Stuck Iron Head - Dry Fit

MysteryVMysteryV Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
Guys,

I feel a bit dumb posting this, but I was dry fitting a heads onto a shaft and the thing is as stuck as stuck gets. I've worn out my hands trying to twist it off. I've put it in a vise and twisted / pulled. I've given it a few raps with a soft mallet. I've stuck an alignment stick down the shaft and given it a few raps. I've heated it with a torch.

Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas here? Unfortunately it's a brand new black Miura head, and Oban CT-115 shaft, so I'm hoping not to damage anything.

:/

HELP!!!
Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Tensei PO
3 Wood: Epic 3+ w/ GD AD-DI
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/ Oban CT-115
Wedges: Miura Y Grind 51, Miura K Grind 56,60 w/ Modus Wedge
Putter: Scotty Newport 2 - AOP Oval Track

Comments

• ClafooneClafoone Hobbyist Members Posts: 118 ✭✭
    done the same thing...used a shaft puller.

Randy
    Callaway Rogue Draw: 8.5° using a LH adapter/ Diamana S+ 62
    Callaway Rogue 4W: bent to 16°/ UST Competition 65
    Ping G Hybrids: 19° & 22°/ UST Proforce V2 hybrid (MOI Matched)
    Maltby KE4 S: 5 - GW/ Wishon S2S White (MOI Matched)
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 CB Black Satin: 54° & 58 Wishon S2S White (MOI Matched)
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,721 ✭✭
    Shaft puller. Or if you have a big enough freezer, or leave it outside if it's cold, then torch the head.
  • MysteryVMysteryV Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
    Guess I'll take it into Golf Mart tomorrow and see if they might help.

Since I'm lucky enough to have such helpful folks - maybe you can help me with the question that got me into this prediciment. For some reason, after reaming the heads (Miura come very tight) with a .355 reamer (from Golfworks - by hand) - I seem to get differing depths of insertion. 4 of the 7 will go about 1.15" in, while the P, 8, 7, bottom out around 0.95 inches.

This really bothers me, but I'm not sure if it should, nor am I sure what to do about it.

Any advice is appreciated.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,236 ClubWRX
    Steel (not fibreglass) rod down the shaft and pound the head off. It should pop off relatively easily unless you pounded it on. Then you just need to hit it harder than you pounded it on to get the head off.

You are not reaming to the bottom of the hosel. There is no question about that in my mind. Take a small object (I have a thin rod on my bench) and measure to the bottom of the hosel. If it doesn't agree with the inserted depth, you need to ream it better.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,721 ✭✭
    Socrates wrote:

Steel (not fibreglass) rod down the shaft and pound the head off. It should pop off relatively easily unless you pounded it on. Then you just need to hit it harder than you pounded it on to get the head off.

You are not reaming to the bottom of the hosel. There is no question about that in my mind. Take a small object (I have a thin rod on my bench) and measure to the bottom of the hosel. If it doesn't agree with the inserted depth, you need to ream it better.

This.

It can only be the depth and diameter of the ream job or the diameter of the shaft. Check each of the shafts and the depth of the bore with a set of calipers and you'll know.
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,015 ClubWRX
    Have you tried adding a little heat to it? Maybe spraying a little WD40 in it?
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS yellow 76 6.0 
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB Nippon Modus 120s  4-P
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,236 ClubWRX
    Nixhex524 wrote:

He needs to be careful with any of that since it is a black head and you don't want to do anything that will change the color.
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,361 ✭✭
    Agree with the rod. Add a little penetrating oil on the edge of the shaft to hosel contact too. Just be sure to clean off the oil afterwards or your epoxy won't stick.
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • HitaHouseHitaHouse Members Posts: 127 ✭✭
    The thermal difference approach may actually help - put some crushed ice down the shaft (dry ice if you can get it) and let the shaft get cold, use a shaft puller if you have one and apply finger warmth to the hosel while it is under load.
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 537 ✭✭
    Having been in this situation before putting the head under running hot water for a bit has helped in the past.

If that doesn't work, shaft puller is the way to go.
  • MysteryVMysteryV Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
    Thank you everyone!

Thing was STUCK STUCK. I took it into The Golf Mart and they were able to use the hydraulic shaft puller to take the head off. Original problem solved.

Now the issue remains that the shafts just wont seat all the way down in the heads. Reading through previous threads, Miura heads need to be reamed, however I've done that with the .355 reamer that Golfworks sells, and am now at a loss as to what to do. I certainly don't want to to create slop in the hosels, and I also don't want to take material off the shaft tips.

Thoughts?
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,442 ClubWRX
    You would be better off sanding the shafts a little to see if that helps. It will be the easiest solution. Be very careful around graphite when sanding, nasty stuff. Do not use air for anything while sanding. If you could place the shaft on a rubber mat and spin it while applying sandpaper to the shaft. Make sure to tape off any area not being sanded. Electrical tape might be good for this.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,224 ✭✭
    platgof wrote:

You would be better off sanding the shafts a little to see if that helps. It will be the easiest solution. Be very careful around graphite when sanding, nasty stuff. Do not use air for anything while sanding. If you could place the shaft on a rubber mat and spin it while applying sandpaper to the shaft. Make sure to tape off any area not being sanded. Electrical tape might be good for this.

Oban CT-115’s are steel shafts.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
    Socrates wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

He needs to be careful with any of that since it is a black head and you don't want to do anything that will change the color.

It's amazing what even a very little bit of heat can do... if you damage a black head with a flame you should never be allowed to play with fire ever again.
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
    Nixhex524 wrote:

Socrates wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

It's amazing what even a very little bit of heat can do... if you damage a black head with a flame you should never be allowed to play with fire ever again.

More concerned about the WD-40 staining it.
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Socrates wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

Socrates wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

More concerned about the WD-40 staining it.

Won't happen. You should only be applying it to the inside of the hosel in this case anyway. Like mentioned earlier, you'd only have to be concerned about getting it all cleaned out before epoxy. If it gets on the outside, just wipe it off.
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV