ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

2018 NBA Season

191011121315»

Comments

• scratchswingerscratchswinger Advanced Members Posts: 16,148 ✭✭
    It's been a rough two months for the Lakers... Christmas night they were 4th in the west, trending up, just blew out the Warriors in Oakland, and were one of the most dangerous teams in the league. Injuries and the trade deadline really set this team back... I don't think their is enough time for them to regain old form and as crazy as it sounds the Ball injury has been pivotal, a ton of his value does not show up in the box score. He has been really injury prone his first two seasons. The only bright side is that BI has shown life and is really coming around.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOAT Advanced Members Posts: 27,956 ✭✭
    Yeah was gonna say the irony is Brandon Ingram has been awesome, but for him all that really means is he's more attractive to the Pelicans. Just a weird situation
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV 65
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,336 ClubWRX
    I haven’t been to an NBA game since about 1998 ish (whenever Eric Piatkowski ((if anyone even remembers him)) was playing for the Clippers). But my sons church has a group going to the Nuggets-Jazz game Thursday night and I’m going to tag along. Should be fun with as well as the Nuggets are playing.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    Hey I remember Eric Piatkowski!!!
    Ralph Lawler calling his threes was an all time great.
    That was the dark days of the clips right? I think even before Olowokandi and Darius Miles et Al. Can't remember who else was on that team. Musta been like 1995 era
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,336 ClubWRX
    MtlJeff wrote:

Hey I remember Eric Piatkowski!!!

I’m impressed Jeff. The Polish Rifle.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • F171615F171615 Members Posts: 394 ✭✭
    pinhigh27 wrote:

Going to be really awkward when LeBron misses playoffs

More awkward than the trade deadline, when they're telling the press that they're want to get rid of everyone? Or after the Pelicans loss, when LeBron says the problem with this team is that he's playing with a bunch of losers?
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Advanced Members Posts: 673 ✭✭
    pinhigh27 wrote:

I'll still never understand why he went to a crappy west team and didn't just try to rebuild the cavs and end up in finals every year with half the work

'

As a die hard Cavs fan, we all wanted that. But his hate for Dan Gilbert is real. And we shouldve kept David Griffin as GM.
    F171615 wrote:

pinhigh27 wrote:

More awkward than the trade deadline, when they're telling the press that they're want to get rid of everyone? Or after the Pelicans loss, when LeBron says the problem with this team is that he's playing with a bunch of losers?

Beyond LeBron, It doesn't really get enough attention that they got rid of Brook Lopez and Julius Randle who ended up signing for very reasonable deals. Randle makes less than Caldwell Pope for example.

And also before that couldn't get rid of DeAngelo Russell fast enough. Granted they got Kuzma in that deal but that was a throw in. But Russell is an all-star
    MtlJeff wrote:

F171615 wrote:

pinhigh27 wrote:

Beyond LeBron, It doesn't really get enough attention that they got rid of Brook Lopez and Julius Randle who ended up signing for very reasonable deals. Randle makes less than Caldwell Pope for example.

And also before that couldn't get rid of DeAngelo Russell fast enough. Granted they got Kuzma in that deal but that was a throw in. But Russell is an all-star

Their is so much more to Randle and D’Angelo that you are not mentioning.

MtlJeff wrote:

F171615 wrote:

pinhigh27 wrote:

Their is so much more to Randle and D'Angelo that you are not mentioning.

Are you referencing Paul George not wanting to be a Laker?
    F171615 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

F171615 wrote:

pinhigh27 wrote:

Their is so much more to Randle and D'Angelo that you are not mentioning.

Are you referencing Paul George not wanting to be a Laker?

With D'Angello you had the whole swaggy P thing, losing trust in his teammates, immaturity, and an overall black cloud hanging over him. They also got out of the Mozgov contract which needed to be done in order to sign LeBron. I think it's fair to say that he had to be moved and it was in both parties best interest, everyone knew he could play. With Randle he is inked to a two year deal that would be handcuffing the Lakers this coming summer. The Lakers also not making an offer has everything to do with Aaron Mintz relationship with the Lakers, who by the way is also D'Angellos agent.

I just think both players situations are a lot more complicated then "Lakers should have retained".

