Dear blade,

IIvudooIIIIvudooII Members Posts: 245
I am making the leap from very forgiving irons to the MIURA MC501’s. My fascination with forged, blade type irons began with a single session I had with a muscle back. At that time, I knew I was not good enough to play these irons but the pure feel of the club always stood with me.

You could take a v6 and add everything imaginable to make it feel like a v8, but you know with every mod that you cannot replicate the vibration, the feel. I eventually got my v8, as I am now moving on to these beautiful MC’s.

I want to hear from some of you. I know I made the right choice. Even at the expense of losing a little distance, the confidence I feel when I strike these clubs is beyond words. It is like finally sleeping with the right woman. Your body has a way of synchronizing itself with what your head is already telling you. I mean, is there going back? Tell me why you fellas play MB’s, Cb’s, blade types, when there are various more forgiving options available?

Comments

• MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,377 ✭✭
    Yes, there is going back. Then going back again, and a few more times back and forth.

I like thin-ish soles and low-sh offset for how I strike the ball, but I'm already a natural high spin player and very seldomly try to work the ball sideways, only trajectory, so for me blades make little sense. I've played forged CB's most of my life, but recently switched to the P790's that are a lower spin more forgiving iron but still relatively little offset and not too wide soles. Life on the course has never been more pleasant for me!

Not the slightest interested in going back to something that may provide more feel and workability right now, but give me a few more long winters to overthink things and I may change my mind. :-)
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭
    IIvudooII wrote:

I am making the leap from very forgiving irons to the MIURA MC501’s. My fascination with forged, blade type irons began with a single session I had with a muscle back. At that time, I knew I was not good enough to play these irons but the pure feel of the club always stood with me.

You could take a v6 and add everything imaginable to make it feel like a v8, but you know with every mod that you cannot replicate the vibration, the feel. I eventually got my v8, as I am now moving on to these beautiful MC’s.

I want to hear from some of you. I know I made the right choice. Even at the expense of losing a little distance, the confidence I feel when I strike these clubs is beyond words. It is like finally sleeping with the right woman. Your body has a way of synchronizing itself with what your head is already telling you. I mean, is there going back? Tell me why you fellas play MB’s, Cb’s, blade types, when there are various more forgiving options available?

Continuing the metaphor, I hope you never find her hiding in someone else’s bushes.

I’m always happier when I go back to my old blades. If I had any sense, I’d just play them all the time.
  • ByeBye Members Posts: 1,311 ✭✭
    Once you have flushed a bladed long iron nothing will ever be the same again. It make take a while to do it again, but it will be logged in the memory bank.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
    Titleist Pro V1
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo! Members Posts: 663 ✭✭
    I play blades cause my misses ALWAYS stop short of the trouble. Like Kramer and Frank Costanza, that’s my move: I stop short!

Ping Rapture 12.5
    TEE CB4 Tour 16.5
    Callaway x2Hot Pro 20/23
    Ping i E1 5-U
    Ping Glide ES 54.5/60
    Ping iN Half Wack-e
    Titleist DT TruSoft

• bcsquarebcsquare Members Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Bye wrote:

Once you have flushed a bladed long iron nothing will ever be the same again. It make take a while to do it again, but it will be logged in the memory bank.

That feeling of a flush bladed iron is what sucks you in, it's intoxicating
    Cobra F9 9*, Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 6S
    Cobra F9 3W 14.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Cobra F9 5W 18.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F, 56.08M, 60.08M, Nippon Modus Wedge 115
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
  • Sir SlicealotSir Slicealot Mr. MP-4 Members Posts: 764
    Bye wrote:

That's the truth. When you can do it multiple times a day at the driving range it becomes an addiction. When you draw the iron out of your bag to save you from a short drive and utter the small prayer at address before turning on the smooth swing, then you have entered the religious stage. The buttery click will be the thing of dreams.
    WITB:
    MP-9 1 iron DG X100 15°
    RAM FX Tour Grind 1 iron Tempur Dynamic Tour Stiff 17°
    MP-4 3-PW DG S300
    MD Forged 52°
    MD PM 56°
    MD PM 60°
    2014 8802
    In rotation:
    MP-29 1-2 DG S300
    MD PM 64°
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,890 ✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 #8
    youuu rannnggg!?

