Where is the tell tale sign of getting aged. ( in golf ).

Comments

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members  4370WRX Points: 386Posts: 4,370 Titanium Tees

WK, reading through your lament on the old clubs not performing as they once did and trying to come up with meaningful commentary to add.

As I've gotten older (currently 66.75), find that determining the proper shaft to the new reality makes a big difference. A strong preference for LW (sub 100g) , tip soft steel shafts is now the order of the day. Swinging anything like TTDG is to fatiguing over the course of a round. And is something of a necessity do to playing lengths longer than standard (working off a 38" 7 iron). Helps in decreasing the overall club weight. Separate from SW issues. And I've not needed to go the graphite route. No ailments or joint afflictions that require it, and most graphites (without paying a premium for the weight) are to light. For a well seasoned golfer, I'm a fan of Nippon 950's. Smooth, light weight, tip soft to aid in trajectory and a less 'boardy' feel. You may find that they can be played in S easier and more effectively than heavier, tip stiff shafts in R.

I understand the fact that one does not choose to reshaft certain classic irons. I have my fair share in inventory. They are not worth the bother or are best left original. But there are certain ones that have redeeming qualities that I like to play with regularity. And they become a candidate for installing suitable shafts to make them playable on a long term basis.

Thanks, I will give the NP 950 another try if I could scrap up some extra fund. It used to be too whippy and gets nowhere with too high a trajectory. Had a couple of sets which I sold the shaft to someone else. This will teach me to think ahead and not to get rid of stuff which might not work at the current time.

Currently have a set of XP95, in regular flex and 1/2" over std length. might give that another try. For some reason I did not like it in the past. Could add tip weights on these if I get to them.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members  3509WRX Points: 275Posts: 3,509 Titanium Tees
    Bagging a chipper.

High end push cart

New High end electric push cart

Adams gear sadness

Two ball retrievers, one broken

Putting glasses

Genuine wife knitted head covers

Signed Lanny Watkins ball in den

Wilson Harmonized wedge believer

Pinnacle is magic!

Gloves for both hands
    Posted:

tm sldr tp aeroburner flihi pcb tours sm7 wh#6

Bagging a chipper.

High end push cart

Adams gear sadness

Putting glasses

Pinnacle is magic!

Gloves for both hands

Have not bagged a chipper, yet. Never like it.

Do have a nice push cart and the motorized push cart is in the near future, love to walk while I still can.

I do bag several Adams hybrid, love them. Until I found better replacement , they're staying put.

No putting glasses, although my kid had suggested for me to screen for peripheral vision as a precaution .

I do have knitted head covers, purchased, wife still work full time so not interested in knitting for my golf habit.

No signed golf balls from Lanny, and what's that got to do with feeling the age ?

Believe it or not, I do have a Wilson Harmonized wedge , BeCu 56° which I picked up new and only used a few times.

I am using softer golf balls in the Winter and will try to go back to a premium golf ball in the Summer.

Have not used two gloves for the hands, even in Winter. Hand warmer were put in use in recent years.

Although, I had noticed wrinkled skin, even in my hands. That's so true with age.
    Posted:
    Have not done work-out with weights since my last injury about 2 1/2 years ago. Tried to do the squat and upper body stretch with a pair of 5 lb. dumbbell.

Knees were shacking ( where I could have done the same squat with 3 minutes sets before the injury ) and when I move my arms with the 5 lb. weights I could hear my joints popping along the movements......... SIGH.
    Posted:
  • jslane57jslane57 Members  3929WRX Points: 27Handicap: <5Posts: 3,929 Titanium Tees

Bagging a chipper.

High end push cart

Adams gear sadness

Putting glasses

Pinnacle is magic!

Gloves for both hands
    Thinking, "how cool would it be to have a signed Lanny Watkins ball in my den!
    Posted:
    jslane57 wrote:

Bagging a chipper.

High end push cart

Adams gear sadness

Putting glasses

Pinnacle is magic!

Gloves for both hands
    Thinking, "how cool would it be to have a signed Lanny Watkins ball in my den!

