cracked.

Ric hit 41 over for 3 rounds in a pro am on a 6300 yard course.

The winner was +2.

How does a pro unravel like that?
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

Comments

• caniac6caniac6 Advanced Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭
    Probably testing some clubs.
  • DixieDDixieD Advanced Members Posts: 158
    Is that Rick's score or his team score? If that is his personal score, ****, he should never be seen on the tube again!
  • DBillDBill Advanced Members Posts: 1,102 ✭✭
    If only he signed a deal with Titleist, then complained about manufacturers not sending new equipment to test, he probably would have won.
  • Cornwall1888Cornwall1888 Advanced Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    He’s simply not very good, that’s why he makes money from YouTube and sponsors, not playing golf. He’s probably a 2 or 3 handicap who had a terrible week

He shot 88 in the first round!!!!

pete finch faired much better, he was +2 in round 1 i believe

There must be a lot of pressure and embarrassment shooting scores like that when your supposed to be an authority on golf and have a huge audience, he’s probably more well known than most European tour players

Good youtube videos, decent coach, tournament golf not so much

DBill wrote:

If only he signed a deal with Titleist, then complained about manufacturers not sending new equipment to test, he probably would have won.

Mark is very petty isn’t he haha
  • StumpnavStumpnav Advanced Members Posts: 132
    I think Rick spends most of his time at the range using his launch monitor and not enough on the course. He knows how to play swing but not how to play golf. Doesn't diminish his instructional ability or the enjoyment of his channel.
    Epic 9.0 T800
    Callaway 816 3W
    Mizuno CLK 19*
    (or Callaway UT XForged 18*)
    Callaway XForged 4-6
    Callaway MB 7-A
    Callaway MD3 Forged 56, 60
    Odyssey RSX001
    Chrome Soft X 18
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.
  • LondonerLondoner Advanced Members Posts: 1,166
    DixieD wrote:

Is that Rick's score or his team score? If that is his personal score, ****, he should never be seen on the tube again!

His score.
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.

I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Advanced Members Posts: 6,816
    Hmmm. He talked about a recent round at TPC Sawgrass and shot a pretty good score. It must have been snow with 30mph winds for him to shoot that score. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Titleist 917D3 9.5 Fujikura Tour Spec 74 Stiff
    Titleist 917F2 15* Project X 75 Stiff
    Titleist 910H 19* Project X 6.0
    Titleist 910H 23 Project X 6.0
    Titleist 714MB DGS300 4-9
    Titleist Vokey 48 54 60
    Titleist Scotty Futura 34
  • Merkury10Merkury10 Advanced Members Posts: 130
    All pros can have a stinker like that. We just aren’t watching them on Sunday. They either missed the cut or played the early tee time not televised. I agree with what was said earlier. I suspect he spends the majority of his time in the hitting bay and not out trying to shoot low scores. Rory 5 putted this weekend, and he’s no Rory. But I bet he is a good guy!
    Merkury10 wrote:

All pros can have a stinker like that. We just aren’t watching them on Sunday. They either missed the cut or played the early tee time not televised. I agree with what was said earlier. I suspect he spends the majority of his time in the hitting bay and not out trying to shoot low scores. Rory 5 putted this weekend, and he’s no Rory. But I bet he is a good guy!

Im sure hes a good guy. I enjoy his material, been a subscriber for ages. Ive also played many of the courses he posts vlogs from, which makes it even more interesting.

As i said its not a bash, just surprised and disappointed for the guy.
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    Londoner wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.

Okay, so is this or isn't it a bash? Your responses haven't really seemed to provide much in the way of support. Let's have a "get 'em next time, Rick!"
  • flog2flog2 Advanced Members Posts: 2,161
    get em next time Rick (sp OP)

Wonder if he'll qualify for the Open this year or not?
  • OutlierOutlier OUTLIER Advanced Members Posts: 1,194
    Really enjoy his review videos, he appears to have a serviceable swing. A "stinker" round happens....but to average 14 over on the same course 3 consecutive days surprises me.

get em next time Rick (sp OP)

Wonder if he'll qualify for the Open this year or not?

LOL.
  • stixmanstixman Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I Advanced Members Posts: 1,822
    Maybe he was out with the hickories....it can be tough 1st time out!
    Vintage various.
  • 03trdblack03trdblack ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,805 ClubWRX
    Outlier wrote:

Really enjoy his review videos, he appears to have a serviceable swing. A "stinker" round happens....but to average 14 over on the same course 3 consecutive days surprises me.