in other news im thinking of ordering a 4-7 hybrid , a 40 ft ball retriever and a pull cart... really close to giving up on life...lol
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

youuu rannnggg!?

in other news im thinking of ordering a 4-7 hybrid , a 40 ft ball retriever and a pull cart... really close to giving up on life...lol

Good heavens! Just get a heaven wood and a divine nine and call it a day. Those two clubs apparently solve everything.
    WITB:
    MP-9 1 iron DG X100 15°
    MP-4 3-PW DG S300
    MD Forged 52°
    MD PM 56°
    MD PM 60°
    2014 8802
    In rotation:
    MP-29 1-2 DG S300
    MD PM 64°
  • MrJonesMrJones Waiting for the weekend... Members Posts: 2,724 ✭✭
    For whatever reason my brain is convinced I can strike the ball better with blades. I'll go to a forgiving iron for a while and then eye ball every blade iron I see till I can't stand it anymore.

I play better with them because I THINK I can play better with them.
    Cobra Bio Cell Pro
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
    TM RAC MB 3-PW
    Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Ice 1
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭

youuu rannnggg!?

Good heavens! Just get a heaven wood and a divine nine and call it a day. Those two clubs apparently solve everything.

Ely Would solve them even more thoroughly.
  • gators78gators78 ClubWRX Posts: 3,917 ClubWRX
    From my experience call it 7i to W there is minimal difference between blades or forgiving clubs.

However, once you get to the 165-225 range, which every strokes gained guru has said is the key spot to lowering scores, you'll find out real quick how good you are.

205 yard par 3 over water, here's a blade 4 iron and 10 balls, lets see whatcha got.
    G400 Max
    M2 3W, Hybrid
    Arias
    SM7s
    Sigma 2, Tyne 4
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭

Continuing the metaphor, I hope you never find her hiding in someone else's bushes.

I'm always happier when I go back to my old blades. If I had any sense, I'd just play them all the time.

bcsquare wrote:

That feeling of a flush bladed iron is what sucks you in, it's intoxicating

MrJones wrote:
    Even at the expense of losing a little distance, the confidence I feel when I strike these clubs is beyond words. It is like finally sleeping with the right woman. Your body has a way of synchronizing itself with what your head is already telling you. I mean, is there going back?

Yes, there is going back.

There is no question or doubt blades feel better on good strikes. The problem is whether you care about score or feel. Its not bad to care about feel more, but your golf score is determined by how good your worst strikes end up not your best ones. Equipment (assuming your goal is the lowest score possible) should mitigate bad strikes not optimize good ones.

People who play blade irons without the chops tend to blame themselves for the bad shots and give the blades credit for the good ones.

IIvudooII wrote:

Tell me why you fellas play MB’s, Cb’s, blade types, when there are various more forgiving options available?

Because the key to playing golf at or below par is no doubles or worse. You can bogey holes, but once the doubles start you can't win an event or post a really strong round. Even though forgiving irons are more muted (and they are) they also go much straighter and farther on mishits. Assuming you aimed to keep trouble out of play, this is a strong key to avoiding doubles.

You don't shoot great golf rounds and win tournaments by sniping pins with deadly accurate clubs. That's a myth. You do it by hitting green after green and never making double bogey. GI clubs (maybe not SGI, but GI - Apex Pro, J40 DPC, Mizzy SC, etc...) are very good at hitting the fringe on poor swings aimed at the middle of the green.

Blades are a tough go because one bad swing can undo five good ones during an actual round.

