Top of bag decision

KhooBot

Can't really decide on which club should go in my bag right now in these two slots after the driver

My current setup is:

Driver: M5 (10.5) Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 - 6.5

**(2 empty slots)**

4i: MP 18 MMC FliHi - C-Taper Lite 115X

5i-PW: JPX 900 Forged - C-Taper 130X

50*: TM Milled Grind (Standard Bounce)

54*: TM Milled Grind (High Bounce)

60*: TM Hi-Toe (ATV)

Putter

The 2 empty slots rotate between a couple of clubs that haven't really found their place in the bag including

3 wood: Cobra F7 (stock X-Stiff shaft) - Hard to make contact-low strikes, not confident off the tee, unpredictable flight

3 hybrid: Cobra F7 - Easy launching but easy to hook (Granted the shaft is a stock stiff shaft)

2UDI: P790 UDI - C-Taper 130X - Fun but doesn't seem like the best choice for daily use

Any suggestions on what to fill those two gaps with? (_Swing work? Reshaft? New club?_) I'm just looking for something that basically goes decently straight and easy to launch. I'm thinking of filling the 3i/3h spot with a MP 18 MMC FliHi 3i because I really love my 4i which carries about 210-215 yards.

To add on: I'm a 12 hcp currently, been playing for 2-ish years, 110-115mph SS for driver, plays a draw, misses are hooks (mostly lol) and the occasional push slice that goes 500 yards to the next fairway when flex my wrist on impact

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I'd suggest the 3 iron you were looking at and a 16.5* 4 wood. You should have the swing speed for the iron, and the 4 wood will be easier to hit due to the short shaft and extra loft and probably bridge the gap nicely between driver and 3 iron. Definitely try and hit a few to find the right shaft at your local shop if you can.

TM Stealth2 HZRDUS Black 6.0 60g

Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Ping G430 19* HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 80g

Srixon ZX7 4-PW C-Taper Lite 110s

Cleveland RTX 6 50,56,60

Ping PLD Oslo 4

I’m in a similar boat. Here is my logic on top of the bag options. I don’t need super long bombers after a driver. I need clubs that find the fairway off the tee and will play along on 250+ approaches to the green on long holes. Even if that means coming up a bit short off the deck I’m cool with that. The long deck shot isn’t too common in my game and courses I play. 230-250 is enough most times or I’m likely not making it in 2 anyways. And I’d rather be 60 yards short in-front of the green vs 20-30 yds left in deep rough.

I absolutely kill my 3i P790 off the tee (220-230), see no use for a 2 UDI, just as I see no sense for you to add a 3 Hi Fli. I’d suggest it will be too similar in distance.

For those reasons I’m in the market for a straight flying adjustable 3 wood and loft it 15-16.5 or a 5 wood. And to be able to put a nice easy swing on it. I don’t need a driver replacement. I need a club 40 yards shorter that I can place off the tee with more confidence first and foremost. And an easy 3 or 5 wood would do just fine I think.

Agreed with both above, distance isn't the issue, and depends on how often you go for par 5's in two, but a 4wd would likely for the gapping well, and give you a better chance to elevate the ball off the deck when needed, and still usable off the tee. For me, I prefer to have options off the tee vs. 'attacking' long approach shots as I find myself in that situation/need far more often. So a hybrid in the 18*-19* range should fit the next gap with a couple degrees more loft and a 2"-3" shorter shaft than the 4wd.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I'm in your current dilemma, too. I think it depends on the courses you play and the distances you need to hit, and how you use the clubs.

I'm also pretty much your skill level, 11hcp, driver between 112-115 on my good days but I tend to play 6100 - 6400 yard tees and occasionally, 6700. I rarely find myself needing to hit 3w on most courses... It's either too much club or I still have a long way to go on a par 5 and I'd rather punch something up that I know I will hit straight. I've played 6 rounds this year and only hit 3w off the deck 2 times. One surprisingly good shot that got me an eagle putt, and one sweet pull hook into the rough 180 yards away.

Otherwise, just go the normal route of 3w, 5w/hy but opt for some lower lie/adjustable options maybe. The new Flash woods are really good, and I guess good things are being said about the new G410 hybrid. I really like Titleist hybrids myself as they feel and look very iron like but still spin a decent amount for stopping power. I could probably just loft my 19* up to 20.75* and use that as my 215-220 club, driving iron for everything else.

I’m working on this as well... I’d love to find a 230 yard club I consistently hit straight and a 3w I can knock 260 with good consistency... I think that’s the best set up for me on my home course.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @Storms said:

> I'd suggest the 3 iron you were looking at and a 16.5* 4 wood. You should have the swing speed for the iron, and the 4 wood will be easier to hit due to the short shaft and extra loft and probably bridge the gap nicely between driver and 3 iron. Definitely try and hit a few to find the right shaft at your local shop if you can.

