Mini drivers vs tall faced 3/4 wood. Options?

boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,576 ✭✭
Who makes or produced a mini driver besides Cally and Tm. Is there a similar tall faced 4 wood?

Comments

• mcs4mcs4 South FloridaMembers Posts: 650 ✭✭
    The semi-recent Callaway and TM models are basically it in terms of reasonably modern clubs. IMO the Callaway is very similar to old pre-460cc Cally drivers, just with more loft and more up-to-date technology. The TMs are slightly more similar to taller-faced fairways (i.e. less driver-like) to my eye but you still wouldn't confuse them with a 3/4 wood.

I'm not sure that there's anything more recent than those that would be similar, as the popularity of taller-faced fairways primarily intended as tee clubs seem to be on the downswing again, possibly due to increases in technology and the trend of pros/long hitters going with higher-lofted 3ws/4ws.
    Cobra King F7 (Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60, stiff)
    Cobra AMP 4w (Comp CZ)
    Mizuno MP-H4 3 iron (Aldila Tour Green 85)
    Mizuno MP-H4 4 iron (Steelfiber 95)
    Mizuno MP-25 5-PW (Steelfiber 110)
    Ping i E1, 50 deg. (Recoil 110)
    Nike Engage 56 deg. (Recoil 95)
    Nike Engage 59 deg. (Recoil 95)
  • cmatthews77cmatthews77 Members Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Not that I know of in terms of other mini drivers. Callaway for a while as also making the 3-deep (and there was a 4-deep version) fairway wood which was a taller fairway wood. I'd say it's a club that specializes in those that like to hit fairway woods off the tee a lot and want a taller/deeper looking face. I don't think they've released those since the 2015 XR series...

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/fairway-woods/fwoods-2015-xr-deep.html

I have the Callaway Big Bertha Mini 1.5. It's a super fun club to own. It looks good and performs well. The problem is honestly it's just kind of pointless unless you just can NOT stand hitting a modern 460cc driver.

I don't have (and most people won't in my opinion) have the swing speed and talent to hit the Big Bertha Mini 1.5 off the deck effectively better than a 3-wood. It's too long and tall for that purpose. So it's primarily a tee ball club. You could use it as a 3-wood off the tee but then I'd recommend shortening the shaft a bit as it's likely to kind of get close to your driver so again what's the point unless you're just not comfortable with driver.

So all in all it's a really cool club that I enjoy having in my office to occasionally take to the range and play around with but I rarely ever bag it for serious rounds.
    Callaway
    GBB Epic Driver (9.5) - Project X HZRDUS
    GBB Epic 3W (14) - Diamana
    GBB Epic 5W (18) - Project X HZRDUS
    Apex 3 & 4 Hybrid- Kuro Kage
    '16 Apex CF16 (5i), '16 Apex Pro (6,7), '18 Apex MB (8-PW) Recoil 95
    MD3 Black 52 & 58 (PM Grind)
    Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis or X
    * I don't know now-- ball study has everyone goin' crazy!
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,116 ✭✭
    Wishon!

919 F/D is awesome. Tall face, 260cc, variety of lofts, bendable hosel, HOT face. Not much to dislike.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,334 ✭✭
    boggyman wrote:

Who makes or produced a mini driver besides Cally and Tm. Is there a similar tall faced 4 wood?

Ping produced a Rapture mini driver - 13* with some adjustability. It sounds great, was pretty hot, and I cannot see that the more current ones would be any better.
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,576 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

boggyman wrote:

Ping produced a Rapture mini driver - 13* with some adjustability. It sounds great, was pretty hot, and I cannot see that the more current ones would be any better.

Forgot about the Ping. Thanks.

nohny noke wrote:

Wishon!

919 F/D is awesome. Tall face, 260cc, variety of lofts, bendable hosel, HOT face. Not much to dislike.

Thanks. Something different and I like different.
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,576 ✭✭
    Thanks for responding. This would be used pretty much a tee club.
  • Peanut191Peanut191 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭

Not that I know of in terms of other mini drivers. Callaway for a while as also making the 3-deep (and there was a 4-deep version) fairway wood which was a taller fairway wood. I'd say it's a club that specializes in those that like to hit fairway woods off the tee a lot and want a taller/deeper looking face. I don't think they've released those since the 2015 XR series...

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/fairway-woods/fwoods-2015-xr-deep.html

I have the Callaway Big Bertha Mini 1.5. It's a super fun club to own. It looks good and performs well. The problem is honestly it's just kind of pointless unless you just can NOT stand hitting a modern 460cc driver.

