17.5 Ping 410 5 Wood...... now what?

buckhorn70

So I bought a Ping 410 17.5 5 Wood today... I am going away from my old Ping G30 14.5 / 18 Degree Combo. I just didn’t use my 14.5 enough or with quality results. I have plenty of swing speed/distance for the 14.5 but it was just not a good club for me as I had more confidence with the 18 degree 5 wood. It never seemed I was hitting the 14.5 much further than the 18 degree 5 Wood.

Anyway...... I hit into the monitor with my G30 18 and my carry was 230-235 The new Ping 410 17.5 carry was 245-250. I want to be in the 250-260 range with my first fairway wood, so I am somewhat satisfied on that front. Couple of questions.....

1). I got 245 carry with the new Ping 410 17.5 degree and it had a 42.5” shaft. What would I gain distance wise with a 43” shaft.... 5 to 10 yards??

2). What would be the next club to put in between my new 17 degree fairway wood(245yds) and my 4 iron(215yds)? I want one more club in between..... 7 wood or a hybrid?

3). Can you really manipulate the degree of loft on the Ping 5 wood. Litature says 1.5 degrees either way. Can I make the 17.5 degree a 16/16.5 degree club? Doesn’t seem logical to me?!?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @buckhorn70 said:

> So I bought a Ping 410 17.5 5 Wood today... I am going away from my old Ping G30 14.5 / 18 Degree Combo. I just didn’t use my 14.5 enough or with quality results. I have plenty of swing speed/distance for the 14.5 but it was just not a good club for me as I had more confidence with the 18 degree 5 wood. It never seemed I was hitting the 14.5 much further than the 18 degree 5 Wood.

> Anyway...... I hit into the monitor with my G30 18 and my carry was 230-235 The new Ping 410 17.5 carry was 245-250. I want to be in the 250-260 range with my first fairway wood, so I am somewhat satisfied on that front. Couple of questions.....

>

> 1). I got 245 carry with the new Ping 410 17.5 degree and it had a 42.5” shaft. What would I gain distance wise with a 43” shaft.... 5 to 10 yards??

>

> 2). What would be the next club to put in between my new 17 degree fairway wood(245yds) and my 4 iron(215yds)? I want one more club in between..... 7 wood or a hybrid?

>

> 3). Can you really manipulate the degree of loft on the Ping 5 wood. Litature says 1.5 degrees either way. Can I make the 17.5 degree a 16/16.5 degree club? Doesn’t seem logical to me?!?

>

I've been looking at this club (or the G400 17.5*) as well.

#1. Unclear. It really depends on whether you hit the ball better/worse with a different shaft length. Assuming the strike consistency is the same, I doubt 1/2 inch would add 5-10 yards but some fitters can probably give you a better answer.

#2. The G410 has plenty of options here (7 wood at 20.5* or the 3H/4H at 19*/22*). I don't know whether you prefer hybrids or woods and it would be best to hit each to see which one gaps the best between the 5 wood and 4 iron. Personally, I like one fairway (17*-19* range) and one hybrid. I think the hybrid is more versatile out of the rough/sidehill lies with the smaller head/shaft. If I was only hitting shots from the fairway/tee box, I would probably chose a 2nd fairway wood though. Others will give you pros for the 2nd fairway, so there's really no right answer here other than what you like most.

#3. Check the clubmaking section of the forums. There is a thread that talks about adjustable drivers, and they can explain things better than I can. In summary, changing the adapter settings to -1 (16.5*) or -1.5 (16*) will open the face angle of the club. When you square the clubface, the effective loft will now be lower. I've always wondered if this changes how a fairway wood goes through the turf (not really relevant for drivers), but people seem to do it just fine, so I assume this amount of loft adjustment doesn't change things too much.

Edit: I have no idea why the font in #1, #2, and #3 is so large. I can't figure out how to change it and don't want to re-type everything.

Adjustable 3h or 7w

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Yes, it becomes a 16 or 16.5. That is the easiest thing for you to try. They also have lie angle adjustments so you can get it flatter

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Seems like a 3 hybrid would be the right fit. It gets tough comparing fairway woods/hybrids due to shaft length. But in regards to filling a space in the bag distancewise, it seems like a 3 hybrid will be the ticket based on the distances you provided. Being as you play a 4-iron, it seems like a hybrid would be a better fit for your game than a 7-wood.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

what loft is your 4 iron?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @buckhorn70 said:

> I’m going to try a 3 Hybrid next week in the monitor and see how far it flies against my new 17.5 5 Wood.

I just did a fitting for that end of my bag, and ended up getting the G410 2H and G410 5W, both with Tensei shafts. I suspect that you will find that the 3H (19*) and the 5W will go pretty much the same distance, but with different trajectories. The 2H will be at least marginally longer than the 5W, with significantly lower ball flight.

Question #1: No way to know until you hit it; the trade-offs are obvious.

Question #2: I think the answer to this one might be a good place to take a look at what shots you are most likely to be playing with that club. The hybrid will be easier to hit, the 7W will fly a LOT higher. But I think you'll want to get on a monitor anyway; you're already carrying a 4 iron, and a 3H will likely go farther than a 7W, maybe a LOT farther. It's easy to get fooled by how high a 7W goes and think it is giving you more distance than it is; for me, the 4H gives me 7W distance.

As to Question #3 in your OP, put me 100% in the camp of those that believe that what you are really changing is face angle. The loft change, as has been noted before, a change in EFFECTIVE loft, that may or may not occur on a given swing. And even if it does happen, you are talking about a degree or so of loft, which is only about 20-25% of the loft difference between your 8 and 9 irons. In other words, it ain't a big deal even if it is happening. Face angle, on the other hand, IS a big deal.

In my experience, most good club fitters fit you to a loft and shaft for a distance number, and then use hosel settings to tweak dispersion. That's a bit of an oversimplification, but you get the idea. I don't think you would find many good fitters who would be using hosel settings to get to ideal launch conditions. In fact, we didn't even put the CP2 grips on until yesterday because my guy wanted me to practice a play some before I decided on the hosel settings I wanted.

> @buckhorn70 said:

> So I bought a Ping 410 17.5 5 Wood today... I am going away from my old Ping G30 14.5 / 18 Degree Combo. I just didn’t use my 14.5 enough or with quality results. I have plenty of swing speed/distance for the 14.5 but it was just not a good club for me as I had more confidence with the 18 degree 5 wood. It never seemed I was hitting the 14.5 much further than the 18 degree 5 Wood.

> Anyway...... I hit into the monitor with my G30 18 and my carry was 230-235 The new Ping 410 17.5 carry was 245-250. I want to be in the 250-260 range with my first fairway wood, so I am somewhat satisfied on that front. Couple of questions.....

>

> 1). I got 245 carry with the new Ping 410 17.5 degree and it had a 42.5” shaft. What would I gain distance wise with a 43” shaft.... 5 to 10 yards??

>

> 2). What would be the next club to put in between my new 17 degree fairway wood(245yds) and my 4 iron(215yds)? I want one more club in between..... 7 wood or a hybrid?

>

> 3). ** Can you really manipulate the degree of loft on the Ping 5 wood. Litature says 1.5 degrees either way. Can I make the 17.5 degree a 16/16.5 degree club? Doesn’t seem logical to me?!?**

>

You could also try the 14.5* 3-wood adjusting it to 16*. That might get you to 250 - 255.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I would say to try a 4 hybrid (21-22* range) to gap better with your 24* 4 iron

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @agolf1 said:

> > @buckhorn70 said:

> > So I bought a Ping 410 17.5 5 Wood today... I am going away from my old Ping G30 14.5 / 18 Degree Combo. I just didn’t use my 14.5 enough or with quality results. I have plenty of swing speed/distance for the 14.5 but it was just not a good club for me as I had more confidence with the 18 degree 5 wood. It never seemed I was hitting the 14.5 much further than the 18 degree 5 Wood.

> > Anyway...... I hit into the monitor with my G30 18 and my carry was 230-235 The new Ping 410 17.5 carry was 245-250. I want to be in the 250-260 range with my first fairway wood, so I am somewhat satisfied on that front. Couple of questions.....

> >

> > 1). I got 245 carry with the new Ping 410 17.5 degree and it had a 42.5” shaft. What would I gain distance wise with a 43” shaft.... 5 to 10 yards??

> >

> > 2). What would be the next club to put in between my new 17 degree fairway wood(245yds) and my 4 iron(215yds)? I want one more club in between..... 7 wood or a hybrid?

> >

> > 3). Can you really manipulate the degree of loft on the Ping 5 wood. Litature says 1.5 degrees either way. Can I make the 17.5 degree a 16/16.5 degree club? Doesn’t seem logical to me?!?

> >

> I've been looking at this club (or the G400 17.5*) as well.

>

> #1. Unclear. It really depends on whether you hit the ball better/worse with a different shaft length. Assuming the strike consistency is the same, I doubt 1/2 inch would add 5-10 yards but some fitters can probably give you a better answer.

>

> #2. The G410 has plenty of options here (7 wood at 20.5* or the 3H/4H at 19*/22*). I don't know whether you prefer hybrids or woods and it would be best to hit each to see which one gaps the best between the 5 wood and 4 iron. Personally, I like one fairway (17*-19* range) and one hybrid. I think the hybrid is more versatile out of the rough/sidehill lies with the smaller head/shaft. If I was only hitting shots from the fairway/tee box, I would probably chose a 2nd fairway wood though. Others will give you pros for the 2nd fairway, so there's really no right answer here other than what you like most.

>

> #3. Check the clubmaking section of the forums. There is a thread that talks about adjustable drivers, and they can explain things better than I can. In summary, changing the adapter settings to -1 (16.5*) or -1.5 (16*) will open the face angle of the club. When you square the clubface, the effective loft will now be lower. I've always wondered if this changes how a fairway wood goes through the turf (not really relevant for drivers), but people seem to do it just fine, so I assume this amount of loft adjustment doesn't change things too much.

>

> Edit: I have no idea why the font in #1, #2, and #3 is so large. I can't figure out how to change it and don't want to re-type everything.

#all you really need is 20/21* wood play a few rounds then adjust. JMO

• 1 month later...

```sh

The reason you are seeing huge text is Markdown. If you start a line like:

#1 this that the other

It's going to be in 'heading 1' - huge text. You can either do a \# to avoid it, or don't use # at all.

```

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.