This IMO of course. The feel of blade is awesome, and if its worth it to lose the forgiveness and bring some doubles in for that feeling have at it! But to answer the OP's question, that's why I do not play blades and never will. A thin topline player's CB has most of the advantages and doesn't have the MASSIVE disadvantage of a toe hit going half as far.
    Ping G30 10.5* 14.5* 17* TFC-419 stiff
    Bridgestone j40 3-PW 52* 57* DG s300
    Scotty Cameron Big Sur s 34"
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,283 ✭✭

youuu rannnggg!?

Trying to turn your game into anti-aircraft fire? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • gators78gators78 ClubWRX Posts: 3,917 ClubWRX

[You don't shoot great golf rounds and win tournaments by sniping pins with deadly accurate clubs. That's a myth.

I know what you were trying to say there around not making doubles, but to clarify deadly accurate clubs is exactly why the best are the best.

Mark Broadie was on NLU talking about Tiger's game in his prime and what was his strongest strokes gained area. Most people would say his putting first, then driving, but in actuality it was his approach game. He would be gaining nearly 8 strokes on the field just with approaches over the course of a tournament. That's off the charts good.
    G400 Max
    M2 3W, Hybrid
    Arias
    SM7s
    Sigma 2, Tyne 4
  • MrJonesMrJones Waiting for the weekend... Members Posts: 2,724 ✭✭

MrJones wrote:
    Even at the expense of losing a little distance, the confidence I feel when I strike these clubs is beyond words. It is like finally sleeping with the right woman. Your body has a way of synchronizing itself with what your head is already telling you. I mean, is there going back?

Yes, there is going back.

There is no question or doubt blades feel better on good strikes. The problem is whether you care about score or feel. Its not bad to care about feel more, but your golf score is determined by how good your worst strikes end up not your best ones. Equipment (assuming your goal is the lowest score possible) should mitigate bad strikes not optimize good ones.

People who play blade irons without the chops tend to blame themselves for the bad shots and give the blades credit for the good ones.

Just want to point out that you've misquoted me here. Don't know why.
    Cobra Bio Cell Pro
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
    TM RAC MB 3-PW
    Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Ice 1
  • rawdograwdog Cleveland, OHMembers Posts: 3,015 ✭✭

There is no question or doubt blades feel better on good strikes.

Et, tu? I hope this is one of those gray absolutes.
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
    In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
    Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
    Maxfli SoftFli
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,360 ✭✭
    Regardless of how many blade threads we have here someone will always start a new one. At least this one goes straight to the emotion of the matter with the unveiled sexual innuendo. Well done! image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
    gators78 wrote:

205 yard par 3 over water, here's a blade 4 iron and 10 balls, lets see whatcha got.

Can we!?! Can we!?! That's one of my favorite clubs! Is this going to be a 205 to the pin or a carry over water?
    WITB:
    MP-9 1 iron DG X100 15°
    MP-4 3-PW DG S300
    MD Forged 52°
    MD PM 56°
    MD PM 60°
    2014 8802
    In rotation:
    MP-29 1-2 DG S300
    MD PM 64°
  • DeNinnyDeNinny Major Wiener Members Posts: 7,974 ✭✭
    IIvudooII wrote:

In my experience and in theory, forgiveness is a carney sham(e). A blade and MB design is superior to a "forgiving" design in all ways for all golfers of all skill levels. Just about every supposed "forgiving feature" in a "forgiving" head design is based on a completely false assumption. And the more "game improvement" the club, the worse it gets. It's a carney sham(e). Bank on it.
    TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
    TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
    Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
    34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
    Outlaw Golf Association Member #7
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    My barn clubs are a jumble, but I hit a lot of balls with '74 Hogan's, pre 1970 Haig's, a couple of Mizuno's and a G30 Ping. My experience has been that a well struck shot feels good. Cast, GI irons feel different than my old Haig's, but they feel good when I hit them good. The danger with playing blade type irons is that if you do not have the chops, you will find yourself trying to steer the club, rather than just making your swing. I usually stay out of these threads, but I absolutely endorse what Pine had to say.
    edited May 3, 2018 #22
    DeNinny wrote:

IIvudooII wrote:

In my experience and in theory, forgiveness is a carney sham(e). A blade and MB design is superior to a "forgiving" design in all ways for all golfers of all skill levels. Just about every supposed "forgiving feature" in a "forgiving" head design is based on a completely false assumption. And the more "game improvement" the club, the worse it gets. It's a carney sham(e). Bank on it.