Serviceable swing but his chipping and putting are pretty bad. He's a driving range pro that lives on the GCQuad instead of on the practice green.
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Advanced Members Posts: 2,662 ✭✭
    now i am really worried about all the internet swing gurus...so many of them creep up from everywhere and off we go with their latest craze.
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Nike Vapor Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • mdhacker123mdhacker123 Advanced Members Posts: 687
    Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives
    driver callaway xhot 2 8.5 S
    irons: callaway xhot 2 4-aw
    Hybrid: Baffler 19deg
    3wood callaway xhot
    putter: Ping scottsdale 2
    wedges: taylormade atv 52 56
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Advanced Members Posts: 4,797
    Rick 100% has a vanity cap. He plays terribly in a lot of his vlogs. He said he had a great back 9 at sawgrass and had 4 birdies, but in his video he didn' make a single putt. Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water. He also got an 8 on 18.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Londoner wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Okay, so is this or isn't it a bash? Your responses haven't really seemed to provide much in the way of support. Let's have a "get 'em next time, Rick!"

I dont know how else to say it. I like Ric, its not a bash.

It's just that in my experience lower handicap usually equates to more consistency. Thats the question.

Ric played to 17 handicap on each of the 1st 2 days. One of my regular playing partners, for 20 years, plays off 7. Ive never seen him play to 17.
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60

Rick 100% has a vanity cap. He plays terribly in a lot of his vlogs. He said he had a great back 9 at sawgrass and had 4 birdies, but in his video he didn' make a single putt. Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water. He also got an 8 on 18.

I saw that vlog and i agree, the video certainly didnt support the dialogue.
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • North ButteNorth Butte Advanced Members Posts: 9,755 ✭✭
    Could anyone look at his videos and imagine he’s a good player? He has decent clubhead speed and a reasonably repeatable swing, no short game and doesn’t putt well. He’s like a longer hitting version of a bunch of 5-6 handicappers I play with.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

Could anyone look at his videos and imagine he’s a good player? He has decent clubhead speed and a reasonably repeatable swing, no short game and doesn’t putt well. He’s like a longer hitting version of a bunch of 5-6 handicappers I play with.

I agree with that North but have you seen the 5-6 guys you play with score +17 in consecutive rounds, on a 6,300 yard track?
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
    Londoner wrote:

I agree with that North but have you seen the 5-6 guys you play with score +17 in consecutive rounds, on a 6,300 yard track?

Maybe on their worst week of the year. Maybe.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • TPG1971TPG1971 Don't Get Rolled Advanced Members Posts: 953 ✭✭
    He should have had RPryor on the bag to give him tips and advice.
    PING G30 9.5 [font=arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(255, 255, 0)]Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 Stiff[/background][/font]
    Titleist 917F 16.5 Diamana Blue Stiff
    Wilson Staff C300 Hybrid 23 Fujikura Pro78 Stiff
    Irons TBD.
    RTX-3 50 bent to 51 DG Ti Onyx S400
    RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
    RTX-3 60 bent to 59 DG Ti Onyx S400
    Cameron 009
    Londoner wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Londoner wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

I dont know how else to say it. I like Ric, its not a bash.

It's just that in my experience lower handicap usually equates to more consistency. Thats the question.

Ric played to 17 handicap on each of the 1st 2 days. One of my regular playing partners, for 20 years, plays off 7. Ive never seen him play to 17.

I don't get how some are suggesting vanity cap, whatever handicap he has is taken from the comps he plays in (not sure this one would count for his system) and he's posted up his scores in the area tournaments he's played in, so whatever handicap he has should be legit.

I would bet if it was June-August you'd see more consistency, but he's not grinding practice during the winter and hardly has decent conditions to play in back home.

Now are there teaching pros I know who can play a lot better than that even though hardly playing? You bet.

Still say he's on vacation (he took the wife and kids), totally rusty and hasn't put in any real work since probably early November, if that.

I don't have any expectations for him, though I enjoy him, so I guess it's not an issue for me.
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Advanced Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭
    Man, I've always loved Rick as person and internet personality. He's very charming and fun, and is super easy to watch for 20 minutes at a time. His reviews are quality. But I was wondering if a thread like this was going to pop up. Saw him tweet that he finished "dead last", and just was shocked. Maybe he would have done better playing with only a 7-iron the whole time?

Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water.

Glad I'm not the only one that caught that. Walking off the green he said "We made 4 good pars there," when his first putt was just pounded way past the hole. I really have a hard time believing he made his comeback putt for par.

But as far as his tournament score goes, in his defense, he has been doing different types of club reviews now. Every practice round he's had recently he has switched drivers between the front and back 9's. Out of 5-6 rounds, he's used at least 3 different drivers. Probably hard to get consistency off the tee when you're swapping between so many different clubs.
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

I don't get how some are suggesting vanity cap, whatever handicap he has is taken from the comps he plays in (not sure this one would count for his system) and he's posted up his scores in the area tournaments he's played in, so whatever handicap he has should be legit.

