New 2019 Bushnell Pro XE

Comments

• ChubbydogChubbydog Members Posts: 185 ✭✭✭

Right now, I've got the Leupold GX4i as well. I've never even used the elevation. Not even sure it has it. Only the slope. I do hit my PW 140-145 at 4500', but at sea level, it's probably closer to 130-133 range. I play a lot of courses with elevated greens, and I like the slope feature. Really, it's all I need to be honest, and I like being able to stick it to the cart. The reason I'll probably keep this one. Seems a little quicker to get a yardage as well. I take a trip south every year during the winter though, and play several courses between 2000' down to sea level, and it affects the shot quite a bit. I was just hoping I could set the default to 4500', and when I took the trip, it would calculate what yardage to hit based on my home courses at 4500'. I was hoping I could go down there, and it would say 150 yards to the hole, but play it for 160 since you dropped 4000' in elevation. Or if I'm playing somewhere in between there, it would say play it for 155 since you are now at 2500'. Just make it a little quicker to pick a club, instead of trying to figure it out in my head first.

Taylor Made M5 10.5* Tensei Orange S flex
    Taylor Made M5 15* 3 wood S flex
    Callaway Epic Flash 18.5 5 wood S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-P S300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 F grind 52, 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM7 M grind 62*
    Toulon Palm Beach
  • Ti-Cip Ti-Cip Members Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭✭

with your leupold, you can manually set the elevation!!! read your manual, or even download it from their website. you can manually set elevation and temp!! that seems to wrap up all your concerns, however, I still believe the bushnell does the same thing, but it automatically calculates those numbers!!

• scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 4, 2019 8:59pm #124

I can understand what youth are saying.

@Chubbydog , you really need to find out what sea level yardages you hit your clubs then work from there.

One thing I was thinking of about the temperature thing; I am in Houston and Scotland for all my golf this year. Scotland being my home country. at 15* C I hit my 7 iron 185 and I know this as its the average temp I play golf in. Now here in Houston I just got back from the range at 28* C and really humid and the ball was going miles.

What temp at sea level does the yardage actually play the yardage?

• Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

So being new to the jolt technology, is there a way to turn this on? I haven't had it jolt once in 4 rounds. I played with the mode set up, but I could only change the yards/meters, and the brightness. Does it only lock on the flags with the reflectors, or will the jolt come on with any flag? I couldn't find the instruction manual to download for this model.

Toulon Palm Beach
  • LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, IndianaMembers Posts: 725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 10, 2019 4:27pm #126

@Chubbydog said:
    So being new to the jolt technology, is there a way to turn this on? I haven't had it jolt once in 4 rounds. I played with the mode set up, but I could only change the yards/meters, and the brightness. Does it only lock on the flags with the reflectors, or will the jolt come on with any flag? I couldn't find the instruction manual to download for this model.

https://www.bushnellgolf.com/content/product/Laser Rangfinders/Pro XE/Manual/User_Manual_201950_Pro_XE_10LIM_FullManual_web.pdf
    I used mine twice and was only able to get it to jolt a handful of times. I'm going to try what the manual says about moving it slowly across the area towards the flag and maybe that'll help. I copied and pasted the section in the manual about the jolt feature if it doesn't work for you on mobile.
    "PINSEEKER™ WITH VISUAL JOLT®
    Ever have trouble getting distance to the flag? This advanced mode allows easy acquisition of the flag without inadvertently
    getting distances to background targets (i.e. trees) that have stronger signal strength.
    For ease of use, the device will always be in PinSeeker™ Mode.
    To use, align the aiming circle reticle onto the flag that you want distance to. Next, press and hold the Power/Fire button and
    move the laser slowly across an area until the aiming circle at the center of the display is located over the flag or desired
    object. If the laser beam recognized more than one object (for example, the flag and a group of trees behind it), only the
    distance to the closest object (the flag) will be displayed. The JOLT Technology provides two short bursts of vibration to
    confirm that the distance displayed is to the flag, and the red ring (Visual JOLT Indicator) around the outer edge of the
    display is activated, confirming the laser has ranged the correct target via Pinseeker. There may be times when the laser
    beam only sees one object in its path. In this case, the distance will be displayed, but because more than one object was not
    acquired, no JOLT indication will be provided.
    Tip: While pressing the Power/Fire button, you can move the device slowly from object to object and intentionally force the laser to hit multiple objects
    to ensure that you are only displaying the closest of the objects recognized by the laser. Once the device has shut off, the unit will always default back
    to the last mode used.
    "

Ping G410+
    Taylormade M5 5wood
    Epon AF-903 20°
    Taylormade P750 (pw, 9i, 8i)
    Taylormade P770 (7i & 6i)
    Taylormade P790 (5i & 4i)
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 50° 54° 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden

@Laznasty said:

https://www.bushnellgolf.com/content/product/Laser Rangfinders/Pro XE/Manual/User_Manual_201950_Pro_XE_10LIM_FullManual_web.pdf
    I used mine twice and was only able to get it to jolt a handful of times. I'm going to try what the manual says about moving it slowly across the area towards the flag and maybe that'll help. I copied and pasted the section in the manual about the jolt feature if it doesn't work for you on mobile.
    Ever have trouble getting distance to the flag? This advanced mode allows easy acquisition of the flag without inadvertently
    getting distances to background targets (i.e. trees) that have stronger signal strength.
    To use, align the aiming circle reticle onto the flag that you want distance to. Next, press and hold the Power/Fire button and
    move the laser slowly across an area until the aiming circle at the center of the display is located over the flag or desired
    object. If the laser beam recognized more than one object (for example, the flag and a group of trees behind it), only the
    distance to the closest object (the flag) will be displayed. The JOLT Technology provides two short bursts of vibration to
    confirm that the distance displayed is to the flag, and the red ring (Visual JOLT Indicator) around the outer edge of the
    display is activated, confirming the laser has ranged the correct target via Pinseeker. There may be times when the laser
    beam only sees one object in its path. In this case, the distance will be displayed, but because more than one object was not
    Tip: While pressing the Power/Fire button, you can move the device slowly from object to object and intentionally force the laser to hit multiple objects
    to ensure that you are only displaying the closest of the objects recognized by the laser. Once the device has shut off, the unit will always default back
    to the last mode used.
    "

Thank you. That makes sense, but I can't get this to JOLT on anything. I sat about 75 yards from a pin yesterday, and kept trying it. Never once could I get it to vibrate, or see the visual JOLT. I thought there would be a setting, or something I didn't have turned on. I remember playing with one from last year, and it seemed to lock on to every pin, and vibrate right away. I like that feeling knowing I've locked on to the right object.

Toulon Palm Beach
  • TwoheyTwohey SoCalMembers Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 12, 2019 2:43am #128

@Chubbydog said:

@Laznasty said:

to the last mode used.
    "

Thank you. That makes sense, but I can't get this to JOLT on anything. I sat about 75 yards from a pin yesterday, and kept trying it. Never once could I get it to vibrate, or see the visual JOLT. I thought there would be a setting, or something I didn't have turned on. I remember playing with one from last year, and it seemed to lock on to every pin, and vibrate right away. I like that feeling knowing I've locked on to the right object.

Try this: Aim at trees beyond the flag; press & hold the fire button to get yardarge; now pan to the flag.

I had the same problem as well. The problem sounds like it may be designed to not jolt if the closest object is picked up first. My habit is to aim at the flag right away and shoot. The Pro X2 would lock and jolt in that scenario.
    The Pro XE seems to have different Jolt logic programmed. Once I started aiming at objects behind the flag first then scan to the flag, the XE will jolt and lock on. Annoying IMO...

• LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, IndianaMembers Posts: 725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twohey said:

@Chubbydog said:

@Laznasty said:

to the last mode used.
    "

Try this: Aim at trees beyond the flag; press & hold the fire button to get yardarge; now pan to the flag.

I had the same problem as well. The problem sounds like it may be designed to not jolt if the closest object is picked up first. My habit is to aim at the flag right away and shoot. The Pro X2 would lock and jolt in that scenario.
    The Pro XE seems to have different Jolt logic programmed. Once I started aiming at objects behind the flag first then scan to the flag, the XE will jolt and lock on. Annoying IMO...

I came from the X2 as well and I'm used to just going straight for the flag, so thanks for the pointer I'll definitely give it a shot! Now all I need is for the weather to cooperate. It was in the 70's over the weekend and now it's back down to the 40's... Gotta love the weather in the Midwest this time of year.

Ping G410+
    Taylormade M5 5wood
    Epon AF-903 20°
    Taylormade P750 (pw, 9i, 8i)
    Taylormade P770 (7i & 6i)
    Taylormade P790 (5i & 4i)
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 50° 54° 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Twohey said:

@Chubbydog said:

@Laznasty said:

to the last mode used.
    "

Interesting.

I am using mine at a tree lined course next week then back to Scotland and links golf so there will be no trees so see how it goes there.

• TwoheyTwohey SoCalMembers Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

@scott_Donald said:

@Twohey said:

@Chubbydog said:

@Laznasty said:

to the last mode used.
    "

Interesting.

I am using mine at a tree lined course next week then back to Scotland and links golf so there will be no trees so see how it goes there.

The main thing is to just shoot something further away, then pan to the pin. Hopefully your usual courses have other objects you can use as target.

@Twohey said:

@scott_Donald said:

@Twohey said:

@Chubbydog said:

@Laznasty said:

to the last mode used.
    "

Interesting.