I don't have (and most people won't in my opinion) have the swing speed and talent to hit the Big Bertha Mini 1.5 off the deck effectively better than a 3-wood. It's too long and tall for that purpose. So it's primarily a tee ball club. You could use it as a 3-wood off the tee but then I'd recommend shortening the shaft a bit as it's likely to kind of get close to your driver so again what's the point unless you're just not comfortable with driver.

So all in all it's a really cool club that I enjoy having in my office to occasionally take to the range and play around with but I rarely ever bag it for serious rounds.

I think they only made a 2 Deep at 12.5, a 3 Deep at 14.5 and a 5 Deep at 17.5 in the X2 series. I could be off on the lofts, but I don’t remember a 4 Deep.
    M2 10.5, set to 9.75, D5, KK XT 70s
    M2 Tour 16.5, Diamana Thump 85s
    Titleist 913 21* Kiyoshi White 95 04 flex
    Srixon 745 4-PW, Dynamic Gold 115s
    Callaway Razr Forged GW 51
    Vokey 56F 14 bounce, Vokey 60M
    Scotty Newport 1.5
  • Pack7483Pack7483 Members Posts: 631 ✭✭
    Wish Callaway would make a mini deep driver with Jailbreak.
  • pt73pt73 Members Posts: 607 ✭✭
    Ping are still selling the Stretch which is 12cc bigger than the comparable G400 fairway.

I'm a fan of Mini Drivers as it suits my course layout so have the SLDR Mini, Bertha Mini and a G Stretch.

All of them are great clubs for me.
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,101 ✭✭
    Peanut191 wrote:

I think they only made a 2 Deep at 12.5, a 3 Deep at 14.5 and a 5 Deep at 17.5 in the X2 series. I could be off on the lofts, but I don’t remember a 4 Deep.

Unfortunately there is no 4deep.
  • geochitowngeochitown Members Posts: 1,672 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 4:15pm #12
    I think the 5deep is 18.5*
    Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - TP6HD Firm tipped xx" - 44.25" (CANNON!)
    TEE XCG7 Beta 5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 1.625" at 41.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Maxfli Revolution Black 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43,48) at -1/2" length DGS300U
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*)
    Vokey SM5 58-07S (bent to 60*)
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain milled - cerakote sniper gray - silver dots and white sight line
     Coutour Dornoch Putter 33" - 365g Head - SS Flatso 2.0
  • JohnKHawkJohnKHawk Members Posts: 725 ✭✭
    Don't forget about the"Thriver" from Hireko. I guess it was supposed to be a cross between a driver & three wood. Only one I can think of that wasn't already mentioned.
  • EaglesGolf99EaglesGolf99 (.... Formerly Known As RaidersGolf99) Foxboro, MAMembers Posts: 2,405 ✭✭

Pictures of this 4 Deep you speak of or it didn't happen!!
    2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

Callaway Epic Flash 9.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X
    Callaway TC Rogue 4+ 16.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 X
    Callaway TC Apex 2H 18.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway TC Apex 4H 23.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 27.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Callaway X-Forged UT 30.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 CB-57 7-8 Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 Baby Blade 9-P Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 52.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 58.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 KM-007 Soft Black Apollo APPN 36 Black Smoke S
    Callaway 2018 Chrome Soft X
  • EaglesGolf99EaglesGolf99 (.... Formerly Known As RaidersGolf99) Foxboro, MAMembers Posts: 2,405 ✭✭
    Peanut191 wrote:

5 Deep is 18.5° but outside that, this is correct as far as I know it!
    2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

Pack7483 wrote:

Wish Callaway would make a mini deep driver with Jailbreak.

YES!

Mini Driver with Jailbreak (Adjustable Tip)

Mini Driver with Jailbreak (Glued Head)

PLEASE!!
    2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

• phonguy10phonguy10 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I have used over the past 3 years a Cobra X speed 3+ fairway off the tee only. It has a tall face and actually is about the size of the driver heads back in the day. Almost as long as a driver and much more play in the fairway.
  • LemondeLemonde Members Posts: 744 ✭✭
    JohnKHawk wrote:

Don't forget about the"Thriver" from Hireko. I guess it was supposed to be a cross between a driver & three wood. Only one I can think of that wasn't already mentioned.

I have the Thriver Mini in the bag image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Driver - TM M5 Tour 435 10.5 Tensei Stock Orange X
    On Order - TM Original One Mini 13.5 Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
    Fairway - Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 
    Hybrid - TM M6 19 Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
    Irons - W/S C300 Forged 5-GW KBS Tour V XStiff
    Wedge - Mizuno S18 56
    Wedge - TM Hi Toe 58
    Putter - Rife Phenom.Z 34”