Well in his intro video before the tournament began, he claimed he doesn't even have a handicap, because he's a Pro. (Which doesn't even make any sense).

pQfbN8U.png

Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Advanced Members Posts: 4,962 ✭✭
    jacobEDGE wrote:
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Well in his intro video before the tournament began, he claimed he doesn't even have a handicap, because he's a Pro. (Which doesn't even make any sense).

pQfbN8U.png

Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?

Alot pros dont
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)

jacobEDGE wrote:
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

pQfbN8U.png

Alot pros dont

Thanks and there you are - he apparently doesn't.

Having said that, it's not hard to search his event results for those that are curious. Some good, some not good - inconsistent as you might expect.
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Advanced Members Posts: 1,770
    Stumpnav wrote:

I think Rick spends most of his time at the range using his launch monitor and not enough on the course. He knows how to play swing but not how to play golf. Doesn't diminish his instructional ability or the enjoyment of his channel.

100% this. For a long time it's been clear that he knows very little about the facts of golf. For a year he's worked with Dan Whittaker and in the studio his numbers look good yet on course his results have been horrible. And he hasn't made the connection.
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,102 ClubWRX
    Londoner wrote:

This is not intended as a bashing thread. We have all had rounds where it felt like our first.

But I thought pros had some level of constistency cracked.

Ric hit 41 over for 3 rounds in a pro am on a 6300 yard course.

The winner was +2.

How does a pro unravel like that?

If you have played much tournament golf you'd understand how it happened. Golf and tournament golf don't have much in common. Probably hasn't been playing much when the wheels fell off. He also might be injured too.
  • isaacbmisaacbm Advanced Members Posts: 3,269 ✭✭
    Not that it matters much, But it was 6300 meters at sea level which is 6900 yards...

Probably the priority this week.

https://www.instagra...y=rickshielspga
  • tyorke1tyorke1 Advanced Members Posts: 2,132 ✭✭
    If playing golf is not your living then we are all capable of bad weeks . Also how many tourny's has he played this year and when you know the internet world is watching then it might be hard to focus on golf. I would be really surprised if other tourny golfers would criticize how anyone played a weekend and certainly no offence to higher caps or non tourny players but these are the ones usually criticizing. I missed the cut at nationals that was for me 9rds in nine days after losing a tourny by a shot the previous 4 days and all some people could say is did you choke were you nervous, the fact that I played 9rds in nine days and 3 months later would get a total hip replacement , no the only thing was that they couldn't understand the 79-77. Rick is excellent at what he does , I enjoy his video's and I could care less what his tourny scores are, his swing looks just fine.
    m3 9.5 v2 proforce ,
    callaway rogue sub zero 10.5 rogue 60x ,
    m2 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x ,
    816 h1 hybrid 19 degree ,speeder tour spec
    taylor p790 17 degree
    callaway apex pro 6.5 pro x
    vokey 52--56--60
    taylormade spider tour dj versionr
    epic green staff bag or titleist cart bag
    Man, #9 really tore Rick a new one this weekend. Par 4, and he went triple bogey, triple bogey, double bogey. +8 on one hole alone.

Not to mention, only 2 birdies after 54 holes of golf probably doesn't help much either.

For those of you that are curious and haven't looked it up, his three rounds were 88, 88, and 79. He double bogey'd the finishing hole of the tournament to shoot that 79.

+41 for the tournament, with the closest competitor to him coming in at +34.
    Meanwhile, Peter Finch came in at solo 7th, with rounds of 75, 78, 72.
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Advanced Members Posts: 3,695 ✭✭
    He’s just not that good of a golfer. It’s one of the reasons I’ve mentioned here about why I don’t get why people give merit to his “professional” reviews.

To those of you apologists defending Rick saying family was his priority and he has had different drivers in the bag, etc. Im a professional, I have 3 boys under 8, haven’t touched a club due to injury in 4 months, and change my equipment frequently. I get clearance to play next week, and I guarantee I can shoot better than 80, let alone 88. I carry a handicap. Mine is in the plus range, which is why I can shoot better than 88. You may notice Rick never sniffs at breaking par in his highly controlled vlogs, which are usually played from the middle tees. That should tell you something.

Watch Rick’s stuff for entertainment, but don’t fool yourself into thinking he’s a player. By the way, his ability to hit golf balls all day every day using a GCQuad is a reason why he should be shooting low scores, not high scores. He plays A LOT of golf.