The main thing is to just shoot something further away, then pan to the pin. Hopefully your usual courses have other objects you can use as target.

In Houston most of this year but will be golfing about 2 months home in Scotland this summer. Need to make the most of my membership there!

• pat_katopat_kato ClubWRX Posts: 79 ClubWRX

@Chubbydog said:

I'm having the same problem as well. I was thinking I bought a defective product. This is my first Bushnell rangefinder so I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm going to try what was suggested above also and hope for the best.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback 9º HZRDUS Smoke Stiff Flex
    Fairway: Cobra F9 3/4 ATMOS Blue 7 Stiff Flex
    Hybrid: Cobra F9 3H ATMOS 7 Stiff Flex
    Irons: Nike Vapor Combo Pro Irons 5-AW True Temper Dynalite 105 Stiff Flex
    Wedges: Titleist SM7 52º, 56º, 60º Stock Shaft
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5

well after using mine yesterday. key to get the jolt is keep your finger on the button. then pan to the flag and boom. thanks for all the tips earlier.

Massive upgrade over my 1600 Tournament that is still going strong after 10 years!

still trying to figure out the adjusted yardages and how they relate to me who's yardages are based off playing in Scotland.

@pat_kato said:

I'm having the same problem as well. I was thinking I bought a defective product. This is my first Bushnell rangefinder so I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm going to try what was suggested above also and hope for the best.

I ended up taking my first one back, and getting another one. The first one I received was defective I believe. The guy there couldn't get it to vibrate on anything. Tried a couple different ones till we found one that would. I ended up taking that one. I've had it jolt a couple different times by panning on something behind the flag, and then going to the flag. This one is working 1out of 6 or 7 times. I've got a feeling that I'm gonna be taking this one back, and just getting last years model. That one seems to work quite a bit better than this. The element feature is worthless to me at elevation, and the jolt only works 20% of the time. Hopefully by next year, they can work out the bugs, and make it work for people at all elevations. I'll probably play with it for a few more weeks first, and then decide.

Toulon Palm Beach

on mine, I just noticed that the rubber eyepiece came loose.. it actually just popped off in the case. I am going to exchange for another, but I think I just might end up with a leupold gx5i3.. I want something reliable.

• pat_katopat_kato ClubWRX Posts: 79 ClubWRX

@scott_Donald said:
    well after using mine yesterday. key to get the jolt is keep your finger on the button. then pan to the flag and boom. thanks for all the tips earlier.

Massive upgrade over my 1600 Tournament that is still going strong after 10 years!

still trying to figure out the adjusted yardages and how they relate to me who's yardages are based off playing in Scotland.

This worked great for me. Worked consistently for me. Love this thing now. That Bite magnet is legit. MASSIVE upgrade from my Nikon Coolshot 20.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback 9º HZRDUS Smoke Stiff Flex
    Fairway: Cobra F9 3/4 ATMOS Blue 7 Stiff Flex
    Hybrid: Cobra F9 3H ATMOS 7 Stiff Flex
    Irons: Nike Vapor Combo Pro Irons 5-AW True Temper Dynalite 105 Stiff Flex
    Wedges: Titleist SM7 52º, 56º, 60º Stock Shaft
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 7:38pm #138

Why golf rangefinders are 5x cost of hunting ones is beyond me, they dont do anything much different.........they just know golfers are suckers.........found hunting ones that do everything my $400 bushnell does for $99..........cept jolt when flag is hit, lol
    Yeah that worth an extra $300, haha

I am the sucker this time

Better believe when this one craps out tho I will not buy another golf specific one........

• IC3BURGHIC3BURGH Members Posts: 354 ✭✭

Screw all the fancy slope features, I want it just for the magnetic mount.

to date, i am really disappointed in the quality of this unit, as i mentioned above, the rubber eye cup started peeling away within a couple of rounds. i exchanged for a gx 5i3 and the leupold is just better quality. i like the display better too with the leupold. both are great at locking on targets and quickly. i am just not sure how much more accurate the bushnell will be as far as the air pressure and temp. vs the leupold where i manually enter temp and elevation. i imagine for me,, it will be negligible.

well a few rounds with my XE and so far so good -

Pros:
    Its fast.
    Clear when it grabs the flag.
    Elements is definitely accurate, certainly pin high more often, also striking the ball awesome helps.
    Bite mount was perfect for Buggys.

Cons:
    The case sucks, improved my ****, hard to get it out and I am just going to use the specific pocket in my Hoofer.
    Played links today and it struggled to get a couple flags with no backdrop behind it.

I still want to know exactly how Elements works, so far its accurate enough but I don't understand how it gets the distance differences. Last night was cold, sea level and I was getting 10 yards to add on to 140 yard shots. Today it was warmer on the same course and was getting 4 yards. When I was in Houston it was much warmer but it was giving me 4 yards to add on also.