I do wish the Lakers kept Lopez and I don't think Magic and Rob have done an amazing job. They have said all along this is a long term plan (although they almost threw that all out the window for AD). If anything I think the one flaw is taking Ball over Tatum, I still think Ball is going to be a great player but if they took Tatum AD would be in LA right now.
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Advanced Members Posts: 3,503 ✭✭

I do wish the Lakers kept Lopez and I don't think Magic and Rob have done an amazing job. They have said all along this is a long term plan (although they almost threw that all out the window for AD). If anything I think the one flaw is taking Ball over Tatum, I still think Ball is going to be a great player but if they took Tatum AD would be in LA right now.

Understatement of the thread.

Other than sign LeBron James - which had more to do with LeBron than either of them - what have they done that makes them even be competent?
    On another note , as I told my friend today....Karl Towns is playing so well that if you add he and Wiggins numbers together and divide them by two, they are still a pretty dynamic duo

This is where we are at with Wiggins

Get here soon RJ.... SAVIOR OF CANADA BASKETBALL!!!!

• cdnglfcdnglf Advanced Members Posts: 3,019 ✭✭
    https://amp.si.com/nba/2019/02/26/kareem-abdul-jabbar-auctioning-four-nba-championship-rings

"Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I’d rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future," Abdul-Jabbar said.
    I feel like someone needs to do the Brian Fantana/Champ Kind thing to Anthony Davis where they tell him "Hey Anthony, why don't you just stop talking for a while"

I know he's only 25-26 so it's tough. I was that age once and wasn't a genius. But it's like he's got these guys around him that just seem to tell him to say things that just are bad looks

First the trade request with 1 1/2 yrs left, than that he's going to take out a full page ad thanking the Pelicans and it will be great, than the "there's 29 teams on my list" ...now he's just the CEO of Anthony Davis basketball enterprises taking ownership (by the way do we have footage of Lebron literally writing that down for him to say because does anyone really believe Davis came up with that terminology himself?)

I would honestly feel bad at how badly he's been mismanaged if not for the fact that he will make 500M in his career
    MtlJeff wrote:

I feel like someone needs to do the Brian Fantana/Champ Kind thing to Anthony Davis where they tell him "Hey Anthony, why don't you just stop talking for a while"

I know he's only 25-26 so it's tough. I was that age once and wasn't a genius. But it's like he's got these guys around him that just seem to tell him to say things that just are bad looks

First the trade request with 1 1/2 yrs left, than that he's going to take out a full page ad thanking the Pelicans and it will be great, than the "there's 29 teams on my list" ...now he's just the CEO of Anthony Davis basketball enterprises taking ownership (by the way do we have footage of Lebron literally writing that down for him to say because does anyone really believe Davis came up with that terminology himself?)

I would honestly feel bad at how badly he's been mismanaged if not for the fact that he will make 500M in his career

These guys are annoyingly making it a point to let everyone know they have the power.

How good do you think Jaren Jackson will be?

I haven’t been to an NBA game since about 1998 ish (whenever Eric Piatkowski ((if anyone even remembers him)) was playing for the Clippers). But my sons church has a group going to the Nuggets-Jazz game Thursday night and I’m going to tag along. Should be fun with as well as the Nuggets are playing.

I must be a jinx. Boy was that an ugly game. Sloppy. And with really poor officiating.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27 Advanced Members Posts: 9,571 ✭✭
    the thing I see with tatum is he never really takes over. like say kyrie is having an off game and tatum just decides ok I'm going to do this. he will have games where he gets 25 but usually its in a blowout or etc.

Not saying he's not good, just saying I'm not sure if he will ever be a superstar.
    How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
    I wonder if the Lakers and Celtics both playing uninspired basketball has anything to do with most of their teams wondering if they will be traded for Anthony Davis this offseason. I get that they are professionals but it's hard not to be affected by this. I know in LA the young guys are getting their numbers but maybe defensively it's hurting their focus....I don't watch a ton of Lakers games due to having a young baby and being on the east coast....The Celtics have been a mess. Some of that is probably related to Kyrie Irving trashing his teammates in the media pretty much every week for the past couple of months

It's been funny to hear Bill Simmons slowly turn on Kyrie this year. I mean it's funny that a few weeks back he talked about all these great lessons he learned from Lebron, and then he went out and bashed his teammates in the press. He REALLY did learn something from Lebron!