Priceless, to the proud owner !
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Chris122Chris122 Banned  611WRX Points: 10Posts: 611 Golden Tee
    Lanny was always good for entertainment value,a wonderful mix of great shots,duffs,trying hard,couldn't give a s**t,never a dull moment,I bet today's youths have never heard of him.
    Posted:
  • deetsaldeetsal deetsal Members  1390WRX Points: 45Handicap: 6Posts: 1,390 Platinum Tees
    That's easy, the wait what?
    Posted:
  • sam_5_0sam_5_0 Members  287WRX Points: 75Posts: 287 Greens
    About a year ago I was at the local driving range and settled up next to an older gentleman hitting a fairway wood. He was in his 80s and his wife was sitting in a lawn chair behind him. After each swing she would report the direction to her husband: a little left, a little right, straight at the target. I was admiring the commitment of him to the game and her to the husband. Between shots he noticed my interest and said: I am **** near blind but this is far better than sitting at home doing nothing.€ I said Yes, sir I agree.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • sam_5_0sam_5_0 Members  287WRX Points: 75Posts: 287 Greens
    Chris122 wrote:
    Lanny was always good for entertainment value,a wonderful mix of great shots,duffs,trying hard,couldn't give a s**t,never a dull moment,I bet today's youths have never heard of him.

My Dad took me to watch the Texas Open several years in the 80s. It was played at Oak Hills Country Club in San Antonio. Dad asked me who I wanted to follow and I picked Lanny. He was striping everything on the range. He shot 61 that round and holed out from 170 yards fir eagle one hole. I was forever a fan of his.
    Posted:
  • TexsportTexsport Members  2348WRX Points: 147Posts: 2,348 Platinum Tees
    I'd say creeping loss of driver distance and occasional errant shots that are worse than anything you ever hit in your younger days.

Sometimes you hit a shot that would have sent you straight to the range before - now you just soldier on.

Texsport
    Posted:
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter

Advertisement
  • TimVTimV Members  1484WRX Points: 17Handicap: yesPosts: 1,484 Platinum Tees
    Hmmm, my errant shots are not nearly as bad as they were in my younger days.

Perhaps that's simply because I can't hit it as far. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    All Forged, all the time.
    The Sets that see regular playing time...
    67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
    71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
    95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
    2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.
    TimV wrote:

Hmmm, my errant shots are not nearly as bad as they were in my younger days.

Perhaps that's simply because I can't hit it as far. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

...or remember them.....
    Posted:
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members  868WRX Points: 332Posts: 868 Golden Tee
    Many of my older sets have shafts too stiff for my current physique.

my storage area must have ripened them.

maybe I should sleep there.
    Posted:
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
    Discovering (today) that my 140-yard club is now a 130-yard club....
    Posted:
  • JiggeredJiggered Midlands UKMembers  574WRX Points: 238Handicap: 14Posts: 574 Golden Tee
    Chris122 wrote:

I've been struggling with my 4 iron too.
    Posted:
    It's not all about the score.

Advertisement
  • TimVTimV Members  1484WRX Points: 17Handicap: yesPosts: 1,484 Platinum Tees
    image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    Posted:
    All Forged, all the time.
    The Sets that see regular playing time...
    67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
    71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
    95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
    2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members  2656WRX Points: 523Handicap: 11Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees
    When your 9 wood becomes your favorite club.......................from 125 yards.
    Posted:
    • Tommy Armor Atomic 10.5*
    • Adams Speedline 5w
    • Callaway BB 7h
    • Snake Eyes 600C 8- SW*
    • Odyssey VLine
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members  3466WRX Points: 356Posts: 3,466 Titanium Tees
    Interesting....you find you are standing too close to the ball. After you have hit it. Long par 4s become par 5s. You wear a gilet in warm weather. You get excited about a new Powacaddy lithium battery and pass over the latest driver. You have a cup of tea instead of a pint after the game. Club logo clothing suddenly looks good. You play a Senior comp on a poor course just because it is cheap. You trade in your sports car or fast saloon for a Honda SUV (slow utility vehicle). Chipping becomes a war of attrition. Senior flex enters your vocabulary. You think mixed foursomes are a good idea.
    Posted:
  • That Bob GuyThat Bob Guy Never settle! Members  2581WRX Points: 111Handicap: 8.7Posts: 2,581 Titanium Tees
    When one finds peace and perspective on the golf course.
    Posted:
  • That Bob GuyThat Bob Guy Never settle! Members  2581WRX Points: 111Handicap: 8.7Posts: 2,581 Titanium Tees
    Guia wrote:

I don't know at what age your game will suffer, but mine went when I was about 67. I steadily lost yardage, I used to average around 260+ with a swing speed of 103, I now average 200 carry and hope for 20 yards roll out. My concentration is not as keen either. I am in very good condition for my age, 180 lbs, 6 ft, but not much muscle left.

My score suffers, but the experience never does. To me, it's all about one's perspective. Embrace the opportunity.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members  6204WRX Points: 4,406Posts: 6,204 Titanium Tees
    Jiggered wrote:

Chris122 wrote:

I've been struggling with my 4 iron too.