• swgolferswgolfer GoLow2 Members Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

Ti-CIP, couldnt agree more on the declining quality of Bushnell products, Leupold's are a much higher quality build and as mentioned all over these threads the technology is about the same on much lower priced units that capture the flag and screen out any background yardages, in my opinion the market will continue to move away from the "High price" brands as people realize they are no better.

• gsbeckergsbecker Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I purchased one, and can only say it is great. Works fast, the "play as" or elements feature is helpful. I have no problem with the jolt tech at all. I'm a little confused why others are. Don't have a problem with the case either, but my rangefinders sits in a pocket of my bag anyway. Replaced a Nikon one. I was not always sure I was acquiring the right target, and probably spent too much time trying to figure that out. The jolt tech has helped me with accurate and fast information. Very happy with it!

• bitt03bitt03 Members Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭

2 weeks in to owning this and I am super happy with the performance. The optic is crystal clear and I think the new algorithm on slope and conditions is more accurate than previous versions.

• PT1911PT1911 Members Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I plopped down the coin for one of these about a month ago. Super happy with it so far! I was coming from an old Nikon Monarch that still works good, but didn’t have any tech in it.

Ping G410+ 9* Accra TZ5 M5
    Ping G410 LST 3 wood Tour AD-IZ 7
    Ping G410 3H Tensei Pro Blue
    Ping i500 4-PW Recoil SmacWrap
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
    Ping PLD Bruzer
  • flyhighandlongflyhighandlong Members Posts: 283 ✭✭
    edited May 27, 2019 4:46pm #146

First time with the Pro XE. I give it a huge thumbs up. Fast and accurate. Love the red on it, got the jolt when locked on the flag. Optics are fantastic, nothing better out there. Case was easy to get in and out of, however wish it was like the one I had on my Tour x. Still I give it an A+, looking forward to the next round.

has anyone managed to get the laser on the flat to say it's paying less than the real yardage?

Today it was 96F humid and still was saying playing the yardage - 177 was 177.
    Last week Scotland 55
    F humid and saying 140 was 148.

Still never seen it to estimate less on the flat.

I have gone between this and a leupold, and at first I thought the leupold was better. nut now, after using the XE for the last month I will say that I think its great. locks on very fast, and so far the yardages seem spot on

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of rounds under my belt now with my Pro XE and this is a massive improvement on old my ancient Bushnell which is about 8 years old now. Locking onto any target is super quick, the display is bright and clear. Very happy with my purchase!

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • spartanglfrspartanglfr Members Posts: 375 ✭✭✭✭

For the price of this thing, it should be able to adjust yardage based on what I had for breakfast. I just played with a guy who bought it, and we compared the yardages to my 5 year old Leupold (with slope) and our yardages varied by a couple of yards on average. It's a nice rangefinder, but has a lot of gimmicks that aren't worth the $$$ for me.

• StetsonStetson Members Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ti-Cip said:
    I finally understand what you are saying. and I don't even know how to respond. what rangefinder have you used in the past that gave you the correct yardage given this same shot? I still don't see how the pro xe is gonna be wrong. maybe you don't actually hit your pw 140? because all my research and even confirming with bushnell today is that the unit takes into account elevation by temp and air pressure. so at your elevation 150 yds plays at 140. that makes 100% sense to me. so I am curious what rangefinder worked for you in the past at your 4500' courses??

I do not think he is complaining, as much as clarifying. As someone that lives at an altitude of 1,000' my need isnt as dramatic as his. However, I understand the concern.

If I go to the range and hit 5 iron 100 times at the 200 yard flag and I determine I would use my 5i from 200 yards, but then stand on the course and it says 200 with an elevation adjustment of 195 that would pose an issue. Because in this sense I know for a fact I need to hit a 5 iron 200 yards, but the range finder is telling me to hit a 5i 195 yards because the rangefinder is subtracting a little bit due to elevation.

I know there is no rangefinder that allows you to set your home elevation and adjust based upon that fact moving forward. I am just saying that the question concerning the effect of elevation at home is a very real concern. If I am hitting a 200 yard shot practiced at 200 yards than I do not need a 195 yard shot. I believe the only solution is to move to sea level and hit so many golf balls that you can reset all your distances based at sea level -or- find a flat spot on a course/range and scope a flag at 75/100/125/150/175/200/225/250/275 and write down the adjusted distance (will look something like 72/96/121/140/169/193/218/242/266) then operate off of those numbers moving forward because the distances in your brain are not aligning with your rangefinder. It would take a lot of time to become accustomed to your sea level adjusted numbers, and a few seconds extra to mentally process "Rangefinder says 200 yards, adjusted to 188 due to "elements", add back in the 7 yards due to sea level adjustment... okay I need to hit this 195 because only 5 yards are due to slope, temperate and humidity".

Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD DI)
    3H: Ping G400 (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Accra)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file