I really dont know about the Celtics. Part of me wonders if they would be better off if Kyrie left, no Davis trade happens and they just do a longer rebuild around Tatum, Smart, Brown and another piece they can add. Most people who watch the Celtics seem to say there's a different energy when Kyrie isn't on the floor. They play harder and more as a unit....again, i hate to play the Lebron card here, but it's amazing how Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland and has become a lot of the same things he wanted to get away from (bashing teammates, noncommital about future with his team). It's like in Black Panther when T'Challa yells at Killmonger "You have become them!!!!"
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Advanced Members Posts: 781 ✭✭
    edited March 3
    Kyrie and Lebron have not done a very good job in their leadership role. MTL is right on imo. A leader makes a unit more cohesive and neither of these players do that. The trade rumors definitely played a part in it as well. How would you feel going to work every day knowing your expendable and not really wanted? Id be looking for a new gig.

Lebron's play can make players better, but his words and actions negate a lot of the great things he does on the court. Maybe that's why hes 3-6 in NBA finals or whatever.

Also, since they put chips in the jerseys we get alot of awesome metrics, like average defensive speed. Here are the 3 slowest/least effort players in the NBA this year:

1. Dirk Nowitzki. Makes sense right? hes like 50 and 7' tall. he can barely move anymore.

2. James Harden

3. Lebron James

LA plays absolutely no defense, Even Rondo is a negative defender this year, and he used to be known as a really good on ball defender. i just checked and hes 327th in def rating out of 346 qualifiers.
    Callaway
    MtlJeff wrote:

I wonder if the Lakers and Celtics both playing uninspired basketball has anything to do with most of their teams wondering if they will be traded for Anthony Davis this offseason. I get that they are professionals but it's hard not to be affected by this. I know in LA the young guys are getting their numbers but maybe defensively it's hurting their focus....I don't watch a ton of Lakers games due to having a young baby and being on the east coast....The Celtics have been a mess. Some of that is probably related to Kyrie Irving trashing his teammates in the media pretty much every week for the past couple of months

It's been funny to hear Bill Simmons slowly turn on Kyrie this year. I mean it's funny that a few weeks back he talked about all these great lessons he learned from Lebron, and then he went out and bashed his teammates in the press. He REALLY did learn something from Lebron!

I really dont know about the Celtics. Part of me wonders if they would be better off if Kyrie left, no Davis trade happens and they just do a longer rebuild around Tatum, Smart, Brown and another piece they can add. Most people who watch the Celtics seem to say there's a different energy when Kyrie isn't on the floor. They play harder and more as a unit....again, i hate to play the Lebron card here, but it's amazing how Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland and has become a lot of the same things he wanted to get away from (bashing teammates, noncommital about future with his team). It's like in Black Panther when T'Challa yells at Killmonger "You have become them!!!!"

lol excellent man
    Become a better athlete.

^^^ I haven't checked those stats for a while but they were always fun. Patty Mills was the "fastest player" in the league for a while I recall, meaning he was always running really fast when on the court

Lebron i think at his age he can be forgiven for taking defense off as a way to preserve his body. He did it in Cleveland last year for 2 months and he's still obviously a massive net positive. But the challenge can be if he's not surrounded by good defenders obviously building a team defense can be a tough one. If LA was as good defensively as last year they are in the playoffs even with Lebron's injury

Rondo isn't great and has openly admitted not playing hard on defense in the past. I wonder if when his name came up in trade talks he went back into that mode. In the past what, 7 years, the only time he's been good is in Chicago when playing against his former team in the playoffs, and for a 1/2 season in New Orleans in a good situation. He basically torpedoed what was the best offense in the league (Dallas) at the time, and that was after openly saying he wasn't trying in Boston
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Advanced Members Posts: 781 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

^^^ I haven't checked those stats for a while but they were always fun. Patty Mills was the "fastest player" in the league for a while I recall, meaning he was always running really fast when on the court

Lebron i think at his age he can be forgiven for taking defense off as a way to preserve his body. He did it in Cleveland last year for 2 months and he's still obviously a massive net positive. But the challenge can be if he's not surrounded by good defenders obviously building a team defense can be a tough one. If LA was as good defensively as last year they are in the playoffs even with Lebron's injury