Gotta agree with this. The 4 wood will give you a variety of options, fly straighter than a lower lofted 3 wood, and not infringe on your driver. 3 fli hi is a no brainer since you like the 4 so much. I think this is the way to go unless you put the time in to get fit and try out a bunch of options.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

I hover around the same swing speed and use a 16.5° 3 wood. Pretty accurate at 240 and can stretch over 250 if needed. Not a lot of roll out, but if I'm looking for roll out I just hit a smooth driver. I then go 19° and 22° hybrids, 225-230 yards and 215 yards respectively. I use them just like my irons and look to hit specific numbers. I don't play enough linksy courses to want something that rolls forever.

Sometimes I'll swap the 4 hybrid out for a 13° 3 wood when I know I'm playing someplace that's more punishing for a wayward tee shot. I think it's really helpful to know what shots you're going to play on a given course and build your set around that. Gives you a good excuse for all the extra clubs in the basement too.

If you like the FLIHI, add the 3i FOR SURE.

I agree with both reviews of the Cobra wood and hybrid. I have a Cobra driver and love it. But I could never find any consistency with either the fairway wood or hybrid.

I really like what Ping has done with their G410s hybrids and woods. I have found those the easiest to hit of everything I tried. I have a pretty similar tendency to you as well, although my swing speed might be a touch higher (to my detriment, most of the time). If I were to pick up a 3W, it would be the G410...I'm just a little gun-shy to pull the trigger (see what I did there?!) on a $400 club I'll hit 1-2x a round. Good luck!

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

Similar to what has been said, my only high launch low spin focus is my driver. After that, I wanted my 3 wood to be a club I can go after greens with rather than carrying it 250+ off the tee. My focus when looking for a 3 wood was what did I hit off of the deck with the most height. I found the Ping G400 was the best for me due to its very shallow profile. I kept that same mentality with my 3 hybrid to bridge the gap between my 3w and my 4 iron. This has worked for me and allowed me to have more wedge options. I have a pretty big gap between my driver and my 3 wood (260+ driver - 235 carry 3 wood off the deck) but I would rather be confident with it. I think determining what you want your 3 wood to do, then finding the right loft (maybe a 4 wood) will help.

This exact question has cost me a ridiculous amount of time, money, and frustration to answer, so I won't even try. I'll just say good luck.

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I'm far below you in clubhead speed and a good bit higher in handicap so take this for what it's worth. Above my longest iron I always shoot for two clubs.

One that's the longest-hitting club I can elevate enough to clear a bunker or hazard and still hold the green. Basically a long approach go-for-it club. In my current set that's a 4-hybrid adjusted up to 23 degrees.

And one that's the longest club I can hit from the fairway in terms of carry+roll total distance. I think of this as my "basher" to just bash the ball forward as far as possible even if I can't hit a high, soft-landing shot with it. Currently using a 3-hybrid adjusted strong to 17 degrees.

I think I'm with the guy who said you can probably hit a 3-iron as your long-approach club. The FliHi sounds like a great option. Or maybe find some other 3-hybrid you don't hook (the thought of a hooking 3-hybrid for someone with your clubhead speed is pretty scary!).

The other club probably just needs you to find a different 3w that you hit consistently. I'd think you can probably find one.

> @Storms said:

> I'd suggest... a **16.5* 4 wood.** You should have the swing speed... and the 4 wood will be easier to hit due to the short shaft and extra loft...

At a prior demo day, the Tour Edge rep had the willing try out the new Exotics FWs, both 3W and 4W. Many of us found we could hit the 4W more reliably - and longer - than the 3W. This included a couple of big hitters who also got more out of the 4W. Give the 4W a try.

As for hybrids and hooks, try out the Tour Edge models. Lots of variety, and the TE players reps bill them as left-proof.

* [https://touredge.com/products/cbxhybrid.asp](https://www.touredge.com/products/cbxhybrid.asp "https://touredge.com/products/cbxhybrid.asp"), and...

* [https://touredge.com/products/cbx119hybrid.asp](https://www.touredge.com/products/cbx119hybrid.asp "https://touredge.com/products/cbx119hybrid.asp")

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Thanks for the responses guys, still digesting the information. I honestly do (did really...) love my Cobra 3h but lately I've been working out a in-out swing path and my mishits just absolutely crush the sharpest duck hook that I get nervous when I'm hitting and there's another fairway on my left... But when I do hit it pure it does fly very high and far to land almost perfectly. I might start working more on my 2UDI for now to see if i can strike it well and elevate it so I can use it off the tee (for shots I don't need to hit far) and from the fairways (needa find a way to elevate). I only switched the shafts to the ones similar to my irons for the shorter length thus more control from the stock hzrdus black 6.0 shaft.