Also, if I hear Peter Finch say one more time that tour pros are better than him because of short game, I may lose my ever loving mind.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
    Also, he's definitely not a "hack". I think he's just not been focusing on tournament golf as of late. Here are his stats from 2016.

XoXsR9i.png

Making 11 cuts from 12 events. Averaging 72.4 in tournament conditions. Yeah, I doubt many people on here can do the same.
    edited February 2018
    I'm not sure mentioning that he is on a family vacation makes me an "apologist" - I don't have any dog in the fight of whether he plays well or not. But among lessons, obligations, filming vlogs, reviews, editing, you name it, those guys aren't having the luxury of hitting golf balls all day long or practicing much. Not making excuses, but their focus is on their content, giving lessons and other business matters related to their channels and I think there is a lot more that goes into what they are doing than one might think. I have no doubt there are any number of folks who play to a certain standard that can be busy with whatever and go out and play better golf and probably a lot of plus handicaps on here that may be able to do that and I'm sure Powdered can back up his abilities, no reason to think otherwise. Shiels has some decent results when he does take the time to focus and actually play real golf, just don't see that anybody is making him out to be a lot more than what he is - his tournament results are out there for all to see and be judged however someone wants to judge them. Just a different way of getting golf out there and has a huge following that I'm sure is more a positive influence on the game than otherwise.

Now that Crossfield guy! Just kidding.
    I think about the few good players I’ve known, the ones who can generally be around par or better from the way-back tees in tournament or big-$$$ situations. And I try to imagine how much time these YouTube “celebrities” must put in setting up, recording, editing, posting and responding to reader feedback in order to keep the content flowing.

Surely those two things just can’t go together along with some sort of day job or straight job, whatever they do for a regular salary.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,218 ✭✭

He’s simply not very good, that’s why he makes money from YouTube and sponsors, not playing golf. He’s probably a 2 or 3 handicap who had a terrible week

He shot 88 in the first round!!!!

pete finch faired much better, he was +2 in round 1 i believe

There must be a lot of pressure and embarrassment shooting scores like that when your supposed to be an authority on golf and have a huge audience, he’s probably more well known than most European tour players

Good youtube videos, decent coach, tournament golf not so much

DBill wrote:

Mark is very petty isn’t he haha

99% of “ authorities on golf “ couldn’t break 80 if their lives depended on it. So he’s middle of the road for his profession.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Merkury10Merkury10 Advanced Members Posts: 130
    Londoner wrote:
    Merkury10 wrote:

Im sure hes a good guy. I enjoy his material, been a subscriber for ages. Ive also played many of the courses he posts vlogs from, which makes it even more interesting.

As i said its not a bash, just surprised and disappointed for the guy.

Agreed. I’m also a subscriber. I guess what I was saying was, not that he was being bashed, but I just wasn’t surprised.
  • rockinarrockinar Advanced Members Posts: 2,150
    Dude is a driving range pro. Probably a 7 handicap at best.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,132 ClubWRX
    jacobEDGE wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

pQfbN8U.png

My usual group of playing partners are 4 pga pros from my area... none carry handicaps because they are pros. When pros sign up for tournament, they don't ask for handicaps so why have one...
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Speeder 757 Evo ii X<br />Taylormade M1 (2017) 3 wood w/Aldila Tour Blue 75x<br />Mizuno MP18 flihi 3 iron <br />Mizuno MP18 SC 4-pw KBS Tour<br />Taylormade High Toe 52/58 wedges <br />Scotty Cameron 5.5m
    edited February 2018
    rockinar wrote:

Dude is a driving range pro. Probably a 7 handicap at best.

A little better than that, lol. http://www.pga.info/...he-picture.aspx

And his 76 in Open Qualifying wasn't all that bad last year, and miles ahead of what a 7 handicap would have shot.

Like them, don't like them, but not enough respect for people figuring out a way to make a living playing golf/teaching golf/bringing some exposure to the game. They are as wrx as most of us.

For me, it's entertaining and that's enough. Nobody forces anyone to click that play button.
  • LoveGLoveG Advanced Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    his game is very one dimensional. Finch has a lot more game and a lot more shots in the arsenal. You can tell how Finch likes to practice just by watching his channel compared to Rick's.
  • DJGainerDJGainer Advanced Members Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Isn’t it possible he either didn’t take the tournament seriously or realized his game was off and just played to get through? I’ve seen plenty of well known tour players have a bad Thursday and they basically blow through Friday to get off the course.
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Advanced Members Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Who is this guy? What am I missing about a guy who thinks he's a tour pro? Doesn't every club have like 5 of them?
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two