Rondo isn't great and has openly admitted not playing hard on defense in the past. I wonder if when his name came up in trade talks he went back into that mode. In the past what, 7 years, the only time he's been good is in Chicago when playing against his former team in the playoffs, and for a 1/2 season in New Orleans in a good situation. He basically torpedoed what was the best offense in the league (Dallas) at the time, and that was after openly saying he wasn't trying in Boston

I forgot about the dallas debacle. he completely nuked that team. Bron has a net rating of 1.9 this year, currently #172 on the list. I agree hes older and needs to conserve more than he used to but his actions clearly trickle down to the other players. Id like to see a little more effort.

fyi patty is still 8th fastest this year, haha. alex poythress #1
    Callaway
    I'm sure Melo is going to make the Lakers good..
    Become a better athlete.

No one ever learns. He doesn't make your team better
    Become a better athlete.

Well, they can't get much worse defensively. Maybe this is the perfect situation.
    Adding him is a good way to tank the season.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    Granted LeBron said he didn't want to sit, but the ultimate irony would be the Lakers sitting LeBron out multiple games after klutch sports threatened the NBA with a grievance if the Pelicans sat Davis
    MtlJeff wrote:

Granted LeBron said he didn't want to sit, but the ultimate irony would be the Lakers sitting LeBron out multiple games after klutch sports threatened the NBA with a grievance if the Pelicans sat Davis

Hahaha How would that work? It's okay if the player agrees to it? I don't think they sit him but just reduce his minutes. What a disappointing season for the Lakers, the Magic and Rob plan was just starting to take shape and the team looked very good in December and then all the injuries just started pouring in on top of the great trade debacle. LeBron has obviously slowed down but until his injury he looked very good and was in the MVP race. I think since then he has not gotten back to full strength, he hasn't seemed to have the same explosiveness. Maybe it's just later in the season and his legs are tiered or maybe he is still not back to full strength, hard to say. When is Lonzo coming back? He might just sit so he doesn't have to play for Luke again.... It will be an interesting off season for sure....

It appears that Kyrie really does not enjoy being the main guy and getting all the attention as much as he thought he wanted it. I could see him coming to LA so he can kind of just play ball and let LeBron be the focal point, If he really dislikes the attention then NY is not the place to go. If he does leave then what are the chances of Boston offering Tatum and given BI's play (assume he finishes the season this way) who is a better young player at that point BI or Tatum?
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Advanced Members Posts: 3,503 ✭✭

It appears that Kyrie really does not enjoy being the main guy and getting all the attention as much as he thought he wanted it. I could see him coming to LA so he can kind of just play ball and let LeBron be the focal point, If he really dislikes the attention then NY is not the place to go. If he does leave then what are the chances of Boston offering Tatum and given BI's play (assume he finishes the season this way) who is a better young player at that point BI or Tatum?

The Celtics have somehow worked themselves into a really weird spot.

I think most of the fans would be fine if Kyrie walks in July. He's a perfect fit for then Knicks...

It's funny, when Kyrie fell into the Celtics' laps, everybody recognized that stylistically he didn't fit but the pure talent level was so high you couldn't say no. Now I think we're coming to the conclusion that all that talent isn't so helpful if you don't fit with the rest of the team.

So if Kyrie walks...then you've got a good young team (Hayward, Tatum, Brown), but it's not clear that trading for Davis (especially if it's a rental) makes you a contender. It's really not obvious what the next move for Danny should be.
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,243 ClubWRX
    Kyrie will be fine once the playoff begins. You need stars in the playoff. Celtics are better with him than without when the lights goes on.

Watching Lebron sabotage this season was predictable. I did say he was better off in the east and got flamed for it. This is awesome.
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com<br /><br />FlashSz 1w, 3w, 5w, Graphite Design <br />Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, AP3 4i, 3i Accra i100 // Epons 301 4-Pw, Accra i80 <br />Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100<br />Tour Newport // SC 009 // Byron 007
  • ShilgyShilgy Advanced Members Posts: 11,106 ✭✭
    LeBron showed his true colors last night. And why he does not deserve the goat label. He passed MJ for 4th all time scoring, in a blowout loss, and talked about how it meant about as much to him as titles.