Ooh, that's the best news I've had today! I'm feeling extremely buff that my 130 yard club is a strong lofted 6 iron...

Wench come hither! image/bb2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':bb2:' />
    Posted:
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°
    Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°
    TM '09 Rescue 5H
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    Cleveland CBX 56° SW
    SeeMore PTM3
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  13019WRX Points: 3,988Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,019 Titanium Tees

Many of my older sets have shafts too stiff for my current physique.

my storage area must have ripened them.

maybe I should sleep there.
    You are darn skippy on that first statement and it progresses---- First off 10 years ago I got to where I could not hit the X-1000s or S-400s
    Then 2 years ago I started getting where I could not hit Pro Pel 2s or S-300s---- Now for me it is Hogan Apex #2s ( senior flex) steel in the classic blades and the front line set is a set of KZG CBs with (gasp!!!!) 90 gram graphite shafts.
    Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

• scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members  6204WRX Points: 4,406Posts: 6,204 Titanium Tees
    elwhippy wrote:

Interesting....you find you are standing too close to the ball. After you have hit it. Long par 4s become par 5s. You wear a gilet in warm weather. You get excited about a new Powacaddy lithium battery and pass over the latest driver. You have a cup of tea instead of a pint after the game. Club logo clothing suddenly looks good. You play a Senior comp on a poor course just because it is cheap. You trade in your sports car or fast saloon for a Honda SUV (slow utility vehicle). Chipping becomes a war of attrition. Senior flex enters your vocabulary. You think mixed foursomes are a good idea.

Yup, that sounds about right. Haven't given up on the pint or the G&T in favour of a cuppa yet. An SUV has been in the drive for far too long now, although a vintage Mustang convertible does call out to me. (Morgan roadsters never were intended for six footers.)

As for the mixed foursome, that becomes the primary method of meeting members of the opposite ****. It's not so bad if you embrace it. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°
    Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°
    TM '09 Rescue 5H
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    Cleveland CBX 56° SW
    SeeMore PTM3
    Getting lazy to get out of the house to golf when the weather is not optimal.

I used to play in all kinds of weather as long as not all the elements were at the same time. Now, I'd step out the back yard and exam the turf to declare that the soil is saturated, not fit for golfing.

Rather stay home and watch the Shell's Wonderful World of Golf with a hot beverage in hand.
    Posted:
  • Richard 77Richard 77 Members  435WRX Points: 135Handicap: NonePosts: 435 Greens

Found elsewhere while looking stuff up. How does an old guy read the slope of a green:

"If I'm breathing heavily while walking on a green, I'm going uphill. If I trip, I'm going downhill." - Spec Goldman.
    if I remember Spec Goldman was either the pro or a regular a Tennyson Park golf course in Dallas . My bud Ed an I played a round with him in59 or 60 and he told me “ son, to play this game you hit the ball, say ****! Walk up and hit it again.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members  3466WRX Points: 356Posts: 3,466 Titanium Tees
    Buy the Mustang. Stick with the beer. Avoid mixed foursomes.
    Posted:
    elwhippy wrote:

Buy the Mustang. Stick with the beer. Avoid mixed foursomes.

Or as my old pal JC Wilson described them "mixed gruesomes".

But he and you had obviously not had a partner like mine at a previous club,she was 17 years old,blonde playing off 5,a bonny girl and great fun to play with.
    Posted:
    elwhippy wrote:

You forgot the purchase of a Bronty Chipmaster for those nervy,twitchy shots around the green that can no longer be played with a wedge.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  13019WRX Points: 3,988Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,019 Titanium Tees
    Chris122 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

You forgot the purchase of a Bronty Chipmaster for those nervy,twitchy shots around the green that can no longer be played with a wedge.
    LOL that is what they make a 8 , 7 or 5 iron for. Or if you want to go really modern one of those green chipper things. LOL again they advertise that you can not chunk one with those things. Trust me I deliberately chunked 3 balls with it one day around our short game area to prove a point. One of I members had one and made that statement. I showed him. Remember back in the day there was a rumor you could not shank a Ping Eye 2. To be honest I never heard Ping make that claim and I think it was urban legend so to speak. But I had to demonstrate that back in the day too. Remember I am a sorta trick shot artist. I can do any trick in the book but hit one straight and control a hook. But the point in case is no club is fool proof you can do any kind of screw up with any club. Yeah I actually shanked a Anser putter one time and it was not deliberate. I was eyeing the blonde on 18 that I was fixing to go back to the motel with that day. I was out of the event anyhow. Got to thinking about her and hit it dead in the heel 4 freaking feet off line.
    Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.