Realizing this will derail the thread, I have to ask...

"In theory, forgiveness is a carney sham."

What's your definition of "forgiveness?"

And what is this "false assumption" of which you speak?

If I'm going to "bank on it," I gotta know!
    Cobra LTD Driver

Maxfli SoftFli
  • Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 728 ✭✭
    Dear blades,

I thought I was skilled enough to use you, but that was just an ego slip. I now am having great success with my gi irons. Bye!
  • DeNinnyDeNinny Major Wiener Members Posts: 7,974 ✭✭
    rawdog wrote:

DeNinny wrote:

IIvudooII wrote:

No problem. Just give me some time. LOL and get ready for a long post.
    TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
    TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
    Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
    34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
    Outlaw Golf Association Member #7
    DeNinny wrote:

rawdog wrote:

DeNinny wrote:

IIvudooII wrote:

All good. Take your time. All views are welcome, no matter how long they are...
    Cobra LTD Driver

Maxfli SoftFli
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,603 ✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 #26

gators78 wrote:

Can we!?! Can we!?! That's one of my favorite clubs! Is this going to be a 205 to the pin or a carry over water?

I am in on this as well. May be a Hard 5.
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,360 ✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 #27
    rawdog wrote:

DeNinny wrote:

rawdog wrote:

DeNinny wrote:

All good. Take your time. All views are welcome, no matter how long they are...

You're taking the bait. Hook, line, and sinker. You may as well take your sand wedge and bang your head with it now to save time.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
    edited May 3, 2018 #28
    NRJyzr wrote:

youuu rannnggg!?

Trying to turn your game into anti-aircraft fire? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Bring your flak jacket !!

justasgood wrote:

gators78 wrote:

I started to ask what the wind was doing to make a club choice. But thought Better of it. Until I saw someone beat me to it. Lol.
    edited May 3, 2018 #29
    justasgood wrote:

gators78 wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. That four onto the green just isn't going to stop as well as that five, but the man said, "here's a blade four iron and ten balls, let's see whatcha got." So you take five and I take five? Or you want me to enjoy all ten? I'm bringing my MP-4 DgS300. "Whatcha got?" Or is it a surprise supplied blade. Fair warning: If you bring an iblade, I'm throwing it and you in the water and saving the balls for when you try to come out.
    WITB:
    MP-9 1 iron DG X100 15°
    MP-4 3-PW DG S300
    MD Forged 52°
    MD PM 56°
    MD PM 60°
    2014 8802
    In rotation:
    MP-29 1-2 DG S300
    MD PM 64°
    edited May 3, 2018 #30
    MrJones wrote:

For whatever reason my brain is convinced I can strike the ball better with blades. I'll go to a forgiving iron for a while and then eye ball every blade iron I see till I can't stand it anymore.

I play better with them because I THINK I can play better with them.

If you think you can play better with them .... you can. And if you think you can’t. You can’t. That’s the absolute to this entire debate.
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,603 ✭✭

justasgood wrote:

gators78 wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. That four onto the green just isn't going to stop as well as that five, but the man said, "here's a blade four iron and ten balls, let's see whatcha got." So you take five and I take five? Or you want me to enjoy all ten? I'm bringing my MP-4 DgS300. "Whatcha got?" Or is it a surprise supplied blade. Fair warning: If you bring an iblade, I'm throwing it and you in the water and saving the balls for when you try to come out.

In the spirit of Tiger’s new blades, I’ll bring my VR Pro 5 shafted with DG X100.

I’ll only need 1 so you can carve up the other 9 with a display of the 9 shot shapes blades can produce: Draw (high, mid, low) straight ( high mid low) cut ( high mid low)