He never made the players around him better.
    PING G400 LST Alta CB 55s
    TM M1 3w 14* Graphite Design BB7s
    TM M2 5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
    Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
    Srixon Z585 5 & 6 Nippon Pro Modus 125S
    Srixon Z785 7-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
    Vokey SZM7 50°
    Cleveland RTX4 S400TI raw 56° & 60°
    Toulon Garage Rochester flow neck H5/ Toulon Rochester stock

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
    I think Jordan had issues making those around him better too, he developed a great relationship with Pippen it seemed but a lot of that was because Pippen was the clear #2 option and fit perfectly (great defender, secondary scorer). Even when Jordan retired Pippen wasn't a volume scorer. Truthfully Pippen is probably the all-time greatest true second banana

LeBron had a bit of that with Wade in Miami. When it became clear Wade was #2 and not 1B it seemed to work better

I think the thing that's held LeBron back the most is that he needs to control everything. Jordan had a pathological need to win. LeBron has a pathological need to control everything, I think because he hates the owners so much he turns everything into a power struggle. And it often hurts the team

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,734 ClubWRX

Kyrie and Lebron have not done a very good job in their leadership role. MTL is right on imo. A leader makes a unit more cohesive and neither of these players do that. The trade rumors definitely played a part in it as well. How would you feel going to work every day knowing your expendable and not really wanted? Id be looking for a new gig.

Lebron's play can make players better, but his words and actions negate a lot of the great things he does on the court. Maybe that's why hes 3-6 in NBA finals or whatever.

Also, since they put chips in the jerseys we get alot of awesome metrics, like average defensive speed. Here are the 3 slowest/least effort players in the NBA this year:

1. Dirk Nowitzki. Makes sense right? hes like 50 and 7' tall. he can barely move anymore.

2. James Harden

3. Lebron James

LA plays absolutely no defense, Even Rondo is a negative defender this year, and he used to be known as a really good on ball defender. i just checked and hes 327th in def rating out of 346 qualifiers.

Just stopped in here because reading these posts once in awhile catches me up on pro basketball so I don't have to watch it.

Are these chips in jerseys a real thing? Just wondering.

Just sitting here imagining some sort of tracking device in Frazier's "Clyde's".
    MtlJeff wrote:

I think Jordan had issues making those around him better too, he developed a great relationship with Pippen it seemed but a lot of that was because Pippen was the clear #2 option and fit perfectly (great defender, secondary scorer). Even when Jordan retired Pippen wasn't a volume scorer. Truthfully Pippen is probably the all-time greatest true second banana

LeBron had a bit of that with Wade in Miami. When it became clear Wade was #2 and not 1B it seemed to work better

I think the thing that's held LeBron back the most is that he needs to control everything. Jordan had a pathological need to win. LeBron has a pathological need to control everything, I think because he hates the owners so much he turns everything into a power struggle. And it often hurts the team

he's a blessing and a curse at the same time. if you want to win titles I don't think he's the best buy available. if you want to be relevant then yeah he is
    Become a better athlete.

• zip7111zip7111 Advanced Members Posts: 1,241 ✭✭
    How about some love for the Bucks? Fear the Deer!
  • HoosierHacker89HoosierHacker89 Advanced Members Posts: 2,636 ✭✭
    The bucks are solid, and I think they have a great shot to get out of the east. I look forward to the playoffs this year, as it seems like they will be anything but predictable. I'm going out of the shortest limb of all time, basically staying on the trunk of the tree saying that I suspect the warriors the three peat.
    Titleist 910 D3
    R7 steel 4 wood
    Cleveland Ta 5 3-P
    Cleveland 588 51/56
    Odyssey white hot 2 ball
    The Bucks continue to look awesome, they are basically slaughtering people and their +9 differential is one of the better ones for any season (+10 or higher is like, alltime great teams).

That being said, i feel like i have to go down with the ship. I've been saying all season i don't have confidence in their teams ability to produce playoff offense if Giannis is slowed in any way. I would expect teams to try various things, double teaming him immediately and making the other guys beat you....or the inverse, single covering him all game, letting him get 50, and not giving anyone else an open shot all night.

Good defensive teams really hurt the OKC Thunder like this back in the Durant-Westbrook and a tire fire years. They were like "Oh you shoot 42% from 3 Thabo Sefalosha? Great, take 20 of them and see if you're comfortable holding the fate of the team in your hands"....or "We'll put a 6'5 guy on you Serge Ibaka, go post up!"

The Bucks could win the east for sure. But if they lose in round #2 to the Celtics or whoever, it wouldn't surprise me either. The Bucks won't have the 2nd , 3rd or 4th best player in any series.
    I am excited for the playoffs though, more so than any of the Durant/GSW years. It feels like there may be some actual problems there with Draymond and KD and i wonder how that affects chemistry. They are still so talented but who knows, maybe a team like the Rockets, Raptors or Thunder who play hard and know who they are....or an upstart like Milwaukee who has a super duper star etc....could stun them

It's exciting to not know what's going to happen. I've forgotten what that feels like

I'm a big Steph Curry and Klay fan. I just want Durant out of there so i can like these guys again LOL
    How does the NBA handle the disciplining of Russell Westbrook for his latest altercation with fans? I understand how fans can be atrocious towards players, as I have heard the stories about fans saying nasty things to players without them having to worry about any sort of retribution. But Westbrook in this case has been caught on camera acting in the wrong - and this is a case in which the league needs to step in b/c they are dealing with a player who has gotten out of control probably because the league has not properly disciplined him for his past actions.
  • padgetpadget Advanced Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    F171615 wrote:

How does the NBA handle the disciplining of Russell Westbrook for his latest altercation with fans? I understand how fans can be atrocious towards players, as I have heard the stories about fans saying nasty things to players without them having to worry about any sort of retribution. But Westbrook in this case has been caught on camera acting in the wrong - and this is a case in which the league needs to step in b/c they are dealing with a player who has gotten out of control probably because the league has not properly disciplined him for his past actions.

F171615 wrote:

I am sure he gets fined and a one game suspension is not out of the question. But more should be done to curb this kind of behavior from fans. Boohing and heckling come with the territory and is to be expected, and I appreciate some good banter. Not everything has to be PC.

But to just yell obscenities and insults carte blanche towards athletes just because you are protected by a rope, security, or video cameras is ridiculous. There is a line that can be crossed, and it’s fairly easy to enforce if they cared. But the arenas care more about selling the expensive courtside “experience” that has gotten way too close to the athletes imo.

You can expect athletes to act like professionals, and most do. But fans should be expected to act like civil human beings as well. It’s not just for the athletes sake, I think most other fans would rather not have to listen to the idiots run their mouths the whole time.
    padget wrote:

F171615 wrote:

F171615 wrote:

I am sure he gets fined and a one game suspension is not out of the question. But more should be done to curb this kind of behavior from fans. Boohing and heckling come with the territory and is to be expected, and I appreciate some good banter. Not everything has to be PC.

But to just yell obscenities and insults carte blanche towards athletes just because you are protected by a rope, security, or video cameras is ridiculous. There is a line that can be crossed, and it's fairly easy to enforce if they cared. But the arenas care more about selling the expensive courtside "experience" that has gotten way too close to the athletes imo.

You can expect athletes to act like professionals, and most do. But fans should be expected to act like civil human beings as well. It's not just for the athletes sake, I think most other fans would rather not have to listen to the idiots run their mouths the whole time.

In this case the team said they issued warnings to fans - which seems totally useless, and even liable (basically saying we know this guy crosses the line, but we're letting him stay anyway)? There should be a rules for conduct - and when you cross the line, you get removed from the crowd.
    I think they'll go easy on him. A couple of weeks ago he was grabbed by a fan (not in an aggressive way but still, a fan reached out and grabbed him) and he openly talked about the league needing to do more to protect the players.

Silver is a players commissioner, at the end of the day they have to show they care about the fans so maybe a minimal fine or at most 1 game suspension , but he's not going to do something that would **** off the players and others have also talked about the things Westbrook did
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Fighting! Advanced Members Posts: 4,419 ✭✭

I feel that Lebron, stuck on the Lakers for the next three years, is probably done winning championships. Still a top five or so offensive player and can score at will but seems that his stock as a teammate is on the decline as a result of this past year. I.e. players might be leery at this point of teaming up with Lebron and/or Lakers management.